saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Modifications
  •  » Adding a second cig. lighter inside the dash for hidden accessories

#1 2006-01-12 17:07:06

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
User Number: 1
Website

Adding a second cig. lighter inside the dash for hidden accessories

I posted these directions in another thread but I think they are pretty helpful:

0) buy this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index … Id=2062272 and get a small flathead screwdriver
1) pull up on the bottom edge of the bottom trim piece (closest to the e-brake and cupholders) by putting a screwdriver under it or using your fingers in the shift boot (on a manual). there is one plastic tab that holds it here. just lift up and it will pop right out.
2) lift the entire section out -- this is the plastic piece that contains the shift boot and the ashtray etc
3) once you've exposed the back of the cig lighter, there is a plug in the back of the lighter, and then a wiring harness about 1inch up the cable from the back of the plug. just squeeze the tab on the wiring harness and pull it apart. this will disconnect the power to the cig lighter and let you lift the entire assembly up out of the car (unscrew your shift knob if needed)
4) now looking at the back of the cig lighter plug, pull the white plastic L shaped housing that connects the wire to the back of the cig lighter. this pulls straight off. you should now have a 1inch piece of wire in your hand with the click-style wiring harness to connect to car wiring on one end, and the L shaped plastic plug that mates with the cig lighter in the other. You can disconnect the little wire that powers the ashtray lightbulb if you need.
5) inspecting the inside of the L shaped plastic connector (that plugs into the two prongs on the back of the cig lighter) you will see there is a metal contact inside of each leg of the L shapled plastic plug. stick a small flathead screwdriver down in and release the tiny tab (on the inside edge of the L-shape I think) while pulling the wire and it will pop free of the plasting housing
6) you will now have a wire with a crimped on metal clip; wrap your power wire from your radio shack cig lighter kit tightly around the exposed part of the metal clip, and push it back into the L shaped plastic thing. This might take a try or two as it's a tight fit -- but it's tight enough that it won't come out under any circumstance (at least not until you use a screwdriver to push the tab which frees the metal clip from the plastic housing again), and there are no exposed wires as they are now protected under the plastic of the L shaped thing.
7) repeat for the ground wire
8) make sure both of the metal clips are secured back into the L shaped connector -- you shouldn't be able to pull them out without sticking something in to release the tab again, so push hard. this will insure that the wires will stay in there indefinately
9) plug the L shaped connector back into the back of the cig lighter, and plug the wire into the car's wiring harness that you unhooked before and re-assemble

you've now tapped the cig lighter to add an internal cig lighter with zero soldering, tape, crimping, or really any tools at all. it takes me about 90 seconds to take the lower console piece off, unplug the cig lighter, pop out the metal prongs, wrap the power wire and ground wire to the respectrive prong, and put it together again (i keep doing it as i keep switching between ipod solutions)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2006-01-12 18:31:31

ikkue
I the King of Fart Can!
Supporter
User Number: 501
Website

Re: Adding a second cig. lighter inside the dash for hidden accessories

TTIWWP  biggrin biggrin

iota wrote:

I posted these directions in another thread but I think they are pretty helpful:

0) buy this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index … Id=2062272 and get a small flathead screwdriver
1) pull up on the bottom edge of the bottom trim piece (closest to the e-brake and cupholders) by putting a screwdriver under it or using your fingers in the shift boot (on a manual). there is one plastic tab that holds it here. just lift up and it will pop right out.
2) lift the entire section out -- this is the plastic piece that contains the shift boot and the ashtray etc
3) once you've exposed the back of the cig lighter, there is a plug in the back of the lighter, and then a wiring harness about 1inch up the cable from the back of the plug. just squeeze the tab on the wiring harness and pull it apart. this will disconnect the power to the cig lighter and let you lift the entire assembly up out of the car (unscrew your shift knob if needed)
4) now looking at the back of the cig lighter plug, pull the white plastic L shaped housing that connects the wire to the back of the cig lighter. this pulls straight off. you should now have a 1inch piece of wire in your hand with the click-style wiring harness to connect to car wiring on one end, and the L shaped plastic plug that mates with the cig lighter in the other. You can disconnect the little wire that powers the ashtray lightbulb if you need.
5) inspecting the inside of the L shaped plastic connector (that plugs into the two prongs on the back of the cig lighter) you will see there is a metal contact inside of each leg of the L shapled plastic plug. stick a small flathead screwdriver down in and release the tiny tab (on the inside edge of the L-shape I think) while pulling the wire and it will pop free of the plasting housing
6) you will now have a wire with a crimped on metal clip; wrap your power wire from your radio shack cig lighter kit tightly around the exposed part of the metal clip, and push it back into the L shaped plastic thing. This might take a try or two as it's a tight fit -- but it's tight enough that it won't come out under any circumstance (at least not until you use a screwdriver to push the tab which frees the metal clip from the plastic housing again), and there are no exposed wires as they are now protected under the plastic of the L shaped thing.
7) repeat for the ground wire
8) make sure both of the metal clips are secured back into the L shaped connector -- you shouldn't be able to pull them out without sticking something in to release the tab again, so push hard. this will insure that the wires will stay in there indefinately
9) plug the L shaped connector back into the back of the cig lighter, and plug the wire into the car's wiring harness that you unhooked before and re-assemble

