saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Off Topic
  •  » Superautomatic ... espresso machine ... not gun

#1 2011-02-02 22:05:06

macberry
My other car has two wheels
Supporter
User Number: 410

Superautomatic ... espresso machine ... not gun

lol

I know superautomatic espresso machines are considered blasphemous by the cognoscenti, but I don't have time to play barsita in the morning getting ready for work and getting my daughter to school.  I seriously considered getting something like a Rancilio Silvia (considered by its cult following to be the best home semi-automatic espresso machine) but convenience won out over being able to pull a perfect shot.  Instead, just ordered a refurb'ed Saeco Incanto Deluxe superautomatic.  When they were new sold for ~$1500 (and I know at one point Costco discounted them for ~$750).  Picked it up from Seattle Coffee Gear for $569 shipped.  One nice thing about their refurb is that they replace the plastic steam valve (why Saeco used plastic, I don't know) with a metal one.  And it comes with a 1-year parts and labor warranty.  Enough programmability (and the digital disply makes it easier) for my purposes (although the one feature I wish it had was to be able to set it to turn itself on in the morning).  Grind can be adjusted, as well as coffee dosage and brew temp.  I know it won't pull the perfect shot (something I chased forever with my old Gaggia Classic), but I can live with that.  I also don't have to deal with the hassle of grinding beans (and the expense of buying an expensive grinder).  Just push a button and ... espresso!  No getting around the time to steam/froth milk, but that's not a huge deal.  I wanted something to be able to make a couple of lattes in the morning for me and my wife before heading off to work and this will do the trick.  And if we have friends over for dinner who want an espresso, latte, or cappuccino, this makes it easier to serve something up without a lot of fuss and muss.

http://brandcoffeemachines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Incanto+Deluxe+Automatic+Espresso+Machine.jpg

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2011-02-02 22:09:33

john_matrix
Administrator
SupporterModerator
User Number: 168

Re: Superautomatic ... espresso machine ... not gun

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life. It has saved me countless amounts of time, money, and headaches!  banana

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-h … ption.html

#3 2011-02-02 23:33:47

mkaz
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 3501

Interesting.  My office recently got a Silvia that I've been working on my technique with. 

I will say that I look down my nose at the auto machines at Starbucks but this seems to be a well thought out purchase that brings you what you want.  Congratulations on it!

I had never thought to look for a refurb machine.  Does the Silvia ever come up at a "lower" price?  I'm happy with the one at the office, I just have to worry about the idiots that leave it on all night... the boiler isn't going to take many more 3 day weekend boil me dry episodes.

Congratulations again on the purchase.  You'll have it paid for in no time with 2 drinks a day.

Current: 2005 Linear, MT, Cold weather, sunroof, premium, 20mm FHS RSB, Subie side rails / Yakima racks
Gone: 04 BMW 330i ZHP, '06 Civic Si coupe, '97 Miata, '96 Civic, '93 Sentra SE

#4 2011-02-03 00:34:35

Avmaviator
Flying frog
Supporter
User Number: 2471

Looks like a nice machine. How many espressos will one "top off beans" will do?

I only drink espresso (the only coffee I drink I should have said) and we use the Nespresso systems. Totally love it. Real nice quality coffee (don't know it compares to a $1500 machine).  Their capsule service is super quick too (delivery), and a super easy to make, takes me literally 3 secs.

2005 Aero, manual SOLD
2015 Chevrolet SS/Holden Commodore conversion

#5 2011-02-03 04:30:40

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter
User Number: 19

It seems to have quite a few buttons and an LCD screen. This is good.
It could definitely benefit from some switches. Have you considered one that has more switches?

OK hot gigglfarting a donut!

#6 2011-02-03 08:33:50

LordZed
ImaChris
Supporter
User Number: 5169

arrow-up Yes I agree, it looks complex, but it COULD be more confusing to ward off lesser employee's. You considering a Cobb stage 2 foamer?

On a serious note, I love espresso. My old office had a machine and Id have one every morning. All the coffee buzz without having to piss as much in the am  up

#7 2011-02-03 08:53:29

Silently
Tall One
Supporter
User Number: 3831

Now you have me wondering what a superautomatic gun would be like...

1989 BMW 325i

#8 2011-02-03 08:59:05

Joyride
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2663

Congrats with the machine, macberry.  big_smile Seems like a good deal.

mkaz wrote:

Interesting.  My office recently got a Silvia that I've been working on my technique with. 

I had never thought to look for a refurb machine.  Does the Silvia ever come up at a "lower" price?  I'm happy with the one at the office, I just have to worry about the idiots that leave it on all night... the boiler isn't going to take many more 3 day weekend boil me dry episodes.

