saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#76 2016-10-01 13:23:38

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

Re: Ford Transit Connect

Forgot about the stupid VIN verification, money creating CO bullshit.....   unamused

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#77 2016-10-01 14:22:54

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

drewsro wrote:

dotmaster206 wrote:

The final price included $799 in "Dealer Services" which is pretty ridiculous, I think.

That's a bull shit fee.  We charge one at my work and it's only $150.  Just covers some of the cost of processing.  $799 is stupid high, it's pretty much all profit for them.  If it doesn't work out with them, let me know.  I might be able to try to work something for you here and find you one.  Plus we don't have any stupid rules abut having the vehicle picked up by a certain point, once it's paid it can sit in the back of our building for however long you need it to.

Yeah, it's crazy. They're telling me I'm getting the car at cost already. So...they advertised to sell the car at the price they bought it for?  lol okay guys. I didn't even try to get some movement on price before we got to the final pricing sheet stage. So, this $799 fee thing wasn't even there to make up some of their negotiating losses.

racerjim wrote:

Forgot about the stupid VIN verification, money creating CO bullshit.....   unamused

Right? What does it matter if the vehicle is in the state at the moment of registration? It's a system designed to make things like this difficult.

#78 2016-10-06 16:42:37

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

Are you buying a new 2016/17 vehicle?

#79 2016-10-06 20:22:15

dotmaster206

No, 2014 most likely. I have no use for a warranty that will get voided immediately.

I would also consider salvage, really, if it's something like a blown engine/transmission because obviously I won't be needing those. But if someone left a drain plug out and accidentally wrecked their engine that way they'd probably put another engine in rather than selling it to an auction place. At only a couple of years old, they're all still worth to much to dump just because of a bad engine.

A perfect one popped up in Miami last week but someone bought it before I could. The only consolation to me was that with the hurricane, it could have gotten wrecked while sitting in the lot waiting to get picked up by the Vaccar guys and then I'd have a whole world of shit to deal with and still no van.

#80 2016-10-19 10:32:53

cjaama
User Number: 1885

Ok, it's been a couple weeks with no update.  Where are we at?

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

#81 2016-10-19 23:56:52

dotmaster206

Moving along, bit by bit.

I currently have a deposit down on a TC in New Jersey. It was listed as Ford Certified pre-owned, and as a result, outside of my budget. After continuing to see it pop up in my daily search, I emailed the dealer and asked if they'd drop the warranty and the price with it, and to my surprise they were cool with that. So, I'm getting a decent deal. I will be picking it up next Friday. The deposit is refundable, so if things are amiss when I get there, I'm not going to get boned. But, I'm pretty confident this will be the starter vehicle. It's at ~53k miles, SWB, has the 180deg split rear doors, XLT, black interior, dark blue paint.

My only minor concern is the possibility of underbody rust having been driving the salty roads of the Northeast for a couple of years. However, the fact that it was in the certified pre-owned program at least gives me a little bit of confidence there. Anyway, I'll find out for sure when I see it in person. It just happened to work out that I was already flying to NYC next weekend anyway so I'm not even risking the cost of a flight. The plan is to simply skip my return flight and drive the van back to CO instead. That's about an 1,800 mile/26hr drive. I'll bring an air mattress with me and sleep in the back when I get tired - just gonna hammer down and get home. The reason for heading back to CO rather than delivering it to Florida is mainly that NJ will only issue an out-of-state purchaser a 20 day, non-renewable temporary registration, and there's no way that Vaccar will get it done inside of that window, so then I'd have to ship it home which will be quite expensive. This way, I'll have no problems. Additionally, there is the possibility that the Vaccar guys can pick up the van from me in Denver on their way back to Florida coming from SEMA in Las Vegas in a couple of weeks, so it might end up not being any extra driving for me either. I need to confirm that plan with them, though.

The donor ST has been less successful so far. I have seen one good candidate in Florida, but the auction ended before I could figure out how to make the purchase happen. The Vaccar guys have a dealer license and so can buy from non-public auction, but we haven't set up the legal and payment stuff between us to make that possible yet. I want to get that squared away ASAP so that the next time something good comes up, we aren't having to scramble and are ready to get it done.

