saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#76 2005-07-12 23:43:18

JerseyJoe
User Number: 112

Re: Ok, gripes about the 9-2x.

The DRLs are a separate bulb in the reflector, not the main bulb at a lower wattage.  I dont know why they couldn't leave them in with the HIDs.

2005 Arctic Silver Aero 5MT - Open Stg 1 - When am I going to go Stage 2?
1971 Sunburst Orange Datsun 240Z 4MT - 99% factory original

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#77 2005-07-13 09:24:38

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

My gripes:

- no radio delete option
- no A/C delete option
- no power window delete option
- no side airbag delete option (I don't care if it's federally mandated now tongue )
- no cruise control delete option
- no overly paranoid legal sticker delete option (visors and seats...see comments for airbag)
- no two door option

Just think of those weight savings. embeer

I can live with the other small stuff.

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

#78 2005-07-13 09:33:14

argylesocks
No.13 Baby
User Number: 182

Nashco wrote:

My biggest complaint?  I'm now clumped together with a bunch of whiny Saab snaabs!lol

Bryce

ha, thats why i bought it smile

#79 2005-07-13 13:16:52

saabe1
User Number: 459
Website

JerseyJoe wrote:

The DRLs are a separate bulb in the reflector, not the main bulb at a lower wattage.  I dont know why they couldn't leave them in with the HIDs.

I guess I will just say it is my opinion that the DRL use the main bulb at a lower voltage. My opinion is based on the following observations.

1. The user manual does not talk about a separate bulb
2. The bulb behind the reflector changes brightnes when the headlight switch is turned on (compared to when the e-brake is off and the DRL is on). I don't think there is room behind that thing for two bulbs.
3. There is a small bulb in the reflector housing but it is for the park lights.
4. Guys looking at upgrading their bulbs to 9011/9012 HIR bulbs are worried about bulb life due to DRL.
Quote from that discussion.
"If I end up paying $60 for a couple bulbs the DRL's are definitely getting disconnected.  dirt, if you do a quick search you'll find a thread on disabling the DRL's.  I haven't done it yet myself but the process looks pretty simple."
5. People ask for a DRL disable mod when if it was a separate bulb they could just remove that one.

Anyway, I'm not taking out a bulb to find out but if anybody has then feel free to clarify.
Maybe JerseyJoe has? If that is the case, then you know for sure so I'll take your word for it.

saabe1, 9-2X Aero, Cold Weather, Satin Grey.
Performance: OEM Short Shift
Cosmetic/Functionality: OEM Trunk Tray, FHI - Gauge Pack, Rear Diff Protect, Rear Cup Holder and Cargo Net.

#80 2005-07-13 13:26:04

heathbar
Go Gators
User Number: 275

eurospeed wrote:

My gripes:

- no radio delete option
- no A/C delete option
- no side airbag delete option (I don't care if it's federally mandated now tongue )
- no overly paranoid legal sticker delete option (visors and seats...see comments for airbag)
- no two door option

um....  except for those of us that actually drive our 92x in rush hour traffic, where comfort is much more important than speed...

... unless you were joking, then nevermind  roll

no hard feelings, but everyone else just sounds like a bunch of whiners, I love my 92x no complaints  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Zipcar Aficionado

2005 Black Aero SOLD

#81 2005-07-13 17:12:23

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter

heathbar wrote:

um....  except for those of us that actually drive our 92x in rush hour traffic, where comfort is much more important than speed...

... unless you were joking, then nevermind  roll

no hard feelings, but everyone else just sounds like a bunch of whiners, I love my 92x no complaints  big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

Nope, was only partially joking.  I own a car to drive it, not to sit in it. tongue  If they don't add to performance, luxury accoutrements are wasteful and unnecessary.  Weight savings is not just about speed either, you also get the benefit of better balance and a lighter chassis for improved handling (including braking) and fuel economy. tongue embeer banana

#82 2005-07-14 01:17:42

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

argylesocks wrote:

Nashco wrote:

My biggest complaint?  I'm now clumped together with a bunch of whiny Saab snaabs!lol

Bryce

ha, thats why i bought it smile

I guess I could make some comment about now being lumped together with WRX boy-racers, but I won't.  Gotta go get my steering wheel tinted.

