saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Car Talk
  •  » Potential New Owner...What to look for?

#1 2018-01-29 17:36:28

gzig5
User Number: 44464

Potential New Owner...What to look for?

Hi all.  I'm looking at a 2005 9-2x Linear.  Fairly low miles (~85k) and to my eye it looks and drives well. Is there anything to look for that wouldn't be obvious that are common problems with these cars?  It is the non-turbo 2.5l motor and automatic tranny.  Car is for my daughter who just turned 16.  Seems like a good fit for her.  I just don't know much/anything about these. 

Appreciate any guidance you can provide.  If this goes through, I'm sure you'll see more of me.
Thanks,
Greg

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2018-01-29 17:55:20

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Re: Potential New Owner...What to look for?

Hey Greg - one thing to assure has been completed is the timing belt service. It is overdue at this point in terms of the time component of the service. You'll want to have that done, or if it's not and in good condition, negotiate that in the price accordingly so you can do it. Typically about a $600-1,000 job depending on the shop.

Where are you located? There are 2 recalls that may or may not have been performed depending on where you live. Takata airbag recall (in humid areas especially but I think this recall has now trickled out to just about everyone at this point), front control arms (in areas prone to rust especially).

Another thing based on where you live would be the rear strut tower rust. They can get pretty bad if you're in the NE. If you're lucky and live in CA it's a non-issue wink

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

#3 2018-01-29 19:22:18

gzig5
User Number: 44464

I'm in the SE Wisconsin area.  Car lived it's one owner life somewhere in Illinois outside Chicago.  Very little rust underneath the car that I could see.  The Carfax is clean and shows regular maintenance but doesn't mention any recalls or the belt.  Seems most of these cars have timing belts.  WTH were they thinking?

Is the belt a doable DIY or are special tools needed?  I've set the cam timing on my 2000 BMW M5 DOHC V8 and am fairly handy.

It's at a used lot and they don't negotiate unless it has been sitting for a while.  It has only been for sale two weeks. It's priced at $6k.  More than I care to pay, but you don't get much of a car for any less even on the private market.

Last edited by gzig5 (2018-01-29 19:25:47)

#4 2018-01-30 12:10:18

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Yea the timing belt vs. timing chain is an annoyance. The belt is DIYable, especially if you've done cam timing on your bimmer.

$6k is Aero money since prices have dropped as the cars age but I'm assuming you'd rather have a Linear anyway for your daughter since they're slower and more reliable in the long run. You could also look at it from the savings you're getting compared to a 2005 Subaru impreza wagon since the Saabarus have always sold for less than their subie counterparts.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

• Home
  •  » Car Talk
  •  » Potential New Owner...What to look for?

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.