saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#476 2020-09-15 11:29:27

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

Re: Ford Transit Connect

Yup, I think he still has the bus, but he's also acquired a T1N Sprinter. I haven't seen any recent updates, though.

https://www.instagram.com/diomgy/

*edit* Just found this, looks like Youtube is the place Geoff updates most often! https://www.youtube.com/c/DIomgY/videos

Last edited by iamchris (2020-09-15 11:31:03)

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#477 2021-03-01 13:59:30

mbandi
Mmmmmmm Scooby!
User Number: 5179

Any updates dot?

SOLD: The Wife's 2005 9-2X Aero, 4EAT, Midnight Black Mica
SOLD: 2005 9-2X Aero, Manual, Arctic Silver, 2.1 Stroker
SOLD: 2005 9-2X Aero. Desert Silver, 5 speed

#478 2021-04-28 13:41:08

dotmaster206
User Number: 7123

I suppose there is an update. I've decided to take delivery as-is.

It's currently driving around reliably. Issues are that all the dash warning lights are on all the time because the programming isn't sorted out completely, and the A/C is finicky - sometimes it thinks the external temperature is -40F and so it disables the compressor.

I basically need someone who knows Ford programming (probably Forscan) to get it sorted out. Someone who knows Forscan pretty well is in the area of Orlando and we've worked with him a bit in the past, but he's difficult to schedule and I'm just not going to keep waiting. So if he is willing/able to take a Saturday to come and work some magic in the next few weeks, great. If not, I'm still going to pick it up however it sits and drive it back to Denver. My plan is late May - just need to confirm the weekend around work and my kid and whatnot. Once I get it home, I'll be the general contractor so to speak and either I'll learn the Forscan programming stuff myself or I'll find someone who can help - remote programming seems reasonable. I can do a remote desktop session or whatever with someone. There are a couple of these TC-ST swaps driving in the UK now, maybe I could get one of those guys to lend a hand. Anyway, I'll be taking over and really looking forward to driving the thing.

#479 2021-04-28 13:45:45

dotmaster206

Oh one other thing...a very long shot but worth a shot anyway...is anyone on this forum anywhere near King-George, VA? It's about an hour north of Richmond.

I ask because there's a used parts reseller with a 2016 SWB TC that has OEM roof rails, which they're selling for $100. The OEM roof rails from the dealer are ridiculous - over $400. I'd be happy to pay someone $100 to go buy them from Northern Neck Auto Parts and ship them to me. The SWB rails are really rare because most SWB vans out there are commercial vans with no options, so finding this one was an unlikely catch. I called them and they don't do any parts shipping, unfortunately.

#480 2021-04-29 08:15:41

saabroo
Not Moderater
User Number: 31977

"Need a part fast?  We ship and deliver"

I'm guessing they can't be bothered on your part because they don't have a box.  banghead

2019 Audi A4 Quattro
2008 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant
2005 Saab 9-2x 4EAT. SOLD
2010 Camaro V8 2SS/RS 6MT with Maggie. 513whp, 480tq. SOLD

#481 2021-04-29 10:04:20

dotmaster206

lol what the heck! I didn't even see that on their website when I called to inquire about a shipping quote. They guy just said we don't ship parts and I said oh bummer, thanks anyway.

Maybe I'll call back today...

#482 2021-04-29 16:33:44

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

Looking forward to the review of the driving experience.  A few of us have been waiting a long time to hear how it goes!

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#483 2021-04-30 00:59:29

Rodman
User Number: 1046

Excellent news, hopefully you can get it sorted quickly.

2005 satin gray metalic aero, sold. 06 wrx, adios!
2005 black aero, rescue project, jdm EJ205 avcs.
2005 desert silver aero, traded.
2002 bugeye, sedan, JDM STi ver 7 swapped.

#484 2021-04-30 08:07:02

saabroo
Not Moderater

facepalm   lol

dotmaster206 wrote:

lol what the heck! I didn't even see that on their website when I called to inquire about a shipping quote. They guy just said we don't ship parts and I said oh bummer, thanks anyway.

Maybe I'll call back today...

2019 Audi A4 Quattro

#485 2021-04-30 10:22:02

drewsro
Master
User Number: 13600

This has been 5 years in the making. You have some world-class patience. I would of cracked by now  lol

Need a CARFAX report? Message me.

#486 2021-04-30 10:31:31

dotmaster206

To some degree, this is cracking. It's not 'done' but it's done enough to drive and I'm just going to finish it myself.

