saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-06-10 10:39:07

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
From: Columbus, OH
Registered: 2005-05-09
User Number: 1
Posts: 10306
Website

AccessPORT Tips

PLEASE NOTE: THESE TIPS APPLY ONLY TO THE VERSION 1 ACCESSPORT (BLACK RECTANGLE) -- I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY APPLY TO THE VERSION 2 ACCESSPORT OR 2006 92x VEHICLES! They may be accurate but YMMV -- I don't have a V2!

Here are some AccessPORT Tips from my experience in the last day or so. If you have any to add, post them.

You must connect both the green test connectors and the white initialization connector when changing base maps, installing, or un-installing the AccessPORT.
This isn't indicated in the AccessPORT user manual, but on the 9-2x, you must use the white connector when changing base maps. I twist-tied my initialization connector to the diagnostic port plug so that I don't lose it. If you have an AccessPORT, go write this in the manual on the page about changing base maps. If you do not plug in the white connector, you will get a voltage too low error, but nothing bad will happen.

After installing the AccessPORT or changing base maps, disconnect the initialization connector and green test connectors under the dash.
Failure to do so will make the check engine light flash, and god only knows what else. I did it and my car didn't blow up, but I wouldn't do it again.

The fans under the hood will run once you turn the igition to ON but before you start flashing.
The first time you install your AccessPORT, change base maps, or un-install the AccessPORT, you will hear the fans in the engine compartment start to turn on and off in 3-second bursts once you turn the ignition to ON. This is normal-- once you hit OK to flash or de-install, the fans will stop. The reason that this happens is because the green test mode plugs connected, which runs diagnostic tests (including fans, I assume) for dealers.

If you live in an area with 93 octane gas, run the 91 octane base map and the 93 octane real time map.
This should yield the same performance as running the 93 octane as a base map (with no real-time map) but if you get a tank of bad gas and are away from your AccessPORT, you can pull the negative terminal on the battery to reset the ECU, which switches you back to whatever base map you had installed. Remember, octane ratings are an average, not exact; running 91 octane gas on a 93 octane program can result in a variety of issues.

You must install the maps that come on the AccessPORT before attempting to install updated maps.
When your AccessPORT arrives, you cannot update it to the newest maps yet; just install the ones it comes with (which work just fine), drive around for a bit, then copy the new maps to the AccessPORT and install them. The reason for this is because an AccessPORT that has not yet been installed does not give the menu option to connect to the PC.
Update: athakur999 reports "If your AccessPort is unmarried, you can press the up and down buttons simultanously while the AP is initializing.  It will then put up the "waiting for PC" prompt and you can access it as usual with the Map Manager software and update all of the maps.  No need to go through the base map flashing process twice."


If you would like to install newer maps using the PC software, delete the old maps off the device first.
I tried to upload new maps without deleting old ones and there was no space left. Select the map on the right side list in the manager software, then use the "Remove map from port" option under the "AccessPORT" menu.

RTFM.
The manual is very helpful, and the only thing that wasn't clear in the manual is the fact that you must use the white plug when changing base maps. I think that this only applies on some models (only a couple people on the COBB forum indicated that they needed to do so), including ours. Heck, yours might even work fine without it, but mine didn't, and it doesn't hurt to plug it in - better safe than sorry.

Give the car a few days to adjust the 'learn' values before you throw your AccessPORT in the trash.
If you have just installed your AccessPORT and don't feel a big difference, drive around for a few days. The ECU must learn the engine all over again -- the same thing happens if you reset the ECU by pulling the battery, but it makes more of a difference after the AccessPORT is installed. If you still don't notice anything after a week of driving around (some cars take 500mi to fully settle the ECU adaptation values!), then you probably did something wrong smile

Base Maps vs Real-Time Maps
Here is something that everyone finds a bit confusing, so I'll try to explain it to the best of my knowledge. This might be wrong.
Base Maps are complete ECU programs and have control over all functions of the ECU. Base Maps take longer to install, but are the most useful. You will always have a Base Map set and running, such as Stage 1 91oct. If you reset your ECU or the battery dies, you will be returned to the Base Map that is installed. Think of the Base Map as the 'hard drive' in the ECU -- it contains most of the information and doesn't go away if your power goes out, but is slower to work with.
Real-Time Maps are 'tweaks' to the Base Map. Real-Time Maps have less access to settings inside the ECU, but they can control most general things like boost, etc. You will always have a Base Map set, but you can select a Real-Time Map at any time. Switching Real-Time maps only takes a few seconds, and can be done without having to plug in anything special under the dash. However, if you reset the ECU or the battery dies, the Real-Time Map is deleted and the Base Map is used. Some people might run an Anti-Theft Base Map and a Stage 1 Real-Time Map, so that if the car gets tampered with, it will be immobilized. Or, you can set Stage 1 Base Map, but when you take your wife out for a nice dinner to apologize for spending so much time with your car, you can set the Valet Real-Time Map to prevent undue "abuse". In the analogy above, the Real-Time Map is like the RAM memory in the ECU -- it loads quickly and can be changed on the fly, but if you loose power, it goes away.

