saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2020-11-27 22:14:47

Baobiao
Member
Registered: 2020-08-05
User Number: 46983
Posts: 46

Saabarus in Southern Michigan

I know we've got a few more Saabarus rolling around the Ann Arbor area than the average town, but I was surprised to spot 2 new ones in as many days this Thanksgiving week.

Saw a Silver 2.5i on the I-96 heading home on Thanksgiving day. Super crispy. We waved as we passed each other.

Saw a black or dark blue Saabaru of unknown year and model drive down my street in the Ypsilanti area today/Friday while I was changing the o ring on my Aero's powersteering pump hose in the driveway. Ran down the driveway and waved enthusiastically, which I don't think the driver even noticed but most of my beer-drinking-in-the-front-yard neighbors did.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2020-11-28 07:55:09

JoshReedDC
Member
From: Youngstown, NY
Registered: 2016-04-12
User Number: 36321
Posts: 22

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Baobiao wrote:

Ran down the driveway and waved enthusiastically, which I don't think the driver even noticed but most of my beer-drinking-in-the-front-yard neighbors did.

lol embeer actually chucked out loud


-Josh Reed
05 Saab 9-2x aero...owned it once, own it again. Same love, more problems smile

Offline

 

#3 2020-11-30 08:26:02

saabroo
Not Moderater
From: Yardley PA
Registered: 2015-07-02
User Number: 31977
Posts: 391

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Ha!  lol


2019 Audi A4 Quattro
2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant
2005 Saab 9-2x 4EAT. SOLD
2010 Camaro V8 2SS/RS 6MT with Maggie. 513whp, 480tq. SOLD

Offline

 

#4 2020-12-03 08:12:32

ChasedToast
Vroom Vroom!
From: Southern Michigan
Registered: 2017-08-29
User Number: 41961
Posts: 19
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

I'm not in the Ann Arbor area so I can't help you out much with your spottings, but I do know that there are three of us in Jackson and I know of another in Ypsi. All are Aeros, and I have seen a silver linear in the Spring Arbor area more than once. Hopefully you can get them to wave back next time!  biggrin


2005 DSM Aero 5MT "Stage 2"

Blog: chasedtoast.wordpress.com
Store: chasedtoast.bigcartel.com

Offline

 

#5 2020-12-08 21:31:29

MillwrightMatt
Member
From: Ypsilanti MI
Registered: 2020-12-08
User Number: 47111
Posts: 11

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Baobiao wrote:

I know we've got a few more Saabarus rolling around the Ann Arbor area than the average town, but I was surprised to spot 2 new ones in as many days this Thanksgiving week.

Saw a Silver 2.5i on the I-96 heading home on Thanksgiving day. Super crispy. We waved as we passed each other.

Saw a black or dark blue Saabaru of unknown year and model drive down my street in the Ypsilanti area today/Friday while I was changing the o ring on my Aero's powersteering pump hose in the driveway. Ran down the driveway and waved enthusiastically, which I don't think the driver even noticed but most of my beer-drinking-in-the-front-yard neighbors did.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I live in Ypsilanti/Superior Township, just bought a stock and completely rust free 2006 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof (Arctic Silver) a few weeks ago.

Currently on 08 WRX wheels and snow tires

Just bought my Stage 2+ parts, also put some new headlight bulbs and reverse lights in. Need to do the 3m headlight refresh soon.


2006 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof Arctic Silver (11/22/2020)

Offline

 

#6 2020-12-08 21:45:28

Richie T
Member
Registered: 2020-10-24
User Number: 47053
Posts: 10

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

I just brought two to the Royal Oak area.

Offline

 

#7 2020-12-09 08:26:36

Shiloh51933
Member
Registered: 2019-02-23
User Number: 46351
Posts: 61

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

MillwrightMatt wrote:

Baobiao wrote:

I know we've got a few more Saabarus rolling around the Ann Arbor area than the average town, but I was surprised to spot 2 new ones in as many days this Thanksgiving week.

Saw a Silver 2.5i on the I-96 heading home on Thanksgiving day. Super crispy. We waved as we passed each other.

Saw a black or dark blue Saabaru of unknown year and model drive down my street in the Ypsilanti area today/Friday while I was changing the o ring on my Aero's powersteering pump hose in the driveway. Ran down the driveway and waved enthusiastically, which I don't think the driver even noticed but most of my beer-drinking-in-the-front-yard neighbors did.