You could see if someone has them used here: http://www.home-barista.com/marketplace/ or here: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell

The last generation Silvia has a more sturdy steam wand and some other improvements if you'll be looking for used ones. Parts are fairly easy to come by too. up

A coffee friend who sells Rancilio over here, (temperato.no) wrote this for coffeegeek.com:

* Cold pitcher (from the fridge) and cold milk (3,9% fat in my case, but 1.5 % or 2% is fine too)
    * Fill pitcher about 40% full
    * Open steam valve and give a quick burst to get out any water in the wand.
    * Close valve
    * Submerge wand deep in the pitcher
    * Open valve fully
    * Quickly move to the surface and to one of the sides. Moving to one of the sides enhances the whirlwind motion/circulation of the milk. Be very careful to place tip so it barely breaks the surface. You'll hear a slurping sound or tssst tsst. Keep this placement and sound while the milk expands in volume. This means you'll have to lower the pitcher slowly, but you'll do that automatically to keep the placement. If you place the tip too high you'll get soap bubbles, too low and the milk will only heat and not expand. Keep one hand on the pitcher all the time to feel the temperature. When you feel it is about body temp, move the tip deeper so the milk only circulates. Close the valve when you can no longer touch the pitcher because it is too warm, or maybe do some extra seconds without touching it if you like your milk warmer. Wipe the wand let out a short burst to get milk out of the wand
    * Bang the pitcher on the counter and swirl the milk a bit.

That is about it.

You can find tons of more on extracting, if that's what you're working on at the office.  smile

kap_x wrote:

It could definitely benefit from some switches. Have you considered one that has more switches?

lol kap_x find the lack of weapons here disappointing.

http://www.gizmodiva.com/entry_images/0510/21/Gun-Handle-Mug.jpg

Last edited by Joyride (2011-02-03 09:07:30)

#9 2011-02-03 11:15:36

macberry
Supporter

mkaz wrote:

I will say that I look down my nose at the auto machines at Starbucks but this seems to be a well thought out purchase that brings you what you want.  Congratulations on it!

Congratulations again on the purchase.  You'll have it paid for in no time with 2 drinks a day.

Thanx!

One nice feature on the Saeca Incanto Deluxe is that it has two stainless steel thermoblock "boilers."  You can't simultaneously brew and steam, but you can steam almost immediately after brewing (or vice-versa) because there's no wait time for the boiler to come back up to temp.

A Rancilio Silvia was my first choice if I was going to get a semi-automatic machine.  In the end, I decided in favor of convenience over trying to get the highest quality espresso shot.  If I was just using the machine on weekends, I'd have gone semi-auto.  But for brewing up a couple of lattes in the morning before work, I just don't have the time to play barista.  Semi-automatics definitely make better espresso, but require more work.  The Silvia, in particular, is notoriously finnicky about coffee grind (which means spending more $$$ on a quality grinder).  And then there's the whole temperature surfing thing.  The temp control in the Silvia (and other machines) isn't exactly precise.  If I was going to get a Silvia, I'd have to shell out the extra $$$ for a PID -- a fancy, dancy electronic device that controls brew and steam temps to +/- 1 degree.  A bare bones Silvia is ~$650.  A PID'ed Silvia is ~$850-$900.  A high quality burr grinder is $300+.  So if you're "serious" about wanting to be a home barista to get that absolutely perfect shot, you're looking at ~$1200 investment ... minimum.  Still a "bargain" when you amortize that cost over the life of the machine and how much you would've spent buying espresso, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. at your local coffeehouse.

Refurb'ed Silvia from WholeLatteLove.com for $550.
http://www.wholelattelove.com/ItemImages/1765/3400XLarge.gif

Last edited by macberry (2011-02-03 11:41:11)

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

#10 2011-02-03 11:33:18

macberry
Supporter

Avmaviator wrote:

Looks like a nice machine. How many espressos will one "top off beans" will do?

According to the manual, coffee bean dispenser holds 300 grams of beans.  Dosage is 6-10 grams depending on whether you want your coffee weak, normal, or strong.  I don't know if grams of whole beans translates directly to grams of ground beans, but maybe 30 shots?

#11 2011-02-03 11:39:05

macberry
Supporter

kap_x wrote:

Like these???  lol

http://www.wholelattelove.com/ItemImages/1913/3603XLarge.gif

http://www.wholelattelove.com/ItemImages/9185/11038XLarge.gif

http://www.wholelattelove.com/ItemImages/701/1429XLarge.gif

#12 2011-02-03 14:59:56

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter
User Number: 19

It looks like you have a choice between one with a lot of buttons, or one with some switches.
I don't drink coffee, but I will look around and see if I can find a model incorporating both buttons and switches, as well as an LCD screen and hopefully some red lights.
I imagine with all of those doodads, it should make a good cup of espresso or at least go HAL9000 on your other kitchen appliances.

