saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2017-11-08 10:06:28

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

Re: The Upgrade (aka Buy it for life)

itsnotmeitsyou wrote:

Just https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/

Well yeah, but that's full of a bunch of redditors...

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2017-11-08 10:46:21

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

http://buythisonce.com/

Not sure how credible this is, but in the same vein.

#28 2017-11-08 11:00:59

snowphun
User Number: 890

I've got another one: office chairs. I've had a bunch over the years, they always fall apart. Started paying attention to chairs in offices and settled on a Herman Miller Aeron. They're big money new but a surprising number on Craigslist, was able to get one for about $300. Awesome, super adjustable, stays adjusted, looks great.

#29 2017-11-08 12:15:12

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

snowphun wrote:

I've got another one: office chairs. I've had a bunch over the years, they always fall apart. Started paying attention to chairs in offices and settled on a Herman Miller Aeron. They're big money new but a surprising number on Craigslist, was able to get one for about $300. Awesome, super adjustable, stays adjusted, looks great.

Hm, that's actually a good suggestion. My desk setup at home in general is not nearly as ergo-friendly as what I have at work. I find myself annoyed with the setup by the end of the day, and then I don't work from home for another week or two, forget about how annoying it is, work from home, and then hate it all over again. haha.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

#30 2017-11-08 12:32:21

drewsro
Master
User Number: 13600

krazykarguy wrote:

Asics Nimbus running shoes are my go-to casual/walking sneakers. Since I worked in the footwear department of a Dick's Sporting Goods, I have worn Asics shoes. By far the best for cushion and support, and they have a running shoe to fit any foot shape.

I have waffled between the Kayano and the Nimbus for years, and they seem to last longer (cushioning-wise) than anything else around. Before you tell me that these are completely different support types, I already know.

Sneakers are never 'buy-it-for-life', but this brand seems to last longer than any other. They are not cheap, however - I recommend buying the 1-2 generation older ones at a outlet mall or online, rather than the newest ones. Kayano 24s are pushing $170 now, and the Nimbus 19 is $150-$160. They're great shoes, but not $150 great...

I've got the Asics GT-2000 2 and have had them for a few years now.  I don't run a ton but they still are in great shape and can probably last a while yet

2005 9-2x Aero 5MT- Stage 2
2016 VW GTI S 6MT
Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

#31 2017-11-08 12:40:11

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

The GT-2000 series shoes are great as well. If you want a great pair of sneakers (for running, lounging, or something that involves a lot of walking), check out Asics.

Kayano/GT-2000 series for serious structure (feet roll inwards)
Nimbus for serious cushioning (neutral gait)
Cumulus/GT-1000 series for structure/less cushion (feet roll outwards)

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#32 2017-11-08 12:45:45

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

snowphun wrote:

The move there is to find an office equipment liquidator in town.  They regularly get the remnants of some failed startup or company, you can get good Aeron chairs at firesale prices.  I got mine for ~$100.  Since they are so sturdy and durable, used ones are fine.  Also, they come in three sizes, there are embossed dimples at the top of the back of the chair, under the rolled over part, 1 dot is smallest, 3 dots are biggest.

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#33 2017-11-08 13:10:24

drewsro
Master

krazykarguy wrote:

The GT-2000 series shoes are great as well. If you want a great pair of sneakers (for running, lounging, or something that involves a lot of walking), check out Asics.

Kayano/GT-2000 series for serious structure (feet roll inwards)
Nimbus for serious cushioning (neutral gait)
Cumulus/GT-1000 series for structure/less cushion (feet roll outwards)

I was recommended the GT-2000 since I have overpronation when I walk/run.  Never had issues with my feet hurting after I got these.

2016 VW GTI S 6MT

#34 2017-11-08 13:27:37

ERP
User Number: 6585

MorganH wrote:

Non-stick pans you buy once... seriously... CAST IRON pans....  banana

+1

I've changed over all my pots and pans to Le Creuset. They are expensive but last forever if treated well. My parents are still using some that are older than I am. Also, they work great on an induction stove. Stamped steel pans, regardless of quality, do not work as well for induction cook tops.

A few other products I'll add to the list:
Dyson vacuum cleaners. Expensive, but work great for years.