you've now tapped the cig lighter to add an internal cig lighter with zero soldering, tape, crimping, or really any tools at all. it takes me about 90 seconds to take the lower console piece off, unplug the cig lighter, pop out the metal prongs, wrap the power wire and ground wire to the respectrive prong, and put it together again (i keep doing it as i keep switching between ipod solutions)

2005 Satin Gray AERO MT
Cobb AccessPort Stage 2/HKS Hi-Power Exhaust/Helix Catted Downpipe/Subaru Sti Uppipe/Cobb Turbo Heatshield /17" BBS RK /Pioneer AVIC D1 / Sylvania SilverStar H1/DupliColor Caliper Paint/35-20 Ceremic Tints/Cobra Radar Detector/DRL Disabled Mod/Silencer Delete Mod/Custom 2.0T Badge/OEM Rear Cupholder/Michigan License Plates (GO BLUE!)/IXIZShift II

#3 2006-03-26 17:17:58

macberry
My other car has two wheels
Supporter
User Number: 410

Iota - Where and how did you mount the second outlet?

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

#4 2006-03-26 17:25:52

iota
Founder
Website

chuck92ex wrote:

Iota - Where and how did you mount the second outlet?

I didn't mount it anywhere, actually... it's just inside of the console behind the cig lighter, there is a big open space in there above the airbag control module. I think I might have velcroed it. My purpose was to hide the extra item that needed the cig lighter inside of the dash.

You could easily drill a hole somewhere in the dash and fit the new cig lighter there

#5 2006-03-26 17:28:07

pghgreg
User Number: 1036

I did this last weekend with the radio shack kit. I used the extra outlet for a blekin ipod power supply (the cable comes out now where the ashtray would slide in --fits my ipod mini too) The extra outlet and the belkin fit behind the console. I saw no reason to attach this combination to anything. Seems quite insulated and secure and easy to access if I need to adjust anything.

On an unrelated note, I recommend the hard wired scosche FM modulator from Crutchfield. The switch snaps into place where the retainer clip for the ashtray is. Out of site and works great. No interference and quick instal.

2006 2.5i in nordic gray / manual / leather package / cold package / sunroof
Mods/Accessories: 50% tint / compass mirror / OEM 6-disc changer / component speakers / oem sub /silver bezel add / aluminum pedal add (mostly) / armrest extension / dog guard / subie cargo mat / cuphldr / 17" rims / OEM fogs

2002 9-3 rag top

#6 2006-03-26 19:32:55

mbc
User Number: 278
Website

pghgreg wrote:

I did this last weekend with the radio shack kit. I used the extra outlet for a blekin ipod power supply (the cable comes out now where the ashtray would slide in --fits my ipod mini too) The extra outlet and the belkin fit behind the console. I saw no reason to attach this combination to anything. Seems quite insulated and secure and easy to access if I need to adjust anything.

On an unrelated note, I recommend the hard wired scosche FM modulator from Crutchfield. The switch snaps into place where the retainer clip for the ashtray is. Out of site and works great. No interference and quick instal.

