saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
  • Home
  •  » Car Talk
  •  » F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

#26 2012-05-09 19:00:19

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
From: Taterville
Registered: 2007-06-19
User Number: 2114
Posts: 8157
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

huckleberry wrote:

Shit.  Didn't see the budget. 
Why not just keep the car you have and add a cargo box or something?

Nothing we own will fit the baby, us, and the dogs.  The element is close, but no good for anything more than an hour or so.

I've looked at the Mazda 5, but it's small and doesn't have a folding 3rd row.  The more I look the more it seems the Odyssey is the only choice.  The Astro doesn't get good enough mileage and I'm just not a huge fan.  Plus the wife said hell no.  I don't really want anything domestic so the Caravan/Town & Country is out.  And since it's a van I can't say I'm really worried about handling.  Slow and slushy...

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#27 2012-05-09 20:31:15

AspenMike
Thirsty Dog
Supporter
From: Aspen, CO
Registered: 2007-02-27
User Number: 1858
Posts: 3783

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

Is the third seat in the Mazda 5 removable?


"When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem."  Edward Abbey

Offline

 

#28 2012-05-09 21:42:18

-B-
Dismember
From: Delaware
Registered: 2011-08-05
User Number: 5813
Posts: 1454

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

AspenMike wrote:

Is the third seat in the Mazda 5 removable?

For some reason I think they fold into or level with the floor....I'm not 100% positive on that though.

Offline

 

#29 2012-05-10 10:28:22

apexanimal
Supporter
Supporter
From: Comstock Park, MI
Registered: 2008-04-14
User Number: 2699
Posts: 1427

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

-B- wrote:

AspenMike wrote:

Is the third seat in the Mazda 5 removable?

For some reason I think they fold into or level with the floor....I'm not 100% positive on that though.

i was about to say... the mazda5's i drove the 3rd row was foldflat... and i'm sure you could remove them if so inclined...


DO RESEARCH.
'01 Mazda Miata
'08 Honda Fit

Offline

 

#30 2012-05-10 10:47:50

cjaama
Member
From: albany, ny
Registered: 2007-03-09
User Number: 1885
Posts: 1100

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

the 5's are definitely the most stylish option in my opinion, i'm just not convinced they're big enough to do what he needs it for.
man, hyperboarder, how many vehicles have you blown through in the past 5 years?


'05 Desert Sand Aero> '96 Volvo 850> '13 Passat/'97 Wrangler> '16 Chevy Volt/'04 Wrangler LJ> 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Offline

 

#31 2012-05-10 10:55:33

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
Registered: 2006-02-22
User Number: 1032
Posts: 25069

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

You guys should be embarrassed for knowing this much about minivans.

Offline

 

#32 2012-05-10 11:21:38

Justin86
$800 DUI Mod
Supporter
From: Vegas
Registered: 2008-08-19
User Number: 3102
Posts: 11375
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

If you can find a Ford Flex for $4-8k, good for you.

had to reread.

I say something like this jalopy (@1:27)  roxor:



edit: fucking youtube embedding. No URL at current time? Bullshit.  unamused

Last edited by Justin86 (2012-05-10 11:23:32)


I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

Offline

 

#33 2012-05-10 11:31:01

kornfeld
Member
Supporter
From: San Francisco
Registered: 2008-01-22
User Number: 2503
Posts: 11476

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

apexanimal wrote:

-B- wrote:

AspenMike wrote:

Is the third seat in the Mazda 5 removable?

For some reason I think they fold into or level with the floor....I'm not 100% positive on that though.

i was about to say... the mazda5's i drove the 3rd row was foldflat... and i'm sure you could remove them if so inclined...

I guess I just feel like the mazda5 is the worst of all worlds.  It's a minivan, but doesn't have all that much room in it compared to other minivans.  It really can only sit 4 adults.  That rear-most row is awful. Plus, the cargo space is pretty sad with those seats up.

Yes, the rear-most seats can fold down and then you've got some actual cargo space, but then you've just got a massive stupid car with only 4 seats. 

As far as looks go, it doesn't look good.  It looks good for a minivan.  Which doesn't say much.




C/N: I was stuck in the rear most row for a long road trip with some extended family, and over the course of that road trip, I developed an intense hatred for that car.  unamused


Der Schuh
.
.