It has indeed been almost 5 years, though. August 2016 was when I started looking for a van to buy. I got a 5 year loan to buy it just because the rate was so good at the time. The last payment on that is in October...Crazy...

#487 2021-04-30 10:34:14

drewsro
Master

dotmaster206 wrote:

To some degree, this is cracking. It's not 'done' but it's done enough to drive and I'm just going to finish it myself.

It has indeed been almost 5 years, though. August 2016 was when I started looking for a van to buy. I got a 5 year loan to buy it just because the rate was so good at the time. The last payment on that is in October...Crazy...

True. Crazy that you basically have it paid off, and still don't have it yet. How many times were you ready to just move on from the whole thing?

#488 2021-04-30 10:51:23

dotmaster206

Honestly, I never got close to moving on. I had a fair bit of money tied up in it, so that's something that probably added to it (sunk cost fallacy I know but I can't help it affecting me). But ultimately I never felt like we were at a point where there wasn't a way to do it, and I still really want this exact vehicle and this is the only way to get it. I think that was really the key.

Along the way, a couple of people in the UK have done this swap. So, while I theoretically knew it was possible in the beginning, it was eventually proven by those projects and that kept the hope alive. I'm hoping I'll be able to get some help from their experience now that I'm taking on the programming side.

I think another thing that kept me going was selling my 9-2x. I had that car for 8 years and I didn't fully realize it but I had lost interest in it over time - it didn't keep me excited that whole time. The last few years it was mostly just a car to me, and that isn't how I like things to be. I sold it later than I should have in retrospect but I was always thinking I'd keep it until I had the van. That being the case, though, buying the 2001 Isuzu Rodeo a little over a year ago definitely helped hold me over and gave me something to fix up and modify a little bit, which is great. I'll keep that for a while for trail driving and camping trips. And then last summer I sold the 9-2x and bought a 2001 9-5 Aero, which I adore. It's such a radically different experience from the 9-2x and has kinda refreshed my enjoyment of my car. So, that has helped hold me over as well.

The 9-5 has also possibly been part of what led me to decide to just take delivery of the van, though. Having had the experience of the new-to-me car that is super different from what I had been so used to for 8 years, it just made me want the van even more. The van is a totally unique vehicle and there's nothing out there even close to it. I literally can't wait any longer to have fun with it.

And last but not least, the world of cars overall has been changing so rapidly in the last couple of years - particularly with electrification - that I'm now more confident than ever that this van will be my last internal combustion engine vehicle. I'll probably drive it for 5-10 years and after that the world of electric cars will be vast and varied and it will be time to move on. Heck, several states have bans on new IC car sales in less than 10 years from now on the books already. So, since I can see that horizon coming, I further need to get the journey started.

#489 2021-04-30 10:59:01

racerjim
Headroom is overrated...
Supporter
User Number: 247

I'm kinda where you are in that the next vehicle may very well be electric, our Equinox is in great shape and still going strong, and the SLK is a great second car/commuter for carving the mountain roads in N GA and commuting to work (whenever that happens again).  However, I'm also mulling the purchase of one of the CT5-V Blackwings as a last fling with ICE.  I didn't get in on the lottery for the first 250 (the purchasers of which will likely get gouged by their dealers...) but am quietly keeping watch.

My Car:  2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG
SOLD August 2016:  2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-Speed, Cold, Premium, Arctic Silver
Her Car:  2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

#490 2021-04-30 11:01:56

drewsro
Master

Glad to hear! I definitely understand. Being able to keep the interest and excitement is big. It also helps knowing that you'll be getting a one of a kind vehicle. I love owning vehicles that are unique and love to talk about with people. As a car person, that's what we live for. Then also it sometimes just takes getting into a different vehicle to really appreciate what we have or give us a great perspective. Hopefully you get the van soon and can finally start enjoying it!

#491 2021-07-21 08:38:20

cjaama
User Number: 1885

dotmaster206 wrote:

I suppose there is an update. I've decided to take delivery as-is.

It's currently driving around reliably. Issues are that all the dash warning lights are on all the time because the programming isn't sorted out completely, and the A/C is finicky - sometimes it thinks the external temperature is -40F and so it disables the compressor.