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

#83 2005-07-14 02:41:05

john_matrix
Administrator
SupporterModerator
User Number: 168

eurospeed wrote:

My gripes:

- no radio delete option
- no A/C delete option
- no two door option

You gotta be kidding me for a daily driver!

My neighbor picked up a geo metro for a couple hundred bucks, maybe that is what you are looking for.
How much weight does crusie control add? Why not just go on a diet yourself?smile

#84 2005-07-14 11:53:48

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter

john_matrix wrote:

My neighbor picked up a geo metro for a couple hundred bucks, maybe that is what you are looking for.
How much weight does crusie control add? Why not just go on a diet yourself?smile

I don't like gadgets and extraneous shit in a car.  I'd rather focus on driving.  Anything that disconnects me from the driving experience, e.g. cruise is a waste.  I am 5' 11" and 170 lb FWIW. tongue

#85 2005-07-14 11:59:56

john_matrix
Administrator
SupporterModerator

eurospeed wrote:

john_matrix wrote:

I don't like gadgets and extraneous shit in a car.  I'd rather focus on driving.  Anything that disconnects me from the driving experience, e.g. cruise is a waste.  I am 5' 11" and 170 lb FWIW. tongue

I agree driving is good. But seriously a lot of my driving involves going in a straight line with a speed limit, and sometimes in sweltering heat.

I'm sure you've had a car with no a/c, and it sucks ass.

The a/c died on my last car, and I will never go without it again. Maybe I'm just a baby.smile

#86 2005-07-14 12:40:57

Snaab9-2
Your Arms Off
User Number: 283

eurospeed wrote:

My gripes:

- no radio delete option
- no A/C delete option
- no two door option

A/C delete option?  Are you kidding me?  This isn't a race car.  confused

The weight of the things you listed above really isn't that much.  Go by an EVO RS... it will better suite your needs by far!

05 Red SAAB 9-2 Aero 5 Speed: AP Stage 2 93 - FHI 20mm Rear Sway Bar - Stromung Shorty DP - STI UP - STI Axle Back

#87 2005-07-14 19:02:59

CrazyTrain
Ex 9-2x Owner
Supporter
User Number: 276

The seat is starting to bug me a little.  I feel the wings of the seat digging into my thighs.  I thought they'd soften up, but after driving 1200 miles it's still the same.  Maybe it's the way I have the seat positioned....need to play around with it.

#88 2005-07-14 19:04:46

john_matrix
Administrator
SupporterModerator

Well, you still have many miles left, they probably will soften a bit.

#89 2005-07-14 21:10:38

Halfnip
User Number: 119

My biggest grip is that my wife is alway driving it.

#90 2005-07-14 21:21:51

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter

turbo20vjetta wrote:

A/C delete option?  Are you kidding me?  This isn't a race car.  confused

The weight of the things you listed above really isn't that much.  Go by an EVO RS... it will better suite your needs by far!

Not kidding and it doesn't need to qualify as a race car for reasonable option removal tongue ...heat doesnt bother me anyways...go figure.  I'll take the added hp and weight savings any day.  Why would I want an EVO when I have this one for about 13K less??

#91 2005-07-14 22:44:32

cannarella
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 287

None of the controlls on the doors for windows and locks light up.  Only the drivers side window switch lights up.  You can't tell where anything is.

Andy

Black 05 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT Cold - Gutted UP - TurboXS Stealthback - AP V1 STG2 93OCT
If my phaser discharges off by as little as .06 terra watts, it would cause a cascading exothermal inversion.

#92 2005-07-16 04:34:25

MidnightRunner
Saab 92x Linear
User Number: 543

It was 105 here today.  I'll take the AC.

saab 92x Linear
     Midnight Black Mica, 5MT, Cold Weather Package, Moonroof, and Smiles to Spare.
     Mods:  Alpine CDA-9856 (XM and iPod adapters); Tint (70% front, 5% back)
1998 BMW 328i -- Avus Blue, Sport Package, 5MT.

