saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1 2005-07-24 09:15:14

92XorRSX

help me decide! 92x vs RSX?

to all owners of 92x, especially those who have owned them for a year or longer-term, i need some help deciding on which car to get as my first car out of university!

my original price budget was around 30k canadian $... so i was looking at mazda3, matrix, lancer ralliart, and the more upscale Acura RSX premium (not type S).

i was all set to get the Acura RSX premium since I wanted to get a manual and learn manual on it since I like driving, and I am bored of driving autos for the last 8 years.  then i read about a manual transmission grind problem:  http://www.petitiononline.com/RSXgrind/petition.html
so after seeing 1762 signitures of ppl having this problem, i got scared off since although im sure there are many more RSX on the road, 1700 of them posting this problem is VERY SIGNIFICANT, and im sure many others have not posted their problems.  i asked 2 friends who do have manual RSX and they did say the tranny is notchy sometimes (at high rpm) but not that bad (grinding).

2005 rsx stock is low, price is approx 32k cdn with 2.8% financing, on the road.

then came this lovely GM employee rebate and I can get a "Saaburu" for approx 36k cdn, on the road. (92x aero manual)
ive done all sorts of reading on these 92x sites, and it seems everyone cashed in on this deal and love their cars.  I tested the aero auto and manual yesterday (since the dealer was nice enough to let me go with my friend out by ourselves, i learnt some manual driving on the aero stick big_smile) , and I found that the low end power is not so great.  but after 3500 rpm i can feel TURBO!  power is crazy (beats the pants of the other small cars in my consideration) and the AWD feels stable.

I saw a list of changes/differences between the Saab 92x and the Subaru Impreza WRX wagon, but it mentions nothing about the engine and electrical.
so does that mean that everything internal like the engine, electrical work, AWD system, aircon, etc... is all SUBARU?
in 5 years when its on covered under warranty, can i use subaru impreza parts for these commonly failing parts:
brake pads, rotors, timing belt, water pump,alternator, starter, etc???

so my hard decision is whether i should stick with the RSX, which is closer to my 30k cdn budget (rsx is 32k and has a lower 2.8% financing which I need since I just started work and I have no cash), and ignore the 1700 posts of notchy/grinding tranny problems....
or if i should "take advantage of this deal" to get the Saab 92x which is much more over my budget at 36k and has a higher 5.9% financing sad... BUT HAS SO MANY MORE FEATURES...TURBO, AWD, BIGGER WAGON.

any replies before monday would help, i probly need to sign for one on monday cause both are low in stock and would require trading from other dealers to get the ones i want. thanks.confused

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#2 2005-07-24 09:43:16

Scargo
Freely Inhabiting the Space I'm In
Supporter
User Number: 227

Re: help me decide! 92x vs RSX?

Overall, assessing the two vehicles:

For absolute fun to drive (handling being a priority of mine), easier to use gearbox, better fuel economy, and reasonable utility, the RSX is a great car.

For more power (though not down low), more utility (it's a wagon!), and a somewhat lower profile (no one except enthusiasts really know it's not a Saab), the 9-2X Aero is the way to go.

I'm somewhat surprised that, after discounts (in the US, until the end of this month, the car is sold at employee price, + a USD $6K rebate) that the 9-2X isn't MUCH closer to the price of the RSX, however you can't get the rebate AND (at least at my dealer) GMAC low finance rates.

I think, thinking of your financial situation, you'd be stretching to do the CD $4K. That's something I'd really be thinking about. Or, search around and see if you can do better on the the price of the Saab or your financing options (try a bank or credit union) if you'd prefer that car. BTW, if you are financing, try using going for dealer financing as leverage on the purchase price of the car. Since the dealer will make a profit on any dealer financing, (and otherwise it's simply cash) s/he may be able to better on the purchase price of the car.  IF the interest rates aren't as good, then look at the minimum payoff time on the dealer financing. If it's less than a year, and you can find bank financing that'll pick up the price of the balance of the dealer loan, cut the deal with the dealer financing, and when you meet the minimum time period, then go for the bank loan.