Happy Thanksgiving.

I live in Ypsilanti/Superior Township, just bought a stock and completely rust free 2006 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof (Arctic Silver) a few weeks ago.

Currently on 08 WRX wheels and snow tires

Just bought my Stage 2+ parts, also put some new headlight bulbs and reverse lights in. Need to do the 3m headlight refresh soon.

Pics please!!

Offline

 

#8 2020-12-09 11:25:32

MillwrightMatt
Member
From: Ypsilanti MI
Registered: 2020-12-08
User Number: 47111
Posts: 11

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

https://i.ibb.co/XFKczTW/20201209-111932.jpg

I was in my Duramax, pardon the big mirror lol


2006 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof Arctic Silver (11/22/2020)

Offline

 

#9 2020-12-09 20:15:09

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
From: San Antonio, Texas
Registered: 2011-07-31
User Number: 5779
Posts: 2663

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

MillwrightMatt wrote:

pardon the big mirror

Ask Trump, he probably will.


2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone
1972 Mach 1 Mustang

Offline

 

#10 2020-12-10 08:31:48

Rodman
Member
From: Long Island
Registered: 2006-03-01
User Number: 1046
Posts: 2619

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

MillwrightMatt wrote:

pardon the big mirror

Ask Trump, he probably will.

For the right price.


2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold. 06 wrx, adios!
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm EJ205 avcs.
2005 desert silver aero, traded.
2002 bugeye, sedan, JDM STi ver 7 swapped.

Offline

 

#11 2020-12-10 08:53:21

MillwrightMatt
Member
From: Ypsilanti MI
Registered: 2020-12-08
User Number: 47111
Posts: 11

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

MillwrightMatt wrote:

pardon the big mirror

Ask Trump, he probably will.

😆  lol the biggest mirrors, the best mirrors, the hugest mirrors


2006 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof Arctic Silver (11/22/2020)

Offline

 

#12 2020-12-13 13:44:48

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
From: Ann Arbor
Registered: 2005-11-16
User Number: 897
Posts: 2404
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

MillwrightMatt wrote:

I live in Ypsilanti/Superior Township, just bought a stock and completely rust free 2006 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof (Arctic Silver) a few weeks ago.

I'm Prospect/Plymouth, but I have all the rust yours doesn't after 15 years of ownership. Ha ha.

Offline

 

#13 2020-12-13 21:53:28

MillwrightMatt
Member
From: Ypsilanti MI
Registered: 2020-12-08
User Number: 47111
Posts: 11

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

bentmettle wrote:

MillwrightMatt wrote:

I live in Ypsilanti/Superior Township, just bought a stock and completely rust free 2006 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof (Arctic Silver) a few weeks ago.

I'm Prospect/Plymouth, but I have all the rust yours doesn't after 15 years of ownership. Ha ha.

You're close! Prospect south of Ford. Aero or Linear and what color?


2006 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof Arctic Silver (11/22/2020)

Offline

 

#14 2020-12-14 17:20:53

Baobiao
Member
Registered: 2020-08-05
User Number: 46983
Posts: 46

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

@chasedtoast I'll have to keep an eye out for saabarus next time I'm in town for some coneys.

@MillwrightMatt you're just a stones throw away from me. Maybe I'll see you or bentmettle on the drive out to Neehees. Any idea what happened to the prospect swans?

Any favorite drives around here? I take Geddes/Fuller out to Ann Arbor and along the river for work a lot (luckily mostly before rush hour). Tooled around a bit on the roads between Ypsi/Kensington/Plymouth/Canton, and hit some backroad between Ann Arbor/Dexter/Manchester/Saline. The dirt roads tend to come up pretty frequently though.

Will post some pics when I clean it up/learn how to post photos. Haven't changed anything visible (new clutch, new headlight ballasts, many an o ring) since I bought it from Deliverator in the summer.

Offline

 

#15 2020-12-15 07:39:18

ChasedToast
Vroom Vroom!
From: Southern Michigan
Registered: 2017-08-29
User Number: 41961
Posts: 19
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Baobiao wrote:

@chasedtoast I'll have to keep an eye out for saabarus next time I'm in town for some coneys.

@MillwrightMatt you're just a stones throw away from me. Maybe I'll see you or bentmettle on the drive out to Neehees. Any idea what happened to the prospect swans?

