saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2009-11-17 13:02:12

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 2726

Forge UNOS Manual Boost Controller

Anybody used/heard of this piece? http://www.lancershop.com/customer/prod … amp;page=1

My local tuner told me to get this for my upcoming stage 2 tune on my '04 rex. I trust him but I'm just wondering what you guys have heard!

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5 speed ABP

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2009-11-17 13:22:11

The Gig
User Number: 243

Re: Forge UNOS Manual Boost Controller

It's supposed to be a decent piece-  I worked with Bren as well.  He likes the forge because it clicks when you turn it and is easier to set.  I went with a Hallman pro based on my conversation with the guys a ESP in Sterling, MA (and the fact that I got it cheap off a buddy) They said they no longer carry this model because of oil buildup causing it to stick or some shit like that and recommended the Hallman.  I guess they replaced a number of them for customers.  Either way- as long as you get a quality MBC you'll be all set.  Once Bren is done with the car there's no real reason to ever touch the thing unless you are going to experiment with tuning and logging on your own.  I have no problem tweaking with the Hallman- just move it in small increments and log.

#3 2009-11-17 13:39:01

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

#4 2009-11-17 13:46:26

The Gig

2nd one.  Been running it for about 6 mos with no issues FWIW.  The third cat is def. a restriction.  Bren will tell you the same thing.  We actually had to dumb down my first map to get around the lack of airflow.  The problem with a shorty DP is trying to find a 3rd cat delete pipe that isn't $Texas.  I'm using a nice ceramic coated Stromung shorty- so I just bashed the cat out.  If you ever look inside that 3rd cat pipe you'll see why it's a big restriction.  Solid brick of crap in the way of your airflow.  Only reason I kept a stock pipe there is to pass visual inspection by either police or inspection station.  Still looks like a cat under there.

#5 2009-11-17 13:55:46

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

The Gig wrote:

2nd one.  Been running it for about 6 mos with no issues FWIW.  The third cat is def. a restriction.  Bren will tell you the same thing.  We actually had to dumb down my first map to get around the lack of airflow.  The problem with a shorty DP is trying to find a 3rd cat delete pipe that isn't $Texas.  I'm using a nice ceramic coated Stromung shorty- so I just bashed the cat out.  If you ever look inside that 3rd cat pipe you'll see why it's a big restriction.  Solid brick of crap in the way of your airflow.  Only reason I kept a stock pipe there is to pass visual inspection by either police or inspection station.  Still looks like a cat under there.

Well I got the prodrive catless shorty for $140 and I could pick up a Bosal third cat delete for another $140 = $280 or try to find a cheaper delete on nabisco. That would give ma catless down that would mate to the stock STI catback. I'm waiting for the prodrive one to arrive so I can inspect the quality. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it and get a full catless or a HFC one like the ERZ on ebay for $280. The only problem is none of these will mate to the stock STI midpipe.

I think I will order / look for that Hallman. Thanks

#6 2009-11-17 14:12:23

The Gig

Enhanced Street Performance in Sterling carries the Hallman.  It seems like at the time I looked for the 3rd cat pipe everyone was out of them- maybe that's not the case now.

#7 2009-11-17 14:19:58

ixiz
will drive U crazy...
Supporter
User Number: 886
Website

I have both for sale
Short DP and 3rd cat delete (race pipe)  - BOSAL NEW

As for MBCs ive tried a couple and i have one of my own but they all have similar issues (except mine)  Very touchy to tune correctly and its hard to regulate its either zero boot or close to max boost.  Example if you like to run 10 psi from the rpm to this rpm on this throttle opening position - almost impossible.   

Personally a street driven car should not be on an MBC

05' Black Aero 92x     MY mods
IxizConcept  --  Ixiz performance components designed specifically for 92x / Subaru's  facebook=ixizconcept

#8 2009-11-17 14:33:28

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

ixiz wrote:

I have both for sale

As for MBCs ive tried a couple and i have one of my own but they all have similar issues (except mine)  Very touchy to tune correctly and its hard to regulate its either zero boot or close to max boost.  Example if you like to run 10 psi from the rpm to this rpm on this throttle opening position - almost impossible.   

Pm me on a price of the 3rd cat delete shipped to 02420 if you're willing to sell it. Thanks. I'm going to use what my tuner suggests - he wants the MBC so I'm going to use it. My Saabaru ran the perrin EBC and that was fine and he tuned that car. But I'm asking him before I buy the parts this time.

#9 2009-11-17 14:43:48

ixiz
will drive U crazy...
Supporter
Website

Why do you want an MBC ?