Kitchen knives. Don't buy the 15 piece set in a cheap wood block, you only need 3. Buy a good, comfortable 6-8" chefs knife (edit: didn't mean to capitalize Chefs, I meant to refer to a style of knife, not a brand) and a paring knife. And learn how to sharpen them with a flat stone!! I hone mine twice a week and fine wet sharpen every month or two. Hand wash so the high temps of the dishwasher doesn't ruin the handle. You'll also need a bread knife, but I've found even the cheap ones last a long time.

Lawn mowers, like the vacuum cleaners, are used sporadically. You want a quality one which always starts and runs smoothly. I've switch to a battery powered push mower, which has been great.

Finally, women's purses. When we first met, my wife was going though purses every 6-12 months. The straps or zippers would break and the corners would wear incredibly fast. We'd head to Target of the mall and buy another $30-$50 purse which would get thrown out less than a year later. I now buy her Dooney and Bourke purses. They can take an awful lot of abuse and still look good. In 10 years she is only on her second purse, and it has a few years left.

Last edited by ERP (2017-11-08 16:17:29)

2015 Tesla P85D - 11.59 @115 mph
2015 BMW M4 Convertible - Manual
2008 Turbo X 20T JZW Stg 5: 415 hp+, 532 tq+
2006 Lotus Elise - Supercharged, 6.3 lbs/hp, 1.55 lateral G's on street tires

#35 2017-11-08 13:29:34

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

snowphun wrote:

I picked up a steelcase chair on CL a few years back for a few hundo- leather seat, fabric back but not trouser ripping like the Aeron I had while at GM. I liked the Aeron (other than the trouser ripping), but I LOVE the Steelcase. So much better than the Office Depot / IKEA specials most of the companies I have worked for provide. If only I could convince my boss to let me work from home...

le sigh

#36 2017-11-08 13:35:59

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

I've had a Herman Miller Embody chair since 2014.  Got it as a gift for myself when I landed my current contract job (first six figure while CONUS!).  It's good for my back and posture but a headrest would make it perfect.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

#37 2017-11-08 13:49:45

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

ERP wrote:

MorganH wrote:

+1

I've changed over all my pots and pans to Le Creuset. They are expensive but last forever if treated well. My parents are still using some that are older than I am. Also, they work great on an induction stove. Stamped steel pans, regardless of quality, do not work as well for induction cook tops.

Kitchen knives. Don't buy the 15 piece set in a cheap wood block, you only need 3. Buy a good, comfortable 6-8" Chefs knife and a paring knife. And learn how to sharpen them with a flat stone!! I hone mine twice a week and fine wet sharpen every month or two. Hand wash so the high temps of the dishwasher doesn't ruin the handle. You'll also need a bread knife, but I've found even the cheap ones last a long time.

Lawn mowers, like the vacuum cleaners, are used sporadically. You want a quality one which always starts and runs smoothly. I've switch to a battery powered push mower, which has been great.

Finally, women's purses. When we first met, my wife was going though purses every 6-12 months. The straps or zippers would break and the corners would wear incredibly fast. We'd head to Target of the mall and buy another $30-$50 purse which would get thrown out less than a year later. I now buy her Dooney and Bourke purses. They can take an awful lot of abuse and still look good. In 10 years she is only on her second purse, and it has a few years left.

These are good ones.  We've got a Dyson Ball that I quite like, no guff from it yet.  I think a knife upgrade is in my future.  I personally like the santoku vs. the chefs knife (I have both, just use the santoku way more).  Still on the same mower I bought 8 years ago, when it gets retired I'll go battery powered.

On the purse/bag topic, I really like Timbuk2, mostly their simpler and classic stuff.  I have a messenger and a laptop bag, as does the wife.  We got her smaller one at a second hand sporting goods store at the end of summer, it was a steal, <$10.  They had a bunch of other Timbuk2's there as well, if I could justify another I'd have bought one.  Even used they were in fine shape.

#38 2017-11-08 14:06:23

hammyt
0_0
Supporter
User Number: 562

Not an iPhone X apparently...

But headphones are the most recent example of this in my life.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT | 275whp/250wtq | [email protected] | SOLD
2014 Focus ST 6MT | Tuxedo Black | SOLD
2012 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.0 AT | Shiny Blue

#39 2017-11-08 14:41:42

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

ERP wrote:

I need to give a shout out to Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines, they seem to get a lot of hate, especially from people who switched to hondas.  But I bought mine in 1993, have drained the fuel tank and oil, changed the airfilter, and changed the spark plug every fall before putting it away, and it starts on the first or second pull every spring, once the fluids are replaced.  I'd love to go electric, but this fucker won't die...

