saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2017-11-07 09:51:52

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

The Upgrade (aka Buy it for life)

I've recently started to get fed up with shitty products that wear out way too fast and opted to replace them with quality products that are in it for the long haul.  Yesterday's example is cookware, I've been going through T-Fal nonstick skillets in about 18 months (they always seem to warp early and eventually the coating starts coming off, despite never having been used above medium-high heat).  Said fuck it, bought a full Cuisinart stainless set for a few hundred and chucked all the old stuff in the garbage.  Did the same last year with some decent Travelpro luggage for work travel, bye bye shitty roller bags.  Feels good man.

Right now I'm getting to that point with belts, specifically work belts.  I've been going with the $15-20 bonded leather belts from TJ Maxx for years, and this last one is already coming apart after less than a year, so I'm done with them.  Looking at something like the Grip6 or maybe a decent ratcheting one.  Might pick up a Duluth Lifetime belt for jeans as well in the same spirit.  If you've got work belt recommendations, send em over.

Interested what other people have done this with.  I'm at a point where I'd much rather buy once and forget about it.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2017-11-07 10:07:13

lizzardo
Sooper Genius
Supporter
User Number: 158

Re: The Upgrade (aka Buy it for life)

I understand completely. 

I'm that way with tools, but I used to have a repair shop, so they were literally the tools of my trade.  I still have my Snap-On wrenches, screwdrivers, torque wrenches, etc.  I bought most in the 80s and only use them occasionally now, but when I do I say to myself "I'm glad I still have my good tools."

My favorite skillet is a stainless Cuisinart that's maybe 30 years old.  The non-stick is an All-Clad.

I haven't done much woodworking but have a few tools.  I recently got some decent but not top-notch chisels and told myself that if I use any enough that they need replacing, they'll get replaced with really good ones.

For motorcycle safety gear, I've been using the Good Stuff for years.  Even the good stuff wears out, but if that sort of thing irritates when when I use it, it goes.

A Real Saab and a LeMONS Saab - 1978 99 Turbo and 1979 900 Turbo
A non-SAAB - MV F4 312R - Once, the most mental bike ever made
Jaguar F-Type V6s w/6MT - commuter | 1991 Miata w/Hard top - toy
2005 9-2X Linear --> sold | Volvo C30 R-Design 6MT --> sold

#3 2017-11-07 10:17:13

KDUB
User Number: 2578

Cookware is a big one, looks like you already started to step in the right direction there...I have always been a Calphalon fan, I have used a quality Calphalon set for over 10 years, still going strong.

Electronics, especially audio, is a big one too. I have a 25 year old Denon Stereo receiver (Denon has much more recently started to add a "budget line") that outperforms most stuff under $750 on the market today, still going strong. I use some 15 year old Mirage speakers in my surround sound setup (same as Denon, Mirage more recently started a "Budget Line"), once again, blow away much more "modern" stuff at much higher price points.

Much like you, I have come to realize that a quick/cheap option ends up costing much more than a quality option in the long run....Bicycles, wrist watches, small engines, the list goes on and on...

1989 Toyota 4x4 Dlx 5MT - Sold to buy a house, 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT - Sold to buy a Dud, 2005 Audi S4 Avant 6MT - Totaled Dud
2001 Merc SLK 320 6MT - The Weekend Ride
2004 Merc E320 4Matic - The New DD

#4 2017-11-07 10:50:19

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

Tools is a good one, I got one of the last US made Craftsman kits a decade ago, most is still going strong.  Not quite Snap On, but they work.  And definitely agree on Motorcycle gear, I spent a good bit on a Klim setup years back and haven't regretted it once.

Interestingly I've started doing most of my clothing shopping at Goodwill, kind of counter to the theme of this thread, but I've gotten a good work wardrobe and a lot of really comfy t shirts.  The nice thing there is if something ends up not working so well I don't even mind giving it back to them and eating the $2 or so it cost.

#5 2017-11-07 11:11:08

riser39
User Number: 7053

I love my Dockers one piece leather belt and I've had it for about 10 years.  My go to shoes for the office are my Doc Martens I bought 17 years ago and they are just starting to look worn.   The sole on mine aren't super obnoxious, so it's tought to find a replacement I'd be happy with.

06 Acura TL 6speed

#6 2017-11-07 11:44:10

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

I just retired a set of Clark's shoes after having purchased them in 2004. They still fit comfortably and offered great support - but the soles were nearly smooth. I managed to totally wreck them this summer by walking through a tire plant and getting carbon black all over them.