#93 2005-07-16 08:55:52

CrazyTrain
Ex 9-2x Owner
Supporter

Hey, I think I got jipped.  The lighter is a fake!  yikeslol
Just realized it's a plastic plug.  Why did they even bother?

#94 2005-07-16 13:33:50

silverstreak
User Number: 537

-Uncomfortable seats (try sleeping in one)
- slow windows
- crap clutch
- lousy brakes
- roll roll roll
- visor warnings
- very small gas tank
- vinyl shift boot and knob

but, as i decided when test driving the 9-2x back to back with the STI, almost all of these problems are fixable. I just didnt realize how hard a seat replacement would be (Airbag + seat heaters- how would you move those over to a recaro???)

2005 Aero 92x Cobb stage 2 ECU, Stoptech 4pot/Subi 2pot, Cobb anti-roll bars, DownPipe, Goodyear Eagle F1s + Nokian Rsi Snow tires

#95 2005-07-16 15:14:54

pau

I have a few gripes.

1.  I found a small crease in the metal on the hood right by the front passenger fender.  It is maybe 1 inch long and only visible at an angle but I am sure the dealer will not fix it and I am sure that I did not do it.

2.  I have significant throttle lag.  When I hit the pedal there is a delay in the acceleration, even in neutral.

3.  I do not like the acceleration in first gear.  It seems like you have to ride the clutch to prevent a small stutter when starting off the line.

Anyone else have these problems?

#96 2005-07-16 15:23:41

EvoRS
User Number: 269

pau wrote:

I have a few gripes.

3.  I do not like the acceleration in first gear.  It seems like you have to ride the clutch to prevent a small stutter when starting off the line.

That's common for AWD cars -- my Evo is the same way.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII RS, 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

#97 2005-07-16 16:40:52

Snaab9-2
Your Arms Off
User Number: 283

silverstreak wrote:

-Uncomfortable seats (try sleeping in one)
- slow windows
- crap clutch
- lousy brakes
- roll roll roll
- visor warnings
- very small gas tank
- vinyl shift boot and knob

but, as i decided when test driving the 9-2x back to back with the STI, almost all of these problems are fixable. I just didnt realize how hard a seat replacement would be (Airbag + seat heaters- how would you move those over to a recaro???)

The gas tank is hardly very small.  confused

05 Red SAAB 9-2 Aero 5 Speed: AP Stage 2 93 - FHI 20mm Rear Sway Bar - Stromung Shorty DP - STI UP - STI Axle Back

#98 2005-07-16 16:44:23

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

EvoRS wrote:

pau wrote:

I have a few gripes.

That's common for AWD cars -- my Evo is the same way.

That's common for Turbo AWD cars. My Audi also does this, but to a lesser degree.
It does have notably more torque and more important, compression, so that helps,
but it doesn't eliminate the issue.

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#99 2005-07-16 17:18:13

parker
User Number: 149

My biggest complaint after 1500 total miles (including several 200 mile trips home to my parents' house) is with the seat comfort. I'm still adjusting the seat distance / height / recline on a near-daily basis trying to find the perfect combination. I like having bolsters to hold me in place on turns but my old Jeep Grand Cherokee's 8-way power seats look like La-Z-Boy recliners in comparison.

2005 9-2x Aero (Arctic Silver) MT/Cold
2021 Kia Niro EV EX Premium

#100 2005-07-17 23:34:35

CrazyTrain
Ex 9-2x Owner
Supporter

Watch out for the carpet & plastic trim in the rear of the vehicle.  Today I moved a small bookcase with my 92x.  The carpet is very thin and scuffs easily.  I also bumped the plastic around the rear hatch once and put a little scratch in it.  It's not like we just threw the bookcase on the back of the car either.  Two of us picked it up and carefully laid in the the back.  We were careful when removing the bookcase also.

I'd recommend using a blanket or something to lay in the back if you plan on actually using all that cargo space to move stuff.  That includes items like luggage which can scuff the carpet.  I also feel the carpet is very slippery.  Items that did not move on the carpet in my other cars seem to slide all over the place in the 92x. I don't expect it to be a pickup, but I do expect the carpet and plastics to hold up to everyday living.  As of today I think the plastic is too soft and the carpet too thin & slippery.  Drives great though big_smile

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.