saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-05-18 12:25:15

M8
User Number: 37

I went stealth

Lastnight I removed the Scoobysport muffler and replaced it with the muffler from an 04 STI. As much as I love deep rumble of the Scoobysport it's nice to be low profile again. So now I have a modified "stealth-back" exhaust: Scoobysport up and down pipes, factory 3rd cat left in place, Scoobysport mid-pipe into the STI axle-back. The Sti unit is quite a bit bulkier and heavier than the Scoobysport, but fit is perfect. It's tip is larger too, but it is nice and quiet until WOT. All you can really hear now (that distinguishes the car from stock) is the whistle of the turbo under load.

Defender 90, no more toy cars for me

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-05-18 12:35:54

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter
User Number: 39

Re: I went stealth

Aha!  So you can answer the debate that rages (on other forums) about whether OEM and/or aftermarket Impreza/WRX/STi exhaust systems fit into/under the stock under-bumper opening on a 92x.  Yes?

Park Cities Performance Center
www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#3 2005-05-18 12:49:30

M8

Well so far i've had the two non "Saab" exhausts under there: Scoobysport and OEM STI; both fit with no issues at all. The factory hangers are all located perfectly and the rear bumper is not an issue. Our aeros came with a pretty substantial rear exhaust tip to begin with.

#4 2005-05-18 18:38:40

Avantt
User Number: 52

you got any pics to show us? big_smile

*****For SALE*****
https://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=6254
click on my website link for PICS
'05 Black 92x Aero | AT/AWD |  Prodrive Springs | Tint

#5 2005-05-18 21:52:40

M8

Avantt wrote:

you got any pics to show us? big_smile

Sorry i don't. Just moved into my new place and the digi-cam is probably sitting in the bottom of a box somewhere wink

#6 2005-06-01 02:07:44

hiforum
User Number: 64

M8 wrote:

Lastnight I removed the Scoobysport muffler and replaced it with the muffler from an 04 STI. As much as I love deep rumble of the Scoobysport it's nice to be low profile again. So now I have a modified "stealth-back" exhaust: Scoobysport up and down pipes, factory 3rd cat left in place, Scoobysport mid-pipe into the STI axle-back. The Sti unit is quite a bit bulkier and heavier than the Scoobysport, but fit is perfect. It's tip is larger too, but it is nice and quiet until WOT. All you can really hear now (that distinguishes the car from stock) is the whistle of the turbo under load.

What does WOT mean?

I don't like loud, juvenile-sounding exhausts, and I prefer a sleeper car, so I'm thinking about doing the same thing you did, except I'd be putting on an STi cat-back exhaust, instead of just the muffler.  A local hi-performance shop recommended using a cheap, non-flex HKS up-pipe ($180) and said that pretty much any cat-less down-pipe would work with the system.  I'd be combining the modified up-pipe and turbo-back exhaust with a Cobb AccessPort.

What are your thoughts on 1) flex vs. non-flex up-pipe, 2) brand of up-pipe, down-pipe?  Why did you choose Scoobysport?

#7 2005-06-01 03:41:57

akaryrye
Enthusiast
User Number: 70

WOT = Wide open throttle

As for uppipe, i have a stock wrx uppipe on the way that I am going to gut out and swap.  Cost me $40 US on ebay and testing has shown that there is virtually no advantage to getting an aftermarket piece

Red 1990 Miata - squirted n' sparked, gt2554 turbo
Black 1997 Miata - basically stock ... needs a bath

#8 2005-06-01 06:00:33

hiforum
User Number: 64

akaryrye wrote:

WOT = Wide open throttle

As for uppipe, i have a stock wrx uppipe on the way that I am going to gut out and swap.  Cost me $40 US on ebay and testing has shown that there is virtually no advantage to getting an aftermarket piece

Do you have any links to the testing data showing no advantage of an aftermarket up-pipe over a gutted stock pipe?  The mechanic/general manager of a local hi-performance shop said that the problem with gutting a stock pipe is that the gutted section of the pipe that used to house the catalytic converter has a larger cross-sectional area than the rest of the pipe, introducing air turbulence, which, while not totally negating the increased airflow, does not allow for the same amount of air that would pass through a uniform-diameter aftermarket pipe.