I managed to find the Clark's Touareg Vibe model that is a current offering, and shelled out the $85 to get them. The fit was perfect and the all-leather construction should hopefully be as robust as the originals - I'm hoping for another 13 years from these.

Also relevant: I buy quality tools when justified, i.e. frequent usage. I will not go out and buy Snap-On magnetic pick-up tools for $25 when the $2 Harbor Freight one works just as well. I do, however, own a Snap-On #2 Philips screwdriver, long-handle 3/8" ratchet, and two smaller flat-bladed Snap-On screwdrivers. I would usually buy Craftsman stuff, but it's garbage now. If you want quality Craftsman stuff, it needed to be USA-made. Seek it out at yard & estate sales.

I am also a scale modeler by hobby - I have discovered that Testor's enamel paints are far inferior to anything made by Tamiya. I only buy Testor's now if the color is not available from Tamiya or otherwise easily mixed.

We went through (are still going through?) the same thing with our non-stick cookware. We have a set of Cuisinart 'titanium' coated cookware (it's light gray, not black), and the non-stick aspect of the pans wore off forever ago, but the coating is holding strong (the warranty covers the coating against scratches and wear - but no warranty for non-stick-ness). These are not the 'Target/Amazon' versions with the plastic handles, either - they are the professional models from Williams-Sonoma. Anytime my wife cooks anything in them, I have to clean them with a scotch-brite or a magic eraser to get the remaining food off - but they are not warped and distribute heat evenly, so...

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#7 2017-11-07 12:01:07

chet90si
The Honda Guy.
Supporter
User Number: 1853

I'm like this with toilet paper. Charmin Ultra Strong or GTFO.

#8 2017-11-07 12:18:23

jixaw
User Number: 35856

just had an eight year old Samsung LCD die ....well the power supply board is toast....i remember when you could get 30 years out of a tv .....

2005 Saab 9-2x Linear - Auto - Deep Blue Mica - Cold Weather Package - - Mods: Aero Rear Sway Bar, Perrin FSB, Whiteline QR RSB, KYB-G Excel Shocks, STI Pink Springs, Tsudo UEL, Custom catback with Magnaflow, Centric rotors & posi-quiet ceramic pads, 17" ASAs w/Dunlop Direzzas (summer), 16" OEM alloys w/studded Nokian hakka 7's (winter), 35% tint sides/rear

#9 2017-11-07 13:13:01

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

chet90si wrote:

I'm like this with toilet paper. Charmin Ultra Strong or GTFO.

lol lol lol

For work belts I've had luck with Original Penguin belts that I've picked up at Nordstrom Rack. My first one I bought prob a little over 7 years ago and I finally replaced it just cuz it was looking worn around the holes. Still worked but was looking a little unprofessional. For outside of work I had a brown leather belt from Pac Sun that I got ... when Pac Sun was still age appropriate for me, so like 12 years ago, that just finally needed replacing. Bought a similar belt from the J Crew outlet for cheap but looks like it should be sturdy enough to last just fine.

Side note: before I purchase the second penguin belt I bought a random one from Macys and the buckle came loose from the belt like the second day I wore it. Fail.

For quality items my wife and I have we mostly have our wedding registry to thank for that. TravelPro bags  and the KitchenAid mixer are probably the highlights. Unfortunately our non-stick pans have started to lose their coating so they don't non-stick as well. They were Caulphon from Macy's - we're at the point of debating going back to Macy's for some or just picking some up for cheap from Home Goods or something. Some of the wedding ones are no good after 4 years.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

#10 2017-11-07 13:14:43

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

I've almost always paid extra for quality- and rarely have regretted it. Perhaps the biggest splurge was on a Nokona baseball glove (only because I don't use it any longer)- it just felt sooo much better than the half price competition. It served me well for nearly a decade, and still feels like "home" when I put it on.

I found a good belt on Etsy- made by a guy out of Pennsylvania, I believe. Harness leather. Seems to be holding up well. One big caveat- I rotate through about 6 belts, some dressier, some more robust- but alternating keeps the wear down on each of them.

I also have trended toward buying more expensive shoes, that can be resoled and repaired. But similar to belts, I have quite a few pairs that I rotate between, which keeps each pairs' useful life longer. Luckily, mens' shoes remain in style much longer than other clothing items. When it comes to soccer cleats, I'll buy the high end or next t o high end boots a couple seasons out of style - same performance, half price. That works well except for when shoe sizes are limited, especially if a company is inconsistent between models (looking at you here, Puma) or when a brand will no longer be represented (Asics is the guilty party here- found some shoes, love their fit, and can't find them at my standard cleat sources now, so next time I buy, I will need to gamble all over again).

