saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2018-12-15 02:25:25

NetG
User Number: 30689

timing belt snapped...head rebuilt...about to redo belt

Ok so I used substandard parts but thought they were legit when I bought them: they were NOT cheaply priced but found out the site I bought them from (which advertised themselves as all american made parts) were really just selling chinese made parts.

Now a little history of myself before I go on...I’m a factory, college trained, japanese car specialized mechanic.  I’ve done numerous timing belts, from my own honda accord, lexus ls400, and numerous customer toyota 4-8 cylinder vehicles and never once an issue.

I did the tbelt on this car and it was one I’d rate as being among the easiest I’ve done...however the belt snapped at just over 12,000 miles (RIGHT outside the parts warranty).  The belt tensioner was leaking as there was obvious fluid not only oozing from the tensioner seals bit also inside the the timing belt cover...I brake clean EVERYTHING before install too.  The cover also had fine debris tossed about it that appeared to be signs of the belt rubbing on something and making circular debris cast off around the pulleys BUT much of this was mixed with an oily residue and certainly not just dry belt material.

Now since I’ve NEVER had anything even close the this happen when using japanese parts on my japanese cars I HIGHLY suspect these cheap chinese parts being at fault (I HAVE had problems with chinese parts before hence why I don’t use them...knowingly...I have used chinese p/s pumps or alternators that fail quickly but never used a critical engine part...well knowingly). 

My question is has anyone had issues with t-belts rubbing against gears?  I’m paranoid now...though I’ve NEVER had issues before this with t-belts personally or professionally (I am not a tech anymore btw) the truth is all the engines I previously did belts on were not subaru...so this has me doubting myself...but the obvious tbelt material being diposited and much of it being oily especially around the tensioner AND seeing a leaking tensioner makes me not doubt myself as much.

I have had the heads rebuilt and am about to reinstall everything.  THIS time I’ve bought EVERYTHING direct from subaru except the head gaskets which I got from 6-star as they have had many great reviews by pro subaru engine builders

Last edited by NetG (2018-12-15 02:37:37)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2018-12-15 05:42:05

Rodman
User Number: 1046

Re: timing belt snapped...head rebuilt...about to redo belt

Do yourself a favor and get OEM head gaskets, you don’t want to find yourself doing head gaskets again on that motor. There has been a lot of talk about Chinese timing belt kits, people have had issues with Gates belt tensioners and pulley bearings, not with the belts themselves. Guessing you didn’t use a Gates kit.

2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold. 06 wrx, adios!
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm STi ver 7 drivetrain.
2005 desert silver aero, work horse JDM EJ205 AVCS
2002 bugeye, sedan :-( new project

#3 2018-12-15 08:52:14

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

What tolerance did you set the belt fences to? Especially the one over the crank pulley...

Also, if the tensioner oozed oul onto the belt, it was compromised and was doomed to fail.

How were the cam and crank seals?

Last edited by krazykarguy (2018-12-15 08:55:57)

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#4 2018-12-15 17:28:04

NetG
User Number: 30689

Thanks for the replies

Rodman wrote:

Do yourself a favor and get OEM head gaskets, you don’t want to find yourself doing head gaskets again on that motor. There has been a lot of talk about Chinese timing belt kits, people have had issues with Gates belt tensioners and pulley bearings, not with the belts themselves. Guessing you didn’t use a Gates kit.

I unfortunately did all my researching after the fact sad  it wasn’t gates it was from DNJ that markets themselves as made in america but everything is chinese parts.

I went with 6-star because some folks had issues with the oem’s, the 6-stars are multilayer and have a good history being used as replacements for the leaking hg issue.

krazykarguy wrote:

What tolerance did you set the belt fences to? Especially the one over the crank pulley...

Also, if the tensioner oozed oul onto the belt, it was compromised and was doomed to fail.

How were the cam and crank seals?

Mine doesn’t have the fences, from what I understand only manual transmission models had thrm installed.  I bought one and will be installing it following oem specs when I do.

cam and crank seals were replaced as was the water pump, all the pulleys and tensioners too...I replaced everything.

It failed at 12,000 miles and 13 months and I only saw the oozing after it failed but it wasn’t oozing at install.  Since it was so recent that I did the belt and the car ran fine I hadn’t taken the cover off so only saw the debris at that point.

I’m pretty sure the tensioner failed and thats what led to rubbing and the snap...16 valves and a head job later hmm

what sucks is the parts were on par with the more expensive japanese manufacturers, what I get for trying to buy made in america...after this happened I went back and looked at the site and while they have u.s. flags everywhere and go on about the COMPANY being in the us they never actually say “made in america��  on the parts.  japanese only parts from known and respected japanese manufactures from now on.

Last edited by NetG (2018-12-15 17:29:38)

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.