saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2006-03-15 00:26:23

jcinxtc5
User Number: 512

Headlight Wiring Mods - DRL/Parking/Fogs

I finally finished documenting the mods I made to the way the various lights work on my car:

- Turn DRLs OFF when Parking Lights are ON.
- Enable Fog Lights when Parking Lights are ON rather than Headlights.

Also, I implemented the one-touch Unlock. 

Here are my documented procedures:  http://home.comcast.net/~magredc5/Headlight_Mods.pdf

Here's the finished look with Parking Lights w/ Fogs ON.

http://home.comcast.net/~magredc5/Saab_Headlights_Parking_w_Fogs.jpg

'05 saab92x Linear
AT and Cold Package

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2006-03-15 12:51:39

john_matrix
Administrator
SupporterModerator
User Number: 168

Re: Headlight Wiring Mods - DRL/Parking/Fogs

thanks for the info now I can do mine.

Couldn't find the right wire before. banghead

#3 2006-03-15 13:21:09

Anand
The Dude Abides
User Number: 113

Very nice write up!  Fog lights w/ parking lights sounds like a good mod.  I'm too chicken to mess with the wiring though  lol

2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

#4 2006-04-24 03:30:44

VeeDub
User Number: 1112

What is the minimum wire gauge should I use to make the new "red" connection between the fog relay and switch in the diy pdf?

9-2x EJ253 4EAT | MBM +cold weather +sunroof | armrest ext | DRL off | Micro DE fogs | 4300K HID |

#5 2006-04-24 09:19:47

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

VeeDub wrote:

What is the minimum wire gauge should I use to make the new "red" connection between the fog relay and switch in the diy pdf?

It's only triggering a relay, so 18 AWG should be way more than adequate.

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#6 2006-04-24 18:13:57

VeeDub

Thanks Scargo.
I have 20 something feet of 20 guage wire leftover. you think 20 guage is ok? if not, anyone know where i can buy wire in short length? I bought the 20 guage in napa before and shortest they have is 50 feet.

9-2x EJ253 4EAT | MBM +cold weather +sunroof | armrest ext | DRL off | Micro DE fogs | 4300K HID |

#7 2006-04-24 18:44:14

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 17

20 gauge is good to about 1.5 amps.  If it is a standard automotive relay 20 gauge should be sufficient.

#8 2006-04-24 22:19:03

Scargo
Supporter

tonka92x wrote:

20 gauge is good to about 1.5 amps.  If it is a standard automotive relay 20 gauge should be sufficient.

Agreed, a relay might use between 200 mA to 500 mA, tops. 20 ga is fine.

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#9 2006-04-25 02:22:08

VeeDub

up thanks! great info! I am good to go  up

#10 2006-04-25 05:58:58

mainer
User Number: 144

This is great; thanks for the fine documentation.  One samll point, do the foggies stay on w the high beams as well?

Thanks again.

05 Aero w/ cold & sport, Satin Gray, winter mods w Nokian Hakka WR's; Pirelli P-Zero Nero's for 3 seasons; KYB-AGX's; 20mm FHI RSB w Helix endlinks

#11 2006-04-25 08:26:05

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
User Number: 1
Website

I disabled DRL by unplugging the connector behind the glovebox a long time ago; if I do the foglight on w/ parking light mod, do I have to re-connect this plug?

Additionally, I got some of these "18ga to 14ga taps" where you put in both of the wires you want to connect and then squeeze it together with pliers and it cuts the insulation and makes the connection; if I get some 14ga wire I can use these just fine, correct? 14ga wire is OK for these mods or should use smaller gauge?

#12 2006-04-25 19:08:26

Scargo
Supporter

iota wrote:

I disabled DRL by unplugging the connector behind the glovebox a long time ago; if I do the foglight on w/ parking light mod, do I have to re-connect this plug?

Additionally, I got some of these "18ga to 14ga taps" where you put in both of the wires you want to connect and then squeeze it together with pliers and it cuts the insulation and makes the connection; if I get some 14ga wire I can use these just fine, correct? 14ga wire is OK for these mods or should use smaller gauge?

It's mearly a jumper to trigger the foggy relay. So, anything larger than 20 ga ought to be fine.

FWIW, those taps aren't the greatest thing for wiring (although I did it, lol) as they do end up breaking strands and eventually will become potentially an intermittent. Of course that is only an issue if you plan to keep the car for like-evar, like I've tended to do with my Audi's.

