saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2020-04-23 19:50:21

jweston4
User Number: 46801

2005 Saab 9_2x Intermittent Overheating

Bought my 9-2x around roughly 190k miles a year and a half ago. Within the last few months I’ve had intermittent overheating issues. I could go for an hour ride and nothing happens but the next day i could drive 20 minutes and as soon as I sit at idle the temp would rise. It immediately went back down when i started driving again due to air blowing through the radio when driving. I replaced the thermostat in February as well as a coolant flush and that seemed to fix the issue but it started happening again last week (mid April). Head gasket was done around 160k as well as a new radiator in the same time frame. Fans seem to be working fine as well. Not exactly sure where to go next and how to diagnose the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also thinking of replacing the coolant temp sensor and radiator cap but not sure if that will help at all. 2.5i non turbo version with the 5 speed manual. Not sure if/when the timing belt and water pump were done by the previous owner. Current mileages is 197k ish

Last edited by jweston4 (2020-04-23 19:59:55)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2020-04-23 22:23:46

tinman
SNAABY
Supporter
User Number: 4902

Re: 2005 Saab 9_2x Intermittent Overheating

Sounds like head gasket. If there was some warping from the previous head gasket failure, and the parts were never machined true again, the seal could be compromised and lead to another failure. It sounds like a tell-tale HG issue. Unfortunately, you can pass pressure testing and still have a failing HG.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.