#40 2017-11-08 14:44:17

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

n_r_child wrote:

not trouser ripping like the Aeron I had while at GM.

I had one of those too!  It ate Dockers like a cheese grater.  They were recalled for that defect, mine got replaced with a chair with much more pants-friendly mesh

#41 2017-11-08 14:56:02

jon_s
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 186

My Aeron has never harmed my trousers. Its a great, solid, quiet work chair. It cost my office account ~$555 new in 2014.

#42 2017-11-08 15:27:03

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

hammyt wrote:

What headphones do you recommend? I had a set that lasted me prob 10 years until the fleather started peeling off so whenever I wore them I would have little black specks to brush off from around my ears. Bought some Skull Candy from best buy a couple years back that looked decent but already had to toss them for that same issue. Need to invest in a good set w/ legit leather that will last longer.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

#43 2017-11-08 15:32:35

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

ERP wrote:

MorganH wrote:

+1

Kitchen knives. Don't buy the 15 piece set in a cheap wood block, you only need 3. Buy a good, comfortable 6-8" Chefs knife and a paring knife. And learn how to sharpen them with a flat stone!! I hone mine twice a week and fine wet sharpen every month or two. Hand wash so the high temps of the dishwasher doesn't ruin the handle. You'll also need a bread knife, but I've found even the cheap ones last a long time.

ERP, I got a free Craftsman push mower when we bought the house, and I can tell it's about to bite it next year.  What brand battery mower do you have and how do you like it?

I baby my Henkle knives, but I find I only need to sharpen them once or twice a year despite cooking 5 or 6 nights a week.  I also like having a long serrated bread knife and I use the serrated utility a lot too.

I can't speak highly enough of my Makita cordless drill/ impact set.  Batteries also swap into my weed trimmer.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#44 2017-11-08 16:05:40

drewsro
Master

ikbrown wrote:

hammyt wrote:

What headphones do you recommend? I had a set that lasted me prob 10 years until the fleather started peeling off so whenever I wore them I would have little black specks to brush off from around my ears. Bought some Skull Candy from best buy a couple years back that looked decent but already had to toss them for that same issue. Need to invest in a good set w/ legit leather that will last longer.

I bought a cheap set from Best Buy some year back now.  Maybe 7 years ago?  They are Philips O'Niell The Stretch: https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHO9560- … 003VNKKUS.  They obviously no longer make them, but they have been one of the comfiest headphones and are actually pretty solid.  I've snowboarded with them before, wore them when cutting the grass, and used them for a lot of other things.  The padding is still solid and hasn't shown any signs of wear.  I paid maybe like $70 for them.

2016 VW GTI S 6MT

#45 2017-11-08 16:09:11

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

ikbrown wrote:

hammyt wrote:

The audiophile path is paved with good intentions...

You can often replace ear pads, so you might look into that rather than toss the headphones. In fact, there is a whole subculture devoted to pad- and tip-rolling, whereby users try to mod the stock sound of the headphone (trickier than with cars, due to significant variance in ear geometry as well as personal preference).

For recommendations, it'll be helpful to know if you use them on the go, at your desk, in a loud environment, need to be able to hear others or want the isolation, whether you prefer in ear, on ear or over ear (assuming based on the leather pad comments you are at least on ear), budget and styles of music you prefer (Skull Candy makes me think you like at least a little bass, and probably a "fun" sound signature rather than clinically accurate)

le sigh

#46 2017-11-08 16:19:38

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

racerjim wrote:

I need to give a shout out to Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engines, they seem to get a lot of hate, especially from people who switched to hondas.  But I bought mine in 1993, have drained the fuel tank and oil, changed the airfilter, and changed the spark plug every fall before putting it away, and it starts on the first or second pull every spring, once the fluids are replaced.  I'd love to go electric, but this fucker won't die...

My Husqvarna mower with a Briggs motor leaked from the valve cover from new, and smoked at every startup for the last couple of years... But it starts and runs every time. There is something to be said about a motor being stone simple...

