saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-02-05 18:01:07

ajm422
User Number: 46317

2005 9-2x Aero Manual with 53,000 miles: $9,000

2005 9-2x Aero with 5-speed, 53,000 miles, asking $9,000

I'm thinking of buying this car and wondering what everyone thinks of its value. I have the full Carfax report and pictures of the exterior, interior, and engine bay. I'm arranging for a pre-inspection.

It has had the timing belt done recently as well as the brakes and is seemingly very well serviced and cared for. The interior and engine bay both look astoundingly clean and there are not many exterior flaws.

Also, what kinds of things should I look for when I go to see this car? Any tips for buying one of these?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2019-02-05 20:31:21

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

Re: 2005 9-2x Aero Manual with 53,000 miles: $9,000

It's a premium price for a car that won't hold it's value due to low miles down the road...

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

#3 2019-02-06 06:43:25

snowphun
User Number: 890

Where has the car lived? These cars do badly with rust, the rear strut towers are a critical flaw and will end the car if ignored. The car can look spotless and still have badly rusted strut towers, the rear interior needs to be removed to properly inspect though sings of the problem can be seen in the rear wheel wells with a wheels removed. Examples: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth … ?t=2391932

$9k is steep but if it is clean and maintained and what you want then it's worth considering.

#4 2019-02-06 07:00:47

ajm422

snowphun wrote:

Where has the car lived? These cars do badly with rust, the rear strut towers are a critical flaw and will end the car if ignored. The car can look spotless and still have badly rusted strut towers, the rear interior needs to be removed to properly inspect though sings of the problem can be seen in the rear wheel wells with a wheels removed. Examples: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth … ?t=2391932

$9k is steep but if it is clean and maintained and what you want then it's worth considering.

I appreciate the comment. I've been reading about the rust. On the one hand, my Dad is a retired mechanic who spends his time fabricating custom hot rods, so, worst-case scenario I'll be able to fix the car. On the other hand, why make more work for yourself than you have to, right? Do you suppose I can ask the pre-sale inspection mechanic to check out the towers? I doubt I can get him to rip out the interior of the car, but is there anything he can detect just by looking at the wheel well?

Thanks!

#5 2019-02-06 10:59:26

snowphun
User Number: 890

Definitely ask a mechanic to have a look from the wheel wells: remove the rear wheels, get a good flashlight and look for the two bolts coming through the tower from the rear seatback bracket. There are two bolts welded to the tower, it will all be covered in undercoating so that does a good job of hiding the problem. But if the mechanic sees discoloration (rust stains) in this area, including the circular machining holes in the outer layer of steel, you've got an issue that needs addressing. If he sees actual rust or holes, you should give up on the car unless you can get it for a song. If he sees interior foam and the back of the seat get some pictures so we can have a laugh.

As you mentioned this can all be fixed, but for premium price it needs to be a solid car. The subframes and front control arms should be nice and clean as well, along wit the rear trailing arm mount points.

Good luck.

#6 2019-02-07 14:18:55

jixaw
User Number: 35856

the shock towers will make or break the sale...its a design flaw that affects all 02-07 subaru wagons as well as our saab 9-2x'....if the car spent any time in the northern part of NA (or anywhere roads are salted) it will have rust....no question about it....just a matter of how much and if the car is salvageable....

I bought my car before i knew about this...i ended up doing the repair but it was very very extensive and the car was down for several days...im still a bit nervous and check it a couple times a year.....

if i knew about this issue with my car i probably would not have bought it....im happy the repair is done but if i could go back in time i would really only look for a car that lived in warmer climates....

just my 2 cents

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#7 2019-02-07 14:25:30

ajm422

jixaw wrote:

the shock towers will make or break the sale...its a design flaw that affects all 02-07 subaru wagons as well as our saab 9-2x'....if the car spent any time in the northern part of NA (or anywhere roads are salted) it will have rust....no question about it....just a matter of how much and if the car is salvageable....

I bought my car before i knew about this...i ended up doing the repair but it was very very extensive and the car was down for several days...im still a bit nervous and check it a couple times a year.....

if i knew about this issue with my car i probably would not have bought it....im happy the repair is done but if i could go back in time i would really only look for a car that lived in warmer climates....

just my 2 cents

I appreciate the reply. I have asked the mechanic doing the inspection to look very carefully, though I do understand that the only real way to tell is to tear out the interior of the car. According to the current owner both he and the second owner (which accounts for miles 16,000-53,000 on the odometer) garaged the car, meaning it was garaged for most of its life. It has lived in the Pacific Northwest for its entire life, and the roads are not salted there. Hopefully that stacks the odds in my favor.

Again, worst case scenario, I can fix it pretty easily. I've been helping my Dad weld heavy steel into his project car for the past week.

#8 2019-02-07 14:38:44

jixaw
User Number: 35856

ajm422 wrote:

worst case scenario, I can fix it pretty easily. I've been helping my Dad weld heavy steel into his project car for the past week.

well you might ok if you are handy with a welder...thats really the best way to fix this...dont drop 9k on the car if it needs serious welding though....

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.