saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-06-12 22:28:09

grasshopper
User Number: 185

Aero - AC & Recirc On Light Difficult to See

Some might think this is overly picky but I find it really difficult to see the AC and Air Recirc. lights in most day light conditions.

To me it is a bit of a safety issue because I find myself cupping my hand over the light to shade it in the hope of seeing whether it is on.  Or worse, bending down to take a look.

This is the only think about the car that I don't like!

Is anybody else having this problem?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-06-12 22:54:15

mcolterman
9-2X Aero
User Number: 53

Re: Aero - AC & Recirc On Light Difficult to See

Yeah, noticed the first time I tried to use this during the day.  My buddy had to actually cup his hands around it to see if it was on or off.  Coulda been designed a bit better in my opinion.

I've noticed a couple of oddities when it comes to buttons.  One is the AC like you mentioned, the other is the difference between the foglight button and the heated windshield/mirrors button, these 2 buttons are rigth beside each other.  One indicator is orange compared to the other one being green.  One button has 2 physical positions, on (lowered) and off (raised) while the other button just has one position and pressing it toggles the light bar.  Make sense?  smile  That the best I could do at explaining it.  Maybe they make them different so its easier to tell without looking at it which one is which.  Not a big deal, just noticed it.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off track with your thread.  yes the AC light is hard to see in the daylight.  smile

Mike

2005 9-2X Aero - AT - Artic Silver
Sport and Cold Weather Packages

#3 2005-06-12 23:00:30

Anand
The Dude Abides
User Number: 113

I wish the climate control buttons had different lights for on vs. auto for the recirc. and AC buttons.  I didn't even realize there was an auto mode until I read the manual.  For those two buttons, pressing them momentarily goes betwen on and off.  However, pressing it down for a few seconds makes them flash twice and puts them into auto mode where the system decides for itself whether to use the AC or to use fresh vs. recirc. air.  However, after it flashes it looks identical to the on position.

2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

#4 2005-06-13 00:48:16

RuinerXL
Demon of the Fall
User Number: 109

I noticed this problem as well. It's sort of annoying, but I guess if you're trying to figure it out you can just leave it in one position for a moment and wait to see if the temperature changes in the car.

2012 Subaru Impreza WRX - WR Blue Pearl
Torqued Performance Stage II | Cobb DP | STI short throw shifter
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero 5MT - Midnight Black Metallic
phillipj's TD04 | clear coat delete | power steering delete

#5 2005-06-13 06:45:14

purduealum91
User Number: 5

Ya, same here.  They should have done this better.

Red Saab 9-2X Aero 5 speed with cold package, rear cup holder, autodimming mirror with compass and homelink, trunk tray, cargo mat, kartboy short shifter and bushings, Silver Subaru Din Pcket, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 93 Octane v1.3, tinted windows (55% front, limo rear), Pioneer P4700MP head unit with Pioneer iPod adapter, APS uppipe and APS Turbo Back Exhaust w/ hi-flow cat
I drive only 5!

#6 2005-06-13 12:04:50

argylesocks
No.13 Baby
User Number: 182

athakur999 wrote:

I wish the climate control buttons had different lights for on vs. auto for the recirc. and AC buttons.  I didn't even realize there was an auto mode until I read the manual.  For those two buttons, pressing them momentarily goes betwen on and off.  However, pressing it down for a few seconds makes them flash twice and puts them into auto mode where the system decides for itself whether to use the AC or to use fresh vs. recirc. air.  However, after it flashes it looks identical to the on position.

huh..didnt know that either
after you hold it down, how do you know if its on auto or not??  ie, i have no idea if the dealer may have done this, or maybe i did it by accident.

#7 2005-06-13 12:41:57

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
User Number: 1
Website

i wonder if it would be possible to take the knobs off and remove the diffuser so the light is brighter

#8 2005-06-13 13:01:33

Anand
The Dude Abides
User Number: 113

I think pressing the buttons down long enough for them to flash can only put the system into Auto mode (or stay in Auto mode if it was already in Auto), so that should be a sure fire way to ensure they're in auto mode.  Pressing the button momentarily will turn it off and pressing it momentarily again will turn it on.

As for how to tell whether it's On or Auto without actually setting it?  No idea...

Anyway, as for the light I have no problems seeing it as long as the headlights are in the off position.  In the parking light or on positions though, those lights are near impossible to see in daylight.  The radio display is also very difficult to see.

2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

#9 2005-06-13 22:18:07

mogulman
User Number: 44

You can tell if it's in auto mode by changing the temperature.  The AC light will come on or off as you move the temp dial.

Also... I believe the AC and Recirc lights are effected by the headlights.  If you turn off the headlights then they are a little brighter.

#10 2005-06-14 00:37:15

T-St Saab
User Number: 122

i noticed the same thing w/ mine . . . i find that i'm getting used to it . . . probably the easiest solution.

#11 2005-06-14 01:11:22

qcomdrj
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 199

On scoobymods, they talk about removing the panels and taking the covers off of the LEDs to change the color.  I would imagine that if you took the cover of without putting another one on, it would be brighter, but it would be a different color than the rest of the car (unless you removed them all).

#12 2005-06-14 08:26:10

argylesocks
No.13 Baby

mogulman wrote:

You can tell if it's in auto mode by changing the temperature.  The AC light will come on or off as you move the temp dial.

odd, i tried that this morning... put in "auto" mode by pressing for 2 secs...   then turned the temp up to 80.   the AC light stayed on.
it was 73 degrees outside temp.

perhaps the AC shut off (it was blowing hot air), but the light was definately on.

now the recirc. light comes on and off (when in auto), as the temp is changed.

#13 2005-06-14 11:32:27

argylesocks
No.13 Baby

argylesocks wrote:

mogulman wrote:

odd, i tried that this morning... put in "auto" mode by pressing for 2 secs...   then turned the temp up to 80.   the AC light stayed on.
it was 73 degrees outside temp.

perhaps the AC shut off (it was blowing hot air), but the light was definately on.

now the recirc. light comes on and off (when in auto), as the temp is changed.

oops..i turned it up to 85 and the AC went off...then back to 70 and it came back on...   i guess it works as its supposed to smile
my bad.

oh yeah, believe if you shut the car off, then turn back on, it keeps the "auto" settings.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.