saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2013-06-24 11:29:43

BlkSaabaru4Me
Monkey W/ Wrench
User Number: 5379

Re: Question About Oil (Keep your brand name out!)

WDEagle wrote:

WDEagle wrote:

We run Mobile 1 10w30 year round in our  saab  92x  with changes every 5K miles.  We are now just shy of 160,000 miles

Update: I check the oil level on the  92x "religiously" every Sunday.   I may have added oil (outside of regular changes) once or twice in 8 years.  Our car just doesn't use oil.

Thanks man. I'm hoping I get to 160K with no major problems.

Side Note/Horror Story: My girlfriend drives a 2008 Mazda CX-7 and after a little research I discover that her car is a bit more interesting than I initially thought as it shares the same motor as the MazdaSpeed 3 with only a slightly different turbo. It makes a respectable 258 ft. lbs/ 244 hp w/ AWD and a 6-speed shiftable automatic. She grew up inadvertently being taught to stay hands-off with her car and was very hesitant to let me touch it in anyway for a long time until recently when she saw her oil light flashing on and off. I took her to Autozone to buy some oil and a new oil filter for her car to do an oil change. I find out that it requires a special oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter (paper type) without damaging it. While doing this I notice that I can't get an oil reading on the dipstick. confused I add almost 4 liters of a 5.1L jug of oil before it ever registers as low on the dipstick.  facepalm

I tried to stress to her how  alot important it was to keep the proper amount of oil (or at least some) in a turbo charged car. Her reply of course was "my car has a turbo, what is that?"..... sadbanana

Last edited by BlkSaabaru4Me (2013-06-24 15:34:56)

Black 05' Aero - 5MT - Cold - Current DD 
Cobb Protune, VF-48, 850cc, turbo inlet, 3-port EBCS, SPT w/ Shield,  3" DP, STi UP, STi Cat-back, STi TMIC w/ diffuser, GS BMCB, Kartboy SS+ bushings,
Whiteline (22)FSB/(24)RSB, Whiteline RSTB w/ quick release, IXIZ HD, IXIZ PSP, STi 11mm Oil pump, Gates Racing TB, STi shift knob, WRX 17x8 w/ 225/45

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2013-06-24 14:59:30

2JZ
User Number: 5647

WDEagle wrote:

WDEagle wrote:

We run Mobile 1 10w30 year round in our  saab  92x  with changes every 5K miles.  We are now just shy of 160,000 miles

Update: I check the oil level on the  92x "religiously" every Sunday.   I may have added oil (outside of regular changes) once or twice in 8 years.  Our car just doesn't use oil.

Try going to autocross and update us on your oil level.

2003 Subaru STi EJ207/6MT widebody wagon (daily driver)
1997 BMW 328is (racecar)
2005 Saab 9-2x STi 6MT
2006 Saab 9-2x Linear 5MT

#28 2013-06-24 15:07:57

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

arrow-up  I don't use any oil at Autocrosses.   HPDEs will use oil, but high RPM use is much more sustained there.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#29 2013-06-27 01:48:37

JimboUS
User Number: 952

If you want some excellent protection for your engine use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lubro-Moly-MoS2-A … amp;sr=8-1

Just add half the can every other oil change, no need to use more.

It's made in Germany like the German Castrol and both are the best there is.
If you're ever going to use an oil additive, this is it!

This is also excellent from the same German company but it costs 3X more:

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-Cera-T … im_auto_11

I haven't tried this one.

Last edited by JimboUS (2013-06-27 02:23:15)

#30 2013-06-27 11:43:55

Cobalt905
User Number: 7774

I don't like the idea of oil additives. You're taking the extensive research of the oil manufacturer and throwing it all out the window. I can guarantee you whatever oil you use has been engineered for a balance of lubrication, wear protection, resistance to shearing forces, and a hundred other factors. They adjust all the compounds in the oil to optimize all the factors. Adding more molybdenum and who-knows-what-else to this already-optimized motor oil isn't going to improve it's performance.

If you have a high-performance engine, use a high-performance motor oil. If you have a high mileage engine, use a high mileage oil. On the rare chance you have something really unique, like a Model T, you could be justified in using oil additives, but I would still run off-the-shelf oil of the correct viscosity.

That's my opinion; you're free to do whatever you want.

So far I have learned nothing. But that's probably as much my fault as yours.

#31 2013-06-27 12:15:30

Augie
User Number: 3426

Cobalt905 wrote:

If you have a high-performance engine, use a high-performance motor oil. If you have a high mileage engine, use a high mileage oil. On the rare chance you have something really unique, like a Model T, you could be justified in using oil additives, but I would still run off-the-shelf oil of the correct viscosity.

Dad has a model T. After the rebuild all has used is Mobil one 0w40 for the last 8 years

05' Saab 92x Aero OBP Standard Stage 2
Yes, some mod messed with my profile and Im cranky because of the passive aggressive nature of this

#32 2013-06-27 13:18:49

JimboUS
User Number: 952

Cobalt905 wrote:

I don't like the idea of oil additives. You're taking the extensive research of the oil manufacturer and throwing it all out the window. I can guarantee you whatever oil you use has been engineered for a balance of lubrication, wear protection, resistance to shearing forces, and a hundred other factors. They adjust all the compounds in the oil to optimize all the factors. Adding more molybdenum and who-knows-what-else to this already-optimized motor oil isn't going to improve it's performance.

That was my stand too. I thought additives were a waste of $.
But for the past couple of oil changes I've used the MoS2 and the engine runs noticeably smoother than before.  I've been using German Castrol after the first two dino oil changes.
I don't think adding half a can of MoS2 every other oil change will hurt anything, and at the very least you may get a smoother running engine after a few hundred miles, and in the long run it may save you $.

In a perfectly "already-optimized" world you are right.
But this is not the case with most drivers and their engines, as has been shown with countless UOA results.
If you trade-in the car every 3-5 years, or even 7 years, using German Castrol or MoS2 is pointless for you and a waste of $.  If you've been using them it'll be of benefit to the next owner.
Starting to use high mileage oil when the engine reaches high mileage is foolish, in my humble opinion.  It falls in the "too little, too late" category.  If you plan on keeping a car to a high mileage point and beyond you've got to start taking care of things early.
If you plan on keeping the car 10 years or more and put 15K-20K per year then using the above will help.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.