I'm sorry; I can't do that, can-opener.
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/eder/hal9000.jpg

OK hot gigglfarting a donut!

#13 2011-02-03 16:42:54

tlow98
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 4765

NICE F'ing machine.  i can only dream.  I bought my first Breville last month...aka...the 150 dollar variety, bc I didn't want to suck at it and spend a whole lot.  I love espresso and think i'm finally getting the hang of what I like and what I can produce on command. 

I'll say making hot Chai tea for the girl is like  diamond's every night.....give it a shot.

05 MT, cold, sport...black

#14 2011-02-03 18:37:23

macberry
Supporter

tlow98 wrote:

NICE F'ing machine.  i can only dream.  I bought my first Breville last month...aka...the 150 dollar variety, bc I didn't want to suck at it and spend a whole lot.  I love espresso and think i'm finally getting the hang of what I like and what I can produce on command. 

I'll say making hot Chai tea for the girl is like  diamond's every night.....give it a shot.

The little Breville Cafe Modena (that I'm selling for $50!  eek) is a great starter espresso machine to cut your teeth on.  You'll learn the basics without having to spend beaucoup bucks.  Your next decision will be which step up to take.  The next level of machine is something like a Gaggia Classic which can be had for less than $500 if you shop around.  Or you can go ahead and move up to something like a Rancilio Silvia to learn the art of temperature surfing and become a true barista artiste.  But a Silvia plus a high quality grinder will set you back at least $1,000 ($1,200 if you PID the Silvia).  Or better yet, you could go the full monty to a prosumer like one of the Rocket Espresso machines (we're talking ~$2K) with a professional E-61 brew group, heat exchanger boiler, rotary pump, and you can connect directly to a water line.  Definitely the bling if you can afford and have room for one in your kitchen.

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SCG10286-0111-EVO-2.jpg

The only reason to go superautomatic like I did is convenience.  The tradeoff is that you'll never get that ever elusive perfect shot out of a superautomatic.  What you get instead is consistently good to very good shots with a whole lot less hassle.

Last edited by macberry (2011-02-03 18:39:21)

#15 2011-02-03 22:20:44

macberry
Supporter

Here's a vid Seattle Coffee Gear just posted today about their refurb'ed Saeco Incanto Deluxe that I just ordered.  Gives you a pretty good idea of the features of this machine and how a superautomatic espresso machine works.  Love the "double tap" feature where it grinds and brews twice for a double shot.  Am now anxious to get mine, dial it in, and put it into service.

Last edited by macberry (2011-02-03 22:34:15)

#16 2011-02-04 09:56:07

Superchunk
User Number: 3866

We finally bought an espresso machine - krupp or kolieg or one of those for $150.  Only make espresso with it so far, maybe 1 capiccino.  I love it.  Still drink coffee in the morning but absolutely love a cup of espresso the rest of the time.  I'm pretty impressed by those $1000+ machines....is the straight cup of espresso that much better?  What kind of coffee do you use - do you buy it online or ??

#17 2011-02-04 10:51:15

bump909
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 1772

john_matrix wrote:

I've never had a cup of coffee in my life. It has saved me countless amounts of time, money, and headaches!  banana

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-h … ption.html

The bad points are hardly worth worrying about unless you are a heavy coffee drinker.  I started drinking coffee only 3 years ago and fucking love it.  I usually only have about one or two a day and take it black.  Nothing better than a cup in the morning to start my day.  That and a wank.

#18 2011-02-04 16:14:00

scot_douglas
Dr. Fabreezy313
Supporter
User Number: 1522

IMHO, "Playing Barista " is part of the fun of owning a good machine, however, I can appreciate your reasons for an auto.  up

I picked up an Ascaso Dream and a decent burr grinder two years ago and love making every cup.  I usually have a double ristretto before I leave the house in the morning - so it is a bit faster than making a cap / latte.

Besides a good grinder (which you mention above), get the *freshest* beans you can find.  This means avoiding anything in the store - even the commercial coffeehouses.  I get my beans from a local place that usually has beans that have been roasted one or two days prior.  Also, to those interested in a good, affordable burr grinder, I recommend the Capresso Infinity.  heart

2013 Sonic
floormat's, tornado, and other horsepower enhancement's.
Howell, Michigan; Not just for racist's anymore.

#19 2011-02-04 16:28:31

macberry
Supporter

scot_douglas wrote:

IMHO, "Playing Barista " is part of the fun of owning a good machine, however, I can appreciate your reasons for an auto.  up

I actually like playing barista.  But just don't have the time in the morning before work.  In a perfect world, I'd have a superautomatic for daily use and a high-end consumer machine for when I want a "real" espresso.  Unfortunately, I don't have enough $$$ or kitchen counter space for both.  It really sucks not to be stinking rich!  lol

#20 2011-03-01 18:13:21

macberry
Supporter

It took Seattle Coffee Gear two tries (the door to the brew unit on the first machine they sent me wouldn't latch shut), but I'm now in possession of my Saeco Incanto Deluxe superautomatic espresso machine.  One word ... wow!  This thing rocks.  banana  Super easy/fast to use and makes good shots with nice crema.  And the steam wand froths milk up to 140 degrees in a jiffy.  This is exactly the kind of machine I needed/wanted for an everyday-make-a-couple-of-lattes-before-work espresso machine.

