saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Car Talk
  •  » 2012 Mazda 6i Touring - thoughts and advice??

#1 2018-06-15 12:21:18

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

2012 Mazda 6i Touring - thoughts and advice??

Hi all -

I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with the 2009-2013 Mazda 6 with the 4 cylinder motor and the automatic transmission. My mother-in-law just bought one (brokered through me, 900 miles away) to replace a 2002 Hyundai Elantra that was given a terminal structural rust diagnosis. It's quite a step up from that car (in size and equipment), but still what I would consider basic transportation.

The car she got has 168k, but was religiously maintained by what I am assuming was a traveling salesperson with an expense account to do just that. It got an oil change at almost the same dealership every 3k miles. The car is pretty clean outside and under the hood. It has new front brakes, windshield, and Kumho tires. Clean title and CarFax, too!

The interior has been 'cleaned', but a couple of hours this weekend will have it sparkly clean. It was owned by a woman previously, who was clearly a pig and lived in the car.

So far, I've had to drill out a broken license plate bolt and tap the hole to mount the tag, but otherwise, haven't done anything. The serpentine belt is cracked in the ribbing and will get replaced this weekend, and the overhead console/map light/sunglass cubby is busted to shit (eventually will replace with new). The driver's wiper was also comically small - an 18" in place of the proper 24" blade, I'll do that too.

Does anyone have any advice on these cars and what to be on the lookout for?

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2018-06-15 21:37:51

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

Re: 2012 Mazda 6i Touring - thoughts and advice??

No real advice from me, but I'll say it sounds like a good score.  My '91 all-original Miata agrees.  Those cars fall into what I refer to as "transportation appliances."  I don't mean that as a negative, but as "with my toaster, I put in bread and I get toast."  With something like this, you put in gas (OK, oil and tires too) and you get transportation.  I don't know if there is anything to be expected on the automatic transmission, but I'm sure a little poking around on the goog' will provide information.

When I had a shop there were cars I hated, simply because the drivers were pigs.  Cleaning cola out of the ignition switch on a classic Saab, and dealing with archaeological-grade french fries under the seats?  Yuck. 

Clean CarFax isn't as useful as you might think.  My F-Type has a clean CarFax, but had a little reconstructive surgery on her hind-quarters.  If no one reports it, it's as if it never happened.  Although, on reflection, if a Mazda 6 had been hit, the body shop would probably not have done quite the factory-quality finish as my 9 month old Jaguar did.  You've been around enough.  If there were body repairs, I'm sure you'd spot the difference in in paint texture.

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

#3 2018-06-18 10:54:29

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

I know that CarFax is not the gold standard everyone thinks it is. This car shows no indication or evidence of a hard hit or a bad repair. The only CarFax ding this one has is a minor sideswipe accident where the car was driven away. The side of the car that was indicated as having been hit has been repainted, but in the same shade of metallic red and clearcoated to match the rest of the existing clearcoat gloss. It's a VERY professional repair, especially considering that repainting the entire side of a car has to be pretty close to the value of a 150k mile Mazda 6, so most definitely an insurance job.

Any ways, for those of you who are FB friends, you've seen what I've been doing to it so far, which includes:
- polishing the haze off both headlights with a 3M kit - they look new now.
- interior disassembly and cleaning (the center console was clearly the victim of many beverage spills, and had to come apart to clean it)
- some minor upholstery stitching to repair some split seams on the back seat

it's worth noting that this car was a trade-in at the dealer it was maintained at, so they detailed it and put it on their used car lot for about a month before sending it to auction. This is probably why it looks as clean as it does - although not up to my high standards of cleanliness.

I scored a used set of rear-only OEM floormats from eBay (the fronts are oddly still with the car) for $12. I'm sure it will cost about that to ship them, so basically free. The LH wiper was 18" when it needed to be 24", so that was also corrected, along with the wonky too-low angle the windshield guy rebolted the LH wiper arm when the windshield was replaced.

I drove the car this weekend for some errands, and the A/C had no issue keeping up with the 95-100 degree heat we are experiencing right now. It does sound like one of the front wheel bearings is on it's way out, but since it's a press-in bearing, I'll let my MiL deal with that when the time comes. Otherwise, the car runs, drives, stops, and goes like any other rental car I've ever driven - just with 130k more miles.

I also have a neighbor who works at a local salvage yard trying to find a used overhead console/map light/sunglass holder. The one on this car was missing the light switch and the sunglass holder all together. When I tried to remove it from the ceiling, the plastic housing broke in three separate places, so it's trash. The plastic is BY FAR the most brittle I've ever encountered in a car. This is the only item I need to make the interior complete.

Other items I need are a couple of plastic air dams under the nose of the car and a new rearview mirror - these three items should be less than $60 from Mazda. I will change the belt either tonight or Wednesday - it looks like it might be a little bit of a PITA.

Last edited by krazykarguy (2018-06-18 10:58:10)

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#4 2018-06-18 12:42:56

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

Nice to hear that the bodywork was high quality.  Too much I see is not.

It sounds like it's shaping up and should give good service.

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

• Home
  •  » Car Talk
  •  » 2012 Mazda 6i Touring - thoughts and advice??

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.