saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2005-05-20 14:14:28

Bobby
User Number: 16

Re: Hey..Just found this place..!!

I've been checking out several options of applying a front end clear film:
1. Xpel
2  Stongard
3. Invinca-Shield

Are they all based on the same 3M source? The Stongard website has a photo showing how strong their vinyl film is (titled "Is that just tape?"):
http://www.stongard.com/marketing/tough.asp

Prices for a full set run to $500 and that's  a lot of pieces to apply.

The $600 to $800 installation packages by local dealers seem like a good deal IF they use a full set of film, or at least the front hood and the bumper. If it's just for the hood, I'd rather do it myself.

For guys who've done this already or have experience, what's your story abt this topic.

How much did it cost?
Did you apply it yourself?
Any problems?
Pros & cons of eact type of film?

Thanks in advance. Let's share our experiences...

Bobby

Black Aero 5spd

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2005-05-20 19:46:03

akaryrye
Enthusiast
User Number: 70

Just got me one today from Pleasanton

21,200 out the door with 180 miles on it
black
No options
Sweet smile

Red 1990 Miata - squirted n' sparked, gt2554 turbo
Black 1997 Miata - basically stock ... needs a bath

#28 2005-05-20 20:02:52

scottgf
Former, Ex Dealer Guy
Supporter
User Number: 13
Website

akaryrye wrote:

Just got me one today from Pleasanton

21,200 out the door with 180 miles on it
black
No options
Sweet smile

COOOOOOOOOL

Scott
05 9-2x Aero 5 Spd AP Stage 2 SOLD 10/2012     94 Dodge Viper RT/10
73 Plymouth Road Runner                                  63 VW
69 Ford Cortina GT                                            12 Chevy Volt

#29 2005-05-21 00:00:32

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

Bobby wrote:

I've been checking out several options of applying a front end clear film:
1. Xpel
2  Stongard
3. Invinca-Shield

Are they all based on the same 3M source? The Stongard website has a photo showing how strong their vinyl film is (titled "Is that just tape?"):
http://www.stongard.com/marketing/tough.asp

Prices for a full set run to $500 and that's  a lot of pieces to apply.

The $600 to $800 installation packages by local dealers seem like a good deal IF they use a full set of film, or at least the front hood and the bumper. If it's just for the hood, I'd rather do it myself.

For guys who've done this already or have experience, what's your story abt this topic.

How much did it cost?
Did you apply it yourself?
Any problems?
Pros & cons of eact type of film?

Thanks in advance. Let's share our experiences...

Bobby

I plan on doing a write up on my install of the film.  To answer your questions, I applied the basic Invinca-shield kit ($113) myself.  ook my time and it came out great.  The films are all the same.  They all use 3M Scotchcal which you could buy yoursefl for a few dollars a sheet direct from 3M.  I went with Invinca because everything is nicely pre-cut and they give you some items in the kit to aid in installation.  As soon as I get some time to snap pics, I'll post up a review.

EDIT: Review posted.

Last edited by eurospeed (2005-05-21 01:36:47)

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

#30 2005-05-21 12:57:47

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

eurospeed wrote:

The films are all the same.  They all use 3M Scotchcal which you could buy yoursefl for a few dollars a sheet direct from 3M.

The only company I've seen that uses something other than the 3M stuff is ClearMask.  They have a product called Aerogard that they say is used for LE protection on helo blades.  If it really is the same stuff the US Army uses on the helo blades I don't think it will look that good on a car since it has a matte finish.  I am tempted to try their headlight film from that stuff though.

#31 2005-05-21 19:03:31

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

tonka92x wrote:

eurospeed wrote:

The films are all the same.  They all use 3M Scotchcal which you could buy yoursefl for a few dollars a sheet direct from 3M.

The only company I've seen that uses something other than the 3M stuff is ClearMask.  They have a product called Aerogard that they say is used for LE protection on helo blades.  If it really is the same stuff the US Army uses on the helo blades I don't think it will look that good on a car since it has a matte finish.  I am tempted to try their headlight film from that stuff though.

Same stuff.  Check out 3M's site for information on the product.  The link is posted in my write up in Mods.  Basically the Scotchgard is not the dull stuff you are thinking of.  I'm going to add ClearMask to the list of vendors.

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

#32 2005-05-21 19:26:48

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter
User Number: 39

SHOULD WE NOT MOVE THIS DISCUSSION?

Seems to me (and I might be foggy) that we have a Clear Bra discussion going on simultaneously in more than one category. Maybe we should consolidate?

