saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-11-04 13:40:02

tinman
SNAABY
Supporter
From: Easton, PA
Registered: 2010-10-11
User Number: 4902
Posts: 319

Driveshaft replacement options

I had transmission work done, and when they removed the trans, they broke a bolt off of the driveshaft. Since I have to replace it, is there an option other than stock that I should consider? I saw that there are CF options, but they're $1k or so, and I don't feel overly compelled to spend more than twice the amount for a daily. Anyone have any experience with suitable options?

L8

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2019-11-04 14:01:03

snowphun
Member
From: Central CT
Registered: 2005-11-09
User Number: 890
Posts: 610

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

For a daily driver? No, get a used stock ds for $80 and be done with it. DSS sells an aluminum shaft for half the price of the cf one, it's larger so install usually involves massaging the tunnel with a hammer to get it to fit. Yeah, that sounds like a good time. I have their cf ds and like it but got a solid deal on it and wouldn't say it is worth it.

Offline

 

#3 2019-11-04 16:47:52

tinman
SNAABY
Supporter
From: Easton, PA
Registered: 2010-10-11
User Number: 4902
Posts: 319

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

snowphun wrote:

For a daily driver? No, get a used stock ds for $80 and be done with it. DSS sells an aluminum shaft for half the price of the cf one, it's larger so install usually involves massaging the tunnel with a hammer to get it to fit. Yeah, that sounds like a good time. I have their cf ds and like it but got a solid deal on it and wouldn't say it is worth it.

Yeah, it's a daily. Are used driveshafts a commonly accessible thing? I'm assuming that you mean by going to a pick-and-pull or something similar, right?

Anyone have a lead on an unneeded driveshaft?


L8

Offline

 

#4 2019-11-04 20:52:57

slowautoxr
Member
From: Decatur, AL
Registered: 2019-07-26
User Number: 46537
Posts: 26
Website

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

https://www.facebook.com/Persad-Parts-186498642235342/ He's only on FB.  He's local to me here in north Alabama.  He specializes in Subarus.


Charles
2005 Aero

Offline

 

#5 2019-11-05 08:02:20

snowphun
Member
From: Central CT
Registered: 2005-11-09
User Number: 890
Posts: 610

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

tinman wrote:

snowphun wrote:

For a daily driver? No, get a used stock ds for $80 and be done with it. DSS sells an aluminum shaft for half the price of the cf one, it's larger so install usually involves massaging the tunnel with a hammer to get it to fit. Yeah, that sounds like a good time. I have their cf ds and like it but got a solid deal on it and wouldn't say it is worth it.

Yeah, it's a daily. Are used driveshafts a commonly accessible thing? I'm assuming that you mean by going to a pick-and-pull or something similar, right?

They are common and cheap from guys parting cars, I just got rid of my last one and had it for years. Assuming you have an Aero manual, any 5 speed WRX ds will work, just check the u joints for excessive play. Apparently the center bearings can go too but I've never had one with any issues.

Offline

 

#6 2019-11-06 01:08:10

TrailerParkNinja
Member
Registered: 2015-07-26
User Number: 32504
Posts: 68

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

I have one for sale...
https://reno.craigslist.org/pts/d/reno- … 66621.html

Not sure about shipping.

Offline

 

#7 2019-11-06 09:52:16

tinman
SNAABY
Supporter
From: Easton, PA
Registered: 2010-10-11
User Number: 4902
Posts: 319

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

Just called a SaabExpress to check part numbers and compatibility. Apparently the part numbers for the 05's and 06's are different. So 01-05 is one part number, 06-07 is another. Both on the Saab and Subaru side. Awesome, I love complications!

L8

Offline

 

#8 2019-11-06 11:21:47

snowphun
Member
From: Central CT
Registered: 2005-11-09
User Number: 890
Posts: 610

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

This is for the Aero in your sig? There may be a different part number but 02-07 ds will fit all 5 speeds. Check NASIOC for confirmation, it's an easy part to source.

Offline

 

#9 2020-01-11 21:44:38

elislider
accept no substitutes
Registered: 2014-11-30
User Number: 25881
Posts: 507

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

"broke a bolt off of the driveshaft"
I'm not sure what that means, there are no bolts on the driveshaft, at least not ones that aren't separate parts that can be replaced.

Offline

 

#10 2020-01-13 00:49:10

tinman
SNAABY
Supporter
From: Easton, PA
Registered: 2010-10-11
User Number: 4902
Posts: 319

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

elislider wrote:

"broke a bolt off of the driveshaft"
I'm not sure what that means, there are no bolts on the driveshaft, at least not ones that aren't separate parts that can be replaced.

Yep, it didn't make sense to me either. I had it put in the air at another shop, and had a look for myself. One of the screw-points for the brace the covers the driveshaft was pulled out of the floorboard. He welded it back in place. Not an issue, and not a cause for a driveshaft replacement.

L8

Offline

 

#11 2020-01-13 01:21:54

Rodman
Member
From: Long Island
Registered: 2006-03-01
User Number: 1046
Posts: 2537

Re: Driveshaft replacement options

Now you know where not to take your car again.


2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold. 06 wrx, adios!
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm STi ver 7 drivetrain.
2005 desert silver aero, work horse JDM EJ205 AVCS
2002 bugeye, sedan :-( new project

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.