saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2020-11-18 11:56:30

maljason
User Number: 46837

Power Steering Belt Repeatedly Loose

Hey all. Love the forum, read it often, don't post much. I have an '05 9-2x 2.5i with 106k miles. I recently replaced my belts (other than timing, already done) and since then have been having trouble with the power steering belt repeatedly coming loose. I'll go in and tighten it and it'll be good for a couple of days, and then it will start to squeak again. I do live in a pretty cold climate (North Dakota) and I don't know if that factors into it. I read some other posts on the forum that talked about the adjusting screw assembly, but I'm not sure what this is/where to find that part to replace (not a huge car guy, but trying to learn).

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks!

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2020-11-18 12:28:03

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Re: Power Steering Belt Repeatedly Loose

Is the belt loosening or does it just keep squeaking no matter how tight you get?  Measure your amount of deflection in the belt and see if it's increasing or not.  The power steering pump will squeal in colder weather due to a leak.  It's a known issue that requires changing out some o rings if you care to fix it.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

#3 2020-11-19 08:53:26

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

Re: Power Steering Belt Repeatedly Loose

Does the belt get floppy?

The pump squeal and loose belt can get diagnosed separately.

When you adjust the tightness of the belt, what procedure do you use - how do you make it tighter?

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.