saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2011-02-18 22:38:57

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter
User Number: 2118

gun cleaning

What is your routine? What products do you use?

I grew up in a family that hunts and Target shoots. I learned how to clean my guns from then but I can't get them as spotless as I would like. Is there a good cleaner or barrel bore polish that you use?

FHI 20mm RSB - USDM STI Pink Springs - Tokico D-Spec - Powder Coated Wheels - Paranoid Fab Ground Kit - STI Exhaust  - STI 5mt trans mount - 15% tint - KB Sub-Frame Lock Kit - Paranoid Fab Cowl Stay - STI Eng mounts -

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2011-02-18 23:09:38

Mrmulletmania
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 4095

Re: gun cleaning

I use Hoppe's bore cleaner and a bore snake to clean the bores of my guns. I clean the rest of the gun with CLP and a nylon brush (I use a bronze brush for rust or built up fouling) Wipe the whole thing with a rag and then apply a small amount of lube to the friction areas (slide rails, springs ect.) then wipe off any excess.

05 Aero MT|Arctic Silver|IxizHood|IxizSS V2|Cobb DP|PDE|Prodrive Oval|EPIC RSB|Cobb FSB|MOMO|Jazzy|GrimmSpeed|IxizSpedal|
"I think I accidentally defeated Bill Gates." -Someguy

#3 2011-02-19 09:52:05

LordZed
ImaChris
Supporter
User Number: 5169

Break Free on a cloth and clean the barrel with a brush   smile
I have a Glock 23 .40, Winchester 308, and a nylon stock .22 (my first gun)
My dad's retired SWAT, so we have a ton of arms at his place

#4 2011-02-19 10:22:11

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
User Number: 1
Website

IBkap_x

#5 2011-02-19 10:27:45

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

I just throw mine in the dishwasher.

#6 2011-02-19 11:06:04

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

Azrael wrote:

I just throw mine in the dishwasher.

In all seriousness too bad you just put the whole non wooden parts in ab ultra sonic cleaner every once in a while.

FHI 20mm RSB - USDM STI Pink Springs - Tokico D-Spec - Powder Coated Wheels - Paranoid Fab Ground Kit - STI Exhaust  - STI 5mt trans mount - 15% tint - KB Sub-Frame Lock Kit - Paranoid Fab Cowl Stay - STI Eng mounts -

#7 2011-02-19 11:07:07

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

Mrmulletmania wrote:

I use Hoppe's bore cleaner and a bore snake to clean the bores of my guns. I clean the rest of the gun with CLP and a nylon brush (I use a bronze brush for rust or built up fouling) Wipe the whole thing with a rag and then apply a small amount of lube to the friction areas (slide rails, springs ect.) then wipe off any excess.

Won't the brass brush damage the blueing or parkerizing?

#8 2011-02-19 16:28:04

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter
User Number: 19

Overcleaning guns (to get them spotless) will add additional, unnecessary wear. Don't worry about getting them spotless. Just get them clean.

I recommend Wipe-Out foaming bore cleaner. Great stuff. It will clean carbon fouling, copper/metal fouling, black powder fouling, and moly fouling.
Sweets 7.62 and Shooter's Choice are also excellent bore cleaner.
You can also use Ed's Red, which is an at-home DIY mixture that works great. The recipe and procedure is freely availble on the internet.

For chrome lined bores, I typically just run CLP through them.
Use a nice cleaning rod (I use a tipton carbon fiber for my ARs, but you don't have to go that nice). The Dewey coated rods are good. Don't use an uncoated steel rod.
At least for precision firearms, use a guide.
Get a chamber brush specific to the caliber to get the chamber nice and clean.

After applying the solvent to the bore and brushing, run patches through until they come out clean.
Then run a patch with CLP through, and then run dry patches until they come out clean.

Nylon brushes (cheap toothbrushes work great if the bristles are stiff, but I also use the USGI ones for handiness) are good for surfaces on which bronze is too abrasive. I use bronze brushes on most of the internals.
Hoppe's #9 (actually pronounced hoppies) or Sweets 7.62 work well, but you'll want to make sure it's all cleaned off after wipe down. Hoppe's 9 also makes a great cologne. diamond

Cleaning the internals is just as you'd imagine. Solvent (generally just using CLP will do fine), brush 'em down and wipe 'em clean, apply CLP, wipe.
I put Break-Free CLP (or Slip2000 or FP-10, they are all excellent) on all metal surfaces, and then wipe off. It will leave a very thin layer to protect (hence the P of CLP, cleaner, lubricant, preservative) the surfaces from rust.

Environment will dictate how much lubricant to use. The more you use, the more it may attract dust and dirt. But generally speaking, wetter is better. I typically run all my arms pretty wet.
ARs will spit out any excess oil, anyway.

Then re-assemble, function check, and wipe down any excess oil on the outside surfaces of the weapon.

A bronze brush won't damage the parkerizing.

Some folks actually do use a dishwasher, but I highly recommend against this.
I also highly recommend against chucking the chamber brush into a drill.

Bore snakes are OK, and they're great for field use, but a dedicated cleaning rod for the caliber is always a better option.

If you want to go all out, you can use a sonic cleaner. It's easy, but it's IMHO the cost isn't generally justified.

OK hot gigglfarting a donut!

#9 2011-02-19 16:32:49

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter

I should also add that it's not advisable to leave Hoppes #9 or other ammonia based solvents on nickel plated firearms for prolonged periods of time (overnight, etc).

#10 2011-02-19 18:01:08

Mrmulletmania
Supporter
Supporter

kap_x wrote:

You can also use Ed's Red, which is an at-home DIY mixture that works great. The recipe and procedure is freely availble on the internet.