Helpful Links
http://www.accessecu.com/support/ap-usersguide-wrx.pdf - Users Manual. Read this if you are thinking about the AccessPORT, as it has lots of info on what it can do.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport-faq.html - COBB's AccessPORT FAQ
http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimat … forum;f=11 - AccessPORT Forum. I know you love Saab92x.com, but COBB's forum is the place to go if you have technical questions regarding the AccessPORT.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/ - Map download site. Remember to get the 2005 maps. You can also download the latest Map Manager software for your PC from this page. IGNORE INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING THE 2004 WRX UPGRADE unless you drive a 2004 WRX smile

Offline

 

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

Offline

 

#2 2005-06-10 10:47:40

92xAERO
Member
Registered: 2005-05-28
User Number: 111
Posts: 36

Re: AccessPORT Tips

great info - thanks iota! - i am very interested in the Cobb AP

Offline

 

#3 2005-06-10 13:55:47

WDEagle
Unrepentantly Ideological
Supporter
From: Fernandina Beach, FL
Registered: 2005-05-11
User Number: 7
Posts: 1427

Re: AccessPORT Tips

DAMN NICE POST!!!!!!!!!!!


Hers --------> 2005 Midnight Black Flat Black Pearl White Saab 92x Aero w/sport & 2016 Ultra White Lexus NX200t F Sport
Mine --------> 2004 Black Chevrolet Colorado ZQ8 2016 Lazer Blue Chevy Colorado Crew Cab
Ours --------> 2004 Millennium Yellow Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
Ours 2 ------> 1966 Arcadian Blue Ford Mustang Coupe

Offline

 

#4 2005-06-10 18:01:16

purduealum91
Member
Registered: 2005-05-11
User Number: 5
Posts: 650

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Thanks Iota.  By the way, did you see the link to my install guide for the autodimm mirror w/compass & homelink?


Red Saab 9-2X Aero 5 speed with cold package, rear cup holder, autodimming mirror with compass and homelink, trunk tray, cargo mat, kartboy short shifter and bushings, Silver Subaru Din Pcket, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 93 Octane v1.3, tinted windows (55% front, limo rear), Pioneer P4700MP head unit with Pioneer iPod adapter, APS uppipe and APS Turbo Back Exhaust w/ hi-flow cat
I drive only 5!

Offline

 

#5 2005-06-10 22:55:00

LowFuel
Member
Registered: 2005-06-05
User Number: 161
Posts: 17

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Hey guys - need some help.
I connected everything right (I think), and selected my base map, and it says to turn the ignition to "ON".
I do that, and the fan inside the engine bay immediately starts running in 3 second bursts, then off for 3 seconds, back on, off, etc.
Is that normal? I'm hesitant to start flashing the ECU while it's doing that, since I didnt hear anyone mention that behavior.


Saab 9-2x Aero - Satin Grey
Premium Package / Alpine 9853 Headunit + iPod connector
Prodrive Springs / Kartboy Shifter + Bushings / Accessport S1-91

Offline

 

#6 2005-06-10 23:44:40

iota
si vis pacem, para bellum
Founder
From: Columbus, OH
Registered: 2005-05-09
User Number: 1
Posts: 10306
Website

Re: AccessPORT Tips

LowFuel wrote:

Hey guys - need some help.
I connected everything right (I think), and selected my base map, and it says to turn the ignition to "ON".
I do that, and the fan inside the engine bay immediately starts running in 3 second bursts, then off for 3 seconds, back on, off, etc.
Is that normal? I'm hesitant to start flashing the ECU while it's doing that, since I didnt hear anyone mention that behavior.

That is correct behaviour -- the green test mode connector being plugged together forces the car to run those things as tests. Is totally normal -- once you hit OK to flash, it will stop.