Last edited by n_r_child (2017-11-07 13:25:43)

le sigh

#11 2017-11-07 14:01:09

carlf
A 92x Newbie
User Number: 42817

Tools is tough because of the price of quality and "will I actually use this tool again after the specific project is done"... So I tend to buy the cheap version from Lowes or Harbor Freight, and then if I find that I use it a lot I'll go out and get the quality version after the original brakes or is not able to keep up. I have a hard time justifying spending $10 on one wrench because I needed a specific size when I can get a full set with additional sizes I didn't have for $3 more at HF (with a lifetime warranty in case you do pop it). But I'm obviously not a mechanic, contractor or full time carpenter.

That said, all my cordless tools are Ridgid with Lifetime warranty, have a quality contractor table saw, and a few other solid hand tools.

#12 2017-11-07 14:14:28

drewsro
Master
User Number: 13600

ikbrown wrote:

For quality items my wife and I have we mostly have our wedding registry to thank for that. TravelPro bags  and the KitchenAid mixer are probably the highlights. Unfortunately our non-stick pans have started to lose their coating so they don't non-stick as well. They were Caulphon from Macy's - we're at the point of debating going back to Macy's for some or just picking some up for cheap from Home Goods or something. Some of the wedding ones are no good after 4 years.

Same here.  My wife and I got some nice quality things from our wedding registry.  Things we wouldn't normally buy ourselves.

2005 9-2x Aero 5MT- Stage 2
2016 VW GTI S 6MT
Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

#13 2017-11-07 14:26:47

snowphun
User Number: 890

Love the buy for life approach with many things. Recent hot button purchase was new carry on luggage. Went with a sweet Burton and LL Bean rollers, Thule was a close second.  Rock solid wheels, satisfying to use zippers and well engineered handles. I wish the carry on sizes were more standardized, many airlines are different and bags are often pushing the limits.

#14 2017-11-07 14:41:34

SaabaruAero
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2119

Tool wise I have Craftsmen for quite a few of my hand tools, and some of them are pushing 35 years of use. n_r_child can attest to the condition of most of my tools. For Power Tools my starting point is mid-range, unless I know it will be highly utilized. Then I will spend more to get better quality. Bike wise, most of my components are pretty high end, and I have gotten 10 years easily out of components. I still have dishes from the mjd-eighties that are in better shape than the dishes my wife and I bought 13 years ago. I did buy a $450 NAPA hydraulic jack, when my Craftsmen crapped out after a couple of years.

Treat your stuff well and it will last. I have been known to use a dental pick on my tools to get them clean. I have cold weather extension cords from the mid-eighties that I still use daily. Had to replace the ends a couple of years ago, but the cords are in great shape.

05 Silver Aero
Heated seats, Roof Rails, Clear bra up to the scoop, Forester Rear Wiper, Stage 2 (Cobb DP, SPT Cat back), AP, ScanGuage II
1982 RX-7 60.4k
2001 4runner

#15 2017-11-07 14:45:45

skidave
User Number: 4770

How about computers? I'm still using the same Thinkpad laptop that I bought almost 10 years ago...the thing is built like a tank. The only thing I've had break on it is one of the speakers, and a replacement was $5 on ebay. Service manuals for all models mean that parts are easy to replace / upgrade - I've since maxed out the RAM and upgraded to a fast SSD to keep the thing relatively current and avoid having to buy a new laptop.

05 Arctic Silver Aero MT Stage 2
05 Blue Aero MT Stage 2 - Totaled 5/10/14 by stop sign runner sad

#16 2017-11-07 15:53:57

Nightcrawler
Token 92x Owner
Supporter
User Number: 4306

Do significant others count? I am looking to upgrade from my last one.

'05 92x Stage 2 181k miles lost to an old man and a Ram
VW Sandrail registered as a '71 Karmin Ghia Convertible
'17 FoST
"Chump don't want no help, chump don't get no help"

#17 2017-11-07 16:11:37

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

I made this same upgrade, but I still have nonstick for omelets and shit.  Calphalon - second set, they last 3-4 years.  Bought these in 2014 and they're still amazing and will be for the rest of my lift.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009J … &psc=1

And they're $25 cheaper now than when I got 'em.