#21 2019-08-24 06:33:54

Abie 2
User Number: 46587

macberry wrote:

lol

I know superautomatic espresso machines are considered blasphemous by the cognoscenti, but I don't have time to play barsita in the morning getting ready for work and getting my daughter to school.  I seriously considered getting something like a Rancilio Silvia (considered by its cult following to be the best home semi-automatic espresso machine) but convenience won out over being able to pull a perfect shot.  Instead, just ordered a refurb'ed Saeco Incanto Deluxe superautomatic.  When they were new sold for ~$1500 (and I know at one point Costco discounted them for ~$750).  Picked it up from Seattle Coffee Gear for $569 shipped.  One nice thing about their refurb is that they replace the plastic steam valve (why Saeco used plastic, I don't know) with a metal one.  And it comes with a 1-year parts and labor warranty.  Enough programmability (and the digital disply makes it easier) for my purposes (although the one feature I wish it had was to be able to set it to turn itself on in the morning).  Grind can be adjusted, as well as coffee dosage and brew temp.  I know it won't pull the perfect shot (something I chased forever with my old Gaggia Classic), but I can live with that.  I also don't have to deal with the hassle of grinding beans (and the expense of buying an expensive grinder).  Just push a button and ... espresso!  No getting around the time to steam/froth milk, but that's not a huge deal.  I wanted something to be able to make a couple of lattes in the morning for me and my wife before heading off to work and this will do the trick.  And if we have friends over for dinner who want an espresso, latte, or cappuccino, this makes it easier to serve something up without a lot of fuss and muss.

http://brandcoffeemachines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Incanto+Deluxe+Automatic+Espresso+Machine.jpg

Hi there!

I saw that you owned a Gaggia, I am planning to buy a coffee machine but I can't decide between the Gaggia and the Rancilio. I googled to see comparisons, I only found a website which shows the pros and cons of both. Which one would you advise me to buy? Thank you

#22 2019-08-24 14:38:51

WDEagle
Unrepentantly Ideological
Supporter
User Number: 7

Abie 2 wrote:

Hi there!

I saw that you owned a Gaggia, I am planning to buy a coffee machine but I can't decide between the Gaggia and the Rancilio. I googled to see comparisons, I only found a website which shows the pros and cons of both. Which one would you advise me to buy? Thank you

Holy Mother of bumping an old thread! 

This thread is so old many of the original posters probably don't even frequent the site anymore.

That being said, I currently use a Gaggia Baby Gaggia.  I've had it for ~ 10 years.  It has performed well making 1 -2 double espressos/day.  Prior to this one, I had an automatic espresso maker (can't remember the brand).  It was a pain in the ass to keep clean.  It finally quit working and I returned it to Costco and bought the Gaggia from them.

Either of the machines that you linked would be fine.  Just make certain to get a good (burr) grinder.

Hers --------> 2005 Midnight Black Flat Black Pearl White Saab 92x Aero w/sport & 2016 Ultra White Lexus NX200t F Sport
Mine --------> 2004 Black Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 2016 Lazer Blue Chevy Colorado Crew Cab
Ours --------> 2004 Millennium Yellow Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
Ours 2 ------> 1966 Arcadian Blue Ford Mustang Coupe

#23 2019-08-28 10:15:32

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

I guess this place continues to be a source of timeless information...  big_smile

My Car: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 4-Matic S-Model
SOLD April 2024: 2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car: 2024 Mercedes Benz GLC300 4Matic

#24 2019-08-28 14:54:16

saabroo
Not Moderater
User Number: 31977

So some newb to a car fan site, with zero posts before this, uses his maiden post to ask about a coffee machine?   lol

2019 Audi A4 Quattro
2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant SOLD
2005 Saab 9-2x 4EAT. SOLD
2010 Camaro V8 2SS/RS 6MT with Maggie. 513whp, 480tq. SOLD

#25 2019-08-28 17:43:24

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

AND GETS A THOUGHTFUL RESPONSE!!

My Car: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 4-Matic S-Model
SOLD April 2024: 2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car: 2024 Mercedes Benz GLC300 4Matic

• Home
  •  » Off Topic
  •  » Superautomatic ... espresso machine ... not gun

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.