saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2005-06-28 21:19:28

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

Re: Detonation *Everyone Read* - Discus

torifile wrote:

English, please? I'm seriously lost about even what "detonation" IS much less why I should worry about it. I read the posts here that summarized the problem but I'm still not sure what the issue really is.

In short, detonation, AKA engine knock and pinging, is premature air/fuel ignition (usually not from the spark plug) that occurs before the piston starts to head in a downward stroke (the power stroke which moves your car).  Because the piston is still moving up or is close to TDC (top dead center) in the stroke, the premature ignition puts large stresses on the piston, wrist pin, piston rod, crank shaft, etc.  If it happens enough times with enough severity, you will punch a hole or crack the piston or damage other affected parts.

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2005-06-28 21:25:55

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter
User Number: 39

eurospeed wrote:

torifile wrote:

English, please? I'm seriously lost about even what "detonation" IS much less why I should worry about it. I read the posts here that summarized the problem but I'm still not sure what the issue really is.

In short, detonation, AKA engine knock and pinging, is premature air/fuel ignition (usually not from the spark plug) that occurs before the piston starts to head in a downward stroke (the power stroke which moves your car).  Because the piston is still moving up or is close to TDC (top dead center) in the stroke, the premature ignition puts large stresses on the piston, wrist pin, piston rod, crank shaft, etc.  If it happens enough times with enough severity, you will punch a hole or crack the piston or damage other affected parts.

So how come we don't have hundreds of blown up Subaru engines on the floor of our shop?  http://images.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Not trying to be flippant - just seriously confused.

Park Cities Performance Center
www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#28 2005-06-28 21:33:58

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter

tordiway wrote:

So how come we don't have hundreds of blown up Subaru engines on the floor of our shop?  http://images.nasioc.com/forums/images/ … nfused.gif

Not trying to be flippant - just seriously confused.

I can't answer that...I'm just going by the massive thread from NASIOC.  There seem to be more than a few people sharing notes and what appears to be empirical evidence of the occurences.  Perhaps there's a bit of drama, but I wouldn't turn a blind eye to it either.

#29 2005-06-28 23:39:04

joefrompa
User Number: 214

Detonation is a normal part of the life of just about any car. It happens from a variety of reasons: poor state of tune, poor fuel, bad environmental conditions, etc.

It is when the air/fuel mixture ignites at the incorrect time (not when the engine wants it to). It sounds like a ping, or bang, or bunch of marbles rattling around in the engine because it's basically an explosion with nowhere to go against a bunch of metal in a way it wasn't designed to handle.

In normally aspirated engines, it creates a force equal to the pressures it is under (compression ratio, positions of the internals when ignition occurs, etc.) and while not good, a few knocks (detonations) will not really harm anything. It happens, you try to prevent it from happening though.

In a turbo car, under full boost, you are at a very high state of compression....and the resulting detonations that can occur are typically that much more severe. Detonation can ruin your ability to maintain compression in the cylinder chamber, score the cylinder walls, crack pistons, etc. etc. Or it can do nothing....but it's more likely to damage something in a turbocharged (or super charged) engine.

I would say you don't have tons of blown up engines for several reasons: It doesn't happen to all subaru engines, alot of people who have subarus aren't WOT enough for it to incur serious damage....though this engine has only been out since 2002...., those who do drive it hard tend to know what to listen for or tend to go towards EM anyway...

So it does cut down a lot on the amount of actually destroyed engines out there.

That being said, how many engines are running low compression because of lots of detonation? I don't know....

9-2x Arctic Silver Aero 5-spd. 20% tint all around. 7000+ miles...20mm Rear Sway Bar sitting in a garage waiting for time to install

#30 2005-06-28 23:47:32

WRXVT
Saabaru Guru
User Number: 297

has anyone else on this thread experienced detonation - and if so was it with 93 oct?  The gentleman that said he had experienced detonation 3 times in the saab was on 91 oct. gas.  I'm just trying to see if this is actually happening to our saabs as well.

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
5MT, DSM, SP, CWP
2005 Subaru 2.5RS
4Eat, Black

#31 2005-06-29 00:28:01

akaryrye
Enthusiast
User Number: 70

Joe, you beat me to it smile sounds like you know more about it than i do but ill leave mine up anyway

What I wrote was merely a summary of what was written on the thread that is linked at the top of the page, since most people do not want to sift through 18 pages of redundant information.  I read almost all of it and probably all of the pertanant information.  I myself can testify that my car does indeed experience knock at times and i dont like it one bit, so It was in my best interest to read that thread.

Ok so what is Detonation?

Detonation is basically when the air and fuel mixture that enters the engine ignites before it is supposed to due to heat and pressure.  I dont know all of what exactly happens, but i know it is not good.  I think the cylinder can hit the valves, warping of the cylinder walls and head due to unven and rapid heat and other stuff, but dont quote me on that just know it is not good and over time will cause damage to the engine.  Detonation is often reffered to as a ping or a knock, depending on how severe it is.  On my last car, i heard it ping a few times and it sounded like pitchforks being hit real fast and it was pretty quiet.  I have heard it on the Aero and it sounded like a crackling, that would be considered a knock I believe.  The reason that you need more fuel in the cylinder when the pressure is increased is because it helps keep it cool until its time to spark it, i just know that a lean (more air / less fuel) mixture creates more heat and a higher potential for knocking and pinging.