Offline

 

#7 2005-06-10 23:59:43

LowFuel
Member
Registered: 2005-06-05
User Number: 161
Posts: 17

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Thanks - Im pretty paranoid about this stuff. smile Once I started the flash it worked fine, I'm all good to go and enjoying some actual pull from 3rd gear - who knew? smile


Saab 9-2x Aero - Satin Grey
Premium Package / Alpine 9853 Headunit + iPod connector
Prodrive Springs / Kartboy Shifter + Bushings / Accessport S1-91

Offline

 

#8 2005-06-13 20:31:20

Anand
The Dude Abides
Registered: 2005-05-29
User Number: 113
Posts: 2036

Re: AccessPORT Tips

My AccessPort came in!  Just one question.  When I power it up using the power cable, it says "Accessport - 04" during the init screen.  I ran the ReprogramAP_05WRX utility to upgrade it to 2005 (I bought it used from someone who used it on their '04 WRX) but it still says "AccessPort - 04".  I have the ECU identifier set to 2005 MT at well.

Does the "04" mean 2004 and am I doing something wrong?  Or is the "04" something else like a version number?


2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

Offline

 

#9 2005-06-15 08:32:33

Poppakaylee
Member
Registered: 2005-06-06
User Number: 169
Posts: 7

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Athakur999, I don't know the answer but here's a thought: when you start up your map manager(on your PC) it should indiate the 'version' in the lower left.  (WRX -05 for example)  though i'm not sure that will help you...

I received my AP and flashed my aero two weeks ago and the AP interface is definately quirky,  I had some questions on versions and updating the AP also.   I got in contact with Trey Cobb via email (I frankly don't remember how) but he was VERY helpful and VERY thorough.  Over the couse of a few days (and many emails) he answered all my questions.  I would recomend you knock-heads with someone over at Cobb.  Just so you know, I just started seeing results over this past weekend. very nice.  Good luck.


9-2x AERO 2005
short throw shifter
AccessPORT Stage1 91oct.

Offline

 

#10 2005-06-15 13:47:44

purduealum91
Member
Registered: 2005-05-11
User Number: 5
Posts: 650

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Do we need to run ECU sync (I think thats what it is.  Its in the menus)?  What does this do?  I am not referring to ECU flash.  Thanks!


Red Saab 9-2X Aero 5 speed with cold package, rear cup holder, autodimming mirror with compass and homelink, trunk tray, cargo mat, kartboy short shifter and bushings, Silver Subaru Din Pcket, Cobb Accessport Stage 2 93 Octane v1.3, tinted windows (55% front, limo rear), Pioneer P4700MP head unit with Pioneer iPod adapter, APS uppipe and APS Turbo Back Exhaust w/ hi-flow cat
I drive only 5!

Offline

 

#11 2005-06-15 14:13:27

Anand
The Dude Abides
Registered: 2005-05-29
User Number: 113
Posts: 2036

Re: AccessPORT Tips

iota wrote:

You must install the maps that come on the AccessPORT before attempting to install updated maps.
When your AccessPORT arrives, you cannot update it to the newest maps yet; just install the ones it comes with (which work just fine), drive around for a bit, then copy the new maps to the AccessPORT and install them. The reason for this is because an AccessPORT that has not yet been installed does not give the menu option to connect to the PC.

If your AccessPort is unmarried, you can press the up and down buttons simultanously while the AP is initializing.  It will then put up the "waiting for PC" prompt and you can access it as usual with the Map Manager software and update all of the maps.  No need to go through the base map flashing process twice.


2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

Offline

 

#12 2005-06-17 07:22:23

M8
Member
Registered: 2005-05-13
User Number: 37
Posts: 177

Re: AccessPORT Tips

athakur999 wrote:

My AccessPort came in!  Just one question.  When I power it up using the power cable, it says "Accessport - 04" during the init screen.  I ran the ReprogramAP_05WRX utility to upgrade it to 2005 (I bought it used from someone who used it on their '04 WRX) but it still says "AccessPort - 04".  I have the ECU identifier set to 2005 MT at well.

Does the "04" mean 2004 and am I doing something wrong?  Or is the "04" something else like a version number?

Hey akathur999, I did the same thing: Picked one up from a guy driving an 04". He tells me I'll need to update to "05 Firmware". Have you done this yet? If so, care to post some details on the steps you followed? Thanks!