Just food for thought,

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#3 2005-07-24 09:56:55

92XorRSX

thanks for the reply Scargo.

yup, you're right on, the issue is whether i want to spend $4k cdn to up it to the 92X.
4k seems like a lot, but when your talking about 36 as opposed to 32k cdn... it doesnt sound like that much more tongue

the saab dealer up in toronto here says that there are few 92x aero manual left and they wont negotiate. he showed me what he claims was the invoice price, and he says they had $90 cdn markup and thats it.  he cant go any lower and its not up to him to change the finance rate. its 5.9%
i dont think they will budge cause someone else will take the car easily if i pass it up.

same goes with rsx, there are many sold for a reason, its a good car and ppl buy into the honda reliability without knowing much about cars.
32k cdn for the rsx is already with $1k off....dealer wont go lower, he said he can just sell it to the next kid waiting to see him after me tongue

i think these are reasonably prices, and they are both on clearance special pricing so there is high demand, no room to negotiate much.  they arent desperate to sell hmm

#4 2005-07-24 10:29:34

bmo72
User Number: 553

All Wheel Drive

buy the saabaru

Brian

#5 2005-07-24 14:00:14

Scargo
Supporter

bmo72 wrote:

All Wheel Drive

buy the saabaru

Brian

Depends upon his needs (although it appears I neglected to mention that).

If you're the type that needs to always go, irregardless, then AWD becomes quite
important, AS LONG AS YOU BUY SNOW TIRES. (then again, you'll need four snows
for the RSX also). In either case, BOTH cars use the same # tires to stop and steer.

So, if you live in the city, and don't have a dire need to get somewhere when the
roads are bad (and remember how many BAD drivers there are in these times!),
then I wouldn't make AWD the priority of the decision.

If you live in the middle of nowhere, where the plow sometimes takes hours, days,
or weeks to arrive, where AWD helps, then it becomes an issue.

Also, be aware, in the Saab you'll probably end up in the low 20's in terms of MPG, on Premium, and in the RSX you'll be in the high 20's to low 30's on regular. Just something
to think about.

Final thought,  since the dealer has NO ROOM for dealing (not at all unexpected w/rt
this car) I'd forgo dealer financing and take the Rebate, if it's offered to you. You're
getting no benefit going with GMAC and dealer financing, but you'll get a benefit if they
offer the USD $6K that they're offering to US customers.

HTH,

Scargo

1995.5 Audi //S6, Black/Ecru; MRC Stage 2, Eibach/Bilstein, RS2 BBK, HID's, Eurotails
2005 Saab 9-2X Aero Satin Grey; Cobb STX tune/Cobb 25 mm FSB, 22mm solid adj RSB/H6 upgrade/Noltec Camber Plates/STI Pinks, Koni Inserts/Whiteline Rear Stress Bar/Izixhood/Stromung DP, Crucial HF Kitty, STi catback, Hella MicroDE fogs, color keyed/polished roof rails.

#6 2005-07-24 14:30:46

delhi
Hi-ho Silver
User Number: 592

92X aero for sure. Classier looking, tons of hp and mod potential thanks to the wrx crowd. Enjoy the saab insurance rate and stay under the cops radar as you blow buy the 'other' premium cars. but only if you can swing the price. why not try leasing it first?

#7 2005-07-24 14:49:06

Suba-Saab
Former 92-X Linear Owner
Supporter
User Number: 381

I think they're both great cars.  If you want a 4 door, AWD, that can carry stuff then go with the Saab.  If you want two doors, ok cargo space, FWD, then go with the Acura.

Either way, you'll end up with a nice car.

My biggest advice, go with the vehicle that better fits your budget.  Don't overextend yourself.

Cheers! embeer

2009 Honda CBR600RR
2008 Nissan Altima SE V6
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

#8 2005-07-24 15:35:16

92XorRSX

yup, i agree both cars are good so on monday, if the first car i offer is no longer attainable (no stock in ontario) then i would have no hestitation to get the other car... it would actually help me decide tongue

in terms of what i need... my family has 3 brothers, and we are currently sharing/fighting over a 95 maxima since 2 of us are done/home from university.

