saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#26 2009-11-12 18:26:37

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

Re: bolt for plastic panel

arrow-up Kornfeld beat me to it.  It's what's holding my panel up.  BTW, the biggest thing the panel does is direct airflow through the engine compartment, most importantly, through the intercooler and radiator.  Side effect, it makes the underside smoother, so it saves some amount of fuel.  And it tries to keep the engine compartment clean by getting air from in front rather than from underneath. That's the REAL reason it's there. It's not a skidplate, nor splash shield.  And, in terms of engine compartment cooling, they really do work. When I did a road tune of my //S6 (and trust me, all of the engineers are pretty well equally adept at this, otherwise the cost of designing/installing these wouldn't be justified.), the intake air temps dropped between 10 to 14 degrees F with the undertray on vs. off.  I know I was surprised.

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#27 2009-11-12 21:51:52

tekkheadd
President & CEO
Supporter
User Number: 2702

krazykarguy wrote:

The bolts are the same for the Subaru or the Saab. They are also the same for the two back ones you already have.

cha-ching

i don't really like the idea of zip ties.  i'm glad that it works for those who use them though.

Last edited by tekkheadd (2009-11-12 21:54:27)

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT (world rally satin gray), PnP turbo, Factory Gauges, F1 Racing flywheel, 3'' Catless DP, DOM Tuned Stage II, Hella Micro DE fogs, Ixiz, Koyo Rad, Impreza trunk tray FTW!!
Stocker 16''s  Nokian Nordman2
BBS RK's BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2

#28 2009-11-12 22:39:01

Scargo
Supporter

Me neither. But, considering it's getting cold out up here, and I don't have the time to drill and drive in bolt extractors on the DD, they'll have to do for now.

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#29 2009-11-13 09:47:26

tekkheadd
President & CEO
Supporter
User Number: 2702

arrow-up  yes.. that is quite a project to be doing in the cold.  next week should be warm though!   up

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT (world rally satin gray), PnP turbo, Factory Gauges, F1 Racing flywheel, 3'' Catless DP, DOM Tuned Stage II, Hella Micro DE fogs, Ixiz, Koyo Rad, Impreza trunk tray FTW!!
Stocker 16''s  Nokian Nordman2
BBS RK's BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2

#30 2009-11-13 10:20:52

Scargo
Supporter

arrow-up don't care enough to bother until is consistently warm.  Wire ties are very safe, they're just not pretty.

#31 2012-04-28 10:57:12

macberry
My other car has two wheels
Supporter
User Number: 410

I know the plastic undertray is held in place by both flange bolts and plastic pop rivets.  But which ones are used where?  I just noticed that the back passenger side one is no longer there.  Here's a diagram for the Subie undertray (I know ours is different) that indicates it's a pop rivet.  If that's the case, I'll probably just go to Home Depot and get a bag of generic ones (7/16"?) to use instead of paying a premium for Subie OEM pop rivets.

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/371494957203.png

Brilliant red 5MT Aero w/premium & cold|BBS RK|AP 93 stg 2|Bosal shorty DP|STi axle back|Cobb sways|Hotchkis endlinks|Mach V springs w/KYB struts|eBay H-brace...not pink smile |eBay f/r strut braces...pink tongue |Perrin short throw shifter driving|ixizSclutch banana|Kartboy shifter/diff bushings|Crucial rad shroud|SpeedMonkee|Momo shift knob/boot|WRX dead pedal|RubberTite "go fast" mats lol

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.