Once again, if i am wrong about anything do not hesitate to correct me, I dont want to spread misinformation on this forum

Last edited by akaryrye (2005-06-29 00:31:13)

Red 1990 Miata - squirted n' sparked, gt2554 turbo
Black 1997 Miata - basically stock ... needs a bath

#32 2005-06-29 00:32:42

owl
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 12

perhaps this detonation was the cause for the guy earlier on in this forum who posted about blowing his engine so early on...  this is the guy who was racing his car in the desert or something like that...

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-sp-Deep Blue Mica-Premium/Cold|AP@Stage 2 tuned(206whp/224wtq)
2012 Mazda 2
2001 Porsche Boxster

#33 2005-06-29 00:34:44

akaryrye
Enthusiast

WRXVT wrote:

has anyone else on this thread experienced detonation - and if so was it with 93 oct?  The gentleman that said he had experienced detonation 3 times in the saab was on 91 oct. gas.  I'm just trying to see if this is actually happening to our saabs as well.

I want to add to this that as I recall, each time it happened, I had just filled up my tank.  I dont know if that has anything to do with it though.

#34 2005-06-29 00:42:17

Zem
User Number: 344

The reason for why you want to be rich to cool stuff down is.... well, ok, it's kinda complicated. Here's the short version - Stoich combustion happens around 14.5:1. You get CO2 and H2O as combustion products. That's good for the environment, it's reasonably cool exhaust... but it's not power. You want 12.5:1. That will get you the maximum power. It's rich, it's putting in more fuel than can burn completely. Why? Because incomplete combustion (producting CO) is hot, damn hot. There are more moles after combustion this way, and they take less energy to heat up. This would make our cars explode, but it's great for NA. We have to run more rich than that under boost. The extra fuel gets off that peak of hot exhaust by having a few big molecules hanging around to suck up some heat.

See, CO2 has 2 bonds. Those two bonds can store energy. So if you put in energy, it will store a lot of that energy in bonds and not that much will result in an increase in temperature. CO, on the other hand, only has the one bond in which to store energy before you see an increase in temperature. That's the heat capacity of the molecules.

I haven't read everything in this thread, so I don't know if I'm contradicting anyone, but this is a great article about detonation and preignition. It's long, but it's not a series of posts... it's a long article.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14426

#35 2005-06-29 08:18:34

WRXVT
Saabaru Guru

FYI according to Trey Cobb, the 9-2x he looked at had a 2005 ECU

site:
http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimat … 501#000000

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
5MT, DSM, SP, CWP
2005 Subaru 2.5RS
4Eat, Black

#36 2005-06-29 08:25:41

heathbar
Go Gators
User Number: 275

sorry, so just to clarify, does the Cobb AP fix this hypothetical problem that these stock WRXs and 92xs are having?

Last edited by heathbar (2005-06-29 08:56:08)

Zipcar Aficionado

2005 Black Aero SOLD

#37 2005-06-29 08:27:07

WRXVT
Saabaru Guru

^From what I've read, yes

2005 Saab 9-2X Aero
5MT, DSM, SP, CWP
2005 Subaru 2.5RS
4Eat, Black

#38 2005-06-29 08:57:46

talo
User Number: 141

the is a stealth story started by someone at Cobb to help sell more APs smile

Artic Silver Aero w/ Cold and Premium
---------------------------------------------
Cobb AP, Turbo XS Stealthback, Cobb Anti-Sway, Lloyds Ultra Plus Mats, "350F Block-It" Car Cover, FilterMag, German Castrol (GC), Prodrive PPF7 Anthracite, Hankook RS2 225/18/40, Valentine One v1.8, Lidatek LE30, Black Calipers, LaserShield Plate Cover, Saab 92x License Plate Frame, McGard Lugs and Lock

#39 2005-06-29 09:02:27

heathbar
Go Gators
User Number: 275

well, i was thinking about it anyways...  wink

now, i better get an AP before my car blows up!  lol

Last edited by heathbar (2005-06-29 09:04:23)

Zipcar Aficionado

2005 Black Aero SOLD

#40 2005-06-29 09:16:01

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter

owl wrote:

perhaps this detonation was the cause for the guy earlier on in this forum who posted about blowing his engine so early on...  this is the guy who was racing his car in the desert or something like that...

You mean spiff?  I'm fairly certain the engine failure was on a Linear and not an Aero.

#41 2005-06-29 09:16:59

argylesocks
No.13 Baby
User Number: 182

WRXVT wrote:

FYI according to Trey Cobb, the 9-2x he looked at had a 2005 ECU

site:
http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimat … 501#000000

"cobb tunes subarus, not saab's"
thats a quote from an apparent Cobb employee.

kinda scary if he really didnt know that the AP is being advertised for use on the 92x

of course a few lines down Trey clears things up..  but still......

