saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2006-03-26 16:08:26

macberry
My other car has two wheels
Supporter
User Number: 410

OK iPod solution - Griffin RoadTrip

I had a $40 credit at the Apple Store and decided to try the Griffin RoadTrip so I could listen to my iPod in my car.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/roadtrip/

I know, I know ... it's an FM transmitter so it's not going to be high quality audio.  Eventually I plan to upgreade the entire stock stereo to an Alpine 9857 head unit, iPod FullSpeed, and probably Alpine speakers and maybe an amp too.  But that's a little bit down the road and I wanted to be able to listen to my iPod now.

I got the RoadTrip because it's an all-in-one FM transmitter/iPod holder/charger and because it comes in a darkish gray (better match with my black iPod and looks better in the car instead of white).  Plugs right into the cigarette lighter and I've got the arm adjusted to it's slightly offset to the left and doesn't interfere with the shifter.  It does block the vent control, but since I pretty much put all the climate control stuff on automatic it's not a big deal for me.  A lot of people think the DLO Transpod is a more "elegant" solution as a 3-in-1 unit than the RoadTrip, but I'm happy enough with the RoadTrip.  Here's a pic (shifter is in first gear):

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5712/dscf00061pl.th.jpg

I'm still fooling around with finding the best FM station to use.  The tuner range is 88.1 to 107.9.  I wish it would tune below 88.1 because 87.7 and 87.9 are usually empty stations everywhere (if anyone knows if there's a way to get it to tune 87.7 or 87.9 on the RoadTrip, please let me know).  So far, the sound is decent enough for listening to music while driving, but certainly not going to blow anyone away.  Actually, it's probably about "right" considering the quality of the stock stereo.  For my short drive to/from work, it'll do just fine until I can find the $$$ to upgrade the whole stereo.

The one weakness of going the FM transmitter route is that it's clearly not the greatest for listening to jazz or any other music that has soft passages because you can't completely eliminate static.  Not really noticeable at low volume levels, but you can hear it at anything above moderate volume.  Maybe it's because I haven't found the right/best FM station to use yet?

All in all, it'a pretty convenient set-up.  The controls for the FM transmitter and the iPod are all in about the right place.  Not exactly cheap ($89.99 MSRP) but I had to use my Apple Store credit for something.  And a lot cheaper than buying a whole new car stereo.  Like I said, it'll do for now.

P.S.  The thing covering my screen is the "floating" screen protector from my Speck ToughSkin http://www.speckproducts.com/vid-toughskin.html  I have to take the ToughSkin off to mount the iPod in in the RoadTrip (I wish I didn't have to, but it's only a minor inconvenience) and the screen protector just stays stuck to the iPod (it has a rubber gasket so that the screen protector doesn't touch the screen).

Last edited by chuck92ex (2006-03-26 17:53:29)

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2006-03-26 16:59:54

parker
User Number: 149

Re: OK iPod solution - Griffin RoadTrip

I've been happy with my RoadTrip+ which charges my iPod, and uses the dock connection instead of the headphone connection for audio output. This thing only transmits on one frequency, 87.9, but that seems to be a good one (no stations transmit on or near that frequency in most of the country). For under $30 I can't complain.

2005 9-2x Aero (Arctic Silver) MT/Cold

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.