Any favorite drives around here? I take Geddes/Fuller out to Ann Arbor and along the river for work a lot (luckily mostly before rush hour). Tooled around a bit on the roads between Ypsi/Kensington/Plymouth/Canton, and hit some backroad between Ann Arbor/Dexter/Manchester/Saline. The dirt roads tend to come up pretty frequently though.

Will post some pics when I clean it up/learn how to post photos. Haven't changed anything visible (new clutch, new headlight ballasts, many an o ring) since I bought it from Deliverator in the summer.

There's a few decent roads in the Jackson area, but most head towards Chelsea/Ann Arbor so you could make a little day trip out of them. Typically I start out on Seymour Road and take that all the way until I make a right on Clear Lake Rd, from there it's a quick left onto Harvey/Cavanaugh Lake Rd which dumps you off just shy of downtown Chelsea. There's good roads in the Hell area, but some are a little more rough than others. My favorite out there is Hankerd, they just re-chipped it last summer so it should be decent for the next couple of years. Huron River Drive from Ann Arbor to Hudson Mills is nice since it follows the river, but expect a lot of bikers along the way.


2005 DSM Aero 5MT "Stage 2"

Blog: chasedtoast.wordpress.com
Store: chasedtoast.bigcartel.com

Offline

 

#16 2020-12-15 10:52:47

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
From: Ann Arbor
Registered: 2005-11-16
User Number: 897
Posts: 2404
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Desert silver and rust aero.  I haven’t been driving it much. 

I haven’t seen or heard anything about the swans since this summer.

I did see a ton of swans on Frains lake yesterday tho and that was a bit odd. I’ve been here for 10 years now in this house and can’t recall seeing any before.

My car is probably paying me back for years of gravel road driving and mild snow shenanigans.

Thanks for starting the thread.  The forum isn’t exactly in a growth mode per se so it’s amusing to find a local pocket of people that all live reasonably near by.

Offline

 

#17 2020-12-15 13:50:31

mbandi
Mmmmmmm Scooby!
From: Transfer, Pa
Registered: 2011-01-31
User Number: 5179
Posts: 324

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

@chasedtoast I have spent the last hour checking out your blog and videos of what you have done to my old car. Man I am glad it went to a good home. I miss it dearly, but you have made it a completely different animal then when I had it. It looks great! Keep up the good work.


SOLD: The Wife's 2005 9-2X Aero, 4EAT, Midnight Black Mica
SOLD: 2005 9-2X Aero, Manual, Arctic Silver, 2.1 Stroker
SOLD: 2005 9-2X Aero. Desert Silver, 5 speed

Offline

 

#18 2020-12-15 20:24:40

Baobiao
Member
Registered: 2020-08-05
User Number: 46983
Posts: 46

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

@chasedtoast will be checking out the Hackerd Road drive soon

@bentmettle I'm shocked there are this many of us around here. This might be a good place to ask if anyone's got a good mechanic in the area. I've had good experiences with Packard Auto but this is the first car I've owned in years so I don't have a lot of experience. At the moment I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna at-home change my own front struts or not when the time comes.

Offline

 

#19 2020-12-16 07:22:02

ChasedToast
Vroom Vroom!
From: Southern Michigan
Registered: 2017-08-29
User Number: 41961
Posts: 19
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

mbandi wrote:

@chasedtoast I have spent the last hour checking out your blog and videos of what you have done to my old car. Man I am glad it went to a good home. I miss it dearly, but you have made it a completely different animal then when I had it. It looks great! Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much! I've tried to keep it as nice as you kept it while still adding my own touches here and there. I'm glad to see that you're active on the forum again too! I started the blog last year with the intent to keep it as a running overview of the car but I haven't stayed on top of it until recently. My plan is to write/post more on the blog to give me something to do and for others to use as a resource for installs, part diagrams, etc. I'm trying to finish up the second half of my post about Boxer Takeover and then I'll make another about what I have laying around to install this winter. A lot of my most recent pictures and things are on my Instagram but I know that isn't the best source for information, especially with some of the old school forum guys. I just recently got a new phone and was thinking of doing some basic walkaround or one-take styled videos to put on Youtube also as I think it'd be fun, but we'll just have to wait and see how that pans out.  driving

Baobiao wrote:

@chasedtoast will be checking out the Hackerd Road drive soon

@bentmettle I'm shocked there are this many of us around here. This might be a good place to ask if anyone's got a good mechanic in the area. I've had good experiences with Packard Auto but this is the first car I've owned in years so I don't have a lot of experience. At the moment I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna at-home change my own front struts or not when the time comes.

