saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-11-07 10:34:36

0xdeadbeef
User Number: 46025

Is my Aero worth Saving?

Hi all, I acquired a 2006 Aero MT about a year and a half ago. It came from North Carolina, but I learned after owning it for a few weeks that it was originally a Michigan car..  facepalm Naturally it's plagued with rust belt issues - but I've persevered.
At this point I've done a decent amount of work to the car:
- Full COBB TBE w/ AccessPort
- Timing Belt & Radiator Change
- New Front Shocks and front steering bushings
- PCV hose swap
- Full Brake Job (4x Caliper, Rotor, Pad)
- Karboy Short Shifter

The underside of my car looks like something out of a sci-fi horror movie, my driveshaft is pockmarked with rust, as is my rear diff cover and rear CV axles.  My rear eccentric bolts are seized in place, locking my rear alignment.
At the moment I badly need my headgasket replaced, I'm burning through coolant and my car vapes constantly.  eek
Additionally, my (original) clutch needs to be replaced very soon, I can slip it in almost any gear by going WOT. It has 130K miles on it.
This is the most fun car I have ever owned so I'm naturally irrationally attached to it.
I would love to repair my 92x, but I'm afraid it would be a wasted investment if something else major were to happen.
I've lurked here for a while so I'm aware I likely need to perform the following before I proceed:
- Inspection of Rear strut towers
- Perform compression test

Can anyone offer advice, or warnings on how I should handle this situation?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2019-11-07 12:39:54

thejameshimself
User Number: 13280

Re: Is my Aero worth Saving?

So you have issues with the motor, drive train, suspension, and chassis... logically it is time to let it go or use it as a parts car for a similar Aero/WRX in better condition.

That being said, I am also irrationally attached to my car and have kept it going through a multitude of issues - inching my way toward 300k miles and the car is all but worthless in terms of bluebook value.

US Production # 1936

#3 2019-11-07 13:17:37

snowphun
User Number: 890

0xdeadbeef wrote:

- Inspection of Rear strut towers

Everything else is largely meaningless without this, take an afternoon and tear it apart. Rusty towers can be fixed for less than $1k, question is how far gone are they. The rest of the stuff, clutch, engine service, is worth doing if you can save the chassis.

#4 2019-11-07 15:50:13

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Don't be horrified by the condition of the front sub frame.  It's that big U shape metal part that rusts like a mofo.  It can easily be replaced or hell, even just removed (not recommended for safety).

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone
1972 Mach 1 Mustang

#5 2019-11-07 15:52:04

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

If you're reasonably proficient, the rear towers can be exposed from the inside in about 45 minutes of disassembly.

Do not proceed with anything else until you have confirmed their condition.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

#6 2019-11-07 16:27:35

jixaw
User Number: 35856

krazykarguy wrote:

If you're reasonably proficient, the rear towers can be exposed from the inside in about 45 minutes of disassembly.

Do not proceed with anything else until you have confirmed their condition.

^^^ this

let us know if you need advice for taking out the interior...tip: krazykarguy did a short writeup on how to get to the towers from the interior if you do a quick search

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear (**sold**) - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#7 2019-12-07 15:32:39

Shiloh51933
User Number: 46351

It amazes me how Subaru is really popular but they refuse to address there consistent issue with corrosion.   It's not an accident or coincidence that almost all of there vehicles rott out.  There using a cheap materials,  cheap paint jobs, poor welding, poor under coating and many original owners not doing preventive maintenance to body/chassis.

#8 2019-12-07 15:48:39

Shiloh51933
User Number: 46351

Besides the corrosion issues that Subaru has I must admit that Saab must if made some improvements because these 9-2x versions dont seem nearly as bad as the equivalent Impreza/WRX version.  I'd ride it until you can't or repair the rott then prime and paint.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.