saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-06-10 14:51:54

denneyjs
User Number: 190

Cost of ownership vs. WRX

Is the cost of ownership of a 9-2x Aero higher than the WRX?  For example, my insurance quote was 5% higher for the Aero than the WRX.  I'm also wondering if some kinds of repairs will cost more.

Any predictions for Aero depreciation relative to the WRX-- will it be more because Saab people generally don't want the 9-2x and most Subaru people don't look for the 9-2x? Do you think a 2-year old 9-2x Aero will sell for more or less than a WRX?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-06-10 18:13:33

rod442
User Number: 36

Re: Cost of ownership vs. WRX

repair will be the same.  there isn't anything really different that would cause maint to change either.  as far as resale, I expect it to be the same as well.

some people paid more for the saab (before rebates) and some paid less (after).   should be worth an equivalent amount, considering miles, condition etc.

12 ZX-14R   XCLR8
05 9-2x       SAABARU
00 Formula  INCONTT
88 Mustang  5LTR LX

#3 2005-06-11 00:36:47

Anand
The Dude Abides
User Number: 113

Resale values will be interesting to watch.  Best case, I think, is that we match the WRX resale values, in which some of us that bought with the rebates will actually have a car worth more than we paid for it big_smile  I don't think that'll happen though.  We may even pull down the resale value of WRXs...

2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

#4 2005-06-11 00:52:12

BlkKat
User Number: 179

Here are my guesses about resale value.  Though the current discounts are deep, I think we can expect them to stay for a while longer.  That means, the market will eventually figure out what has gone on with the price cuts.  If I had to bet, I'd bet a WRX would hold more of its purchase price value (less depreciation) just due to the much greater awareness of the brand/model.  Based on what I see in this board, the average Aero manual driver is far from a typical Saab customer, and they are not finding about the 9-2x from traditional marketing conducted by Saab itself.   So, in the future, other than tapping the local Subaru enthusiast market directly or using a specialty forum like this to sell your car, it's going to be hard to target market to prospective buyers.

My thoughts are that you'll get the best resale value in one of two ways - trading it in at a Saab dealer on another new car or selling it private party to a customer looking either for a brand name used car for their college kid or someone extremely informed about what it is they're buying (similar to the people on this forum).  Option two could take a while.

My plan is to buy and hold, that's why I didn't really worry about the resale value.  It would be nice to hope that this weird pricing inversion would hold, and everyone's cars would be worth as much or more than they paid for them in a couple years, but frankly, I doubt it.  I took a look at the lease-end values in May and I roughly figured that the rebates are sort of comping you on the steep 1-2 year depreciation that comes from buying new, and that's about it.

Long-term, more worrisome than the price of repairs to me will be the easy availability of specialized parts like replacement bumpers.  So, be careful with your new baby!

Enjoy the car and forget about what comes next!  wink

#5 2005-06-11 00:59:40

rice8007
Silver 05 Aero
User Number: 167

here is something to think about...i ahve a 3 year lease and the residual value is only 12k on a 25k car.  that might say something

#6 2005-06-11 01:12:00

BlkKat

Right - I think after a 4 year lease, the Saab dealer I worked with was quoting a 40% residual value - or something really low in that range.  I paid about $18K for my Linear including TTL due to insane levels of employee discounting in May, and in 4 years, I guessed it had a fair chance of being worth about $10K (about 40% of $25K MSRP).  I expect to have lower than average mileage, and if I don't keep it forever, I'd likely trade it in for a 9-3 Sport Sedan, so I think I can probably get to a fair level of annual cost to drive.

Also, I did some other research and some of the independent websites showed Audis and other Saabs having about 40% residual value (in the marketplace, not on supported leases) in general after about four years.  That's just the way it goes at the bottom end of the luxury market.

Last edited by BlkKat (2005-06-11 01:13:51)

#7 2005-06-11 15:31:14

T-St Saab
User Number: 122

i think the 92x will depreciate more quickly . . . but w/ an msrp that it quite a bit higher . . . .it will take a while for our saab's to depreciate below wrx's

it should be interesting to see

#8 2005-06-13 15:53:29

LilRedWagon
Pretty Huge Member
User Number: 93

rice8007 wrote:

here is something to think about...i ahve a 3 year lease and the residual value is only 12k on a 25k car.  that might say something

That's odd I got a 3 year lease and they quoted me a 14k residual.  I thought the residual value was set by Saab.  When did you lease your car?  Got mine at the end of May.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5 speed, Brilliant Red, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport packages

#9 2005-06-13 23:21:44

rod442
User Number: 36

maybe his is a linnear?  going by sticker, aero's are not 25k cars.

12 ZX-14R   XCLR8
05 9-2x       SAABARU
00 Formula  INCONTT
88 Mustang  5LTR LX

#10 2005-06-13 23:42:00

BlkKat

If you're talking about my example, it was a Linear.  That's correct.   Probably the other poster's example is based on a Linear as well. However, I don't think one could assume that an Aero will hold its value better (percentage-wise) than a Linear, EXCEPT IN A PRIVATE PARTY SALE TO A KNOWLEDGEABLE ENTHUSIAST.  And those people might be more likely to drive a hard bargain! Look at all the "fatwalleters" we are hanging out with here!  The Saab dealer's sheet didn't look like it had different columns for Aero vs. Linear either - though I didn't take a close look beyond just verifying the residual percentages with my own eyes.

#11 2005-06-15 03:03:45

denneyjs
User Number: 190

BlkKat wrote:

Long-term, more worrisome than the price of repairs to me will be the easy availability of specialized parts like replacement bumpers.  So, be careful with your new baby!

That's the part that worries me most.  The WRX is being totally redesigned for 2007, so the specialized 9-2x parts will only have a 2-year run.  If the Aero is discontinued after 2005 (as some people guess)  then parts like the 9-2x Aero hood may only have been in production for 1 year.  Is Saab under any obligation to keep those specialized parts available for a certain amount of time?  Or will there be a point in the near future when those parts are just not available?

#12 2005-06-15 11:53:52

FastWagon
User Number: 180

I've heard that companies have a legal obligation to supply parts for a minimum of 10 years.  I don't have a lot to back it up, but I've heard the same 10 year quote from multiple people.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT
Satin Gray Metallic
Cold Weather Package
Cobb AP Stage 1, Prodrive shift knob

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.