I basically need someone who knows Ford programming (probably Forscan) to get it sorted out. Someone who knows Forscan pretty well is in the area of Orlando and we've worked with him a bit in the past, but he's difficult to schedule and I'm just not going to keep waiting. So if he is willing/able to take a Saturday to come and work some magic in the next few weeks, great. If not, I'm still going to pick it up however it sits and drive it back to Denver. My plan is late May - just need to confirm the weekend around work and my kid and whatnot. Once I get it home, I'll be the general contractor so to speak and either I'll learn the Forscan programming stuff myself or I'll find someone who can help - remote programming seems reasonable. I can do a remote desktop session or whatever with someone. There are a couple of these TC-ST swaps driving in the UK now, maybe I could get one of those guys to lend a hand. Anyway, I'll be taking over and really looking forward to driving the thing.

Did you ever end up picking it up? Pictures?

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

#492 2021-09-06 13:16:45

n_r_child
MFIC
Supporter
User Number: 215

Every time I have seen a Transit Connect on my commute I peep the license plate for an ST reference to see if, just by chance, it's THE Transit Connect. Sounds like it might actually be a possibility in the near future.

le sigh

#493 2021-09-07 09:44:29

dotmaster206

cjaama wrote:

I did pick it up, and was able to drive it all the way home without any major incident. I did the trip as fast as I possibly could. Flew out on Friday, landing at ~1:30pm Eastern in Orlando. Got a Lyft to Haines City and talked over the van with the Vaccars for a few hours and started driving home at about 5:30pm Eastern. I stopped at a large gas station/rest area outside of Joliet, Tennessee around 2am Eastern and slept in the back for about 5 hours before getting back on the road and went the rest of the way to Denver the following day. I arrived just after midnight mountain time on Saturday. The combination of COVID and having a 5 month old baby at home necessitated that level of push. It was fine, though, and I knew it was doable because I did roughly the same thing driving the van to Denver from NYC 5 years ago when I bought it.

The biggest risk I avoided was probably a flat tire. The coil over suspension (BC Racing for a Focus ST up front, BC adjustable perch springs in the rear with GAZ adjustable dampers for a TC from the UK on the rear) was not a good setup at all, as it turned out. Thinking back, it was an early decision to put that suspension on (was sourced from a Focus ST they did for SEMA around the time of the beginning of the van project). I am a lot smarter now and wouldn't have chosen it, but it was what it was. Insanely crashy over things like expansion joints on bridges and such. Felt and sounded like a bomb going off. Over nice pavement, it was pretty good, but not worth the penalty. Those impacts could have blown a tire, but thankfully didn't.

At some point in the trip I developed a really annoying clunking sound that I'd especially hear when going slow pulling into gas stations. As it turned out, the bushings on the rear GAZ shocks had totally blown out/disappeared on the driver side and were well on their way to that on the passenger side. So for at least half the trip I had basically no damping at all for the first inch of travel. The dampers themselves may have also been pretty blown too - harder to say. That explained some feelings of instability in cornering on on/off ramps too. I think the problem was fundamentally mismatched springs (again, for FoST) and dampers (for TC). The ST springs were tiny compared to the TC ones and the dampers were just not getting the support they should have had.

Other smaller issues included not having working windshield wipers. This was discovered when I was in Florida with the Vaccars. They had been driving without the wiper arms attached because the put on/took off the cowling a lot (battery access, etc), so they never saw that they weren't moving. It was a non-issue on the drive until it rained off/on all the way through Missouri, but it was at least during the day so I was able to manage. Then in Eastern Colorado I hit a huge thunderstorm that was pouring unbelievably hard at around 10pm. I was following a Chevy truck - 3500HD dually at about 5-10mph for what felt like forever but was probably about 10 minutes hoping for an exit that never came - they're spaced 30-40 miles apart out there. I don't think wipers would have done me any good, honestly - the quantity of water was so extreme there isn't a fast enough wiper in the world that would give you a moment to see any better.

I have replaced the suspension with lowering springs from Mod Your Connect (the source for the dampers) and the ride height looks identical. I got new dampers for the rear as well, of course. I'm back on stock struts for the front. It is pretty much perfect suspension-wise now, exactly what I wanted. It's firm for sure, but handles the bumps well. Handling is excellent - nothing like the boat like feel on stock ride height.

I fixed the wipers pretty easily as well - turned out the connectors were reversed in order so I just had to de-pin them and swap the order of the wires to get them going.

