saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-06-17 10:15:44

Chairman Kaga
User Number: 226

Imprezas #1 lemon on the market?

A friend of mine sent me this link when I told him I'd bought a Saabaru.
http://kdka.com/consumer/local_story_203181939.html
I was under impression Subaru was leading the pack for initial quality? Does anyone have more info on reliability issues?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-06-17 10:25:17

parker
User Number: 149

Re: Imprezas #1 lemon on the market?

That's pretty weird, considering the WRX/STI were Consumer Report's Top Pick and rated very highly across the board for reliability.

2005 9-2x Aero (Arctic Silver) MT/Cold
2021 Kia Niro EV EX Premium

#3 2005-06-17 13:32:28

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

I wouldn’t give this report too much credence.  They are basing their lemon claim based on the number of COMPLAINTS made to the NHTSA, not the number of actual PROBLEMS or the number of investigations opened.

Back when the Nissan Sentra SE-R was new there was an issue with the transmission popping out of 5th gear.  One of the avenues taken to try to get Nissan to fix it was for everyone to complain to the NHTSA about the problem.(It didn't work in case you were wondering.  NHTSA said it didn't affect safety so they wouldn't act.)

If you look at the primary complaints about the Impreza they are about the ABS brakes (the ABS is widely claimed to be over active) and trouble shifting gears (we all know how well we like the 92x’s shifter.)  Especially telling is that the NHTSA received almost 28,000 complaints on the 2004 Impreza, but are projected to get 1,157 complaints on the 2005 model.  I don’t know that Subaru changed that much from 2004 to 2005 (did Subaru even sell 28,000 Imprezas in 2004?) so I suspect a complaint campaign to the NHTSA last year.

If you are really interested, you can pull up the problem reports at the NHTSA website.

#4 2005-06-17 14:37:55

klever1
Yes that's me... in a wagon...
User Number: 136

My dealer said he has had absolutely no warranty reports on his 92xs (thirty-five+ over two years). He was embarrassed 'cuz the Saabs come back often.

my .02...

Arctic Silver Aero 5speed cold and premium -Accessport1

#5 2005-06-24 02:23:20

hotrod
User Number: 345

The WRX had some issues when it first came out but the the Subaru line in general is well known for giving long trouble free service if reasonable care is given. I have an 88 GL subaru that I just dropped a new engine in, at 187,000 miles. It was still running fine but I got a good deal on the engine and it was due to have the cam belts changed. I have no doubt I could have gotten 210K +out of it if I had just replaced the cam belts. It was still getting 27+ mph, but used a bit of oil.

On the 2002 WRX the ABS system had some issues with over sensitivity that led to occasional surprises to drivers under a very specific set of circumstances ( I was one of those drivers). Owners on the major forums like Nasioc, made a specific campaign to file complaints on the issue with NHTSA. Subaru changed the ABS design the next year.

The engine issues were due to low IQ attempts at high performance tuning. The Subaru engine has low tolerance to detonation. Feed it adequate octane and tune it intellegently and you can get 350 - 400 hp out of the 2.0 L engine with out a great deal of effort. Try to tune it to the bleeding edge on pump gas and one mistake and you break a piston ring or ring land ( typically in #4 -- drivers side rear). Oil consumption goes sky high and power is a bit flat. Compression tests for this failure look like 140# 142# 60# 140#.

This is a nut behind the wheel problem folks just did not give proper respect to detonation.

The transmission problems in the early WRX were a combination of both driver problems and a design problem. Subaru was not used to building performance cars in a market were drag racing was poplular. Clutch drop launches did not set well with the 5MT transmission. This was due to two problems. The gears were a bit weak (upgraded to wider gears in following years). They also added a flow control check valve in the '03 or later hydraulic clutch system that would not allow a hard clutch drop by limiting how fast the clutch fluid can flow. The other drivers issue was that many users felt a need to go to very hard agressive biting performance clutch. This is a bad idea on AWD cars  due to the very high traction provided by the AWD system gives no safe weak link for massive shock loads from a drag strip start. The OEM clutch is actually capable up into the high 300 Hp and low 400 hp range if properly broken in and seasoned, and the driver has a bit of common sense. It slips just enough on a hard launch to protect the drive train.

The other issue is that the 5MT transmission is an old design and did not tolerate idiots well. Good rev matching skills are necessary on down shift (especially 2 --> 1 gears due to the wide split). Drivers that drive with their hand hanging on the shift lever burnt up the syncros. It is by nature a notchy transmission, learn to love it for what it is and you will not have problems.

