saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-12-21 17:24:25

bdawg
User Number: 4113

Engine sounds like a diesel truck

Hi all. Haven't posted anything significant in a while, but I had an incident a few days ago with the Saabaru. I pulled up to a traffic signal after driving about 15 miles in the rain, the light turns green and on hitting the accelerator all of a sudden the car sounds lie a diesel truck. A really loud diesel truck. I look around and think is that the car next to me? ...and then I'm like oh no... Car still seems to accelerate and there are no CELs, so I pull over into a parking lot and check the engine, but it's pretty dark and hard to see. Nothing seems too amiss and the sound doesn't sound so out of whack as to be rod knock. I limp home about a mile and park it.

I'm depressed the next day so I don't look at it, aside from staring at the engine bay for obvious loose hoses or gaskets. The following day I put it in the garage and jack it up. Lo and behold immediately I notice that the front O2 sensor is just sitting there dangling off the wire. What?!? Pretty strange that it could get completely unscrewed. The exhaust was venting out right before the turbo. I open up the wheel well, and the bung seems okay, so I rummage through my tools for my seldom used (but extremely handy) oxygen sensor wrench and put the sensor back where it belongs. Voila, my car sounds normal again. I guess that's what it sounds when you inadvertently add a cutout to your exhaust system. yikes While it's up, I also decided to change the oil, manual tranny fluid, and diff fluid.  driving Anyone ever have this happen to their car?

2005 Brilliant Red Aero 5MT (Sport) | STG2

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2019-12-21 17:37:57

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Re: Engine sounds like a diesel truck

Not exactly, but when I originally installed the STI uppipe to get rid of my catted 05 uppipe we forgot to plug one of the holes and the car was very, very loud smile
You should maybe use some thread locker on the part if you feel like messing with it again.  I'd also be suspect of the threads overall.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

#3 2019-12-21 21:43:23

Rodman
User Number: 1046

Happy ending story, I was expecting all sorts of tragedy and tears. Not sure I’d suggest locktite but anti seize for sure.

2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold. 06 wrx, adios!
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm STi ver 7 drivetrain.
2005 desert silver aero, work horse JDM EJ205 AVCS
2002 bugeye, sedan :-( new project

#4 2019-12-22 17:18:24

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Only suggested it because it came out once...

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

#5 2019-12-23 13:09:41

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

More torques with anti-seize.

Your sensor needs that pre-load on the gasket to keep it from walking out.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.