Any suggestions or tips on buying from the salvage/auction places would be welcome. I haven't done that before and it seems like a bit of a minefield industry. I'm really hoping to find a good donor in Florida so that I don't have to coordinate shipping, which is another miserable minefield industry, but that may just not end up the way it works. We'll see.

#82 2016-10-20 11:04:10

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

dotmaster206 wrote:

My only minor concern is the possibility of underbody rust having been driving the salty roads of the Northeast for a couple of years.

Fully galvanized bodies on these.  Rust shouldn't be an issue at that mileage, and once you have it out here, rust issues go away!

#83 2016-11-01 22:52:35

dotmaster206

Well, I have a van. It is sitting in my driveway now. I drove it back from New Jersey this weekend - quite a grind, but I made it okay.

Here's a picture the dealer took - I don't have a good one that I took yet.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj600/dotmaster206/Front%20Quarter_zpsprjvxj2d.jpg

A few reactions from the drive:
- This is gonna be great. The platform is quite good, and after doubling the power and getting the clutch pedal, so much the better.
- I need to figure out some suspension upgrades, maybe a longer term item ,though. The rear wheel gap is too big, and in general the van could use a little more tightening up for confidence in higher speed cornering. I know it will never handle like a small car, but I think it can get closer.
- Going from the HIDs on the 9-2x down to regular halogen bulbs on the TC is a step down that I don't want to live with. I will look at LED conversions to resolve this, maybe.
- The sound system is surprisingly good, and also helped by the quieter cabin. I will probably put a fairly cheap sub in the back and leave it at that. This was something I was unsure about since it's largely sold as a commercial van, but it turns out it is not an issue.

The most eventful part of the drive happened less than 10 minutes from my house at 1:15am. I saw a van crashed into the guard rail, lights still on, no other cars around. So, it looked like a fresh accident. I pulled over. As I ran back towards it, I saw a guy climbing out of the driver's seat into the back. I thought his door must be pinned against the rail (this was left side of the road) and he was trying to get out. I asked if he was injured. He acted like he couldn't hear me, and I thought he might be dazed/concussed. I asked again and he said "No! Why would I be hurt? My wife just ran out of gas!"

At this point I'm getting the picture. The guy was drunk, crashed, and was trying to get out of the driver's seat before I saw him there. I can't see any visible injuries on him, so I say okay and walk away a bit to call the police. It just happened at that moment that a cop was pulling up - not sure if someone else had already called it in or if she just happened to be driving by and saw the wreck as well. I walked over to her car with hands extra visible (thinking the whole time that I never would have done this if I was a black guy) and told her that I had just seen the van post accident and I thought the guy was drunk. The guy was out of the van and walking over to us. The cop walked him back to the van and asked what happened. He gave her the same wife/gas story. He kept insisting that there was no accident, no problem. The cop says "okay...well, yer car's all fucked up bud!" and she turns and looks at me grinning, like to share a laugh. This whole thing was straight out of Reno 911. A bunch more cops and an ambulance and fire truck came in, I wrote a short statement saying I saw him climbing out of the driver's seat, and went on my merry way home.

Anyway, next step is to find the donor car. Hopefully that doesn't take too long, but who knows. I also need to get the van down to Florida, either by driving it myself or having the Vaccar guys detour up here from Vegas on their way home from SEMA to put it on their trailer with their show cars. That will cost me $950, which is a pretty good deal. I'm not super keen to make another 1,800 mile drive in the near future either, so I may take them up on that.

#84 2016-11-02 01:11:15

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

I dig that color and love that this is actually happening.

#85 2016-11-02 14:05:28

cjaama

That's awesome, one big step closer!  Also, good on you for providing a statement against that drunk.  Fuck drunk drivers
How far out of their way would it be to pick it up from you on their way back from SEMA?  I would guess you could ship it commercially for that much, if not less, but I'm sure you looked into this.

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

#86 2016-11-02 14:40:49

riser39
User Number: 7053

This has got to be my favorite thread on the site right now.  Looking forward to the updates.