I have 47,000 miles on the OEM clutch and the OEM 5Mt in a 2002 WRX (early delivery date about 6 weeks after they became available) I have over 100 drag strip launches on it, the transmission still shifts just fine, and the clutch is a happy camper. Current mods put power at the wheels in the 250 hp range, 300 at the crank.

For users that are not power happy or stupid you should not have problems out of the ordinary for any new car line.

Larry

Last edited by hotrod (2005-06-24 02:25:36)

2002 Impreza WRX  -- 13.239@102.85 @ 5800 ft on stock TD04L-13T turbo

#6 2005-07-11 18:34:40

SaabRX
2016 BCS FOZ XT
Supporter
User Number: 502

hotrod wrote:

The WRX had some issues when it first came out but the the Subaru line in general is well known for giving long trouble free service if reasonable care is given. I have an 88 GL subaru that I just dropped a new engine in, at 187,000 miles. It was still running fine but I got a good deal on the engine and it was due to have the cam belts changed. I have no doubt I could have gotten 210K +out of it if I had just replaced the cam belts. It was still getting 27+ mph, but used a bit of oil.

On the 2002 WRX the ABS system had some issues with over sensitivity that led to occasional surprises to drivers under a very specific set of circumstances ( I was one of those drivers). Owners on the major forums like Nasioc, made a specific campaign to file complaints on the issue with NHTSA. Subaru changed the ABS design the next year.

The engine issues were due to low IQ attempts at high performance tuning. The Subaru engine has low tolerance to detonation. Feed it adequate octane and tune it intellegently and you can get 350 - 400 hp out of the 2.0 L engine with out a great deal of effort. Try to tune it to the bleeding edge on pump gas and one mistake and you break a piston ring or ring land ( typically in #4 -- drivers side rear). Oil consumption goes sky high and power is a bit flat. Compression tests for this failure look like 140# 142# 60# 140#.

This is a nut behind the wheel problem folks just did not give proper respect to detonation.

The transmission problems in the early WRX were a combination of both driver problems and a design problem. Subaru was not used to building performance cars in a market were drag racing was poplular. Clutch drop launches did not set well with the 5MT transmission. This was due to two problems. The gears were a bit weak (upgraded to wider gears in following years). They also added a flow control check valve in the '03 or later hydraulic clutch system that would not allow a hard clutch drop by limiting how fast the clutch fluid can flow. The other drivers issue was that many users felt a need to go to very hard agressive biting performance clutch. This is a bad idea on AWD cars  due to the very high traction provided by the AWD system gives no safe weak link for massive shock loads from a drag strip start. The OEM clutch is actually capable up into the high 300 Hp and low 400 hp range if properly broken in and seasoned, and the driver has a bit of common sense. It slips just enough on a hard launch to protect the drive train.

The other issue is that the 5MT transmission is an old design and did not tolerate idiots well. Good rev matching skills are necessary on down shift (especially 2 --> 1 gears due to the wide split). Drivers that drive with their hand hanging on the shift lever burnt up the syncros. It is by nature a notchy transmission, learn to love it for what it is and you will not have problems.

I have 47,000 miles on the OEM clutch and the OEM 5Mt in a 2002 WRX (early delivery date about 6 weeks after they became available) I have over 100 drag strip launches on it, the transmission still shifts just fine, and the clutch is a happy camper. Current mods put power at the wheels in the 250 hp range, 300 at the crank.

For users that are not power happy or stupid you should not have problems out of the ordinary for any new car line.

Larry

OWned Early model WRX.. ( I love you man) Hugs.... SUCH a great representation of the trannyS**

2002 WRB Bugeye  5MT Turbo
2005 Black Saabaru 5MT Turbo NEVER SHOULD OF SOLD IT! If I only knew ...
2014 DGM Forester XT  Premium
2016 BCS  Forester XT Premium

#7 2005-07-11 18:35:06

SaabRX
2016 BCS FOZ XT
Supporter
User Number: 502

OWned Early model WRX.. ( I love you man) Hugs.... SUCH a great representation of the trannyS**

2002 WRB Bugeye  5MT Turbo
2005 Black Saabaru 5MT Turbo NEVER SHOULD OF SOLD IT! If I only knew ...
2014 DGM Forester XT  Premium
2016 BCS  Forester XT Premium

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.