I've made a few batches of Ed's red and its worked out for me quite well, much cheaper than buying Hoppe's but doesn't smell anywhere near as good.

kap_x wrote:

Nylon brushes (cheap toothbrushes work great if the bristles are stiff, but I also use the USGI ones for handiness) are good for surfaces on which bronze is too abrasive. I use bronze brushes on most of the internals.

The USGI nylon brushes are 10 times better than toothbrushes for sure

kap_x wrote:

Hoppe's 9 also makes a great cologne. diamond

QFT

05 Aero MT|Arctic Silver|IxizHood|IxizSS V2|Cobb DP|PDE|Prodrive Oval|EPIC RSB|Cobb FSB|MOMO|Jazzy|GrimmSpeed|IxizSpedal|

#11 2011-02-19 18:27:58

Ben
It's Swedamerinese!
Supporter
User Number: 1967

I get a girl to clean my gun....sometimes.

| Borla | Prodrive | Rota | Ixiz | ATE | Injen | Whiteline | Falken | STi | Momo | Hella | Koji |
And here come the debaters arrow-down

#12 2011-02-19 19:00:17

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

I have a flash hider on my barrel, not really sure if there is an easy way to get in there.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#13 2011-02-19 20:11:26

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter

aggie113 wrote:

I just have a basic Hoppes cleaning kit and go through a bunch of disposible clothe patches with my rod/brush.  I have an old toothbrush I use on certain parts that I want to get to.  Some parts of my AR10's bolt assembly are tough to get carbon off of so I have to scrape it a bit to get clean.  Also use some gun cleaner spray that is nasty stuff for your skin but cleans the parts well (evaporates quickly too).

It doesn't hurt anything for carbon to build up on the tail of the bolt. It's supposed to. If it bugs you, get a dental pick the next time you're at the dentist. Works perfect for scraping

#14 2011-02-19 21:19:11

Mrmulletmania
Supporter
Supporter

Yah with the proper tools, its pretty easy to get an AR bolt spotless

#15 2011-02-19 21:35:26

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

I always have issues getting the area around where the shell goes into the chamber on my AR. The patches the more I run through with hopes they just keep coming out dirty. All I have been able to find as far as rods are metal. Any places to look for coated or some fancy carbon one that won't scratch?

#16 2011-02-19 22:13:13

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter

Are you talking about the feed ramps, or the barrel extension around the locking lugs?
Get a chamber brush

For cleaning the chambers, I actually like to use a stationary rod (not one where the handle is on a bearing). I have a knurled cleaning rod for the MP5 that fits the bill perfectly. It's about 12-16", just a simple knurled steel rod with 8-23 female threads.

Coated rods: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5641 … OATED_RODS

Last edited by kap_x (2011-02-19 22:14:53)

#17 2011-02-19 23:36:20

Mrmulletmania
Supporter
Supporter

Yup just twist that chamber brush in there to break up all the carbon and then wipe out the excess.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR036-7.html

These are also very helpful for cleaning that hard to reach area

#18 2011-02-20 00:11:44

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

I have a chamber brush just tend to still end up with some grime in there especially between the taller sections. I guess the ramps / long spike looking things. Sorry I don't know what they are actually called.  facepalm

#19 2011-02-20 00:42:12

Mrmulletmania
Supporter
Supporter

Its the barrel extension and the spike things are what interact with the locking lugs on the bolt head

#20 2011-02-20 01:41:03

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter

Yep. The breech end of an AR-15's barrel is called the barrel extension. My internet just went tits up so I can't post a pic, but a quick Google image search will do you fine.

The locking lugs in the bbl extension are what lock the bolt in battery in the closed position.

A chamber brush should clean them fine. If you're not happy with it, I want to say some folks use a 12ga brush (try nylon first), but I don't have one handy to verify fit.

You don't really need it. You can use the chamber maids posted above, but IMHO they're not worth the cost. A couple patches and q-tips do just fine. Again, no white glove test necessary.

Hope that helps

#21 2011-02-20 03:35:09

Mrmulletmania
Supporter
Supporter

Kap is right, the chamber maid things are really worth it, but they do the trick

#22 2011-02-20 12:42:50

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

Ah, I always thought I was doing a bad job getting them cleaned. I guess as long as it doesn't need to be spotless I'm doing good then.

#23 2011-02-20 13:11:34

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter

Internet's back, so here's a barrel extension (without barrel):

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100004605_1.jpg

No need for the manual of arms. Like I said, being ready for a white glove test is actually more harmful than just getting it clean.
If it's an AR, scrub and wipe it down, and run it a bit wet. You will be good to go without issue.

Also, this thread is worthless without pictures

#24 2011-02-20 13:53:33

MetalNeverDies
92x metal madness
Supporter

im iffy about posting pictures of my guns, haha. the zombie paranoia in me i guess.

so as long as its not a steel rod i should be ok? im thinking about ordering a rod off of midway because my friendly local gun store only has aluminum, academy sucks. after moving from AZ to OK i realize how spoiled i was by awesome gun stores in AZ. just assumed it was like that every where.

also would you bother purchasing a bore swab to coat the whole inside of the bore before you scrub? or just dip the brush in the solvent and use that?

Last edited by MetalNeverDies (2011-02-20 13:59:35)

#25 2011-02-20 15:01:43

kap_x
21st Trisomic
Supporter

Which gun in particular is it?
If it's a chrome-lined barrel, then a softer metal won't really hurt. I still suggest going with a Dewey.

You can dip it if you want, or just run a patch with solvent through.
If it's chrome lined, CLP will clean it up just fine.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.