Park Cities Performance Center
www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#33 2009-01-15 17:45:19

AbACUZ
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 839
Website

iota wrote:

Yes, we're here -- the board was just started in the last 24 hours so I'm still working on getting stuff linked. I plan to link with all the relevant WRX mod info and everything I can find.

Thanks for joining, we should be up to speed soon smile if anyone has done any mods, has any tech info, experiences, problems, etc, please post!

so are things up to speed now ???

#34 2009-01-15 17:53:37

heathbar
Go Gators
User Number: 275

arrow-up  Tech info?   confused

star

Zipcar Aficionado

2005 Black Aero SOLD

#35 2019-05-19 00:04:22

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

After 5,154 days, Linear #1 on saab92x.com is no longer in my possession.  It was traded in today with 104,539 miles for a 2019 VW Golf Alltrack S.  The new Alltrack is a huge step up in sophistication, but lacks the raw directness the 92x had.  It's gonna take a while to get the feel for this new ride.

The 92x was a good car but had been suffering from old car disease for the last few years, with rust taking a big toll on it this last winter.  That and a few major mechanical issues (weeping head gasket on the passenger side, center diff was starting to act up again, valve cover gaskets leaking agian) were starting to crop up/repeat, and we decided it was time to part company with it as the repairs would cost far more than the car was worth.  So long 92x, you will be missed. saab

Last edited by tonka92x (2019-05-19 12:41:51)

#36 2019-05-20 16:58:16

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

10 year bump!  Well done, sir!

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#37 2019-05-22 07:51:02

Shiloh51933
User Number: 46351

tonka92x wrote:

After 5,154 days, Linear #1 on saab92x.com is no longer in my possession.  It was traded in today with 104,539 miles for a 2019 VW Golf Alltrack S.  The new Alltrack is a huge step up in sophistication, but lacks the raw directness the 92x had.  It's gonna take a while to get the feel for this new ride.

The 92x was a good car but had been suffering from old car disease for the last few years, with rust taking a big toll on it this last winter.  That and a few major mechanical issues (weeping head gasket on the passenger side, center diff was starting to act up again, valve cover gaskets leaking agian) were starting to crop up/repeat, and we decided it was time to part company with it as the repairs would cost far more than the car was worth.  So long 92x, you will be missed. saab

Congratulations on the new ride.  VW's are nice, real EDM vehicle.  I'm surprised you didn't go for a WRX if you liked the 9-2x so much.  I just purchased mine few months ago and I really like it.  I'm mostly into Volvo,  Ford and Honda right now but I'd consider a WRX after experiencing my 9-2X.

#38 2019-05-26 00:46:01

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

racerjim wrote:

10 year bump!  Well done, sir!

I figured I'd say the car was gone in the the same thread that I originally said I had it.  Sort of surprised it was only a 10 year bump.

Shiloh51933 wrote:

Congratulations on the new ride.  VW's are nice, real EDM vehicle.  I'm surprised you didn't go for a WRX if you liked the 9-2x so much.  I just purchased mine few months ago and I really like it.  I'm mostly into Volvo,  Ford and Honda right now but I'd consider a WRX after experiencing my 9-2X.

In big part I didn't go with a WRX because they didn't have a 5-door.  I need the space, and I wanted a manual.  To get that in a Subi I'd need to get a Forester, and I didn't want to go there, or a Crosstrek.  The Crosstrek was on the short list, but my spouse didn't care for it and I have some serious concerns about long-term durability.  My 9-2x had lost all the brake dust shields to rust, and 1 parking brake was non-functional due to the backing plate rusting off.  I had a control arm fail even after the recall, and they almost couldn't replace it because there was so much rust on the mounting point  And that was 6 years ago.  My daughter's 2015 Impreza has already lost a fuel pump, and when she had it in to look a some weirdness going on with the CVT they discovered a leaking head gasket.  She's getting a new CVT and a rebuilt engine.  And her sunroof randomly doesn't work.  My sister's 2018 Outback is the 3rd one she's owned since I purchased the 92x, and on this one she's having some issues with the EyeSight system that causes it to randomly panic brake.  She's been lucky that she hasn't been hit but the Subi service department wasn't so lucky, to the tune of $17,000 to repair the crash damage.  It looks like the car is being be bought back under the lemon law.  A co-worker has an Outback that has the CVT going.  The list goes on, but you get the idea.  I've had a couple of dozen VWs over the years so I sort of know what I'm getting myself into, although the Mk7/7.5 Golfs are more reliable than past versions.  Besides, I like the driving dynamics of the Mk7s.  It is different than the 92x, but in a much more refined way.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.