saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2020-10-28 12:47:18

Liam_clone
User Number: 47057

Axle Seal Issues

Hello all, I recently took my car to my mechanic because it had leaky front axle seals (I have the 5mt). He went to replace them and discovered the size seems to be different than he thought. After that, he looked for the correct size and couldn't figure it out so he ended up replacing the entire seal housing with ones that he could find the seals for. He did this replacement, I picked up the vehicle and they started leaking really bad after a day of driving. Turns out, these seals popped out and weren't the correct size either. We are both currently trying to figure out what is going on here. Anyone else have experience doing axle seals on a 9-2x aero? What is my mechanic missing? Are the seals different? Please let me know if you know anything.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2020-10-28 13:54:40

snowphun
User Number: 890

Re: Axle Seal Issues

There are a few variations that complicate things as Subaru used male and female axles (and stubs) in this timeframe. Some need the sundials removed but Aero and Linear should be the easiest replacement, sundials do not need to be disturbed. I replaced them on my 06 Linear recently, 806735290 and 806735300. Keep in mind there are handed for specific sides of the trans, though I doubt that would cause a big leak like you're seeing.

#3 2020-10-30 15:09:34

elislider
accept no substitutes
User Number: 25881

Re: Axle Seal Issues

as stated there could be some variation depending on what specific transmission you have.
generally speaking the same year and model of Impreza will have the same parts, you can use parts.subaru.com to look up the part numbers
i can confirm as I just recently did this to a few different cars, that some transmissions you have to remove the seal housing ("sundial") to put the seal in from the back, and some you can just do it from the outside.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.