saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-10-09 00:14:44

Chunkymarcus
User Number: 46651

Looking at an 05 Aero, what issues should I look out for?

Hey all, I’m new here and would appreciate some advice. I currently own a 05 Linear with 144k miles. I bought this car a few months ago for $3,500 and I love it! I was naturally more gravitated to the Aero model, however I had no luck finding one in my price range. I finally found an Aero with an automatic transmission, semi near my home with 160k miles and looks in great shape. Private seller asking for $3,600. What are some potential trouble areas I should be wary of with this car? Seller says some recent work includes:
- OEM timing belt and water pump kit installed
- Rt. and Lt. front axels
- Both rear struts
And that the tires and brakes are in good condition. What questions should I ask? And what should I look for when I take a look at the vehicle? I really hope it’s not too good to be true and that I’m driving my dream car in the near future! Thanks in advance.

Some pictures of the car:
https://images.craigslist.org/00B0B_hVG … 00x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00h0h_5K5 … 00x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00909_bZk … 00x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00Z0Z_7s7 … 00x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_fiC … 00x450.jpg

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2019-10-09 11:32:11

jixaw
User Number: 35856

Re: Looking at an 05 Aero, what issues should I look out for?

first and foremost... shock towers... if the car spent ANY time where salt was used on the roads the shock towers will be rusted..im sure you have seen all the posts here and on the subaru forums for all wagons 02-07 ...just a question of how bad

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#3 2019-10-09 14:15:10

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

arrow-up While it is a potential issue on ALL 02-07 Impreza and 9-2x wagons, this doesn't mean there will be rust. Salt belt cars get the worst of it.

Look at the red Aero for sale on this site. It lived in salt-free areas and was clearly meticulously cared for. There is ZERO rust on that car. 
https://www.saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?id=86294 diamond

To the OP - that car would be the best $6900 you could spend on a 9-2x Aero. Forget the automatic-transmission cars.

As far as other things to look out for:
- Rear quarter panel rust at the fender corners
- Brake line rust, especially at the rear 4-way junction under the RH seat cushion
- RH front inner CV axle boot is cooked by the exhaust and splits
- cloth interior made of E-Z Stain (TM) material
- Clearcoat fade on hood scoop, spoiler, door handles, and trunklid 'garnish'
- damaged body parts no longer available new: hood, hood scoop, front fenders, side skirts, tailgate, front bumper cover and grille assembly, rear bumper cover, headlights and taillights
- center differential damage (clunking when turning felt in the transmission, not the steering wheel)

Otherwise, it's by far the most reliable Saab ever made, and they hold together pretty well.

Last edited by krazykarguy (2019-10-09 14:22:44)

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#4 2019-10-09 16:18:43

slowautoxr
User Number: 46537
Website

I'll add head gaskets.  If there are any overheating issues, than head gaskets can be the cause.  This is an engine out procedure.  Mine are currently being replaced and it only has 68k on it.

Mine is an automatic as well.  The transmission really sucks the life out of the turbo - so don't expect it to be anything more than adequate.  I've been told a TBE and a stage 2 tune corrects this.  That's in the works for mine.

Right side valve covers are prone to leaking oil onto the exhaust.

Charles
2005 Aero

#5 2019-10-09 18:56:58

Chunkymarcus
User Number: 46651

Thanks for the advice everyone. The seller said the strut towers are clear of rust but I’m having him send some pics for me. Krazycarguy, thanks for the checklist, I’ll definitely be using that when I go check out the car. And as far as the Red Aero goes, I wish I had the money but just don’t right now hmm. I came across that listing yesterday and my gf said she would drive that car and love it. Idk what would be better, owning and driving that car myself or being the guy who dates a girl that drives that car lol. And slowautoxr, would I be able to detect a head gasket issue when meeting the seller and test driving you think? I guess I mean, will the car always overheat if the headgaskets are bad? Sorry if that’s a noobish question. Thanks again everyone!
I’m not a car guy by any means but I’m looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone on this forum.

#6 2019-10-10 09:12:42

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

I forgot about the valve cover gaskets - they are a common failure and leak oil profusely when they fail. All cars have this issue.

Head gaskets are not a huge issue on the EJ20T that the 2005 9-2x Aero has. I wouldn't consider this an issue to look out for.

Head gaskets also fail in tow modes:
1.) cooling side failure - coolant leaking into combustion chambers. Can be checked by testing the coolant for exhaust gas present, or by bubbling in the coolant reservoir with the engine running.
or;
2.) oil side failure - oil leaking past gaskets and leaking between the head and the block. Typically seen by oil in the area of the gasket. Less of a problem, but still requires replacement of the gaskets.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#7 2019-10-10 09:27:45

slowautoxr
User Number: 46537
Website

I bought my 66k mile car that the owner told me had a head gasket issue.  Initial diagnosis did not reveal this though.  I put 2k more miles on it doing further diagnosis and the confirming it before getting it fixed.  The only time it got warmer than normal (up to the 2/3 mark) was after driving on the interstate and then driving in town.  In my case, the head gasket was leaking between the combustion chamber and the cooling system.  When it started sucking water into the cylinder and causing misfires, I brought it to a friend to get fixed.

One of the telltales was observing bubbles coming from the hose in the expansion tank.

Charles
2005 Aero

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.