saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-07-29 10:47:10

macberry
My other car has two wheels
Supporter
User Number: 410

Yellow fog lights

This is a follow-up to the group buy headlight bulbs put together by Scargo https://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=470  BTW, thanks to Scargo and Daniel at Stern Lighting for making that group buy possible http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I have an Aero w/premium package so was interested in the group buy just for the fog lights.  I wanted old school/Euro yellow fogs, reminiscent of the yellow Cibie fog lights I remember as a kid.  Unfortunately -- and this is neither Scargo's nor Daniel's fault -- the yellow fogs in the group buy (Navra dichroic yellow bulbs) aren't the yellow as I was looking for.  So I bought a pair of Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 bulbs from Automotive Lighting http://automotivelightingusa.com/index. … cts_id=351

For those that are looking for old school/Euro yellow fogs, the Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 bulbs are it.  The Nokyas are "stock wattage" bulbs but claim 70W output (like PIAA's similar claims, I don't believe the higher output claim).  The bases are marked 55W so don't be confused if some of the places selling them (including Automotive Lighting) list them as 70W bulbs.  FYI, I talked with the guys at Automotive Lighting before buying the Nokyas and they checked to make sure they were 55W bulbs because I told them I was concerned about running higher wattage bulbs in my fog lights.

I can't tell you what's involved in replacing the fog light bulbs because I was too lazy to do it myself.  I went to the dealer this morning and they did it for me.  Yes, it cost me $47.50 (30 minutes of labor), but I was willing to pay rather than figure it out myself.  I know that's lame, but I don't have a garage or ramps and I knew that getting to the fogs required getting underneath the car -- so just not worth it to me to DIY.  FYI, I can confirm that the OEM fog light bulbs are 55W bulbs.  I had the dealer save them for me in case I ever decide to go back to white.

I will take and post pics later this evening.  I want to take pics when it's getting darker out so the contrast between the HID headlights and yellow fogs is as noticeable as possible.

Finally, my Navra dichoric yellow 9006 bulbs are for sale.  $27 including shipping.  Basically what I paid for them (rounding up a few pennies to an even dollar amount) as part of the group buy.

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-07-29 12:06:54

purduealum91
User Number: 5

Re: Yellow fog lights

Thanks, ordered a pair.  Want that Euro look!

Red Saab 9-2X Aero 5 speed with cold package, rear cup holder, autodimming mirror with compass and homelink, trunk tray, cargo mat, kartboy short shifter and bushings, Silver Subaru Din Pcket, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 93 Octane v1.3, tinted windows (55% front, limo rear), Pioneer P4700MP head unit with Pioneer iPod adapter, APS uppipe and APS Turbo Back Exhaust w/ hi-flow cat
I drive only 5!

#3 2005-07-29 21:29:54

macberry
Supporter

Here are pics of my yellow fogs using Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 bulbs.  First, just the HID headlights:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3824/dscf0045a0bi.jpg

Now the HIDs with the fogs:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3118/dscf0046a6we.jpg

Close-up of one of the fog lights:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/381/dscf00474vv.jpg

It should be pretty apparent from the pics that the fogs are definitely not white (although they may not look as yellow as they really are -- but trust me, they're definitely yellow).

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

#4 2005-07-29 21:53:42

Methodman
Holy crip, he's a crapple.
User Number: 317

How do you like the look of it in person? I am really close to doing this type of mod. Kinda stinks that for a $18 product, shipping is $10. sad

Not that the money is that big a deal, just want your $.02

2015 WRX Limited    2017 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue      Crystal White Pearl
       His                             Hers

#5 2005-07-29 22:04:40

macberry
Supporter

Methodman wrote:

How do you like the look of it in person? I am really close to doing this type of mod. Kinda stinks that for a $18 product, shipping is $10. sad

Not that the money is that big a deal, just want your $.02

I wanted YELLOW fogs.  Unfortunately, the Narva 9006 dichroic yellow fogs offered up on the group buy are more white than yellow.  The Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs give me the yellow I was looking for.  Both in how they look when you're looking at them.  And how they look from the driver's view.  I think the only way they could be more yellow is if the lens on the fog light was yellow. lol  So the short anwer is: I like 'em a lot. banana

BTW, who is charging $10 shipping for $18 bulbs???  My Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 bulbs from Automotive Lighting http://automotivelightingusa.com/index. … cts_id=351 were $22.99 plus another $5 for shipping = ~$28, but not $10 for shipping.

