saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2019-06-02 17:36:24

I'mSaabing
User Number: 46463

Low-dollar 92x right for me?

I just graduated college, and I'm looking to get a DD so I can start doing some major work on my C4 Corvette. I want something practical but fun, so a hatch is the obvious choice. I'm considering a few different models (to name a few: IS300 SportCross, Legacy GT, and obviously the 92X Aero), and I think it's just going to come down to which I can find for a good price.

To be honest, the IS300 was at the top of my list for a couple of reasons:
• I'm a little wary of headgasket/ring issues with a boxer engine.
• While I love the boxer rumble, I think I want something sounding a little more "refined" than my Corvette.
• I'd like to tinker with my DD eventually, and the 2JZ could support more power a lot more comfortably than the EJ205.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the WRX/Saabaru, and I love that it has AWD.

I'm budgeting $6k for purchasing my DD and another few thousand for immediate repairs/maintenance (I'll be driving this car across across the US at the end of the summer). The particular example I'm looking at, like my Corvette, isn't perfect.

It's a 2005 92x Aero with the automatic transmission and 170k miles on it. It has significant damage to the rear right quarter panel, and the driver's seat (leather) is very torn up. Other than that, though, it seems to have been well-maintained, and it hasn't been modded other than a cat-back.

I'm finding rear quarter panels in the range of $300-$350 from wrecking yards, and I think $500 is a generous estimate to have the panel painted to match. I have absolutely no idea what the seat would run me, but I imagine that would be in the $500 range, especially if I did the labor myself. The car is advertised for $3750, and adding in repairs only brings it to about $5k, which seems a good price.

What do you think? Is there anything I need to be wary of?

I'd also love to hear your thoughts on whether the 92x is right for me.

Last edited by I'mSaabing (2019-06-02 17:44:21)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2019-06-02 21:39:08

TrailerParkNinja
User Number: 32504

Re: Low-dollar 92x right for me?

Honestly 5k (purchase price and repairs) for the 9-2x you are looking at does not seem too low-dollar to me.  Now, I know depending on your location that could influence the asking price.

Try using searchtempest.com to get a good understanding of what your area is demanding for a 9-2x.

If your are looking at a vehicle that has spent any amount of time in the Midwest or East coast look for rust.  Search on here and or Google for rear strut tower rust.

Not to cause any hard feelings to the seller of that 9-2x but with your budget I think you can do better with less up front work needed.  If you wanna tinker and attempt to save a 9-2x to keep her on the road go for it!

I think the 9-2x is a kick in the pants.  Most mods come inexpensive and easy being a WRX engine / drivetrain.

#3 2019-06-03 09:34:02

Disturbance
User Number: 7311

Any 02-07 Subaru wagon that has quarter panel rust probably has terrible strut towers. Be careful. Even without, if it's a northern car it's something to be aware of and addressed.

'05 Red Aero

#4 2019-06-06 17:49:28

I'mSaabing
User Number: 46463

Thanks for the responses guys. Sorry for the delay in replying, I was thinking I'd get email notifications for my thread.

TrailerParkNinja wrote:

Honestly 5k (purchase price and repairs) for the 9-2x you are looking at does not seem too low-dollar to me.  Now, I know depending on your location that could influence the asking price.

Try using searchtempest.com to get a good understanding of what your area is demanding for a 9-2x.

If your are looking at a vehicle that has spent any amount of time in the Midwest or East coast look for rust.  Search on here and or Google for rear strut tower rust.

Not to cause any hard feelings to the seller of that 9-2x but with your budget I think you can do better with less up front work needed.  If you wanna tinker and attempt to save a 9-2x to keep her on the road go for it!

I think the 9-2x is a kick in the pants.  Most mods come inexpensive and easy being a WRX engine / drivetrain.

They're a bit pricier on the West Coast.
$6500, 115k mi - salvage title: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ … 67453.html
$5000, 136k mi - quick-release steering wheel, guessing it's been beat on: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ … 03568.html
$9000, 114k mi - "built", but doesn't list mods; and front bumper, rocker panels, and interior aren't in great shape: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ … 05254.html
$4400, 210k mi - different color hatch, possibly rear-ended: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ … 93513.html
$4450, 154k mi - scraped front bumper, large blemish on the hatch: https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/cto … 74970.html

It seems like $3750 for one with a few issues isn't a bad deal out here. And other than the seat and the quarter panel, it looks to be in great shape. Are there any 9-2x specific issues I should look for if I go take a look in person?

Disturbance wrote:

Any 02-07 Subaru wagon that has quarter panel rust probably has terrible strut towers. Be careful. Even without, if it's a northern car it's something to be aware of and addressed.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm specifically buying my DD on the west coast so I can avoid rust.

#5 2019-06-07 08:17:11

saabroo
Moderater
User Number: 31977

The last car (#5) is a non-turbo Linear while the rest are Aero's.

Normally I don't like to buy modded cars, but of all those I'd look at #2 and put find an airbag steering wheel back in after purchase.

I'd offer the guy $3k and negotiate to buy at 3.75-4k

2019 Audi A4 Quattro
2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant
2005 Saab 9-2x 4EAT. SOLD
2010 Camaro V8 2SS/RS 6MT with Maggie. 513whp, 480tq. SOLD

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.