saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2018-10-04 16:33:17

kenshapiro2002
Member
Registered: 2018-09-30
User Number: 46175
Posts: 40

Headlight Confusion

Just got an ‘05 Aero yesterday. One headlight is yellow, one bluish in tone. One low beam bulb is bad, so I’m just going to change them all. My dash has the four position switch for raising / lowering the lights. I assume this is mechanical and the bulbs I choose to use is irrelevant? Xenon, Halogen? HID? Somebody in a FB forum said the levelers are HID only. Huh? Help!

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2018-10-04 19:16:32

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
From: South of North Carolina
Registered: 2007-04-06
User Number: 1944
Posts: 8724

Re: Headlight Confusion

Your car was originally equipped with xenon HIDs.

Some shit-for-brains installed a non-HID unit in your car.

Too bad for you.

I bet you have leather interior, too.


2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

Offline

 

#3 2018-10-04 19:34:25

kenshapiro2002
Member
Registered: 2018-09-30
User Number: 46175
Posts: 40

Re: Headlight Confusion

krazykarguy wrote:

Your car was originally equipped with xenon HIDs.

Some shit-for-brains installed a non-HID unit in your car.

Too bad for you.

I bet you have leather interior, too.

I do have leather. And I realized I’ve of my low beams is out. Pretty sure I just need to throw in two low beam HIDs. The original units seem to be both intact. Even have the leveling motors.

Offline

 

#4 2018-10-05 21:25:33

snowphun
Member
From: Central CT
Registered: 2005-11-09
User Number: 890
Posts: 632

Re: Headlight Confusion

The HID and halogen units look identical to me, apart from the HID ballast under the unit. I'd pull them or see if you can confirm the ballast is on both before you go much further, if you really do have one halogen and one HID that may cause some issues.

Offline

 

#5 2018-10-05 22:47:47

kenshapiro2002
Member
Registered: 2018-09-30
User Number: 46175
Posts: 40

Re: Headlight Confusion

I have two stock HID units with ballast , leveling motors... just needed to get educated about them. Only the low beam bulbs are HID and I have one dead bulb. All’ Good now. Thanks for the help.

Offline

 

#6 2020-10-03 23:16:20

TurkeyTender513
Member
Registered: 2020-09-04
User Number: 47011
Posts: 2

Re: Headlight Confusion

krazykarguy wrote:

Your car was originally equipped with xenon HIDs.

Some shit-for-brains installed a non-HID unit in your car.

Too bad for you.

I bet you have leather interior, too.

What's wrong with the leather?

Offline

 

#7 2020-10-06 23:32:55

saabe1
Member
From: Kansas
Registered: 2005-07-06
User Number: 459
Posts: 386
Website

Re: Headlight Confusion

The Leather option was paired with HID headlight.
Like the sunroof was paired with 17" wheels.

He was just making an "educated guess" to confirm factory HID (I think).

Last edited by saabe1 (2021-12-01 21:17:20)


saabe1, 9-2X Aero, Cold Weather, Satin Grey.
Performance: OEM Short Shift
Cosmetic/Functionality: OEM Trunk Tray, FHI - Gauge Pack, Rear Diff Protect, Rear Cup Holder and Cargo Net.

Offline

 

#8 2020-10-07 10:14:33

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
From: South of North Carolina
Registered: 2007-04-06
User Number: 1944
Posts: 8724

Re: Headlight Confusion

Bingo.  up


2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

Offline

 

#9 2021-03-04 14:48:25

rngdoc
Member
Registered: 2019-07-18
User Number: 46517
Posts: 1

Re: Headlight Confusion

To save money I cross referenced the HID igniters and ballast  kit that was used in a shit ton of Nissan cars and trucks ,
Total: $39.20
Order number: 04-06458-00476
Item ID: 353204056665
I was nervous and only bought one and it worked had to use tab on igniter that  was holding protective mesh over wires as bulb ground. Do not forget your old gaskets and recommend dielectric grease as water was a huge issue on theses.
Also the fog lights are the same used in PRIUS's just save mounting bracket.

Offline

 

#10 2021-11-17 09:44:43

Shiloh51933
Member
Registered: 2019-02-23
User Number: 46351
Posts: 61

Re: Headlight Confusion

kenshapiro2002 wrote:

Just got an ‘05 Aero yesterday. One headlight is yellow, one bluish in tone. One low beam bulb is bad, so I’m just going to change them all. My dash has the four position switch for raising / lowering the lights. I assume this is mechanical and the bulbs I choose to use is irrelevant? Xenon, Halogen? HID? Somebody in a FB forum said the levelers are HID only. Huh? Help!

Post up some pics of your new Saab9-2x!!

Offline

 

#11 2021-11-17 10:00:26

kenshapiro2002
Member
Registered: 2018-09-30
User Number: 46175
Posts: 40

Re: Headlight Confusion

Shiloh51933 wrote:

kenshapiro2002 wrote:

Just got an ‘05 Aero yesterday. One headlight is yellow, one bluish in tone. One low beam bulb is bad, so I’m just going to change them all. My dash has the four position switch for raising / lowering the lights. I assume this is mechanical and the bulbs I choose to use is irrelevant? Xenon, Halogen? HID? Somebody in a FB forum said the levelers are HID only. Huh? Help!

Post up some pics of your new Saab9-2x!!

I’ve had it over three years now, lol

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.