3 boys sharing 1 car = trouble, so since i just graduated and signed my job offer, its time to buy a car.  so all i really need is an rsx, cool looking, fun to drive and the hatch will help when i need to bring home dads 52" plasma tv.

however, as my 2 younger brothers start/finish university, they will be moving in and out of residence a lot so a wagon would be really handy as a family need.

so i guess the true question is if i should buy for my needs or the familys needs.  if they want to use my wagon (92X) for moving my brothers, they should help me pay the 4k difference smile   i guess if they wont want to help pay, i can only offer the carrying capacity of the RSX wink

#9 2005-07-24 15:39:26

Scargo
Supporter

92XorRSX wrote:

yup, i agree both cars are good so on monday, if the first car i offer is no longer attainable (no stock in ontario) then i would have no hestitation to get the other car... it would actually help me decide tongue

in terms of what i need... my family has 3 brothers, and we are currently sharing/fighting over a 95 maxima since 2 of us are done/home from university.

3 boys sharing 1 car = trouble, so since i just graduated and signed my job offer, its time to buy a car.  so all i really need is an rsx, cool looking, fun to drive and the hatch will help when i need to bring home dads 52" plasma tv.

however, as my 2 younger brothers start/finish university, they will be moving in and out of residence a lot so a wagon would be really handy as a family need.

so i guess the true question is if i should buy for my needs or the familys needs.  if they want to use my wagon (92X) for moving my brothers, they should help me pay the 4k difference smile   i guess if they wont want to help pay, i can only offer the carrying capacity of the RSX wink

I would also agree, extending yourself financially is no fun. And missing a payment, as a result of that would really ding your record for quite awhile.

And, no 52" Plasma is going to fit in EITHER car. (My friend tried it with a 42" in a Volvo V70R,
that just BARELY made it). Guess you'll just have to "settle" for the 42".

Scargo

#10 2005-07-24 20:08:59

BlkKat
User Number: 179

Suba-Saab wrote:

My biggest advice, go with the vehicle that better fits your budget.  Don't overextend yourself.

+1 .  That's why you went to college, to get smarter!  But, I would still try to learn more about the RSX quality problem and how it might affect you and your purchase.  That isn't very comforting to have concerns even before you purchase.   Maybe there is a reason why people are having the problem that could be explainable by them not operating the car correctly according to manufacturer directions.  Somehow it surprises me that Acura is not taking care of a problem reported by so many customers.  Individual situations sometimes don't get resolved well, but for a luxury car brand, it's kind of rare for them to deny a real engineering problem among so many customers.

Also, my mind was swayed towards the RSX by your remarks about only needing a wagon to move.  Renting trucks is pretty cheap!  I get really peeved when people buy big SUVs, when they only need a car for everyday, and then a truck maybe once a year to haul a single piece of furniture or something like that.  The rental costs come nowhere near the extra price increment.

That said, among wagonish-vehicles, you could also consider the Pontiac Vibe GT.  It's a Corolla-based twin of the Matrix but it looks better (especially in black).  Also covered by the GM sale, and likely in your price range.  I own a base model Vibe - very roomy car with much greater cargo capacity than the 9-2x.  But obviously somewhat less sporty than the 9-2x or RSX. It has great rear passenger legroom and a fold-flat front passenger seat among other things the Saab 9-2x lacks.

#11 2005-07-24 20:34:58

Scargo
Supporter

Have you also considered the Mazda 3s 5 door?
Cheaper than the RSX, PUUULENTY of fun, and
similar room to the 9-2X. Still no AWD though,
again only if that's important. AND, it actually
looks quite attractive, both outside and in.

Scargo

#12 2005-07-24 21:02:28

dakota1361
User Number: 32

I was set on buying a rsx type-s for a long time.  I think the RSX does look better than the 92x but the difference in utility (space, AWD) and performance (turbo) made it pretty easy to change my choice, especially when the incentives came.  I have had my aero for about a month now and I don't regret changing my choice one bit. There are pros and cons to each of these cars but I think you pretty much can't go wrong with either of these cars since they are both great cars.

Blue 92x 5spd aero w/ sport and cold

#13 2005-07-24 21:22:11

destiny20902
User Number: 310

delhi wrote:

92X aero for sure. Classier looking, tons of hp and mod potential thanks to the wrx crowd. Enjoy the saab insurance rate and stay under the cops radar as you blow buy the 'other' premium cars. but only if you can swing the price. why not try leasing it first?

Have you taken into account your insurance rate on the RSX? Factor it in and see.  I think this alone MAY swing your decision in favor of 9-2X.  I've considered RSX too but when I was quoted my new rate, all the more I decided I wanted the 9-2X.