#42 2005-06-29 09:53:39

Anand
The Dude Abides
User Number: 113

I took that to mean that Cobb doesn't make any guarantees on the Saab.  Kind of a CYA.

2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

#43 2005-06-29 10:09:53

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter

athakur999 wrote:

I took that to mean that Cobb doesn't make any guarantees on the Saab.  Kind of a CYA.

I took it to mean that the employee who made that remark had not seen a 92x in their shop (and for all we know didn't even know what one was).  That quote was back in April, remember.  A hell of a lot has happened with the 92x in the last 60 + days.

www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#44 2005-06-29 10:10:51

PCPCDALLAS
Beloved Sponsor
Supporter

talo wrote:

the is a stealth story started by someone at Cobb to help sell more APs smile

I think it's an Urban Legend.  lol

www.pcpcdallas.com
214-420-4425

#45 2005-06-29 11:15:29

owl
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 12

eurospeed wrote:

owl wrote:

You mean spiff?  I'm fairly certain the engine failure was on a Linear and not an Aero.

wow, I'm surprised an enthusiast like spiff (at least from how he described his driving style) would have gotten a linear

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-sp-Deep Blue Mica-Premium/Cold|AP@Stage 2 tuned(206whp/224wtq)
2012 Mazda 2
2001 Porsche Boxster

#46 2005-06-29 16:14:56

akaryrye
Enthusiast

The fact that this all might be a bullshit story has crossed my mind, but it is still definitely something to look in to.  Weather it is true or false could easily be researched and with all the people who confirm the condition I am of the mind that it is not.  It is probably not as bad as it has been made out to be (i made it sound pretty bad) but it is also not a good thing either

#47 2005-06-29 16:48:35

joefrompa
User Number: 214

Just listen to your car....is it detonating under continuous WOT ever?

If it's not...then you probably don't have to worry too much about this...

if it is...bitch and moan until they give you a STI engine....lol smile

9-2x Arctic Silver Aero 5-spd. 20% tint all around. 7000+ miles...20mm Rear Sway Bar sitting in a garage waiting for time to install

#48 2005-06-29 23:51:03

MaxPower
The wrong way, but faster.
User Number: 132

joefrompa wrote:

Just listen to your car....is it detonating under continuous WOT ever?

If it's not...then you probably don't have to worry too much about this...

if it is...bitch and moan until they give you a STI engine....lol smile

Well, I think that's part of the problem - your engine can experience detonation and you might never know it. Road/engine noise may drown it out (especially under WOT), the driver may not know what to listen for, or the pings may actually be inaudible. Several posters - i.e. the OP - maintain that the condition causing the problem exists in ALL MY04-05 WRXs (that condition being programming designed to help the cars comply with the EPA tier 2 regs, leading to the 2 second delay before enrichment). Surely if the programming was intentional, it's on all the ECUs.

What's completely unclear is how much damage - if any - the condition actually causes. Engines are built to withstand a certain amount of knock. Turbo engines are more likely to be harmed, but until someone actually blows an engine - something yet to be mentioned in that entire thread - it's unclear what kind of risk there is. Of course, all affected cars are MY04 or newer, so they may all be too new to have experienced enough cumulative detonation to destroy them. Time will tell.

No, I'm no expert on this stuff, but I did read that entire thread. Cue Alka-Seltzer music: I can't believe I read the whole thing.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5spd - Deep Blue Mica - Premium/Cold
Armrest extension/MOMO knob/rear cupholder/trunk tray/Saab door sills

#49 2005-07-01 06:53:13

mbadd
User Number: 368

Here's my story:

Two days after I bought mine 2 weeks ago I experienced a big bang. I was running on the 1st tank of gas the dealer provided. Only God knows it could have been 87 octane. I was shifting into second gear and I thought something happened to the tranny. It was an extremely loud bang. Prior to that I experienced a hesitation between 3d and 4th gear as the turbo was spooling up. I went and filled up with 91 octane immediately and the hesitation went away and didn't experience the big bang anymore..thank goodness. The bang really did sound like something blew up.

I will soon be getting the Cobb Accessport !!

#50 2005-07-01 08:06:00

Snaab9-2
Your Arms Off
User Number: 283

mbadd wrote:

Here's my story:

I was shifting into second gear and I thought something happened to the tranny. It was an extremely loud bang.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr … did=587096

"When I shift from 1st to 2nd, there is a thump sound coming from the rear end of the car. What causes this? The thump is the rear differential hitting either the cross member or the bottom of your car. This is caused by driveline shock due to aggressive driving and shifting. This type of driveline shock is a direct result of maximum acceleration. A thump from the rear end can occur with any shift, but most commonly occurs during the 1-2 shift due to it having the greatest internal transmission speed differential between first and second gear."

It may have been this.  I did it once during the test drive from 1-2 and I did it in my car yesterday in the 2-3 shift.

I was use to bang shifts off really quickly in my 5.0 when I had it.... but from everything I read this is a bad idea in an AWD car. embeer

05 Red SAAB 9-2 Aero 5 Speed: AP Stage 2 93 - FHI 20mm Rear Sway Bar - Stromung Shorty DP - STI UP - STI Axle Back

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.