Offline

 

#34 2012-05-10 11:32:28

nstelemark
The other Morgan
Supporter
From: Halifax, NS
Registered: 2007-04-15
User Number: 1964
Posts: 2561
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

OK so this is not about minivans ;-).

I have two now adult sized kids, two good sized dogs, and tons of toys.  I have never owned a minivan.  We have always had a decent sized wagon with a roof box.  This works and is a nice daily driver.  The only thing you don't get is the third row seats, and having looked at a bunch of these they are pretty much useless, unless the occupants are dwarfs.

Our Passat will take the kids + the dogs + gear for a week or weekend pretty easily.  Yes you need to pack a bit more carefully.

If you really think you need a minivan, then get the AWD Sienna but I can't see it in your price range.

What about renting one for the few weekends a year you might need it?


2015 WRX CVT Base Cobb-ProTune | Dunlop/Nokian | STi | Rally Armor | Phillips
2014 Forester XT Limited Cobb-S1 | Toyo/Nokian
2013 Impreza -> gone 2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT Cobb-S2 | Perrin | Toyo/Nokian | Whiteline | FHI | JDM STi | Rally Armor | IxizConcept | Paranoid Fabs | prodrive | Tokico
1999 JDM Legacy GT STi

Offline

 

#35 2012-05-10 11:53:47

Justin86
$800 DUI Mod
Supporter
From: Vegas
Registered: 2008-08-19
User Number: 3102
Posts: 11375
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

1. Back seats? You will probably have 2 kids, eventually, I would guess. The 3rd row would be taken out to have the doggies in.

Oh. nstelemark basically made my answer


I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

Offline

 

#36 2012-05-10 11:55:46

Justin86
$800 DUI Mod
Supporter
From: Vegas
Registered: 2008-08-19
User Number: 3102
Posts: 11375
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

Destiny? Mountain backdrop.  checkmark

http://en.chevroletclub.net/graphics/gallery/full/647_chevrolet-1160-1.jpg

$4-8 grand is going to be a dumpy, old Honda or Toyota.  hmm


I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

Offline

 

#37 2012-05-10 13:08:12

ska 92x
FoSTer Parent
From: Las Vegas
Registered: 2006-10-16
User Number: 1428
Posts: 6166

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

lizzardo wrote:

Minivan?  Your life is over.  What difference do the details make?

lol


2006 9-2X Aero, Stage 2 (10/06 - 12/14)

2014 Focus ST, Procal (01/15 - Today)

Offline

 

#38 2012-05-10 13:11:46

Justin80
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporter
From: Kenilworth, IL
Registered: 2005-06-21
User Number: 304
Posts: 14081

Offline

 

#39 2012-05-10 14:39:00

nstelemark
The other Morgan
Supporter
From: Halifax, NS
Registered: 2007-04-15
User Number: 1964
Posts: 2561
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

Our current solution -

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6121/5950383607_8ccd09b116.jpg

Not a minivan.

Very comfortable on long drives.  I took 5 people and gear + skis etc to Northern NB, 6 hours away in Jan.  It was great.  Single roof box for skis.  With one less person I could have taken the dogs easily.


2015 WRX CVT Base Cobb-ProTune | Dunlop/Nokian | STi | Rally Armor | Phillips
2014 Forester XT Limited Cobb-S1 | Toyo/Nokian
2013 Impreza -> gone 2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT Cobb-S2 | Perrin | Toyo/Nokian | Whiteline | FHI | JDM STi | Rally Armor | IxizConcept | Paranoid Fabs | prodrive | Tokico
1999 JDM Legacy GT STi

Offline

 

#40 2012-05-10 19:40:24

OldHag
Member
From: Kansas City, MO
Registered: 2010-12-25
User Number: 5093
Posts: 44

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

arrow-up Great in Diesel!

Another wacky alternative indestructible diesel fun. People forget how fun giant old beasts can be!
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/e3d844855a61da72047475bc4fc5fb5c/l.jpg

Offline

 

#41 2012-05-10 20:25:11

scot_douglas
Dr. Fabreezy313
Supporter
From: Howell, MI
Registered: 2006-11-11
User Number: 1522
Posts: 4792

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

OldHag wrote:

arrow-up Great in Diesel!

