saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2006-09-05 20:34:16

ahmer92x
User Number: 969

Re: Good snow tires?

I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's that are AWESOME. I got them on tirerack for a great price

2005 9-2x Aero MT Black
2006 9-3 2.0T AT Blue

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2006-09-05 20:54:42

mberk007
User Number: 1000

It depends what you want from the tires.  Some are great on ice, others are great in snow...  I have Wintersport M3's on my 92x and they are ok on ice and ok on snow, but they are fantastic when in the winter when there is no snow or ice and you just want to enjoy driving without squirly soft winter treads.

#28 2006-10-05 21:50:33

Saab Knob
User Number: 838

roxor I would highly recommend the Nokian Winter tires they rock! I just talked to the guys at Tire Factory and they have launched a new web-site with pricing and everything at www.tiresbyweb.com. They said they are still willing to honor the discount on the Nokians of $10 offer per tire and FREE SHIPPING in the Continental US through Nov 30th 2006 by mentioning this forum like last year. You can still reach them at 800-576-1009.

#29 2006-10-06 00:52:48

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

arrow-up Just so you know, there are multiple grades of Nokian snows

WR - "All-Season" - ONLY snowflake on the mtn rated all-season, snow performance on par with the Dunlop Wintersport M3, BUT will handle summer temps that would kill the Dunlops.

RSi - Studless Winter - One of the best Studless in Snow, Ice and Rain. Tolerable dry but quiet. I'm running them in the snowbelt of NY b/c they're still a reasonable dry highway tire.

Hakka 4 - Studded (prefer Nokian's EcoStuds, they're ceramic, last longer and aren't slippery in the wet). Ultimate Ice/Deep Snow. You do give up dry performance with these.

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#30 2006-10-06 03:16:55

markb
User Number: 1289

I run 17in stock Enkei with RE011 (worn out) summers and just recieved 17 in. BBS RK rims from Charles River (500 US$) for some all seasons, I have yet to mount,  but thought I would quote all the typing I did for the Canadian winter crowd.

For a good 2005 snow tire review look here.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/autom … story.html

I run 16in RSi's and they are very good, Kal tire in Sask did a great deal on the rims at the same time.
I have a friend that just bought a TireCraft Franchise, and he handed me a brouchure this week, that shows the Nokian equals or better from Conti (Conti WinterViking 2 and ContiViking Contact 3) will be available very soon (if not already) in Canada. Not sure of the prices yet.  From the review that I linked too, you may do very well on the Michelin X-Ice (price and performance), available at Tire Craft, Canadian tire, KalTire, and Costco as well.  As for the Bridgestones,(and Firestones, same company) I won't be buying another set in my lifetime after the RE011. (What tire brand was on those Ford Explorer's that used to flip on a dime again? confused???)

On a particularily bad winter day last year (100km of black ice.) I drove past many cars that went off the road on my Rsi's.  I still plan on getting some 15 inch studded tires in the future though, (studding is legal here, and all the Fin's love it as well) Probably the Conti Winter Viking 2.  Studded Nokians are at least $250 Canadian a tire.

P.S. The Silica used in any of the best handling wearing and sticking new winter performance tires, is derived from canola oil.  We grow lots of that in Saskatchewan, NOKIAN uses Finish canola, but choosing a tire that contains Silica can't hurt the Farmers.

P.S.S. The Dunlop M3 is a very good choice, Wins Tire racks performance winter.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyres … W&VT=C
and not included in the survey for all out winter tires I linked above.  But for all out winter, think studs, lugs, sipes, and grooves and Silica.

#31 2006-10-06 09:42:15

Alan l.
Keeping it clean
User Number: 378

I picked up a set of the new Dunlop Wintersport D3's to try out this winter.  I'll report my findings after our first snow storm.  Hopefully soon  big_smile

#32 2006-10-06 17:51:01

wtlwdwgn
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 906

This will be the first winter with the 18mm rear sway bar and the Michelin PA2's. Visions of Monte Carlo, Sweden and other WRC events in the snow!

Steve

06 92x Aero, Arctic Silver, 5 MT, Leather, Roof, Cold, HIDs, 17s, gone to TX but still in the family (sigh)
11 Subaru Forester Premium, 4EAT, really big Roof, 17s

#33 2006-10-09 09:58:26

Siper2
User Number: 833

Trev wrote:

Depending on how much snow you get, either Nokian WR's or RSi's

(WR's for a bit o' snow, RSi's for a LOT of snow)

I agree.  I own the RSi models, and used to own the Hakkapeliitta 1 model.  Nobody beats Nokian.

And if you *really* want the best, get the Hakkapeliitta 2, studded.  "The beast" of snow tires.

www.nokiantires.com

-------
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
www.RS25.com - Moderator (Regionals)
www.nasioc.com - "Scooby Guru"

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.