#6 2005-07-29 22:10:55

Methodman

Sorry, I got this confused with a different site-one that has the yellow film to cover the lens itself. Glad to hear you like them!!!

#7 2005-07-29 22:41:26

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter
User Number: 39

Methodman wrote:

Sorry, I got this confused with a different site-one that has the yellow film to cover the lens itself. Glad to hear you like them!!!

If that's us - $18 lens cover, yes, and shipping should be, what, $3?  If it is coming up $10 please let me know - the site uses a real time calculator tied to USPS and UPS (same way eBay does) but I have to tweak it sometimes to keep it from charging too much or too little.

Park Cities Performance Center
www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#8 2005-07-29 22:57:07

Methodman

Park Cities Performance Center out of Dallas

The GT yellow covers I'm interested in are $17.95. If you can give me a more accurate price for shipping (if this is you) then I'd be very interested in trying them out. You can pm me so we dont start a hijacking of this thread.

#9 2005-07-29 23:31:13

Abester
"Silently judging you"
User Number: 576

Ok what is the simple answer to how to go about purchasing these yellow fog lights?? Also if you was to get the yellow film fog light cover, would't u get the same output?

Gone: 2005 Midnight Black 9-2X Aero
Now: Sedona Red 2001 Subaru Impreza RS GC8
Other: 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R

#10 2005-07-30 08:26:02

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter

Methodman wrote:

Park Cities Performance Center out of Dallas

The GT yellow covers I'm interested in are $17.95. If you can give me a more accurate price for shipping (if this is you) then I'd be very interested in trying them out. You can pm me so we dont start a hijacking of this thread.

Just go to the site www.pcpcdallas.com (or directly to the product here http://www.pcpcdallas.com/index.asp?Pag … 2&HS=1) put it in the shopping cart and then use the button below it (left column) to calculate shipping.  It's automated.  smile

I don't know what your zip is, but I just did it using the zip of the town in PA where I grew up and USPS came out at $5.78.

UPS charges the same for an item under 1lb as they do for an item 1lb so we added USPS as an option for these smaller items a few months ago.

www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#11 2005-07-30 21:58:00

ErichCS
Quattro
User Number: 586

Chuck - Great thread for the information on the bulbs. I am very interested in the yellow look for the fog lights, as a more Euro look. I'm not sure what would make more sense...the yellow bulbs or the yellow lenses. I'd like to see some more dark pictures of the lenses to really compare them to your bulbs.

Erich

05 AUDI S4
05 Legacy 2.5GT Limited - Sold
Aero - Sold
87 924S - Lots of stuff...

#12 2005-07-31 08:09:51

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter

Bazillion pictures - headlights, foglights, sidelights, tailights - here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722728

www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#13 2005-07-31 16:14:56

ErichCS
Quattro

Thanks Trace, these have just been added to my list of things-to-buy big_smile

-Erich

05 AUDI S4
Aero - Sold

#14 2005-08-01 09:00:37

macberry
Supporter

ErichCS wrote:

Chuck - Great thread for the information on the bulbs. I am very interested in the yellow look for the fog lights, as a more Euro look. I'm not sure what would make more sense...the yellow bulbs or the yellow lenses. I'd like to see some more dark pictures of the lenses to really compare them to your bulbs.

Erich

You could try yellow lights and yellow lens covers for a really yellow yellow. lol

#15 2005-08-01 22:56:00

ErichCS
Quattro

I think the two yellows would cancel one another out though...i'd be left with white again:rolleyes:

05 AUDI S4
Aero - Sold

#16 2005-10-14 14:25:17

macberry
Supporter

UPDATE on my Nokya Hyper Yellow fog lights.  I dont' know how long it was out, but I noticed the other day that my passenger side fog light was out.  Took it to the dealer (because they had installed them for me) and found this:

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/6508/dscf00240eq.jpg

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

I'm thinking it was a defective bulb because if it was an inherent problem I would think both bulbs would have gone bad.  I will let AutomotiveLightingUSA.com know about it.  If anyone else has installed Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs in their fog lights, you might want to keep an eye on them just in case my problem isn't unique.