Oh, and yes, the fogs do end up staying on with the highbeams. I'd like to find a NC relay that I can use to drop the fogs when the Highbeams are triggered (use the HB trigger line), just haven't had the time to do this. Or even to buy fogs that are worth it, the factory ones are crap. I found some decent Hella's that should actually fill the factory openings, but timewise, it's not on the horizon for awhile.

Scargo

#13 2006-04-25 19:42:45

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

Going with larger gauge (lower number) wire is seldom an electrical problem, but it can sometimes make routing the wire more difficult due to the larger size of the wire.

I dislike those vampire style splices, but there are, admittedly, few ways to splice into an existing wire reliably.  I've seen too many intermittent connections and broken wires caused by the splices to recommend them.  It's actually more reliable to cut the wire and splice in the new wire, tying all three connections together with a butt splice.  In typical automotive applications there is seldom enough extra wire to do this, however. These Molex IDC connectors (items I & J) swork pretty well as they provide more support around the wire than the 3M ones do, but you will have to add a connector to the new wire to make them work.  Just make sure you put either style connector in a straight, supported section of the wire.

#14 2006-04-25 20:16:01

Scargo
Supporter

Tonka's right, for a long lasting connection (as I said) those Vampire Taps kind of suck. The Molex mod is quite good, and if you're REAL good at soldering (most of us aren't) it's a possibility, but many will state that military grade splices are only of the crimp type.

BTW, there is plenty of room to do this particular splice, so using 14 ga won't be a problem for this app.

Scargo

#15 2006-04-25 21:18:03

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
User Number: 1
Website

i've got 12ga and 24ga wire now, guess i should buy some more

#16 2006-04-25 21:25:11

Scargo
Supporter

Get your wiring from McMaster-Carr, or Radio Shack if only a bit needed. Most other wiring is meant for housing (as in Home Desparate or Blowes) which is not of fine enough strand to hold up to the vibration of an automobile. At least in my old home of suburban NYC, the wiring availible from most of the stereo install shops also sucked, low strand count (can't recall the recommended number of strands per gauge). The McMaster-Carr electronic hook up wire is the right stuff. They also have the Molux connectors Topher recommended.

Scargo

#17 2006-04-25 22:03:01

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

What you are looking for is type MTW stranded wire, UL 1007/1569 300 VAC wire.  This is good general purpose wire with a PVC insulation.  It is available is several colors.  Make sure you get the stranded wire, not the solid.

For auto only use, if you can find irradiated MTW wire, UL 1429 150 VAC, it works very well.  It has a slightly thinner insulation jacket, but has a wider temperature range and a tougher insulation than standard MTW wire.

You do not want the 600 VAC rated MTW wire.  It's good stuff, but it has a very heavy insulation jacket that makes it harder to route and often the insulation is too thick to fit in the solderless crimp-on terminals.

#18 2006-04-26 02:07:27

mainer
User Number: 144

FYI, West Marine and many other boat suppliers sell a good range of guages of wire by the foot. It's especially good for use in the engine compartment as the conductive part of the wire is tinned (won't corrode easily).

05 Aero w/ cold & sport, Satin Gray, winter mods w Nokian Hakka WR's; Pirelli P-Zero Nero's for 3 seasons; KYB-AGX's; 20mm FHI RSB w Helix endlinks

#19 2006-04-26 19:29:46

tonka92x
Supporter
Supporter

Good tip on the West Marine wire.  You might want to get it sometime soon - RoHS compliance is going to make a lot of pre-tinned wire unobtainable, and there is growing concern that there may be longterm durability problems with RoHS compliant PVC insulation.  Seems lead is used with conventional PVC insulation to make it flexible.

#20 2006-04-26 21:53:13

ikkue
I the King of Fart Can!
Supporter
User Number: 501
Website

up

2005 Satin Gray AERO MT
Cobb AccessPort Stage 2/HKS Hi-Power Exhaust/Helix Catted Downpipe/Subaru Sti Uppipe/Cobb Turbo Heatshield /17" BBS RK /Pioneer AVIC D1 / Sylvania SilverStar H1/DupliColor Caliper Paint/35-20 Ceremic Tints/Cobra Radar Detector/DRL Disabled Mod/Silencer Delete Mod/Custom 2.0T Badge/OEM Rear Cupholder/Michigan License Plates (GO BLUE!)/IXIZShift II

#21 2006-04-27 12:45:37

jcinxtc5

mainer wrote:

This is great; thanks for the fine documentation.  One samll point, do the foggies stay on w the high beams as well?

Thanks again.

No, the fogs work as per Saab design and turn OFF when the high beams are ON, either via Flash to Pass or High. 