Something like this?
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2821/auxpower6kj.jpg  http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6511/auxpower11bx.jpg

I did something similar when I bought my car...  Replaced the HU with a Sony that had a line in (thanks, Sony Visa!), and the ipod dock connector comes out under the side of the center console between the cupholder and passenger's seat.  There's a ton of space behind the ashtray...  All in all, it works well.

mbC

Last edited by mbc (2006-03-26 19:34:33)

07 9-3 SportCombi 2.0t
Titan Grey - 6mt - 60th Anniversary - Moonroof - Cold Package - Sexy Wheels

#7 2006-03-26 19:55:34

JerseyJoe
User Number: 112

I did something similar when I installed my GPS.  You could install another cigarette lighter plug on the passenger side (instead of the drivers side, like mine)

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1183/dscn31109fq.th.jpg

2005 Arctic Silver Aero 5MT - Open Stg 1 - When am I going to go Stage 2?
1971 Sunburst Orange Datsun 240Z 4MT - 99% factory original

#8 2006-03-26 19:58:38

Whateverland
Supporter
User Number: 105
Website

JerseyJoe wrote:

I did something similar when I installed my GPS.  You could install another cigarette lighter plug on the passenger side (instead of the drivers side, like mine)

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/1183/d … 9fq.th.jpg

Excellent job!  I have a Garmin iQue 3600 which uses the same type of adapter I would really love to do something like this!

'05 Aero Red / Protuned VF34 @ 285whp/280wtq 93oct (Sold 2014)

#9 2006-03-26 21:08:32

iota
Founder
Website

Thats what I did. How did you hook up to the existing cig lighter wiring? My trick (in the OP) is to just pop out the metal contacts from the white plastic connector (after unplugging it from the back of the lighter's heating element), then wrap your power and ground wires around those and stick them back in the connector. No soldering, tight fit keeps the wires from popping out (ie, it's impossible to pull them out), and it's safe because thats exactly how the existing connectors work.

#10 2006-03-26 21:38:31

mbc
User Number: 278
Website

iota wrote:

Thats what I did. How did you hook up to the existing cig lighter wiring? My trick (in the OP) is to just pop out the metal contacts from the white plastic connector (after unplugging it from the back of the lighter's heating element), then wrap your power and ground wires around those and stick them back in the connector. No soldering, tight fit keeps the wires from popping out (ie, it's impossible to pull them out), and it's safe because thats exactly how the existing connectors work.

I used some of those splicing crimps-  they tap an existing line and allow you to add another, and I had some lying around.  Sort of like this:
http://www.dieselveg.com/blue%20splice%20l.jpg  (existing wire runs through, second lies beside it).  Handy little buggers.  Also had my radar detector wired up through the back, behind the clock, but moved it to run iff the map light wiring- that way, the wire doesn't get in the way when I use my sunshade...

marc

07 9-3 SportCombi 2.0t
Titan Grey - 6mt - 60th Anniversary - Moonroof - Cold Package - Sexy Wheels

#11 2006-03-27 10:42:15

macberry
My other car has two wheels
Supporter
User Number: 410

I'm gonna try to do this but mount the extra outlet on the passenger side, under the dash and next to the center console.  Right now, I'm using the factory cigarette lighter socket for my Griffin RoadTrip for my iPod https://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=5944  I think a double socket adaptor (I have one like this http://www.shop.com/op/~Universal_Cigar … d-27025995 that I use in my Trooper) is not going to work with my RoadTrip (both in terms of being able to support it and not having it interfere with the shifter).  I'd like to have a second socket to be able to charge my cell phone or when I'm using my GPS.

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

#12 2009-03-12 22:19:39

SubZero
2005 Saab 9-2x Aero
User Number: 2716

Did this today to keep my Garmin power supply hidden and plugged in behind the dash. The wire comes out from under clock pod and plugs right into the Garmin. Much cleaner look than running the wire from the stock cig lighter over the stereo/hvac panel up to the middle of the dash. Thanks for the install directions!

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero - 5MT - Arctic Silver
Premium and Cold Weather Package
IxizSpedal, IxizSclutch, IxizStart
OEM rear cup holder, armrest extension, floor & cargo mats, door & trunk sills, trunk tray

#13 2009-03-13 16:28:31

iota
Founder
Website

up

#14 2009-06-06 17:07:38

hqp921
:unamused:
User Number: 3707

Just did this today for my cell phone charger -- pulled it up through the ashtray.  Very nice!  banana

#15 2009-06-13 23:07:29

Freerider4
User Number: 1064

Stuck mine in the trunk under the right hand side floor pannel, for when we were camping and had the back of the car up to the tent.

So I could get some power for light , keeping an electric cooler cool ( ..cold beer )etc.

#16 2009-09-30 10:42:50

Superchunk
User Number: 3866

The link the the radioshack product is broken - could someone link me to a similar product, not sure exactly what is being used here.