Fortunately, I still had the OEM bulbs as well as the Narva Azzurro dichoric yellow bulbs from the group buy that Scargo put together.  Had the dealer install the Narva bulbs.  They're not yellow like the Nokyas but I didn't feel like going to all the trouble and expense to get a second pair of Nokyas when I had two pairs of good bulbs in hand.

#17 2005-10-14 16:58:35

AbACUZ
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 839

I just got the nokyas at the mall ( Like, like, soo orange county !! )
20 bucks.

i will try them and let you know if they melt ..

hehehehhe  .   

BTW ! great pic , thankx for sharing. tongue tongue

#18 2005-10-14 17:39:26

Alan

I'm ditching the entire factory foglight setup because honestly.....they suck.  I upgraded my bulbs and they barely shoot 1-2 feet front of the car.  From behind the drivers seat, i could barely tell they are on.  Just picked up a set of old school Piaa 1200 ion fogs and hoping that they will fit in the same area as the stock fogs with minimal effort.

#19 2005-10-14 18:17:04

eurospek
Supporter
User Number: 181

Looks nice!

2016 VW GTI S 2-door Reflex Silver 6-spd

2014 VW Passat S 1.8 TSI
2005 SAAB 9-2X AERO Arctic Silver 4eat | COBB Stage 2 Protuned

#20 2005-10-16 15:48:02

jdm@heart
User Number: 577

chuck, is there any specific reason why you chose the nokyas?  i see there are a few other yellow bulb choices, a few more expensive but a few that are similar priced at that website...is there somewhere you researched these ccompanies?  im interested in yellow bulbs but would hate to experience your bulb bubble problem...  have you tried sending them back? the website says they have a warantee...that said, i might try the luminix jdm yellows.  they have a 55 watt draw just like oem...unlike the nokyas.  do you think that might have contributed to the issue? i dont really kno much about electronics like that but just a thought.  anyways good luck with that.

#21 2005-10-16 16:42:49

macberry
Supporter

jdm-

I tried the Nokyas because they came recommended by a motorcycle acquaintance.  Motorcycles are notorious for burning up light bulbs, so I figured if the Nokyas could withstand motorcycle use they'd hold up fine in a car.  FYI, the Nokyas are supposed to be 55W draw with a claimed output of 70W.  So the wattage shouldn't really be a problem.  If they were drawing too much wattage, I think I would've fried both bulbs or the wiring.  And I never believe the claims of higher output for a stock wattage bulb (like PIAA).  So I tend to believe it was a bad bulb.  I haven't had time to contact Automotive Lighting USA but will and see what they say.   Oh yeah, I chose the Nokyas because they are "real" yellow bulbs, which is the old school Euro look I was looking for (both from the driver's seat and to look at).  I thought about the Hella Yellowstars too, but I know they're not as yellow as the Nokyas.  But I'll make do with the Narva dichoic yellow bulbs (which really aren't yellow) since I have them.  And I still have the OEM bulbs too.

#22 2005-10-16 17:32:49

jdm@heart
User Number: 577

thx chuck maybe ill check out the nokyas hopin that it was just bad luck with that bulb you had...anyways good luck with that.

#23 2006-01-20 19:43:08

AbACUZ
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 839

well well Alan, we understand you may be ditching the fogs  tongue

BTW

the NOKYAS lights SUCK

Mine just popped 1 month after buing it !!!

#24 2012-10-04 15:08:13

saabduran
User Number: 7593

how do able do you guys think it is to get to the fog lights.....does it require ramps? or could i just squeeze under the car.. has anyone actually done it themselves?

#25 2012-10-04 16:21:41

thymighty
MFWIC
Supporter
User Number: 4733

saabduran wrote:

how do able do you guys think it is to get to the fog lights.....does it require ramps? or could i just squeeze under the car.. has anyone actually done it themselves?

Prepare yourself...

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.