06 Acura TL 6speed

#87 2016-11-02 14:47:43

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

I got to drive a 2016 LWB FTC a couple of weeks ago (Enterprise rental) while my wife's Sorento was in the body shop. I was pretty impressed with that vehicle in general, and actually had no idea it even existed. It had what felt like infinite headroom, and driving it was akin to riding in a fishbowl. The shelves in the roof over the dashboard were a nice touch.

It definitely felt strained with the little 4 cylinder pulling it around, I was shocked that it had a sticker price of $29k.

I will caution you about driving in close to curbs, though - the nose has a significant overhang and is lower than you think it is... Ask me how I know.

What country was yours built in? I was surprised when I decoded the 'NM0' VIN code to show an origin of Turkey...  confused

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

#88 2016-11-02 14:50:29

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

up up up

#89 2016-11-02 23:28:21

dotmaster206

cjaama wrote:

How far out of their way would it be to pick it up from you on their way back from SEMA?  I would guess you could ship it commercially for that much, if not less, but I'm sure you looked into this.

Yeah, I looked into shipping - typical costs are around $1/mile, so $950 is near a 50% discount. It is also much better because I can deal with them directly rather than the likely nightmare of working through shipping brokers/contractors. It's basically between paying that or driving it to Florida myself. I can get pretty cheap flights home, so it'd cost me ~$400-500 to drive myself, plus a few days total time. I'm leaning towards having them pick it up. I think it adds a few hours to their drive overall.

krazykarguy wrote:

I got to drive a 2016 LWB FTC a couple of weeks ago (Enterprise rental) while my wife's Sorento was in the body shop. I was pretty impressed with that vehicle in general, and actually had no idea it even existed. It had what felt like infinite headroom, and driving it was akin to riding in a fishbowl. The shelves in the roof over the dashboard were a nice touch.

It definitely felt strained with the little 4 cylinder pulling it around, I was shocked that it had a sticker price of $29k.

I will caution you about driving in close to curbs, though - the nose has a significant overhang and is lower than you think it is... Ask me how I know.

What country was yours built in? I was surprised when I decoded the 'NM0' VIN code to show an origin of Turkey...  confused

Yeah, the headroom is pretty crazy and the windshield is so far forward from you it feels huge inside. The SWB is actually within an inch or two in terms of length and width to the 9-2x but it feels way bigger.

Indeed, that 2.5L NA is not up to the task at highway speeds. It does okay cruising, sure, but it's going to be way more interesting with the ST motor.

Re: the country of origin, as I understand it, the 2014+ is built in Valencia, Spain and the 1st Gen 2013- were built in Turkey. I'm not sure, though. My VIN starts with NM0 as well.

Thanks for all  the support, y'all. It's going to be a several month process from here, I think, but it'll get there and I'll post plenty of pictures and updates.

#90 2016-11-03 10:03:53

cjaama

Wait, these guys have done a FTC and a 9-2x?  eek
http://www.vaccar.co/vehicles-custom--promo.html

#91 2016-11-03 12:13:18

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the search for a doner ST - I imagine that will be even harder than finding a clean Saabaru these days. Excited to see the progress of this crazy idea into reality.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

#92 2016-11-03 12:51:01

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

dotmaster206 wrote:

Re: the country of origin, as I understand it, the 2014+ is built in Valencia, Spain and the 1st Gen 2013- were built in Turkey. I'm not sure, though. My VIN starts with NM0 as well.

If it was a Spain-built TC, the VIN would start with 'VS6'. 'NM0' is Ford of Turkey. So strange how companies globalize on such a large scale, I find it hard to conceive that labor and shipment from halfway across the globe for these is cheaper than building in North America. Perhaps the skyrocketing success of the TC is why Ford is building an assembly plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico - coincidentally very close to Continental's plant in the same city.

VIN data source:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_I … n_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Ford/VIN_Codes

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic - 475hp of crowd munching fun

#93 2016-11-03 14:50:40

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

krazykarguy wrote:

So strange how companies globalize on such a large scale, I find it hard to conceive that labor and shipment from halfway across the globe for these is cheaper than building in North America.

It is volume dependent, beyond a certain point it gets cheaper to tool up a new plant (and set up supply chain) than to ship overseas.  it also may have been a way to get the car to market faster, rather than waiting for the Mexico plant to come on line

#94 2016-11-03 14:52:00

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

dotmaster206 wrote:

I can deal with them directly rather than the likely nightmare of working through shipping brokers/contractors.

