saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2016-01-08 15:01:56

pjmanoppo
User Number: 33728

Issues with suspension, even after replacement

So I've really been trying to research what could be causing my suspension issues but am starting to run out of places to look.

I bought my Aero about 3 months ago and the previous owner had dropped it pretty significantly with some eBay lowering springs with stock struts. The ride was pretty awful and you felt everything on the road. I replaced the springs with Mach V springs and did ball joints at the same time. Better ride and the banging from the ball joints was gone, but still pretty noticeable in the bump area. I finally pulled the trigger and bought Excel G struts and Group N strut mounts and put them in last week but really can't feel a difference, it's pretty similar to with the stock struts that were in it before. Handling is perfect (even better with the Group N's), but I still feel nearly every bump and the area I live in has roads that really aren't too bad.

I've been through 3 sets of tire/wheel combinations with only very minor differences, so I think I've pretty much eliminated this as the problem. I've also put almost 500 miles on the car since the strut/spring replacement, so I think we're outside the window of them setting in. Considering the ride feels pretty similar between the stock struts and the Excel G's (which are supposed to be close to stock), I'm ruling out the struts as well.

Am I just being unrealistic in my expectations of ride quality with a lowered car? I've driven older cars with worn suspension components for a good chunk of my life and this is worse than any of them. I've really tried to think of my suspension as a system rather than the individual pieces, but it's been hard not to when I've replaced nearly everything. The last thing I'm considering is that maybe the springs just aren't playing too nicely with the stock struts, but I'm hesitant to swap them out without knowing for sure it's what needs to be replaced.

Any ideas? Is anyone using the Excel G's and have a spring recommendation that is working for them?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2016-01-08 15:34:00

sohlman
21O2OLOR MA I
User Number: 11977

Re: Issues with suspension, even after replacement

Honestly the only way you're going to get comfort while being low is with a good set of coilovers. I switched from KYB GR-2 struts with Cobb sport springs to ST Coilovers (KW V1) and the difference in ride quality is night and day. The car still has minimum body roll, but unlike with lowering springs maintains a reasonable level of comfort.

06' Silver Aero 5MT
-White 2015 WRX - Whiteline rear swaybar, Perrin Spherical endlinks, Perrin brass shifter bushing, Cobb J pipe, Cobb Accessport, custom buzzard damage, Cobb Catback
-1968 Land Rover Seres IIA 88in- Top speed 65ish downhill, 0-60 if you're lucky, RHD, 2 1/4 liter diesel, a mess but it's my mess

#3 2016-01-08 16:16:21

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Switch back to stock springs? I am lowered on Tein H-tech lowering springs (stock struts still) and dont mind the ride. I like that it's a little firmer. The Mach-Vs aren't a super stiff spring rate so I'd say you've done what you can do to account for the somewhat stiffer ride compared to stock by pairing them with new struts. If you're still not pleased, I'd go back to stock.

2019 VW Alltrack 6MT
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | SOLD

#4 2016-01-18 14:05:44

pjmanoppo
User Number: 33728

Sorry about the late reply, had to fly across the country for work.

I would actually prefer a little bit of a firmer ride but this is getting pretty close to unbearable. I don't have a problem switching back to stock, but the Excel G's/Mach V's were similarly priced and all of the reviews I've read on them made them seem pretty good. A little frustrating that the reviews didn't align with what I experienced, but at least I've learned a bit. It also surprises me that so many people are capable of using stock struts and lowering springs without complaining of what I'm experiencing. It does make sense that I'd be experiencing it though. While I think a good set of coilovers would definitely help, I'm simply looking for a little bit lower of a car and a decent ride. If I really can't get that with lowering springs, I'll most likely just pick up some stock springs and forego being low.

#5 2016-01-19 18:45:07

AirSaab
User Number: 32704

sohlman wrote:

Honestly the only way you're going to get comfort while being low is with a good set of coilovers. I switched from KYB GR-2 struts with Cobb sport springs to ST Coilovers (KW V1) and the difference in ride quality is night and day. The car still has minimum body roll, but unlike with lowering springs maintains a reasonable level of comfort.

Actually I had Tein Coilovers on mine and it was still kinda bouncy. Baffled me but I just said it is what it is. Rail-like cornering and a nice stance is what I got and I was cool with it.

#6 2016-01-19 19:35:34

chad_w
User Number: 33640

Excel G's have less dampening than GR-2's and are just as poorly matched for a lower vehicle as the stock ones are.  I just went through the same thing with HR OE Sport (mild) springs and new oem struts.  I ended up by KYB Ultra SR from rockauto and I love the combo.  Firm but not bouncy at all.  If you want to do it for a few buck cheaper you can get KYB AGX, but you need to the spacers ($20) for the top of the rear strut shafts.

2006 9-2x Linear 5 spd "Ira".  I'll just get a beater and not mod it...Poly sway bar mount and link bushing front and rear, 2005 Wrx Front Brakes, H6 rears, Stoptech Street Pads, HR OE Sport Springs, KYB Ultra SR Struts, Replaced shift bushing with Poly, Alpine/JBL/NVX Stereo system, CNT Equal length long tube headers, with hi flow cat into STi Catback exhaust.

#7 2016-01-26 07:21:51

LatentWagen
Throbbing Member
User Number: 13976

AirSaab wrote:

sohlman wrote:

Actually I had Tein Coilovers on mine and it was still kinda bouncy. Baffled me but I just said it is what it is. Rail-like cornering and a nice stance is what I got and I was cool with it.

Tein Coilovers != a good set of coilovers... I've run the Tein Flex with EDFC on my WRX, and they were decent, at best. A well paired strut/spring combo would be better, in terms of handling & comfort compromise.

KW/RCE/ST are good coilovers, at a good price. Ohlins, AST, and a few others are great, but tend to be cost more than most of the Subarus/Saabarus they might be put on lol

Hers: 2006 MBM 5MT 9-2x Aero / 81k miles / Premium, Cold, Sport / Cobb APV3 Stage 1 on WRX Option Forged BBS / Staying Stock & Happy! big_smile
Mine: 2008 DGM 6MT Legacy spec. B / 175k / Tuning Alliance S.2+, Cobb TBE, PW TMIC, RCE Tarmac (KW), SSR Comp, Brembo F/R & DBA 5K/4K...

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.