Defender 90, no more toy cars for me

Offline

 

#13 2005-07-01 02:02:00

owl
Supporter
Supporter
From: SF, CA
Registered: 2005-05-11
User Number: 12
Posts: 653

Re: AccessPORT Tips

can anyone tell me if they have successfully had regular stage 1 91 octane and economy realtime maps on their car with the AP?  I'm trying to switch from the regular v1.3 stage 1 91 octane map to economy map ...  the screen says "done" but when I go to option 2 to see which map is the current map is still shows the stage 1 91 octane v130 map

???


2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-sp-Deep Blue Mica-Premium/Cold|[email protected] 2 tuned(206whp/224wtq)
2012 Mazda 2
2001 Porsche Boxster

Offline

 

#14 2005-07-01 11:50:24

scottgf
Former, Ex Dealer Guy
Supporter
From: Rosemead Cal.
Registered: 2005-05-11
User Number: 13
Posts: 5140
Website

Re: AccessPORT Tips

owl wrote:

can anyone tell me if they have successfully had regular stage 1 91 octane and economy realtime maps on their car with the AP?  I'm trying to switch from the regular v1.3 stage 1 91 octane map to economy map ...  the screen says "done" but when I go to option 2 to see which map is the current map is still shows the stage 1 91 octane v130 map

???

Hey Owl,
Dont worry, it is working properly....The screen only shows what "base map" you are on....it will not show the "real time" map, on the screen. When you switch and it says "done' you are good to go...As a test, switch real time map to "valet" and see if it will rev past 4k...I bet it wont...
Cheers,


Scott
05 9-2x Aero 5 Spd AP Stage 2 SOLD 10/2012     94 Dodge Viper RT/10
73 Plymouth Road Runner                                  63 VW
69 Ford Cortina GT                                            12 Chevy Volt

Offline

 

#15 2005-07-01 13:07:45

owl
Supporter
Supporter
From: SF, CA
Registered: 2005-05-11
User Number: 12
Posts: 653

Re: AccessPORT Tips

scottgf wrote:

owl wrote:

can anyone tell me if they have successfully had regular stage 1 91 octane and economy realtime maps on their car with the AP?  I'm trying to switch from the regular v1.3 stage 1 91 octane map to economy map ...  the screen says "done" but when I go to option 2 to see which map is the current map is still shows the stage 1 91 octane v130 map

???

Hey Owl,
Dont worry, it is working properly....The screen only shows what "base map" you are on....it will not show the "real time" map, on the screen. When you switch and it says "done' you are good to go...As a test, switch real time map to "valet" and see if it will rev past 4k...I bet it wont...
Cheers,

good point; it's too bad the option 2 to show current map is deceiving a bit  - I should read my manual  smile  I *think* I do feel the less turbo boost and slower acceleration in the current setting, but perhaps it's all psychological!


2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5-sp-Deep Blue Mica-Premium/Cold|[email protected] 2 tuned(206whp/224wtq)
2012 Mazda 2
2001 Porsche Boxster

Offline

 

#16 2005-07-12 21:59:18

BSlickOH
2005 9-2X Aero Silver
From: Loveland, OH
Registered: 2005-06-20
User Number: 286
Posts: 439
Website

Re: AccessPORT Tips

iota wrote:

Here are some AccessPORT Tips from my experience in the last day or so. If you have any to add, post them.

You must connect both the green test connectors and the white initialization connector when changing base maps, installing, or un-installing the AccessPORT.
This isn't indicated in the AccessPORT user manual, but on the 9-2x, you must use the white connector when changing base maps. I twist-tied my initialization connector to the diagnostic port plug so that I don't lose it. If you have an AccessPORT, go write this in the manual on the page about changing base maps. If you do not plug in the white connector, you will get a voltage too low error, but nothing bad will happen.

This is not correct...the information IS in the manual.  Page 15 of my printed manual (for 04 WRX) says under both Change Base Map and Uninstall:

AccessPortManual wrote:

Before attempting to change your Base Map (...uninstall your AccessPORT), please verify that the Test Mode and Init Connectors are properly attached before proceeding.  These connections are necessary to make whenever changing the Base Map (...uninstalling your AccessPort).  (Refer to pages 8-9 for instructions on making these connections)

Even the PDF version that you linked in your post has the information on page 19 for changing the base map.  Step 1, connect the green ones, Step 2 connect the white one.  Same thing on page 23 for uninstalling.

So, RTFM  big_smile

iota wrote:

After installing the AccessPORT or changing base maps, disconnect the initialization connector and green test connectors under the dash.
Failure to do so will make the check engine light flash, and god only knows what else. I did it and my car didn't blow up, but I wouldn't do it again.