After making those fixes, I took it for a test drive around Denver and was delighted with the improvement to the ride. I drove around for maybe 30-40 minutes and then headed back towards home to first stop and pick up a grocery order and then go home. While sitting in the pickup parking spot at the grocery store, I noted a strong fuel smell. Looking out the window I saw a river of liquid coming out from under the van. I quickly noted that my oil pressure was still nominal for idling before shutting off the engine. Turned out my gas tank was leaking from a sizable gash in the corner. It was hanging down because one of the two straps it is supported by was totally gone - had fallen off during my test drive. I remember driving over something and seeing it in my rear view mirror - that was it. I believe when the Ford dealership pulled my tank to swap in the ST fuel pump (identical, as it turned out) they didn't fully torque the hanger bolts during re-install, and they were slowly working themselves loose. The other hanger bolts were hanging on by about 2 threads remaining. Impossible to prove because they did that work off-book and didn't charge me anything, but that's my guess. Anyway, I got towed home. I sourced a new tank from a salvage company in Utah - got it shipped for about 1/3rd of the price of a new tank ($700+ from Ford) and installed it.

While waiting for the new tank I also stripped the full interior of the van except the dashboard to install Dynamat everywhere. The exhaust is WAY too loud and has a powerful resonance around 3k rpm that feels like your head is going to pop. I was surprised it was that bad. The donor ST had a Cobb exhaust which we used, of course. I was expecting a similar Cobb exhaust to the one for the WRX/9-2x but that was not remotely the case. I will get it modified with a quieter muffler and/or add a second resonator, but adding a lot of sound deadening was also on the list.

After getting the new tank in I drove it for a couple of weeks. That'd be the only time you'd potentially see me commuting. I was going from NW Denver to Boulder daily, partly just to work out any other bugs that remained and there are a few. One that I couldn't kick was a fuel tank pressure sensor error. That's unrelated to the tank swap - was there before/after. It's an emissions code which is a problem because I'm due for registration renewal in November and I'm expecting it to be a battle. It's a 2014MY. In CO you get a 7 year grace period and then start getting emissions tested, so this will be the first year it will go to the testing facility. There's no way it passes with that error code, so I have to fix it. I think the problem is wiring related. The Vaccars are helping me with wiring diagrams of a lot of stuff from their computer system subscription and I have both the ST and TC Ford shop manual wiring books as well to try to figure out what needs to change to get it to work. So, that's the project currently before it can get back out on the road for a while. It's one of those things that won't affect the van itself in terms of operation, but does have to be fixed to get re-registered, so it's the highest priority now.

Having a baby and a very demanding job situation right now means progress is very stilted but I'll get it done. In the meantime I'm still driving the 9-5 which I do still very much enjoy.

n_r_child wrote:

Every time I have seen a Transit Connect on my commute I peep the license plate for an ST reference to see if, just by chance, it's THE Transit Connect. Sounds like it might actually be a possibility in the near future.

The plate actually isn't a custom/vanity one. I haven't done that yet - still on the fence if I will actually. But it does have an ST badge instead of XLT on the back now- that and the center exhaust tips is a surefire way to know it's me. Hopefully it's back on the road in a few weeks or so - right now I get a few hours per weekend to troubleshoot that wiring which is very slow going, but the November re-registration timing is coming right up so I need to get that code worked.

#494 2021-09-07 10:03:48

cjaama
User Number: 1885

dotmaster206 wrote:

I don't think wipers would have done me any good, honestly - the quantity of water was so extreme there isn't a fast enough wiper in the world that would give you a moment to see any better.

I'd pretty much pull over and suck on the exhaust if that happened to me. I will never drive a car that's not fully Rain-X'ed. Most of the time, particularly while at highway speed, you don't even need the wipers.
I really admire your attitude and patience with the whole project.
Pictures?

'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

#495 2021-09-08 08:24:43

saabroo
Not Moderater

dotmaster206 wrote:

cjaama wrote:

The exhaust is WAY too loud and has a powerful resonance around 3k rpm that feels like your head is going to pop. I was surprised it was that bad. The donor ST had a Cobb exhaust which we used, of course. I was expecting a similar Cobb exhaust to the one for the WRX/9-2x but that was not remotely the case. I will get it modified with a quieter muffler and/or add a second resonator, but adding a lot of sound deadening was also on the list.

I'm pretty sure the resonance is so loud is because of the large interior volume and all those flat wall panels.

Putting on a quieter muffler will do the trick, but it will need to be the baffled oem type. Adding a resonator will just lower the resonance point and will probably be just as loud.

Instead I suggest adding a Helmholtz resonator to the current system. Download a frequency monitoring app on your phone, (I got a basic $5 one for my iphone) drive around at varying rpms and note the frequency of the resonance spikes on your phone. Go here and download the Excel file calculator https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone this guy has created and calculate the size of the canister/connecting pipe you need. From what I read on the net, a Helmholtz resonator will dampen + - 200hz from the calculated chosen point.

