saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-05-28 13:05:33

kenshapiro2002
Member
Registered: 2018-09-30
User Number: 46175
Posts: 32

Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

I see one on eBay that specifies “automatic†. Mine is a 5MT. Anybody know if there’s actually a difference? Anybody have one lying around?

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2019-05-28 13:27:21

snowphun
Member
From: Central CT
Registered: 2005-11-09
User Number: 890
Posts: 614

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

kenshapiro2002 wrote:

I see one on eBay that specifies “automatic� . Mine is a 5MT. Anybody know if there’s actually a difference? Anybody have one lying around?

That's interesting, the trans doesn't touch the cradle so I'm not sure what is different. I have one out of an MY04 STI but that's a different steering rack setup, so I'm thinking you need to be looking for MY05-07.

Offline

 

#3 2019-05-28 15:41:00

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
From: San Antonio, Texas
Registered: 2011-07-31
User Number: 5779
Posts: 2615

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

Got a picture so we know what you mean?  The front subframe can be replaced with a nice ladder setup or just removed if you want to save weight and take your chances in a fast head on collision smile


2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

Offline

 

#4 2019-05-28 19:58:24

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4542

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

Got a picture so we know what you mean?  The front subframe can be replaced with a nice ladder setup or just removed if you want to save weight and take your chances in a fast head on collision smile

There's the subframe, then there's the engine cradle.  The subframe is easy to remove, while the engine cradle is not.  I looked into that at one point to get the quicker ration steering rack.  I remember difference from Linear to Aero because of that, but don't remember if there's a manual/auto difference.


A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

Offline

 

#5 2019-05-30 02:53:53

elislider
accept no substitutes
Registered: 2014-11-30
User Number: 25881
Posts: 510

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

I can only assume you mean this thing. If so, then you want any 05-07 WRX *wagon only* (if you want it to be direct fit/swap)
https://jdmracingmotors.com/images/EnginePics/Full/3354_DSC_4520.jpg

Offline

 

#6 2019-05-30 07:34:03

snowphun
Member
From: Central CT
Registered: 2005-11-09
User Number: 890
Posts: 614

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

lizzardo wrote:

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

Got a picture so we know what you mean?  The front subframe can be replaced with a nice ladder setup or just removed if you want to save weight and take your chances in a fast head on collision smile

There's the subframe, then there's the engine cradle.  The subframe is easy to remove, while the engine cradle is not.  I looked into that at one point to get the quicker ration steering rack.  I remember difference from Linear to Aero because of that, but don't remember if there's a manual/auto difference.

Subaru doesn't use either of those terms, it's crossmember and frame assembly. it bugs me that people have started calling the U frame subframe because the crossmember which holds the control arms and rack is clearly the same type of component as the rear subframe.


At any rate, the crossmember part number is 20101SA040 . It is not wagon specific, it fits MY05-07 WRX and STI.

Offline

 

#7 2019-05-30 09:09:57

kenshapiro2002
Member
Registered: 2018-09-30
User Number: 46175
Posts: 32

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

Thanks everyone

Offline

 

#8 2019-05-30 12:12:58

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4542

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

snowphun wrote:

Subaru doesn't use either of those terms, it's crossmember and frame assembly. it bugs me that people have started calling the U frame subframe because the crossmember which holds the control arms and rack is clearly the same type of component as the rear subframe.

At any rate, the crossmember part number is 20101SA040 . It is not wagon specific, it fits MY05-07 WRX and STI.

My recollection of terms is from a few years back, and I think I got "engine cradle" from the online used parts sites.  Those do not always agree on terms with manufacturers, so be sure to confirm what's what.


A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

Offline

 

#9 2019-06-06 12:44:26

elislider
accept no substitutes
Registered: 2014-11-30
User Number: 25881
Posts: 510

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

snowphun wrote:

At any rate, the crossmember part number is 20101SA040 . It is not wagon specific, it fits MY05-07 WRX and STI.

Interesting. Looks like its just turbo vs non-turbo that is different for 04 and 05 Impreza (instead of sedan vs wagon)
I did a bunch of research on this years ago but now I don't remember

Offline

 

#10 2019-06-06 21:20:54

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4542

Re: Need A Subframe Engine Cradle Crossmember

elislider wrote:

snowphun wrote:

At any rate, the crossmember part number is 20101SA040 . It is not wagon specific, it fits MY05-07 WRX and STI.

Interesting. Looks like its just turbo vs non-turbo that is different for 04 and 05 Impreza (instead of sedan vs wagon)
I did a bunch of research on this years ago but now I don't remember

I was looking because I wanted to put the quicker ratio steering from the Aero onto my Linear.  I had collected a steering rack, and then realized the steering rack mounts were different (hoses too).  After a bit more research I gave up and sold the rack to Kornfeld.


A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.