saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-06-13 12:55:38

MaxPower
The wrong way, but faster.
User Number: 132

Leather care

This is my first car with leather seats. Is there something I should use to keep it in good shape? My friend has a three year old Acura RSX with leather, and it's starting to crack in a few places. He never put anything on it.

Also - is there something I can put on the white/parchment areas to prevent stains? I'm not too concerned about the black parts, but I picture the lighter areas staining easily.

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5spd - Deep Blue Mica - Premium/Cold
Armrest extension/MOMO knob/rear cupholder/trunk tray/Saab door sills

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-06-13 15:37:37

LowFuel
User Number: 161

Re: Leather care

For car cleaning/care in general I think Zaino makes the best stuff.
Their leather cleaner and "leather in a bottle" treatment/conditioner are the best I've used (and I've tried most).

http://www.zainostore.com

Saab 9-2x Aero - Satin Grey
Premium Package / Alpine 9853 Headunit + iPod connector
Prodrive Springs / Kartboy Shifter + Bushings / Accessport S1-91

#3 2005-06-13 19:34:57

talo
User Number: 141

303 Aerospace Protector is good weekly considering it is coated leather. Zaino is good for conditioning and care every month or 2. Lexol is gets decent reviews.  I still love poorboysworld.com products, fantastic stuff and well respected by prof. detailers, too bad he doesnt have leather care.

Artic Silver Aero w/ Cold and Premium
---------------------------------------------
Cobb AP, Turbo XS Stealthback, Cobb Anti-Sway, Lloyds Ultra Plus Mats, "350F Block-It" Car Cover, FilterMag, German Castrol (GC), Prodrive PPF7 Anthracite, Hankook RS2 225/18/40, Valentine One v1.8, Lidatek LE30, Black Calipers, LaserShield Plate Cover, Saab 92x License Plate Frame, McGard Lugs and Lock

#4 2005-06-13 20:13:06

eurospeed
Will race for food.
Supporter
User Number: 29

Lexol Cleaner followed by Lexol Conditioner.  Best stuff around IMO.

EUROSPEED EUROSPEED EUROSPEED
saab 92x AERO ..:::::::.. driving banana

#5 2005-06-13 21:17:36

talo

Just keep in mind that the leather we have is coated, so its a little different than some other types. There are MANY discussions on this topic out in the wild, the key takeaway is on coated leather, and products like Lexol/Zaino etc are not as effective, since it cannot penetrate. My understanding is a product like 303 is better suited to this type of leather. Look around for the discussions, kind of interesting.

Cobb AP, Turbo XS Stealthback, Cobb Anti-Sway, Lloyds Ultra Plus Mats, "350F Block-It" Car Cover, FilterMag, German Castrol (GC), Prodrive PPF7 Anthracite, Hankook RS2 225/18/40, Valentine One v1.8, Lidatek LE30, Black Calipers, LaserShield Plate Cover, Saab 92x License Plate Frame, McGard Lugs and Lock

#6 2005-06-15 00:38:29

ease27
User Number: 210

autotopia.com, youll learn alot about detailing and wahtnot.  Read around for a few reviews I used oto use zaino on my moms tahoe, and my old school 1984 benz, a few years ago, and it did a great job, especially on the seats of my car which where about 17 years old at teh time.

#7 2005-07-08 09:23:28

NewtonGirl
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 193

I read through what exists in these posts for leather care.  There doens't seem to be one concrete solution or product on these seats.  I'm hoping a new post to this thread will get some more opinions.  I have never had any type of leather seats so I am pretty clueless on this.

#8 2005-07-08 11:41:13

gts24
User Number: 398

http://www.lexol.com/

http://www.pepboys.com/parts_supplies/m … rands.html   ----Available at Pepboys among other places.

Get Lexol for leather, Vinylex for dash, vinyl etc etc.

With lexol , rub it on with your hands, yes i said rub it on with your hands. Your leather will love you for it. I have been using Lexol for the last 4 years on the leather seats in my other cars, and it works great.

Vinylex is awesome for dash and such, as it doesn't leave a nasty sticky residue, it just protects and cleans.