Pro-tip on luggage ->L.L. Bean.  Lifetime guarantee, no questions asked replacements.  Just got an new roller duffel replacement (8 years old) after the airline fucked up my zipper.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#18 2017-11-07 16:28:06

SaabaruAero
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2119

Do significant others count? I am looking to upgrade from my last one.

Already did that once, the current one is a keeper

05 Silver Aero
Heated seats, Roof Rails, Clear bra up to the scoop, Forester Rear Wiper, Stage 2 (Cobb DP, SPT Cat back), AP, ScanGuage II
1982 RX-7 60.4k
2001 4runner

#19 2017-11-07 16:34:04

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

skidave wrote:

How about computers? I'm still using the same Thinkpad laptop that I bought almost 10 years ago...the thing is built like a tank. The only thing I've had break on it is one of the speakers, and a replacement was $5 on ebay. Service manuals for all models mean that parts are easy to replace / upgrade - I've since maxed out the RAM and upgraded to a fast SSD to keep the thing relatively current and avoid having to buy a new laptop.

I miss the days when older laptops were actually servicable.  We had an HP laptop from 2003, I replaced the hard drive, motherboard and video board with factory replacement parts (sourced from E-bay) to keep it working well into the early 2010s.  HP also published service manuals in those days.  I still have it, have wanted to convert it to Linux to see if i could get some more life out of it.

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#20 2017-11-07 16:34:10

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

skidave wrote:

Same for me and my Macbook Pro.  10 years old, upgraded to SSD and maxed out ram and it does all I need it to.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#21 2017-11-07 17:11:25

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
Website

Pyromancy5 wrote:

I made this same upgrade, but I still have nonstick for omelets and shit.  Calphalon - second set, they last 3-4 years.  Bought these in 2014 and they're still amazing and will be for the rest of my lift.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009J … &psc=1

And they're $25 cheaper now than when I got 'em.

Pro-tip on luggage ->L.L. Bean.  Lifetime guarantee, no questions asked replacements.  Just got an new roller duffel replacement (8 years old) after the airline fucked up my zipper.

Exact set I just bought.

#22 2017-11-07 17:19:51

krazykarguy
Supporter

snowphun wrote:

Love the buy for life approach with many things. Recent hot button purchase was new carry on luggage. Went with a sweet Burton and LL Bean rollers, Thule was a close second.  Rock solid wheels, satisfying to use zippers and well engineered handles. I wish the carry on sizes were more standardized, many airlines are different and bags are often pushing the limits.

I worked 7 years at Burton. Their luggage is literally lifetime warranty, but I have yet had anything on any bag fail. I once pulled a full size green plaid Burton roller for over a mile from the tram over cobblestone sidewalks to my hotel in the cold November rain in Berlin, Germany. The bag was fully loaded with 11 days of laundry that all arrived dry to the hotel. I still use that bag and the other three Burton pieces I own regularly. So good choice there.

Last edited by krazykarguy (2017-11-07 17:31:27)

2005 Aero 5MT

#23 2017-11-08 02:48:56

MorganH
Mr. Caramel
Supporter
User Number: 2380

Non-stick pans you buy once... seriously... CAST IRON pans....  banana

Otherwise I agree with it all... I'm in 10 year old boxers... that have not gotten a single hole yet... I'm afraid I'll be buried in these Patagonia boxers.... facepalm

- '06 9-2x Aero - 5MT - Arctic Silver - Made the way it should have been.

Daddy's Wheels To School And Skiing :  Daughter's 'Tail of the Dragon' Roller Coaster
...and yes, she climbs into her Recaro and belts her self in.

#24 2017-11-08 08:57:16

krazykarguy
Supporter

Asics Nimbus running shoes are my go-to casual/walking sneakers. Since I worked in the footwear department of a Dick's Sporting Goods, I have worn Asics shoes. By far the best for cushion and support, and they have a running shoe to fit any foot shape.

I have waffled between the Kayano and the Nimbus for years, and they seem to last longer (cushioning-wise) than anything else around. Before you tell me that these are completely different support types, I already know.

Sneakers are never 'buy-it-for-life', but this brand seems to last longer than any other. They are not cheap, however - I recommend buying the 1-2 generation older ones at a outlet mall or online, rather than the newest ones. Kayano 24s are pushing $170 now, and the Nimbus 19 is $150-$160. They're great shoes, but not $150 great...

2005 Aero 5MT

#25 2017-11-08 09:20:32

itsnotmeitsyou
Potato, Patreason...
Supporter
User Number: 5779

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero:  More than you've had done to your car.
2015 Forester XT 'TS' clone

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.