There is a simple mod you can do to let the fogs stay on with the high beams that I just didn't bother to do.  The Yellow wire (Pin 5) on the fog switch is connected to the Dimmer/Passing switch and then to ground, and the Dimmer/Passing switch opens the ground circuit when the Highs are ON, so the Fog Relay has no ground and hence is turned OFF.  By simply cutting the yellow wire on the fog switch and connecting the switch end of it directly to a ground, the fogs will stay on regardless of the highs.

'05 saab92x Linear
AT and Cold Package

#22 2006-05-08 20:27:29

AbACUZ
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 839
Website

number of strands per guage ???  roll  Geessshh .. just do the darnn mod man .. i used a paperclicp and a chewing gum wraper ..

#23 2006-05-08 20:38:12

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

AbACUZ wrote:

number of strands per guage ???  roll  Geessshh .. just do the darnn mod man .. i used a paperclicp and a chewing gum wraper ..

Shut it, MacGyver.  tongue

#24 2006-05-17 19:33:19

VeeDub

I just did the "DRL off with AT not in Park" mod. When followwing the PDF instruction provided by jcinxtc5, I used the relay that came with the Hella Micro DE package, and the wires I used is about 18 awg. When splicing the wire from the relay to the glove box light wires, I used "vampire splice" thing.

my final product is: 1. no DRL when AT at Park, R, N, D...etc. (seems different than the pdf) 2. no DRL regardless of E-brake position(which is according to the PDF...right?). 3. fog lights operate as the pdf says, no at parking light or at low beam position.

the only thing seems odd is #1 result. I was hoping the DRL could still be on at R, N, D...etc AT position.
I double checked the terminals on the relay. they all look connected accordingly. btw, the hella relay has a schematic inprinted on the relay so it's really easy to follow the terminals. plus, I checked all the wire tapping points, and all look fine.

any suggestion? or this is what it's supposed to be?
my gf prefers keeping the DRL on at normal driving condition.....not being sexist buy you know how most girls are lazy and careless when it comes to cars.

EDIT: at the DRL module, I don't see any number labeling the terminals. There's only one solid green wire. all the other wires are either solid black, yellow, strips of green and other colors. So I pick the solid green one. is that the one connect to pin 6 as Lg?

Last edited by VeeDub (2006-05-17 19:48:52)

#25 2006-05-17 23:53:12

jcinxtc5

VeeDub wrote:

I just did the "DRL off with AT not in Park" mod. When followwing the PDF instruction provided by jcinxtc5, I used the relay that came with the Hella Micro DE package, and the wires I used is about 18 awg. When splicing the wire from the relay to the glove box light wires, I used "vampire splice" thing.

my final product is: 1. no DRL when AT at Park, R, N, D...etc. (seems different than the pdf) 2. no DRL regardless of E-brake position(which is according to the PDF...right?). 3. fog lights operate as the pdf says, no at parking light or at low beam position.

the only thing seems odd is #1 result. I was hoping the DRL could still be on at R, N, D...etc AT position.
I double checked the terminals on the relay. they all look connected accordingly. btw, the hella relay has a schematic inprinted on the relay so it's really easy to follow the terminals. plus, I checked all the wire tapping points, and all look fine.

any suggestion? or this is what it's supposed to be?
my gf prefers keeping the DRL on at normal driving condition.....not being sexist buy you know how most girls are lazy and careless when it comes to cars.

EDIT: at the DRL module, I don't see any number labeling the terminals. There's only one solid green wire. all the other wires are either solid black, yellow, strips of green and other colors. So I pick the solid green one. is that the one connect to pin 6 as Lg?

VeeDub:

The mod should not change the DRL operation related to the transmission, i.e. DRLs should be ON when the tranny is out of Park.  The DRLs will only go OFF when the parking lights are ON.

The likely reason is that you hooked up the relay incorrectly and Pin 6 on the DRL module is now permanently grounded so the DRLs are off.

I also used the Hella relay and if you look on the relay housing you should see the pins numbered.  In the Hella instructions, they are numbered 30, 85, 86, and 87.  If I recall correctly you should see those numbers (real small) on the relay next to the pins.  If you use the wires that came with the relay, the green (relay pin 87)and black (relay pin 85) will be connected to glove box light ground, the yellow (relay pin 86) to the glove box power, and the red (relay pin 30) to DRL pin 6 which should be solid light green.  The Dark Green is the wrong one (Pin 5).  DRL Pin 6 is on opposite corner of the connector, next to the Green with Black Stripe.

Last edited by jcinxtc5 (2006-05-18 00:04:29)

'05 saab92x Linear
AT and Cold Package

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.