#9 2005-07-08 12:28:45

NewtonGirl
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 193

Thanks for the info!   Is the Lexol also good for cleaning leather?   

I noticed the service guy left his grubby greasy hand residue on my driver's side door and I'd like to remove what is there if I can.

Thanks!

gts24 wrote:

http://www.pepboys.com/parts_supplies/m … rands.html   ----Available at Pepboys among other places.

With lexol , rub it on with your hands, yes i said rub it on with your hands. Your leather will love you for it. I have been using Lexol for the last 4 years on the leather seats in my other cars, and it works great.

Vinylex is awesome for dash and such, as it doesn't leave a nasty sticky residue, it just protects and cleans.

#10 2005-07-08 12:53:57

joefrompa
User Number: 214

what do you guys think of lexol on the shift boot and parking brake boot? Those are some great feeling leathers on there, but are they "coated"?

9-2x Arctic Silver Aero 5-spd. 20% tint all around. 7000+ miles...20mm Rear Sway Bar sitting in a garage waiting for time to install

#11 2005-07-08 13:04:19

DutchDaddy
Red with NL sticker
Supporter
User Number: 200

Skip Lexol, cuz as said, the 92 seats aren't real leather <mean reason why I skipped them>, Lexol rocks on real leather seats btw, both the conditioner and the cleanser that is. Zaino is a bit overrated if you ask me...

2005 9-2x Aero | Red | Blitz NurSpec Exhaust | STi UP | Helix DP | Momo shiftnob | 18" P45F's | Homebrew 93 Octane stage 2.1| IzixShift | Boost & Oil Temp gauges | Tint | FHI RSB | Whiteline Endlinks | STi Pinks not installed yet Slotted/perforated rotors |

NOW FOR SALE: $18K FIRM, which will get you also all stock parts as well. Two sets of wheels etc.....

#12 2005-07-08 13:24:35

gts24
User Number: 398

NewtonGirl wrote:

Thanks for the info!   Is the Lexol also good for cleaning leather?   

I noticed the service guy left his grubby greasy hand residue on my driver's side door and I'd like to remove what is there if I can.

Thanks!

gts24 wrote:

Lexol has a 2 step system for leather. 1 the Cleaner, then the Conditioner. We clean our leather seats with the cleaner, then apply the condition with our hands.

DutchDaddy wrote:

Skip Lexol, cuz as said, the 92 seats aren't real leather <mean reason why I skipped them>, Lexol rocks on real leather seats btw, both the conditioner and the cleanser that is. Zaino is a bit overrated if you ask me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but like alot of other manufacturers now, the seats ARE leather FACED, with vinyl on the sides and back. Thus it would be fine to use lexol on the leather faced portion.

#13 2005-07-08 13:33:43

DutchDaddy
Red with NL sticker
Supporter
User Number: 200

@GTS, I don't know what other manufacturers do, what I do know, is that I didn't like the look, and/or feel of the leather seats in teh 92, they felt too much like vinyl/plastic to me.

Have leather in the S4 (duh, not even an option) and leatherette (leather) in the Passat, that alone is a HUUUUUUGE difference...hence no Lexol in teh Passat, only in the Audi, but that's just my $0.02.

2005 9-2x Aero | Red | Blitz NurSpec Exhaust | STi UP | Helix DP | Momo shiftnob | 18" P45F's | Homebrew 93 Octane stage 2.1| IzixShift | Boost & Oil Temp gauges | Tint | FHI RSB | Whiteline Endlinks | STi Pinks not installed yet Slotted/perforated rotors |

NOW FOR SALE: $18K FIRM, which will get you also all stock parts as well. Two sets of wheels etc.....

#14 2006-04-22 22:37:20

AeroAero
User Number: 713

I followed instructions on several web sites in determining whether or not our leather interiors are made with coated leather or not. The test is to place a few drops of cool water on the seat. If the water beads up, it's coated leather. Well, I did the test, and the water beaded up. I'm now leaning toward using somthing like the 303 Aerospace protector product for leather seat care instead of the more popular leather care products.  Anyone try the 303 product on your leather seats?

#15 2006-04-25 00:19:16

talo

yep, works v well

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.