saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2021-04-22 16:17:42

Neo1
User Number: 46701

I let my wife drive the car for one day - ONE DAY - and...

My wife wants me to get the oil changed on the family van, so I drive it in to work on Monday and get it done (I know, I should change my own oil, etc., but I work at a high school, so the auto shop at school has three bays and provides free labor).  All goes fine.  On Tuesday morning I go out to drive my Saab to work and...what the %#$& happened to the front bumper under the license plate?  On that horizontal bar under the license, there's a four inch crack and about 3 square inches on both sides of the crack is now a layer of black plastic.  eek I go inside and ask my wife if she drove over something the day before.  She goes, "Oh, I did pull into a driveway and backed out to do a u-turn, and there was a scraping noise."

banghead!!!!!!!!!!!!

She must have caught the front when she pulled out and it cracked it.  It didn't leave a hole, but cracked off a layer of the silver plastic, leaving black plastic underneath - similar to the picture on this site:

https://bumperbuddies.com/are-bumpers-expensive-to-fix/

My wife verified what she thought happened because when I got home from work Tuesday, she showed me the pieces that shattered off  - she had driven to the spot and found them on the ground (little flat pieces of silver plastic).  Again, there's no hole all the way through, but a crack from the lowest edge going up, and (maybe due to age) the bumper seems to have cracked off one outer layer??

Well, we're still married, but I'm still steaming a bit (the car is in excellent condition - or it was).  The damage isn't that ugly to most people, but it jumps out at me.  Since there are no replacement parts, I have to patch it in some way.  Anyone want to chime in, tell me how to approach this?

I'm thinking use plastic glue from the back, fill the "cracked-away" area with some sort of plastic bondo (suggestions of brand would be appreciated), and get some matching spray paint.  The goal would be to make it not noticeable to most people, and strong enough to withstand a carwash/snowstorm/etc.  I'm NOT that handy with things like this (I have never used bondo, but did look at some youtube videos, so that makes me an expert, right...?).  I've also thought of finding a garage that will just do the bondo job for me and I just do a simple spray paint job, but I fear they will charge big bucks for even filling the cracked-away area.  Anyone have some expertise in this?

2̶0̶0̶5̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶A̶e̶r̶o̶,̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶
2005 Silver Aero, 4EAT

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2021-04-22 17:58:23

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

Re: I let my wife drive the car for one day - ONE DAY - and...

I've used epoxy-type plastic repair before;  the kind that comes in the twin-tube syringe.  I think I used Loctite brand.  It smells bad, but did a good job on the motorcycle bodywork I was repairing.  After that, I sanded it down and used body glaze to smooth it out before painting.

Good luck!

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

#3 2021-04-22 18:23:36

Neo1

Something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Pla … /100371824

I can get that easily enough, and it's sandable.  Then I just have to hope that spray paint will stick to it.

Last edited by Neo1 (2021-04-22 18:26:21)

2005 Silver Aero, 4EAT

#4 2021-04-22 19:45:02

Rich-N-AZ
User Number: 11897

You can get the Subaru matching paint in rattle cans, but you may want to go to a specialty paint store and have them color-match it to your car, because it may have faded over the years and no longer matches the OEM color.  If it not in a highly-noticeable or your car may not have faded that much so it may not matter and the OEM will be fine.

Good luck on the repairs.

05 Aero | Black | 4EAT: Level 10 Bulletproof Torque Converter & Valvebody | Pro tuned Stage II | Invidia Q300
05 Aero | ~Satin Gray Metallic Matte Blue Metallic | 5MT | 2.5 hybrid | Delicious FlexFuel | Pro tuned Stage III  | Invidia Q300
19 Outback Touring 3.6R  | White  | Stock (so far)

#5 2021-04-22 20:22:27

drewsro
Master
User Number: 13600

It almost sounds like the bumper has been painted before if it cracked off like that. It's pretty common to see that happen easily with repainted bumpers.

Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

#6 2021-04-23 01:08:32

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

Neo1 wrote:

Something like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Pla … /100371824

I can get that easily enough, and it's sandable.  Then I just have to hope that spray paint will stick to it.

Yeah, something like that.  I can check my "race box" in the next couple of days, but that's what I recall.  I had no problems with paint adhesion.

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

#7 2021-04-23 05:25:53

Neo1

Thanks!

2005 Silver Aero, 4EAT

#8 2021-04-23 19:42:58

Neo1

drewsro wrote:

It almost sounds like the bumper has been painted before if it cracked off like that. It's pretty common to see that happen easily with repainted bumpers.

Good call - I stopped at a local body shop to ask some questions, and they said it had been damaged right there before and previously repaired.

2005 Silver Aero, 4EAT

#9 2021-04-23 23:18:26

Rich-N-AZ
User Number: 11897

Neo1 wrote:

drewsro wrote:

Good call - I stopped at a local body shop to ask some questions, and they said it had been damaged right there before and previously repaired.

Hopefully relieves some stress and guilty feelings at home between you and your wife and you can make the repairs easily enough.

05 Aero | Black | 4EAT: Level 10 Bulletproof Torque Converter & Valvebody | Pro tuned Stage II | Invidia Q300
05 Aero | ~Satin Gray Metallic Matte Blue Metallic | 5MT | 2.5 hybrid | Delicious FlexFuel | Pro tuned Stage III  | Invidia Q300
19 Outback Touring 3.6R  | White  | Stock (so far)

#10 2021-04-26 13:20:40

drewsro
Master
User Number: 13600

Neo1 wrote:

drewsro wrote:

Repaints never seem to hold up as well as OEM paint, especially on plastic that can flex.

Just in case anyone in the Chicago area needs a front bumper, this one looks to be in decent shape (some imperfections it looks like though)
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/ … 36684.html

Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.