saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2020-07-19 15:45:55

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

It's a manual linear. It starts as just a whining in 2nd and starts to get louder in each gear.  The grinding is also only under acceleration. I replaced the trans fluid and there was some flakes of metal on the magnet but that hasn't helped.

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2020-07-19 16:10:59

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4536

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

Are you sure it's not coming from the rear?  Have you changed the diff fluid?


A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

Offline

 

#3 2020-07-19 16:13:52

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

lizzardo wrote:

Are you sure it's not coming from the rear?  Have you changed the diff fluid?

I haven't changed the fluid. It still makes the noise in neutral so I'm pretty sure it's something transmission.

Offline

 

#4 2020-07-20 00:46:14

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
From: San Antonio, Texas
Registered: 2011-07-31
User Number: 5779
Posts: 2596

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

So... it makes noise when the transmission isn't doing anything leading you think it's the transmission...  sly


2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

Offline

 

#5 2020-07-20 02:11:59

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

So... it makes noise when the transmission isn't doing anything leading you think it's the transmission...  sly

That's exactly what I thought, but my dad says it couldn't be the diff. Also when you disengage the clutch or decelerate, the noise goes away.

Offline

 

#6 2020-07-20 09:58:00

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4536

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

There's plenty in there that spins in neutral when the car isn't moving.  If depressing the clutch makes the sound go away it's in the gearbox.  That's something you should have noted initially.  Without that information, it sounded like like the diff was a likely culprit.


A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

Offline

 

#7 2020-07-20 13:40:18

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

lizzardo wrote:

There's plenty in there that spins in neutral when the car isn't moving.  If depressing the clutch makes the sound go away it's in the gearbox.  That's something you should have noted initially.  Without that information, it sounded like like the diff was a likely culprit.

Okay, sorry for being so confusing, I'm searching for a trans now.

Offline

 

#8 2020-07-20 15:16:46

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
From: SF Bay Area, CA.
Registered: 2005-06-04
User Number: 158
Posts: 4536

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

Nolucknovember wrote:

lizzardo wrote:

There's plenty in there that spins in neutral when the car isn't moving.  If depressing the clutch makes the sound go away it's in the gearbox.  That's something you should have noted initially.  Without that information, it sounded like like the diff was a likely culprit.

Okay, sorry for being so confusing, I'm searching for a trans now.

Not confusing, but incomplete.  More information is helpful.  It sounded initially that it only made noise when moving.


A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

Offline

 

#9 2020-07-20 16:52:18

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

lizzardo wrote:

Nolucknovember wrote:

lizzardo wrote:

There's plenty in there that spins in neutral when the car isn't moving.  If depressing the clutch makes the sound go away it's in the gearbox.  That's something you should have noted initially.  Without that information, it sounded like like the diff was a likely culprit.

Okay, sorry for being so confusing, I'm searching for a trans now.

Not confusing, but incomplete.  More information is helpful.  It sounded initially that it only made noise when moving.

I'll go for a drive and record it. Thinking back I should have done that from the start.

Offline

 

#10 2020-07-20 17:05:52

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

Here's the video https://youtu.be/QrCTgtCajss

Offline

 

#11 2020-07-21 08:24:39

saabroo
Moderater
Registered: 2015-07-02
User Number: 31977
Posts: 334

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

Sounds like prop shaft bearing (or  bearings the shaft is connected to) related noise. Jack up the car, crawl underneath and jiggle the shaft.

Last edited by saabroo (2020-07-21 08:27:46)


2019 Audi A4 Quattro
2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant
2005 Saab 9-2x 4EAT. SOLD
2010 Camaro V8 2SS/RS 6MT with Maggie. 513whp, 480tq. SOLD

Offline

 

#12 2020-07-22 00:25:02

Nolucknovember
Member
Registered: 2020-07-19
User Number: 46963
Posts: 9

Re: Grinding sounds coming from the transmission in high gear

I'm pretty sure this is the problem https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth … ?t=2293043
The car was idled a lot before I got it.

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.