2019 Audi A4 Quattro

#496 2021-09-14 10:27:41

drewsro
Master

Let's get some photos of this beast

#497 2021-09-16 22:53:30

Rich-N-AZ
User Number: 11897

saabroo wrote:

dotmaster206 wrote:

cjaama wrote:

The exhaust is WAY too loud and has a powerful resonance around 3k rpm that feels like your head is going to pop. I was surprised it was that bad. The donor ST had a Cobb exhaust which we used, of course. I was expecting a similar Cobb exhaust to the one for the WRX/9-2x but that was not remotely the case. I will get it modified with a quieter muffler and/or add a second resonator, but adding a lot of sound deadening was also on the list.

I'm pretty sure the resonance is so loud is because of the large interior volume and all those flat wall panels.

Putting on a quieter muffler will do the trick, but it will need to be the baffled oem type. Adding a resonator will just lower the resonance point and will probably be just as loud.

Instead I suggest adding a Helmholtz resonator to the current system. Download a frequency monitoring app on your phone, (I got a basic $5 one for my iphone) drive around at varying rpms and note the frequency of the resonance spikes on your phone. Go here and download the Excel file calculator https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/killing-drone this guy has created and calculate the size of the canister/connecting pipe you need. From what I read on the net, a Helmholtz resonator will dampen + - 200hz from the calculated chosen point.

Could various Dynomat products make a meaningful difference or is it just too much?

05 Aero | Black | 4EAT: Level 10 Bulletproof Torque Converter & Valvebody | Pro tuned Stage II | Invidia Q300
05 Aero | ~Satin Gray Metallic Matte Blue Metallic | 5MT | 2.5 hybrid | Delicious FlexFuel | Pro tuned Stage III  | Invidia Q300
19 Outback Touring 3.6R  | White  | Stock (so far)

#498 2021-09-17 08:03:16

saabroo
Not Moderater

It will 'help' by raising the resonance point. Especially on the large unbraced panels.

2019 Audi A4 Quattro

#499 2021-10-11 22:27:10

dotmaster206

cjaama wrote:

dotmaster206 wrote:

I don't think wipers would have done me any good, honestly - the quantity of water was so extreme there isn't a fast enough wiper in the world that would give you a moment to see any better.

I'd pretty much pull over and suck on the exhaust if that happened to me. I will never drive a car that's not fully Rain-X'ed. Most of the time, particularly while at highway speed, you don't even need the wipers.
I really admire your attitude and patience with the whole project.
Pictures?

lol RainX would have been worthless in this situation as well. I generally use it on my windshields, too. I'm talking about OUTRAGEOUS amounts of water coming down from the sky. Truly shocking, hurricane-like weather. Doesn't matter how easily water is beading up on the windshield when there's a firehouse pointed at it basically.

Pictures incoming, finally. Such a pain in the ass to get them from my phone onto this forum...

saabroo wrote:

Helmholtz resonator would be the type I'd look at, yeah. I think I'm going to start with a muffler though and see where that gets me. I agree the interior being what it is added to the resonance, but the exhaust really is that loud on any car as well.

Rich-N-AZ wrote:

Could various Dynomat products make a meaningful difference or is it just too much?

Yes to both options. I pulled the full interior and applied Dynamat Extreme everywhere. It made a big difference, and also not enough of a difference for me. It went from ridiculous/pressure inside your skull when accelerating up a hill at 2,500rom to just annoyingly loud (for a daily driver).

I don't think I'm going to spend the time/money on the exhaust modifications until I pass emissions and get re-registered, though...That'll be next month.

Okay, now pictures:

The van the night I got it home; first time in this garage. We bought a new house and built this garage between the time that it first went to Florida and came back. Had a baby, too!  facepalm

https://i.imgur.com/jtdRjmN.jpg

Couple of glamour shots:

https://i.imgur.com/eASOD67.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kRy1yJM.jpg

It's really real.

https://i.imgur.com/rbaW6di.jpg

Here's with the interior totally gutted for Dynamat application. Of course, I neglected to take a picture after applying it...oh well.

https://i.imgur.com/CqZgLXy.jpg

That's all for now...

#500 2021-10-11 22:50:51

mbandi
Mmmmmmm Scooby!
User Number: 5179

I've been waiting for those pics for years tongue

SOLD: The Wife's 2005 9-2X Aero, 4EAT, Midnight Black Mica
SOLD: 2005 9-2X Aero, Manual, Arctic Silver, 2.1 Stroker
SOLD: 2005 9-2X Aero. Desert Silver, 5 speed

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.