IxizConcept  --  Ixiz performance components designed specifically for 92x / Subaru's  facebook=ixizconcept

#10 2009-11-17 14:53:59

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

ixiz wrote:

Why do you want an MBC ?

My tuner told me to get it for my tune. Selling that third cat delete?  biggrin

#11 2009-11-17 15:46:12

The Gig

boston_errol wrote:

ixiz wrote:

I have both for sale

Pm me on a price of the 3rd cat delete shipped to 02420 if you're willing to sell it. Thanks. I'm going to use what my tuner suggests - he wants the MBC so I'm going to use it. My Saabaru ran the perrin EBC and that was fine and he tuned that car. But I'm asking him before I buy the parts this time.

I disagree- the map this guy loaded on my car is very smooth.  Around town I don't see anywhere near max boost unless I'm getting on it.  My datalogs can't be wrong.

#12 2009-11-17 17:32:58

ixiz
will drive U crazy...
Supporter
Website

mbc's are excellent for max boost clamping
if you have one that is fairly controllable than there is a bleed option.

IF you undertand how turbo controls boost then you can see why for daily drivers a map is still the best option.

#13 2009-11-17 19:40:16

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

ixiz wrote:

mbc's are excellent for max boost clamping
if you have one that is fairly controllable than there is a bleed option.

IF you undertand how turbo controls boost then you can see why for daily drivers a map is still the best option.

He is going to load a map. RomRaider openECU tune. He is a good tuner.

#14 2009-11-17 21:58:06

ixiz
will drive U crazy...
Supporter
Website

I dont doubt his tuning abilities (never doubt any ones abilities)
I just question is he tuning your car the way you want it or the way he thinks you should be driving it ?

Whats the point of having a boost map on MBC ????  (maybe thats a question you should find out first)

#15 2009-11-17 22:02:58

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

ixiz wrote:

Whats the point of having a boost map on MBC ????  (maybe thats a question you should find out first)

Wondering this myself - I thought a MBC was to manually dial in boost. Though I know for a fact he does something with the boost on the tune. Not sure. The Gig prob knows more tahn me.

This thread has a lot of good info it seems: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuning- … -need.html

I'll have to do some reading

Last edited by boston_errol (2009-11-17 22:05:07)

#16 2009-11-17 22:28:17

ixiz
will drive U crazy...
Supporter
Website

boston_errol wrote:

ixiz wrote:

Wondering this myself - I thought a MBC was to manually dial in boost. Though I know for a fact he does something with the boost on the tune. Not sure. The Gig prob knows more tahn me.

This thread has a lot of good info it seems: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ecu-tuning- … -need.html

I'll have to do some reading

YUUUUP
You should read several times and then refer back to this post what i mentioned.
With a MBC (remember its CAPITAL M=manual)  that means you by pass all control of boost. 

in case you did not know there are several failsafe systems that detects overboost, temp compensation tables, PID controls, and many more....  Your MBC now totally bypass all those features
Lets say your MBC got stuck from crud in the orifice  and your now boosting at 30 psi - guess what ?

No doubt its a tad harder to tune the base map and takes some time and experience so that you dont get the PID in a chase loop for trying too hard to reduce or increase WGDC.  Maybe thats why some tuners take the....  route.

Or wait for this
http://www.ixizconcept.com/ixizmebcs/ixizMEBcs_pd.html

Last edited by ixiz (2009-11-17 22:45:16)

#17 2010-06-16 15:41:42

Ryan
Anti-JDM
Supporter
User Number: 1941

Bump!

My tuner is recommending I get an MBC for his Stage 2 road tune. Why? Do I really need it? I don't have a problem buying one but I'm not sure if it's just a way for them to make another $150 (although I'll be buying it 3rd party probably instead).

What's the status of the ixizMBC?

'05 Aero MT (BBS RK, Stage 2, Cobb suspension)
'06 Aero 4EAT (BBS CH, STi interior, Brembo GT, Epic suspension)
'12 GTI Autobahn/DSG/4D (BBS CK, Koni coilovers, APR tuned)

#18 2010-06-16 15:51:48

boston_errol
Supporter
Supporter

I have seen some good MBCs go for like $60 on nabisco. I think it provides for better boost control and better torque down LOWWEEE

#19 2010-06-18 12:34:10

saabarupp
Beer Snaab
Supporter
User Number: 3153

Also, some people are seting up a weird hybrid boost control system that uses both mbc and ebcs.  No idea how it works, but i know someone who runs that set up.  It's supposed to spool up really fast and solid, but still allow the ecu to control boost. 

Here's the nasioc thread about it.  http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr … t=mbc+ebcs

2007 WRX Sti Limited 413/800
Former 9-2X Aero owner.....RIP Ruby :'-(

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.