Another wacky alternative indestructible diesel fun. People forget how fun giant old beasts can be!
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/e3d844855a61da72047475bc4fc5fb5c/l.jpg

Ask the OP what he had, then sold...


facepalm





big_smile


2013 Sonic
floormat's, tornado, and other horsepower enhancement's.
Howell, Michigan; Not just for racist's anymore.

Offline

 

#42 2012-05-10 20:57:03

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
From: Taterville
Registered: 2007-06-19
User Number: 2114
Posts: 8157
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

cjaama wrote:

the 5's are definitely the most stylish option in my opinion, i'm just not convinced they're big enough to do what he needs it for.
man, hyperboarder, how many vehicles have you blown through in the past 5 years?

Let's see...Protege 5, 92x, Altima, Wrangler, Outback, FJ60, Element, Excursion, Cherokee.  That doesn't include the bikes smile.  I have had the Outback for almost 3 years/50k miles and my wife has had her Element for about a year and a half, so I've calmed down a lot.

I should clarify more on the 3rd row, we want the capability to carry at least 5 people, when my parents or the in laws are in town it's a pain having to take 2 cars everywhere.  When we travel back home, I want to be able to bring the dogs but have the seats available when we get there, hence the folding seat requirement.

The Excursion was close, but ended up being too damn big and not getting good enough gas mileage to justify keeping it.  I tend to think the Suburban would be in the same boat.  I'd probably be ok with a diesel wagon, but the 3rd row requirement pretty much kills that.  The renting idea is interesting, but I'm not sure how ok they'd be with the dogs.  Back to the Mazda 5, looking decent but I'm having trouble finding any in a manual.  I'd definitely take one for a test drive.

Offline

 

#43 2012-05-10 22:10:53

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
From: South of North Carolina
Registered: 2007-04-06
User Number: 1944
Posts: 8639

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

I found a good one for you:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/3007586895.html
http://images.craigslist.org/5Ed5Ka5F23E73G73L6c5abb02c26ea5b21520.jpg

hyperboarder wrote:

We need something that can transport my wife and I, checkmark
a toddler, checkmark
a couple big ass dogs checkmark checkmark,
and all our shit.checkmark 
It needs to sit close to the ground checkmark,
get ok mileage  hmm,
and be comfortable for 12+ hour drives.checkmark

Six outta seven ain't bad. Oh, yeah...

Last edited by krazykarguy (2012-05-10 22:26:26)


2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

Offline

 

#44 2012-05-11 09:09:16

Hscott3417
Supporter
Supporter
From: Des Moines, IA
Registered: 2007-09-20
User Number: 2287
Posts: 779

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

Mercedes R class. Used. Thats going to be my wifes next car/wagon/ *sigh* minivan....


2007 Saab 9-5 SportCombi Aero, Black
1968 Saab 95 V4 Wagon, Silversand
(SOLD) 2005 Aero, 4eat, Blue, Cold Weather Package
(SOLD) 1980 Chevy C-20, 454, Turbo 400, Black, Camper Special

Offline

 

#45 2012-05-11 09:14:43

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
Registered: 2006-02-22
User Number: 1032
Posts: 25069

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

hyperboarder wrote:

cjaama wrote:

the 5's are definitely the most stylish option in my opinion, i'm just not convinced they're big enough to do what he needs it for.
man, hyperboarder, how many vehicles have you blown through in the past 5 years?

Let's see...Protege 5, 92x, Altima, Wrangler, Outback, FJ60, Element, Excursion, Cherokee.  That doesn't include the bikes smile.  I have had the Outback for almost 3 years/50k miles and my wife has had her Element for about a year and a half, so I've calmed down a lot.

I should clarify more on the 3rd row, we want the capability to carry at least 5 people, when my parents or the in laws are in town it's a pain having to take 2 cars everywhere.  When we travel back home, I want to be able to bring the dogs but have the seats available when we get there, hence the folding seat requirement.

The Excursion was close, but ended up being too damn big and not getting good enough gas mileage to justify keeping it.  I tend to think the Suburban would be in the same boat.  I'd probably be ok with a diesel wagon, but the 3rd row requirement pretty much kills that.  The renting idea is interesting, but I'm not sure how ok they'd be with the dogs.  Back to the Mazda 5, looking decent but I'm having trouble finding any in a manual.  I'd definitely take one for a test drive.

I had always thought you still had your 9-2x.  Not sure where I missed out on these threads!

Offline

 

#46 2012-05-11 10:03:47

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
From: Taterville
Registered: 2007-06-19
User Number: 2114
Posts: 8157
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

iamchris wrote:

I had always thought you still had your 9-2x.  Not sure where I missed out on these threads!