Thanks, I want to try and do this, maybe this weekend.  I can't stand the un-clean-ness of my gps so i just don't use it much in the 92x.

#17 2009-09-30 11:57:44

Dave L
User Number: 3109

This is what I used. The link is to CanadianTire which is in Canada (where I live) but I think it would be fairly common at any auto place. Basically its a 2 socket outlet with just wires on the end. It took my longer to decide where to actually mount the outlet than to do the wiring

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 … 2BPlug.jsp

'05 Saab 92x Linear
'06 Mazda3
'88 944S

#18 2009-09-30 13:31:09

Superchunk

Awesome, thanks - I think I have the exact same one, also from CT and I'm not really using it.

Is there a good way to string a wire into a vent or something or would I be looking at drilling a hole to have the GPS go straight down into the dash somewhere for minimal wiring.  I think I'll set up an FM transmitter or maybe an ipod charger while i"m at it.

Am I correct that there is no aux port on the back of our stock 6 disc changer for plugging in an ipod or something?  I really can't afford a new hu for a while...

#19 2009-09-30 13:46:19

scoop
User Number: 3481

Out of curiousity, do you need to use the added outlet?  It seems to me that, if your device runs off 12V, that you could take the power cable from the device, cut off the cigarette plug adaptor from the end, and then just spice the bare ends of the wire onto the existing cigarette/power plug. 

Obviously if your device runs off 5V or something, and the power plug that fits into the cigarette adaptor has an internal transformer, this wouldn't work.  And obviously having the plug makes it a little more "user friendly" to plug and unplug devices.  But most GPS units I've seen run off 12V, so I think this would work, no?

#20 2009-09-30 13:49:19

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

If the device runs off 12v, there's no reason I could see that that wouldn't work, so long as you run an inline fuse, and do a good enough job on the splice. 

Personally, I added another outlet for versatility in what I could use it for.

#21 2009-09-30 20:08:34

Dave L
User Number: 3109

Superchunk wrote:

Awesome, thanks - I think I have the exact same one, also from CT and I'm not really using it.

Is there a good way to string a wire into a vent or something or would I be looking at drilling a hole to have the GPS go straight down into the dash somewhere for minimal wiring.  I think I'll set up an FM transmitter or maybe an ipod charger while i"m at it.

I thought about running wires up and drilling a hole in the clock pod. What I ended up doing was running the outlet to the passenger side and mounting it on the tunnel. The charger cable runs up the side  beside the stereo so its out of the way, to charge anything with a USB I use something similar to this

http://gizmodo.com/5341755/stubby-usb-a … te-lighter

Last edited by Dave L (2009-09-30 20:10:42)

'05 Saab 92x Linear
'06 Mazda3
'88 944S

#22 2009-10-03 09:09:14

Superchunk

Great mod, thanks guys.  I did this yesterday - quick and easy.  I have the wires going out the side up into the glove box where i put an fm transmitter and Ipod ($12 and works pretty darn well) and then my gps wire going up the passanger side and tucked into the dash piece at the window.  You can only see 4" of wire and I can keep my cig lighter door closed.  Love it.  Also makes me less anxious to buy a stereo I can't afford as I've sorta gotten used to the sound  quality but really wanted some ipod action.

#23 2009-10-03 10:49:47

Mica32J
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3723

Superchunk wrote:

Great mod, thanks guys.  I did this yesterday - quick and easy.  I have the wires going out the side up into the glove box where i put an fm transmitter and Ipod ($12 and works pretty darn well) and then my gps wire going up the passanger side and tucked into the dash piece at the window.  You can only see 4" of wire and I can keep my cig lighter door closed.  Love it.  Also makes me less anxious to buy a stereo I can't afford as I've sorta gotten used to the sound  quality but really wanted some ipod action.

I installed mine last week, also in the glove box.  Very easy install, especially as we're all used to removing this gear to get at the air cabin filter.  Just remember to install the mount farther back to allow the door to close with whatever you have plugged in.  Save you doing it over like I did.  Mainly used for GPS or DVD in back for the kids.

05 Midnight Black Mica  92x Aero
5MT, Fully Loaded, Stage2, Cobb DP / Sti Catt back
Modified Ixiz§hift - Short Shifter, C-124 Stereo w Aux, (+40 other mods including Rubber inserts for Cup Holder biggrin)

• Home
  •  » Modifications
  •  » Adding a second cig. lighter inside the dash for hidden accessories

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.