This is also in the manual, quite explicitly.  Pages 11 and 15 printed.  Pages 12 and 22 PDF.

iota wrote:

If you live in an area with 93 octane gas, run the 91 octane base map and the 93 octane real time map.
This should yield the same performance as running the 93 octane as a base map (with no real-time map) but if you get a tank of bad gas and are away from your AccessPORT, you can pull the negative terminal on the battery to reset the ECU, which switches you back to whatever base map you had installed. Remember, octane ratings are an average, not exact; running 91 octane gas on a 93 octane program can result in a variety of issues.

Eh, this is the first I've heard of this theory, and I'm not inclined to buy it.  I suppose if you want to be extra cautious, and routinely have crappy gas, maybe.  I've been running Stage 1 (93) base and realtime together with no issues for over a year.  I was originally running a stock base map with Stage 1 realtime, but as more map revisions came out, general consensus became that you will get more benefit if your base and realtime maps are the same.  I didn't bother searching the entire board since most of this was early-mid 04, but here's a couple of links:
http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimat … 1;t=000942
http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimat … 1;t=000608

The second one talks a little bit about what you are talking about (ok, so the theory is a year old, but hey...), but the consensus I interpret is that running the 91 base is mostly an extra-special-cautious step.  I personally am not that worried about it.  If you would reword this as a recommendation to consider, I wouldn't have a problem with it (or if you can link me to something more substantive), but as-is it's stated as a fact.

iota wrote:

If you would like to install newer maps using the PC software, delete the old maps off the device first.
I tried to upload new maps without deleting old ones and there was no space left. Select the map on the right side list in the manager software, then use the "Remove map from port" option under the "AccessPORT" menu.

Also, you are limited in the number of characters that display on the AP for map names.  So if you have a bunch of similar maps, say different versions of the same map, try to get the important information as early in the name, and in few as few characters, as possibile.  Otherwise you get 5 maps that all say "Stage1_93oct_ver" when you are choosing from the AP.  So, try "Stg1_v1.19_93o" or something so that you can tell the difference between maps.

iota wrote:

Give the car a few days to adjust the 'learn' values before you throw your AccessPORT in the trash.
If you have just installed your AccessPORT and don't feel a big difference, drive around for a few days. The ECU must learn the engine all over again -- the same thing happens if you reset the ECU by pulling the battery, but it makes more of a difference after the AccessPORT is installed. If you still don't notice anything after a week of driving around (some cars take 500mi to fully settle the ECU adaptation values!), then you probably did something wrong smile

If you don't notice it right away, you probably did something wrong.


You might want to include a link to the 05 updater for people who either already have AP from an 04 WRX, or bought it from someone who did.  Everyone kept telling me to go download it (without ever providing a link, of course), but it was a PITA to find.  Here's a link to the file directly, but if someone can find a page that links to this either on Cobb's web site, WRX Forum, or accessecu.com, I'm all ears.

http://www.accessecu.com/support/ReprogramAP_05WRX.zip


1998 Acura Integra LS

Offline

 

#17 2005-07-13 12:45:16

dsheib
Member
From: Carver, MA
Registered: 2005-06-16
User Number: 246
Posts: 44

Re: AccessPORT Tips

I got my new AccessPORT Monday from pcpcdallas and it was an '04 model. The Cobb site is pretty confusing about the difference, I understood it to say that the '04 version would work fine with an '05 but when I tried to load the '05 maps I got an incompatible file error. I decided to reprogram the AccessPORT using the http://www.accessecu.com/support/ReprogramAP_05WRX.zip link so helpfully provided in another thread on this forum and by BSlickOH above. (He's right, there seems to be no way anyone could ever find this link on Cobb's web site or the Accessecu site on their own.) Reprograming the AP took about 15 minutes and the Map Manager software now says that it's connected to an '05 version and the '05 maps load perfectly. You can do all this before connecting the AP to your car, just hook it up to your computer and push both arrow buttons while plugging the power cord in. The instructions for the reprograming utility explain all of this.

I flashed the 91 octane base map into my car before work yesterday (I did have my bike to ride if something went wrong) and other than taking longer than I thought it would (about 15 minutes of data transmission) everything went fine. Pulling out of my driveway I immediately noticed an improvement in low-speed response. It's now MUCH improved when pulling away from a dead stop. Power seems much more linear, I haven't had a chance to really wring it out yet but I'm very happy so far.