Nah, sold it and got the Outback in the fall of 09. I miss the handling, but I can say the Outback is the best car I've owned thus far.

Offline

 

#47 2012-05-11 10:16:55

scot_douglas
Dr. Fabreezy313
Supporter
From: Howell, MI
Registered: 2006-11-11
User Number: 1522
Posts: 4792

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

hyperboarder wrote:

but I can say the Outback is the best car I've owned thus far.

I am so sorry for you.  sad


2013 Sonic
floormat's, tornado, and other horsepower enhancement's.
Howell, Michigan; Not just for racist's anymore.

Offline

 

#48 2012-05-11 10:24:21

nstelemark
The other Morgan
Supporter
From: Halifax, NS
Registered: 2007-04-15
User Number: 1964
Posts: 2561
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

hyperboarder wrote:

cjaama wrote:

the 5's are definitely the most stylish option in my opinion, i'm just not convinced they're big enough to do what he needs it for.
man, hyperboarder, how many vehicles have you blown through in the past 5 years?

Let's see...Protege 5, 92x, Altima, Wrangler, Outback, FJ60, Element, Excursion, Cherokee.  That doesn't include the bikes smile.  I have had the Outback for almost 3 years/50k miles and my wife has had her Element for about a year and a half, so I've calmed down a lot.

I should clarify more on the 3rd row, we want the capability to carry at least 5 people, when my parents or the in laws are in town it's a pain having to take 2 cars everywhere.  When we travel back home, I want to be able to bring the dogs but have the seats available when we get there, hence the folding seat requirement.

The Excursion was close, but ended up being too damn big and not getting good enough gas mileage to justify keeping it.  I tend to think the Suburban would be in the same boat.  I'd probably be ok with a diesel wagon, but the 3rd row requirement pretty much kills that.  The renting idea is interesting, but I'm not sure how ok they'd be with the dogs.  Back to the Mazda 5, looking decent but I'm having trouble finding any in a manual.  I'd definitely take one for a test drive.

The 5 will not be big enough.  Not a chance.  The lack of the third second row seatbelt in the Element killed it for us.  I wonder how many other people had the same reaction.

Third row seating really cramps the second row in most vehicles unless you get a minivan.  Have a look at the XC90 as an example.


2015 WRX CVT Base Cobb-ProTune | Dunlop/Nokian | STi | Rally Armor | Phillips
2014 Forester XT Limited Cobb-S1 | Toyo/Nokian
2013 Impreza -> gone 2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT Cobb-S2 | Perrin | Toyo/Nokian | Whiteline | FHI | JDM STi | Rally Armor | IxizConcept | Paranoid Fabs | prodrive | Tokico
1999 JDM Legacy GT STi

Offline

 

#49 2012-05-11 10:26:10

nstelemark
The other Morgan
Supporter
From: Halifax, NS
Registered: 2007-04-15
User Number: 1964
Posts: 2561
Website

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

krazykarguy wrote:

I found a good one for you:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/3007586895.html
http://images.craigslist.org/5Ed5Ka5F23E73G73L6c5abb02c26ea5b21520.jpg

hyperboarder wrote:

We need something that can transport my wife and I, checkmark
a toddler, checkmark
a couple big ass dogs checkmark checkmark,
and all our shit.checkmark 
It needs to sit close to the ground checkmark,
get ok mileage  hmm,
and be comfortable for 12+ hour drives.checkmark

Six outta seven ain't bad. Oh, yeah...

I like this idea.  Full sized wagons are great.


2015 WRX CVT Base Cobb-ProTune | Dunlop/Nokian | STi | Rally Armor | Phillips
2014 Forester XT Limited Cobb-S1 | Toyo/Nokian
2013 Impreza -> gone 2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT Cobb-S2 | Perrin | Toyo/Nokian | Whiteline | FHI | JDM STi | Rally Armor | IxizConcept | Paranoid Fabs | prodrive | Tokico
1999 JDM Legacy GT STi

Offline

 

#50 2012-05-11 10:52:33

lockmedic
is fresh out of fog light covers!
From: Kingston, TN
Registered: 2012-05-08
User Number: 7235
Posts: 78

Re: F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

I vote AWD Astro with a 4.3. . . as LT1/4 LSx motors drop right in without issue up

Offline

 
  • Home
  •  » Car Talk
  •  » F**K MINIVANS! I'm building a motovan!

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.