It's a great car! Everytime I think of my 9-2X, I fall in love with it over and over again.  smile

BTW, you mentioned that 9-2x's will cost you $36,000 Canadian?  What features does the car include? www.saab.ca shows MSRP for 9-2X aero at $37,735 Canadian?  I am wondering where the rebate is.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by destiny20902 (2005-07-24 21:33:13)

9-2x 5-sp Linear; Satin Gray Metallic with Premium and Sunroof

#14 2005-07-24 22:48:18

Timmahhh
User Number: 361

Scargo wrote:

I think, thinking of your financial situation, you'd be stretching to do the CD $4K. That's something I'd really be thinking about.

Ya think? tongue

How do the Saab rebates in Canada compare to the approx $7-10k USD?  How is the 9-2x availability?

#15 2005-07-25 02:30:14

92XorRSX

thanks for the opinions guys, really got me thinking.

first off, the rebates up here in canada is similar, its about 4000 off msrp, plus getting a 1000 new gm owner rebate, and 1200 worth of new grad rebates.
that cuts the on the road price for the 92x aero to be 34500 aprox.

compared to the 31000 for rsx, its pretty close, like 3500 difference.
yes, i know this is a great deal, and the AWD turbo is definately worth the 3500k difference, its the finance rate that hurts.
since i dont have much assets, the bank wouldnt give me a much better rate than 5.9% to pay for this car...

so if i got the rsx, it is 2.8% which will save like 1500 in interest, and i could save more gas in a years time. and for some reason, my insurance company quoted cheaper for the rsx than the 92x aero... maybe cause the aero has 227 hp tongue

so the difference is more like 5k between the 2 cars...
so i donno if its worth getting this as my first car ,,, and helping out the family by providing a wagon to use occasionally.

#16 2005-07-25 02:48:15

salaki
I love Pink...
User Number: 237
Website

You, in Canada w/ the snow, etc:
AWD> FWD> RWD

AIRBAGS SAVE LIVES - AWD SAVES AIRBAGS
SAABIE: Saabaru Tecnica International - 92X Aero - World Rally Red tongue - Premium - Cold Weather - & more.

SUBBIE: Subaru Tecnica International - Impreza WRX STi - World Rally Blue smile - PDXTuned Salaki Spec - SOLD

#17 2005-07-25 05:35:38

speed808
User Number: 594

Buy the 92X!!!  I traded in my 2004 TSX for it.  My manual TSX also had grinding problems.  1st to 2nd wasn't too bad, occasionally grinding BUT 2nd to 3rd was the problem.  Almost 1/3 of the time it would grind.  I admit, the shifter feel was the best of any car I drove but the grinding is unacceptable.  I had a Audi A4 before the TSX and NEVER had a grinding problem.  Same with the 92X.  The 92X may not have the great feel of the TSX manual but I never had a grinding problem yet.

#18 2005-07-25 15:10:24

BlkKat
User Number: 179

There is a GM employee on SaabCentral posting that he is offering a limited number of stackable $1,000 CDN coupons (on top of Employee Discount) for first-time purchasers of GM vehicles or owners of competitive vehicles.

See his post at:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showt … hp?t=55130

I'll post to Canada forum as well

This might help you narrow the gap, should you choose the 9-2x.

Excerpt from his comments:

"Here are the details this year, almost the same as last year with a few small differences:

-I must call in to request a reward certificate for you

-I record your friends information, give them a receipt, then I must call 1-800-GM-Drive and provide your information to request a reward certificate for you. I'll find out exactly what information I need from you and edit this thread with what I find out. I doubt it's anything too personal that you wouldn't be uncomfortable sharing. Last year it was pretty lightweight stuff.

- I will review the privacy statement with you (printed on the receipt I give them).
-The Reward Certificate will then be mailed directly to your authorized friend

-This time, the program ends December 30th, 2005 - vehicles must be delivered within the program dates to qualify - so it runs a little longer than last time (which ended early fall).

To qualify, the rules are the same as last year:

-Must live in Canada

-Must currently own or lease a non-GM vehicle (or just have one in your household) or you will be using this coupon for your first car

-Must have a pulse."

Last edited by BlkKat (2005-07-25 15:13:03)

#19 2005-07-25 15:33:40

delhi
Hi-ho Silver
User Number: 592

Dude, in Canada the discounts are huge. I got my 92x aero 5mt for $31k + taxes. freight/pdi/air tax included. And I got two free oil changes.