Offline

 

#18 2005-07-13 13:23:49

Anand
The Dude Abides
Registered: 2005-05-29
User Number: 113
Posts: 2036

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Putting the AccessPort on the car made the stereo deficiencies much less noticable.  Mostly because I leave it off most of the time so I can listen to the turbo spooling up big_smile


2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero 5-Speed w/ Sport Package

Offline

 

#19 2005-07-13 17:01:20

CliffJumper
Red Aero
Registered: 2005-06-23
User Number: 332
Posts: 95

Re: AccessPORT Tips

The tip I want; is it worth $600?  Is it that big of an improvement.  hmm


I'd rather be pedaling up a 10% grade.
AP Stage I, Tint, Silencer Delete

Offline

 

#20 2005-07-13 17:40:28

92x Jet
GM'er
Registered: 2005-06-03
User Number: 154
Posts: 146

Re: AccessPORT Tips

I have the A/T transmission and it makes a big difference. Not neck snapping, but it does give it an extra half a second to 60 in my opinion. It should be a lot better for you 5 speeders.


2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Sport Combi wagon V6 turbo 258 ft [email protected] RPM
2006 Steel Grey Subaru STI, Silver wheels, Accessport
2005 Saab 92x Satin Grey Aero A/T, Accessport (SOLD)
2002 GMC 2500 Duramax / Allison combo 4 x 4  smile

Offline

 

#21 2005-07-13 19:57:01

al8b
Cobb Stage 2
From: San Diego
Registered: 2005-06-03
User Number: 152
Posts: 58

Re: AccessPORT Tips

CliffJumper wrote:

The tip I want; is it worth $600?  Is it that big of an improvement.  hmm

yes - buy it now banana
there is lot of pull in all gears. 1st isnt as bad and the rest of the gears have lots of passing power


2005 Arctic Silver 9-2X Aero 5MT w/Cold Package

Offline

 

#22 2005-07-14 10:52:25

dsheib
Member
From: Carver, MA
Registered: 2005-06-16
User Number: 246
Posts: 44

Re: AccessPORT Tips

CliffJumper wrote:

The tip I want; is it worth $600?  Is it that big of an improvement.  hmm

Now that I've had one for a few days, I would still spend $600 for it.

Offline

 

#23 2005-07-14 14:49:40

M8
Member
Registered: 2005-05-13
User Number: 37
Posts: 177

Re: AccessPORT Tips

I read much of the Manual's bad press online and was a bit concerned. Now, having actually used it to flash my car, I think much of the bashing in unjustified. The manual had everything I needed to initialize and flash my ecu. If I had gone by what people were saying about it online I'd have assumed that the manual left you filling in lots of blanks on your own.

To answer the "is it worth it" question: Yes it is, for several reasons. Firstly, even if you do nothing else, it makes the stock car much more fun in terms of real world driving. Add to that the fact that you are just a couple of bolt on's away from stage II, and it becomes an even better investment. Throw the versatility of Pro-Tuner into the mix... Then, and this is the best part, you can always re-sell it if you decide you want to go a different route. It's a win-win purchase. Just be sure to follow all instructions exactly, read and re-read the manual. Stage II is worth all the scraped knuckles of installing the UP / TBE! big_smile


Defender 90, no more toy cars for me

Offline

 

#24 2005-07-15 09:34:37

CliffJumper
Red Aero
Registered: 2005-06-23
User Number: 332
Posts: 95

Re: AccessPORT Tips

Well it's on its way!big_smile


I'd rather be pedaling up a 10% grade.
AP Stage I, Tint, Silencer Delete

Offline

 

#25 2005-07-20 22:24:54

skipdup
Member
Registered: 2005-06-22
User Number: 325
Posts: 169

Re: AccessPORT Tips

I received mine today.  I loaded Base map as Stage 1 93...  Is that all that needs to be done?  It almost seems too easy...  Am I supposed to mess with the realtime map?  Or, am I good?

Also, the improvements were better than I expected.  The car definitely feels more powerful and much "smoother" throughout the rpm range.  My wife even noticed how much smoother the engine was...  I figure it's $600 well spent.

- Skip


Aero - Artic Silver - 5 spd - Cold Package - SOLD
MODS: AP Stage 1 93, 17" SSR Comps, V1 hardwire, trailer wiring, DRL delete & fog light anytime w/ switch correction
ACCESSORIES: HomeLink RVM, trunk tray, rear cup holder, arm rest extension

Offline

 

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.