I actually would prefer a gutted stock up-pipe b/c it would be invisible to Saab service in the event of a warranty claim.  But, if you run the risk of damaging your turbo from not absolutely 100% removing all traces of destroyed cat, and you don't really get the same improvement as from an aftermarket pipe, I'm thinking I'd probably go aftermarket.  But, if you have literature stating otherwise, please let me know!

Edit:  BTW, why not just gut out your current stock up-pipe?

#9 2005-06-01 13:23:18

M8

hiforum, if you would like a stealthy up-pipe you should consider a stock STI up-pipe. It came catless but looks just like any factory subaru piping (as it should). As for flex vs. non-flex there has been plenty of debate on the various wrx enthusiast sites (www.nasioc.com and www.clubwrx.net etc) with people in both camps claiming one or the other is better. My scoobysport pipe is somewhere in between: Being made of two pieces that slip together mid pipe. The idea being that with heat comes expansion and the sleeve design compensates without the need for a true "flex" section. I have had no issues with leaking. Really, the only thing that you need to watch for is leaking. If you use quality gaskets and have it installed by (yourself or) someone who knows what they are doing, you won't have any trouble.

I chose scoobysport because i have been using their products on turbo'd subarus since the 1990's and have always found them to be functional and reliable.

#10 2005-06-05 19:12:40

igotskraped
v NSFWOS v (for loburon)
User Number: 97

Our up-pipe has a cat in it, correct? A co-worker has a buddy with an STi and he just put a TBE on it. I told him to get me the STi's muffler and up-pipe because I thought I had read previously that the STi's up-pipe would bolt right up but doesn't have a cat so that would help in minor airflow? Obviously nothing significant but if I can get it for hella cheap, it is still better than stock right? Does anybody know the I.D./O.D. of the STi's stock exhaust system including up-pipe and everything?
Dan

#11 2005-06-05 23:12:13

M8

igotskraped wrote:

Our up-pipe has a cat in it, correct? A co-worker has a buddy with an STi and he just put a TBE on it. I told him to get me the STi's muffler and up-pipe because I thought I had read previously that the STi's up-pipe would bolt right up but doesn't have a cat so that would help in minor airflow? Obviously nothing significant but if I can get it for hella cheap, it is still better than stock right? Does anybody know the I.D./O.D. of the STi's stock exhaust system including up-pipe and everything?
Dan

You are correct. Though he may not have removed the UP when he added the TBE. Our up-pipe has quite a restrictive cat in it. The STI's has none. I do not know the part # for their up-pipe though, sorry. You'll be pleasantly suprised by the gains you get from just the UP. It's going to reduce spool up time and smooth out much of the "jumpiness" at low RPM. Add a DP later and you'll be very happy.

#12 2005-06-06 01:55:18

igotskraped
v NSFWOS v (for loburon)
User Number: 97

Yea if I remember correctly he had replaced his up-pipe already. If the STi's don't have a cat in the up-pipe, what is the point for the STi owners to replace the stock up-pipe? Is it just too small or would they typically not replace it? Thanks for your help. By the way, as far as sound I know you said it's quiet until you open 'er up...does that mean there is really NO change in sound while idling/accelerating normally or is it a little deeper a slight bit over stock?
Dan

#13 2005-06-06 07:09:51

M8

It's a bit of a mystery as to why STI owners are replacing up-pipes. Most of the guys that do it seem to do so because they have not done their research. As for the change in sound: You'll have no change in exhaust note. All that you will hear is the turbo spooling up; a whistling sound smile It's a stealthy mod.