#20 2005-07-25 16:53:10

rocky78
User Number: 251

I had a 03 RSX-S before my Aero 92x.  The RSX was my first manual and I learned how to drive a manual on it.  It's definitely a fun car to have and the shifter was one of most smooth gear box I have used (along with the TSX) of cause except for the grinding on the second gear.  Also on the S there is 6 speed vs. 5 in 92x.  The downside is it can be a hard car to drive when the road condition is less than optimal.  I totalled my car when the back wheels slip and I acted like a newbie, sprung my car 2 times and hit a wall @30mph.  My RSX died saving me and I walk away with scratches on my arms.  So the built quality is top notch in terms of safety, but they are easily totalled.  I think the RSX is a great car to have, my girlfriend thinks it looks magnitude better than the 92x (I disagree), but overall with the driving condition up north you might be better served with the 92x.  Eitherway you cannot go wrong with either car.  Just my .02cents

2005 9-2x Aero, Artic Silver, 5MT, Premium Package, Cold Package, Short Shift Gear Lever, Momo Shift Knob, Body Side Molding

#21 2005-07-25 17:16:29

SaabRX
2016 BCS FOZ XT
Supporter
User Number: 502

Well you could always watch the Impreza Video in discussion*S* LOL That should intice ya to buy the 92x aero.

2002 WRB Bugeye  5MT Turbo
2005 Black Saabaru 5MT Turbo NEVER SHOULD OF SOLD IT! If I only knew ...
2014 DGM Forester XT  Premium
2016 BCS  Forester XT Premium

#22 2005-07-26 05:15:21

shook187

Lets not forget one MAIN thing the RSX will have over the 9-2X, and that is resell value!!! Those new to Saab will soon find out how much Saab's loses value. Even the MSRP couldn't hold up.

#23 2005-07-26 07:24:03

SaabRX
2016 BCS FOZ XT
Supporter
User Number: 502

WEll i dont' know . Resale I think might be better than we think. It is a fujiheavyindustries car. and Rare.

2002 WRB Bugeye  5MT Turbo
2005 Black Saabaru 5MT Turbo NEVER SHOULD OF SOLD IT! If I only knew ...
2014 DGM Forester XT  Premium
2016 BCS  Forester XT Premium

#24 2005-07-26 07:56:13

shook187

SaabRX wrote:

WEll i dont' know . Resale I think might be better than we think. It is a fujiheavyindustries car. and Rare.

Rare isn't a good thing when you talking about a car with a MFG date of 2005. Resale will be a problem if Saab don't make a 2006 9-2X.

#25 2005-07-26 09:10:24

BSlickOH
2005 9-2X Aero Silver
User Number: 286
Website

I faced this same decision 4 years ago, although at the time I was really only looking at the RSX.  I've been a long time Honda guy, and I was eagerly awaiting the Integra replacement.  When it finally came out, I thought the RSX was a bit too ho-hum.  Also about that same time, Subaru began an all-out advertising blitz on Comedy Central.  Just about every other commercial break, I was seeing this WRX howling down this curvy road.  It called to me.  Finally I couldn't stand it anymore, and went to test drive one.  Even though the test drive sucked (sales guy wouldn't let me go over 40, and it was basically around the block), I was hooked.  I was surprised at how "Honda-like" the shifter was (I had always heard bad things about Subaru manuals).  Loved the hood scoop bulging into view.  Made arrangements a few weeks later to get boned hard on my leased Civic Si, and jumped into an 02 WRX wagon.  I don't think I've ever even driven an RSX, and I've been an Integra fan since the beginning.

The only thing I've ever been jealous of the RSX over was the automatic climate control.  And moving to the 04 WRX didn't address that issue.  The Saab has.  (ok, an 05 WRX would have too, but they didn't have GM discounts)

So, after facing the same decision you are, I've been in three non-Honda vehicles, all WRX (or -based) wagons.  I've never once regretted it.  After being spoiled by the luxury of my wife's TL, I think the Saab probably comes as close to appeasing just about everything I want for under $30K.  I still have my sporty, useful small car, and I have my cushy leather interior, automatic climate control, and so on.  And I'm totally sold on AWD.  I probably won't go back to FWD again.

1998 Acura Integra LS

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.