I rescued a Briggs-equipped Ariens 824 snowblower that had literally been sitting in in a puddle under a stand of pine trees for years. I popped the carb off of it and it was completely varnished solid, but the engine still turned over and clearly had compression. I cleaned the carb, and got it started with some ether and a fresh tank of fuel. It was running like brand new for years, and I left it in the garage to the house I sold in VT in 2014. I'd bet it's still running.

However, back to the theme of this thread - many power equipment manufacturers have gone the way of making 'throwaway' machines... I'd gladly buy a used piece of power equipment from 20 years ago and refurbish it than buy something new.

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#47 2017-11-08 16:26:09

ERP
User Number: 6585

hyperboarder wrote:

I personally like the santoku vs. the chefs knife (I have both, just use the santoku way more)

I capitalized 'Chef' knife by accident. I was referring to a style of knife, not a specific brand. I use Dalstrong knifes. I believe knives are personal, the looks and feel of the knife in your hand is just as important as the blade quality. The primary kitchen knife should be handled before purchasing.

Pyromancy5 wrote:

ERP, I got a free Craftsman push mower when we bought the house, and I can tell it's about to bite it next year.  What brand battery mower do you have and how do you like it?

I baby my Henkle knives, but I find I only need to sharpen them once or twice a year despite cooking 5 or 6 nights a week.  I also like having a long serrated bread knife and I use the serrated utility a lot too.

I have a Greenworks 20" battery mower and like it a lot. It has the obvious advantages over gas in regards to liquids, complexity, weight and noise. The only downside is being bogged down in tall, thick grass as the battery gets low. I mow my lawn every two weeks in the summer. If I wanted to push that out to 3-4 weeks then I'll go through several battery charge cycles to make it through the tall grass.

In regards to knife sharpening, I know I sharpen often, but I only spend 3-5 minutes with the fine stone to bring back a razor edge. I like my knifes to cut through paper or tomato skins with only the weight of the knife.

Last edited by ERP (2017-11-08 16:45:37)

2015 Tesla P85D - 11.59 @115 mph
2015 BMW M4 Convertible - Manual
2008 Turbo X 20T JZW Stg 5: 415 hp+, 532 tq+
2006 Lotus Elise - Supercharged, 6.3 lbs/hp, 1.55 lateral G's on street tires

#48 2017-11-08 19:10:17

eurocoffee
rustmaster
User Number: 7218

Best damn belt ever. I've been rocking mine for the past 3 years and it looks, feels and holds like practically new.

This is my Saabaru. There are many like it, but this one is Mine!

#49 2017-11-08 19:41:26

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

Ah, yes, knives.  I've got a set I built up over time.  My good knives are Global.  The one that I use the most by far is a santoku with the hollow grinds on the blade (they have a name, but I can't remember it).  I'm not sure it's my perfect knife, but it's very good.  I touch it up with the Global diamond honing steel but have a variety of stones.  I learned sharpening from two different relatives, both the second generation before me.  My grandfather grew up on a farm and was a superb craftsman, my great uncle was a trapper and also raised mink for fur.  I could sharpen a cow pie it I needed to.  Using stones is a great skill to have but is fading out with mechanical doodads that don't fuck up your knives.  The old ones did.  I wouldn't use one of the vintage ones on anything nicer than a lawn mower blade.

I have tried to follow the "buy good stuff so you'll be happy with it" with camera equipment, but got thrown for a loop with the digital revolution.  Two years ago I finally upgraded my DX format DSLR to FX and am excited about photography again.  At least all my old lenses work (except the DX-only ones I got with the DX camera).

I just thought of another item.  I used charcoal for decades but decided to go with propane because I grill for big family gatherings a lot.   alot

I did a lot ( alot ) of research and got a Weber.  It's not the fancy-schmancy stainless one, but the quality is good and the heat is even, whether I have it high or low.  It's the low heat evenness where many that brag about massive BTUs fall short.

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

#50 2017-11-08 21:48:56

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

ERP wrote:

hyperboarder wrote:

I personally like the santoku vs. the chefs knife (I have both, just use the santoku way more)

I capitalized 'Chef' knife by accident. I was referring to a style of knife, not a specific brand. I use Dalstrong knifes. I believe knives are personal, the looks and feel of the knife in your hand is just as important as the blade quality. The primary kitchen knife should be handled before purchasing.

Santoku is a style as well, not a brand.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.