Just FYI, I had a great experience with the broker that shipped my MB from PA to CO, and can provide contact info on request.

#95 2016-11-03 22:05:38

Bunnspeed
Site Bunnefactor
Supporter
User Number: 1900

Late to this thread but looks like a great project in the making. I really love the look of the new TC and I had a ride in one in Europe last summer and was extremely impressed by its quietness and sense of refinement. I'd love to drive one with some extra power. Even stock it would make a pleasant daily. Good luck with the build!

Had: 2005 92x Aero 14.5 @ 94, Stage 1
Totaled: 2008 K04 GTI 13.7 @ 102
Has: 2011 Volvo S60 T6 KW V3, Ferrita downpipe, DO88 FMIC, 13.1 @ 101
1997 Cadillac DeVille a.k.a. The Marshmallow Warhammer D'Elegance 15.2 @ 92

#96 2016-11-03 23:00:10

dotmaster206

cjaama wrote:

Yeah! I was really surprised to see that as well. I talked with Aaron about it a while back. It was one of his first show cars, and he said he really regrets selling it. He used to be a big Subaru guy and still has an '04 (I think) STi with super low miles on it that is set up for something like 350whp.

racerjim wrote:

Just FYI, I had a great experience with the broker that shipped my MB from PA to CO, and can provide contact info on request.

Thanks, I mention the nightmare just because I put my info into a quote website just to get a rough idea of cost a couple of months ago and my phone was exploding for about two weeks straight after that with calls, texts, and emails from all these guys. Not good. The way the industry works in general is ridiculous. Vaccar is going to charge me ~$0.50/mile to FL which is a pretty nice price, I think, so I'll probably go with that.

#97 2016-11-03 23:10:10

bentmettle
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 897
Website

I'll be curious to hear how they work through the axle issues.

Spent some time this afternoon looking at trying to get my Fiesta ST onto the base model suspension before I build it into a rally car. 

You are planning to dump a Focus ST 2.0 GTDI into it, right?

#98 2016-11-04 00:17:08

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter

dotmaster206 wrote:

cjaama wrote:

Yeah! I was really surprised to see that as well. I talked with Aaron about it a while back. It was one of his first show cars, and he said he really regrets selling it. He used to be a big Subaru guy and still has an '04 (I think) STi with super low miles on it that is set up for something like 350whp.

racerjim wrote:

Thanks, I mention the nightmare just because I put my info into a quote website just to get a rough idea of cost a couple of months ago and my phone was exploding for about two weeks straight after that with calls, texts, and emails from all these guys. Not good. The way the industry works in general is ridiculous. Vaccar is going to charge me ~$0.50/mile to FL which is a pretty nice price, I think, so I'll probably go with that.

I went through the same thing (actually, my wife did....) it was ridiculous for about a month.  I think you are getting a good deal, especially if it is a closed transporter.

#99 2016-11-04 08:49:12

dotmaster206

bentmettle wrote:

I'll be curious to hear how they work through the axle issues.

Spent some time this afternoon looking at trying to get my Fiesta ST onto the base model suspension before I build it into a rally car. 

You are planning to dump a Focus ST 2.0 GTDI into it, right?

Yeah, it'll have the full FoST drivetrain in it when it's done. I'm not sure what their plan for axles is either. I think that and the transmission tunnel were the two biggest unknowns in this swap in terms of mechanicals.

#100 2016-11-05 19:36:30

SaabRX
2016 BCS FOZ XT
Supporter
User Number: 502

The 13, 14's were plagued with Transmission issues, I drove a 13 for 60,000lbs had only 600 pounds in it and i got the Dual clutch rebuild TSB done, an ten thousand later  another transmission,  My employeer got rid of it with 62,000 miles
  Good Luck ...

Marty  embeer cool

2002 WRB Bugeye  5MT Turbo
2005 Black Saabaru 5MT Turbo NEVER SHOULD OF SOLD IT! If I only knew ...
2014 DGM Forester XT  Premium
2016 BCS  Forester XT Premium

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.