saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2018-03-11 21:19:19

Aero WaSAABi
User Number: 45000

Aero "build" suggestions

I want to give you some info on the car in question first...

I bought a 2005 9-2x Aero A/T for cheap ($1500) knowing it had some issues just as a winter beater and a secondary car to my Lexus IS300. Brakes, Steering pump, Valve cover gaskets, Oil filler neck damage, minor cosmetic damage, new tires. most of these have been resolved for fairly cheap (around $1200 tires being most of it)

Now the car like most used 92x/WRX has aftermarket modifications and this is where i need a little help. This is my first Subaru/EJ20 motor and I am not all that familiar with the boxer engines when it comes to aftermarket modifications.

The mods on this particular car were done by the shop i bought it from (hence why i pulled the trigger on the purchase), but really you would have thought a 12 year old had done the mods. The car was really rough, but i think i ironed out some problems. Now for the  mod issues.

Cold Air Intake: The prev owner installed a APS CAI but when I was sorting out the air filter, I noticed that the air filter was crushed against the fender and there was about a .25" gap that wasn't sealing (my engine most likely now has a ton of sand in it  mad ) Well after doing some searching I found that the APS is one of the highly rated CAI, but the filter is like $90. I wasn't confident on buying the filter as the original fitment was very poor. So yeah I cheaped out and went the Ebay route. Got a cold Air intake and its mounted in the car. It threw a code but after a battery reset, code hasnt come back. Note: was trying to revert back to stock, but OEM parts are way too expensive since I would need the complete assembly. None on ebay at the time.

Exhaust: The exhaust is literally a single pipe from the downpipe to a cherry bomb muffler made custom by the shop. This is extremely loud and my wife hates it so much, she refuses to drive the car. The prev owner also gave me a downpipe which they never installed on the car. I want to replace the exhaust for a quieter one, but still want a little rumble, just a little more quiet from 1k - 4k rpm. I was thinking of doing an STI replica cheapo exhaust like the Manzo USA one which sells for around $200.

Cobb APv2: The car also had a Cobb APv2 along with it. I havent messed with this at all, but I think there is the stock tune on the car now.  Ive been reading the forum and looks like most run stage 1 or stage 2. Its in the car and I like to have fun, so I wouldn't mind running either.

Now with all the info given, am I moving in the right direction? I have a shop close by that can Protune on a dyno for $500, but Im on disability now and I can maybe put $100/mo aside for extra projects so this is a stretch. I wanted to know a few things first before I spent this money...

1. Should I install the downpipe that was given to me, is it worth it? ( Looking to get a little less sound and I have been reading DP + Intake + Exhaust = VERY LOUD no matter what exhaust you have on it )
2. Does anyone have the Manzo exhaust that could attest to the sound and quality? Any recommendations on a very cheap <$200 slightly quiet exhaust?
3. Is the Cobb Maps either Stage 1 or Stage 2 good on this car with the mods I have already? A LOT of people say the Cobb stage 2 is a sweet spot for this car. I am assuming that I would need to install the DP for stage 2.
4. How reliable would the Cobb map be vs a Protune. Im not trying to break the bank here and honestly I have $0 to spend on this in the first place. Im trying to work with what I have, but occasionally fixing a few things along the way.

Side question: I have taken the APS off and plan on selling it locally on CL, what would be a fair price? The red paint is beat up in a few places where it was hitting the fender, but no dents in the pipe. Also what would a DP sell for if I didn't use it?

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2018-03-12 12:25:05

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Re: Aero "build" suggestions

Aero WaSAABi wrote:

1. Should I install the downpipe that was given to me, is it worth it? ( Looking to get a little less sound and I have been reading DP + Intake + Exhaust = VERY LOUD no matter what exhaust you have on it )
2. Does anyone have the Manzo exhaust that could attest to the sound and quality? Any recommendations on a very cheap <$200 slightly quiet exhaust?
3. Is the Cobb Maps either Stage 1 or Stage 2 good on this car with the mods I have already? A LOT of people say the Cobb stage 2 is a sweet spot for this car. I am assuming that I would need to install the DP for stage 2.
4. How reliable would the Cobb map be vs a Protune. Im not trying to break the bank here and honestly I have $0 to spend on this in the first place. Im trying to work with what I have, but occasionally fixing a few things along the way.

Side question: I have taken the APS off and plan on selling it locally on CL, what would be a fair price? The red paint is beat up in a few places where it was hitting the fender, but no dents in the pipe. Also what would a DP sell for if I didn't use it?

1. yes, install the downpipe and use the accessport to flash the ECU to the stage 2 tune. If you have a downpipe and the stock or STI exhaust it will be perfectly wife friendly. The catback exhaust impacts the exhaust sound in the biggest way, if you have a quiet muffler on there it won't be too bad even with an aftermarkte downpipe. Obviously with an intake it's a little louder as well - I'd recommend the stock intake if you can find the parts at a recycler or something
2. Many recommend the STI axleback if you want a quieter sound. There are some aftermarket catbacks which are quieter as well, I think MadDad may be a quiet(ish) one.
3. Stage 1= reflash with stock parts, you can do that right now. Stage 2= NEED an aftermarket downpipe. Catback is a plus, intake is optional.
4. I trust Cobb's map more than I do protunes. Many on this forum ran Cobb's stage 2 maps on their cars without problems (myself included). I'm selling my car right now but I had it stage 2 for the last 60k miles or so with no problems from that. Conservative protunes sure, but people get into trouble with protunes when they chase higher numbers on a dyno. Then things start breaking.

If you have zero to spend as you mention, use the downpipe and AP you have to go to stage 2, sell the aftermarket intakes, and get a stock airbox & catback if you're after something quieter.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

#3 2018-03-12 16:20:58

Aero WaSAABi
User Number: 45000

Re: Aero "build" suggestions

Ya the intake seems to be the biggest problem with the setup I have. I took the car out today for a quick putt around town and man that thing is so loud with the intake and exhaust that I hate punching it. The problem with trying to find the intake parts is that I would need all the brackets and mounting hardware as the prev owner gutted everything and left me with nothing but essentially a red APS pipe.  neutral

What do you think the APS pipe is worth? I found an ebay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-07-Subaru-W … mp;vxp=mtr that has the filter attached for $170. Mine is a little worse condition on the paint and no filter. I was thinking maybe $100, is this a fair price?

For the downpipe, I see that it is straight though design without a cat. What kind of CEL will this throw? Would i need to cap and spoof the O2 sensors? Will the cobb stage 2 account for this?

Thanks!

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.