A lot of the roads in the Hell area are pretty decent, especially if you're just out for a responsible Sunday cruise. Could always grab a bite to eat at either of the restaurants there too! There's a performance shop in Jackson called JEM-Sport, they've done some work on my car and I've been pretty happy with most of it. They've gotten me out of a couple pickles before too. For the front struts, they really aren't too hard to do yourself as long as you've got the tools and space. Three bolts up top, two bolts through the knuckle and one small one holding the brake line on. Zip those out and rinse and repeat for the install and other side then you'll just need to get an alignment to make sure nothing is too far off.


2005 DSM Aero 5MT "Stage 2"

Blog: chasedtoast.wordpress.com
Store: chasedtoast.bigcartel.com

Offline

 

#20 2020-12-18 20:26:07

Baobiao
Member
Registered: 2020-08-05
User Number: 46983
Posts: 46

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Just put on the winter tires and between looking at the naked struts and then riding around on the winter tires I'm thinking it's definitely time to get 'em switched. Which means the room-mates's  garage is getting a space heater for Christmas.

Had to lastminute drive the back way to AA Wednesday night with the summer shoes still on and the first thing I did the next morning when my knuckles had stopped shaking and gotten their color back was put on the winters.

Offline

 

#21 2020-12-19 09:19:01

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
From: Ann Arbor
Registered: 2005-11-16
User Number: 897
Posts: 2404
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Front struts are pretty easy.

I wish I'd done mine years sooner - only snag I had was thinking the bumpstops from KYB were stupid.  I still used them, I just thought they were stupid.

If you have a tool deficit, you are welcome to pop over. 

I didn't get an alignment because I didn't see how the camber would be adjustable anyway?

Offline

 

#22 2020-12-19 09:19:11

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
From: Ann Arbor
Registered: 2005-11-16
User Number: 897
Posts: 2404
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Front struts are pretty easy.

I wish I'd done mine years sooner - only snag I had was thinking the bumpstops from KYB were stupid.  I still used them, I just thought they were stupid.

If you have a tool deficit, you are welcome to pop over. 

I didn't get an alignment because I didn't see how the camber would be adjustable anyway?

Offline

 

#23 2020-12-19 14:40:08

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
From: Kennesaw, GA
Registered: 2005-06-16
User Number: 247
Posts: 3370

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

Department of redundancy department...   big_smile


My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

Offline

 

#24 2020-12-21 03:19:46

MillwrightMatt
Member
From: Ypsilanti MI
Registered: 2020-12-08
User Number: 47111
Posts: 11

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

I saw the swan family that lived on the east side of Prospect near the Nature Preserve quite a bit and then the road crew redid that drainage pipe and I didn't really see them again. They were so close to the road I kind of had a bad feeling about it, I hope they made it 🤞

Huron River drive along the river is a good one. Ridge roD from Cherry hill/Geddes is okay I guess. Superior road is nice but super short, I wish Geddes between dixboro and Superior was repaved. Last time they did that was 10 years ago.


2006 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT Leather Moonroof Arctic Silver (11/22/2020)

Offline

 

#25 2020-12-21 20:30:29

saabe1
Member
From: Kansas
Registered: 2005-07-06
User Number: 459
Posts: 386
Website

Re: Saabarus in Southern Michigan

bentmettle wrote:

Front struts are pretty easy.

I wish I'd done mine years sooner - only snag I had was thinking the bumpstops from KYB were stupid.  I still used them, I just thought they were stupid.

If you have a tool deficit, you are welcome to pop over. 

I didn't get an alignment because I didn't see how the camber would be adjustable anyway?

I believe the top bolt of the strut attachment is a "camber bolt". So, if you marked the position before removal it is fine but if not your camber may be off.
see something like this - https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth … ?t=1590221


saabe1, 9-2X Aero, Cold Weather, Satin Grey.
Performance: OEM Short Shift
Cosmetic/Functionality: OEM Trunk Tray, FHI - Gauge Pack, Rear Diff Protect, Rear Cup Holder and Cargo Net.

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.