#14 2005-06-06 08:27:55

Anand
The Dude Abides
User Number: 113

There's a good FAQ about uppipes and the WRX here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr … did=443943

It has a link to post on clubwrx where someone dynoed his car with an aftermarket uppipe and a gutted stock uppipe and got virtually the same numbers.

2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

#15 2005-06-06 11:01:48

akaryrye
Enthusiast
User Number: 70

awesome ... i was going to look up that thread because I read it before, but I was too lazy to do it.  I am all about the stealthy mods:

Uppipe, downpipe, cobb AP stage 2

thats my goal for the powertrain of the car, smooth it out and a little more power with faster boost

Red 1990 Miata - squirted n' sparked, gt2554 turbo
Black 1997 Miata - basically stock ... needs a bath

#16 2005-06-06 18:51:58

Joe ///M
User Number: 138

If I am careful, will a tech be able to tell I was in there? I plan on using a gutted stock pipe, so it will look identical, but what about marking-up the nuts and bolts, etc.???

///M

#17 2005-06-15 14:43:35

Poppakaylee
User Number: 169

If I were to replace the stock uppipe in my 92x aero with a stock WRX STi uppipe am I to assume that they would look virtually the same (with the subaru brand?) and that the STi stock uppipe has no CAT right?  This sounds like a great way to get aftermarket uppipe results using what I assume the dealers would view as stock parts.  did I get it right?  where can I get a STi uppipe?

9-2x AERO 2005
short throw shifter
AccessPORT Stage1 91oct.

#18 2005-06-15 15:55:07

M8

Poppakaylee wrote:

If I were to replace the stock uppipe in my 92x aero with a stock WRX STi uppipe am I to assume that they would look virtually the same (with the subaru brand?) and that the STi stock uppipe has no CAT right?  This sounds like a great way to get aftermarket uppipe results using what I assume the dealers would view as stock parts.  did I get it right?  where can I get a STi uppipe?

I believe they look very close, if not the same. As is said before, they show up for sale now and then (can't figure out why). But keep an eye on the classified section of www.nasioc.com they are usually cheap! $50 or so...

#19 2005-06-20 17:03:30

Bigfork
Enginerd
User Number: 257

I just had a thought, what about using an STi downpipe as well?  It's got to look very factory, has both cats and can support 300+hp.  The STi guys are replacing them and should be relatively cheap.

Bigfork

Edit: Grammar

Last edited by Bigfork (2005-06-20 17:11:43)

#20 2005-06-21 23:35:40

T-St Saab
User Number: 122

If I remember correctly, the STI downpipe is the same as ours.  The restrictive porstion comes w/ the blank plate "opening" where the downpipe mates to the turbo.  Replacing this with a bell-mouth or divorced waste-gate downpipe increases flow.  This is why Cobb's Accessport stage 2 is accomplished with replacing only the downpipe.

#21 2005-06-24 17:47:00

Bigfork
Enginerd
User Number: 257

I can't see how it can be the same as the one on the 9-2X.  It may not have the bellmouth inlet but it has to flow a lot better than the one on the WRX/9-2X.  When I get back from vacation I'll crack open 'Maximum Boost' an ddo some calcs to firgure out max exhaust flowrates of each car and post back.  I'll also research the WRX/STi downpipes on Nausia and see what I can find out.

Seeya in a week after I'm done sunning myself in Puerto Vallarta, cheers tongue

Bigfork

#22 2005-06-25 01:17:52

Epine
User Number: 74

T-St Saab wrote:

If I remember correctly, the STI downpipe is the same as ours.  The restrictive porstion comes w/ the blank plate "opening" where the downpipe mates to the turbo.  Replacing this with a bell-mouth or divorced waste-gate downpipe increases flow.  This is why Cobb's Accessport stage 2 is accomplished with replacing only the downpipe.

that is correct. STI d/p = WRX d/p = 9-2X d/p

catless 05 saabaru

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.