saab92x.com - Over 10% of all 9-2x owners registered

Saab92x.com is dedicated to the discussion of the Saab 9-2x sport wagon, based on the Subaru WRX.
Please register or login to post.

Welcome to Saab92x.com!
Saab92X.com is the premier Saab92X forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

#1201 2015-06-18 13:08:16

ikbrown
long live R0LO!
User Number: 6094

Re: Last pair of shoes you bought?

Skorpion25i wrote:

dick

biggrin sorry. my inner 12 year old.

Skorpion25i wrote:

Only downside I've found so far is the sole is cut wide so bigger rocks wedge in there easily. But they're also really easy to get out so I got over it.

I have a pair of Nike running shoes with the same problem. Bugs me since I typically go running on trails near my house. Rocks galore up in the bottom of those shoes.

2015 Subaru Impreza Hatchback | #dadcar
2005 Saab 92x Aero 5MT | The basic mods, Stage 2.04
1968 Dodge Charger 383 | WIP, restored almost everything but body work

Remove Advertisements Advertisement

Saab92X.com

#1202 2015-06-18 13:34:38

tlow98
Supporter
Supporter
User Number: 4765

john_matrix wrote:

Bryan wrote:

What do you guys think about Salewa?

http://www.salewa.us/en/

They look like all the other high quality mountaineering type footwear. Looks nice. I can't afford 'em though.  biggrin

I think the Speed Ascents actually seem reasonable in these days of throw-away $150 Nikes.  Comes with a Vibram sole and a bunch of crap they made up, but I bet they still outlast any pair of Nikes.

Or do we compare all marks to Sketchers these days?  biggrin

05 MT, cold, sport...black

#1203 2015-06-18 14:29:53

Bryan
why don't you remember my name?
Supporter
User Number: 1768

john_matrix wrote:

Bryan wrote:

What do you guys think about Salewa?

http://www.salewa.us/en/

They look like all the other high quality mountaineering type footwear. Looks nice. I can't afford 'em though.  biggrin

LOL.  I'm having the second interview today.

I'm cold, and there are wolves after me.

#1204 2015-06-18 15:00:31

iamchris
Former Site Owner
Supporter
User Number: 1032

Good luck!

#1205 2015-08-18 11:26:11

hammyt
0_0
Supporter
User Number: 562

Got an REI gift card thru work and got these for $6, did I do good Bryan!?

http://www.rei.com/media/ee/a7357de9-5c18-44c5-9ed4-f537786f09e4.jpg

2005 Saab 9-2x Aero 5MT | 275whp/250wtq | [email protected] | SOLD
2014 Focus ST 6MT | Tuxedo Black | SOLD
2012 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.0 AT | Shiny Blue

#1206 2017-11-07 16:19:00

Pyromancy5
))<>(( Back and forth. Forever.
Supporter
User Number: 3538

https://www.shoes.com/pi/johns/jb/johns756929_286613_jb.jpg

Bump inspired by the buy it for life thread started.  Upgraded the brown dress shoes to Johnson &Murphy Melton Wingtip to something of quality that is worth getting re-soled when they wear out.

So. God. Damned. Comfortable.

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
2014 Nissan Leaf SL, Glacier White, Bose
1981 Yamaha SR500

#1207 2017-11-09 23:35:00

Bryan
Supporter

A good shoe that is made well and fits properly will be insanely comfortable.  Quality costs money - and we're obsessed with cheap shoes in the US.  I know...I sold a fuck ton of cheap shoes for a little while.

Funny that this thread popped up.  Been working for Salewa since after that second interview...

And I just got a pair of these (yes, it's a tech tutorial for a fucking shoe...)

They're stupid comfortable, tons of cushion and the support is excellent, but I do wish the toe box wasn't so roomy, I prefer a closer fit.  Had them on in the Shawnee National Forest last weekend, and they were fantastic on the clay-mud and soft ground, didn't slip on rock either.

#1208 2017-11-10 01:45:19

Azrael
Asshole.
Supporter
User Number: 953
Website

That's really more of a product demonstration than a tutorial.  I still don't know how to tie a shoe.

#1209 2017-11-10 08:36:56

Pyromancy5
Supporter

Bryan, As an industry insider, whats your opinion on Keen?

2005 Linear, 5mt, Satin Gray Metallic, moonroof, ixizsclutch, ixizhood, FHI 21 mm rear sway bar, rear dif guard
1981 Yamaha SR500

#1210 2017-11-10 09:26:49

krazykarguy
Worst ninja editor, ever.
Supporter
User Number: 1944

Also from the 'buy it for lie' thread, these are my latest kicks:

https://slimages.macysassets.com/is/image/MCY/products/6/optimized/3288276_fpx.tif

Clark's Toureg Vibe

2005 Aero 5MT
2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium 6MT - Sterling Gray Metallic

#1211 2017-11-13 13:46:46

Bryan
Supporter

Azrael wrote:

That's really more of a product demonstration than a tutorial.  I still don't know how to tie a shoe.

The same way everyone else does, one leg at a time.

#1212 2017-11-13 13:58:38

Bryan
Supporter

Pyromancy5 wrote:

Hrm.  What aspect?  They have the market pretty much dialed in on the "shandal", paddlesports, boating shoe.  They've taken that same last - the mold a shoe is built around - and made a respectable set of casuals and lightweight trekking/walking shoes.  I like what they're doing with the weave-on-site Uneek shoes, as fuck-ugly as they are...

BUT.  With those positives come a whole shitload of problems because people are fucking stupid.  They are known for having a lot of space in the toe box, all their shoes fit similarly (because they're using the same goddamn last for the entire product line - an action that should keep costs down significantly, but alas, Keens are the same $ as comparable models...), so now there are a bunch of yokels waddling around demanding wides, or rejecting a better fitting, better built, longer lasting piece of footwear because it "looks narrow".  They don't build robust footwear - so any load carrying for any notable distance, the footwear doesn't provide adequate support.  A shoe that lets a foot splay out in all directions, is exacerbating arch, ankle, and knee problems.  I've had customers come in when I work a shop floor, and complain about sore feet.  "But I got these Keens, they're supposed to be good and they're comfortable", and when I measure them out on a Brannock, their arch length increases +2 sizes when they stand...

On the plus side, you can tell someone's perspective on appropriate attire for occasions, fashion sense - and in many small Midwestern towns, a woman's sexual preference - based on whether they are wearing Keens.

TL;DR: Comfortable /= supportive, a "light hiker" is a light shoe first and a hiking shoe second, they're ugly as fuck all, but they do a good job if you ain't carrying shit, or in/out of a boat.

#1213 2017-11-13 15:18:13

Pyromancy5
Supporter

Bryan wrote:

Pyromancy5 wrote:

Hrm.  What aspect?  They have the market pretty much dialed in on the "shandal", paddlesports, boating shoe.  They've taken that same last - the mold a shoe is built around - and made a respectable set of casuals and lightweight trekking/walking shoes.  I like what they're doing with the weave-on-site Uneek shoes, as fuck-ugly as they are...

BUT.  With those positives come a whole shitload of problems because people are fucking stupid.  They are known for having a lot of space in the toe box, all their shoes fit similarly (because they're using the same goddamn last for the entire product line - an action that should keep costs down significantly, but alas, Keens are the same $ as comparable models...), so now there are a bunch of yokels waddling around demanding wides, or rejecting a better fitting, better built, longer lasting piece of footwear because it "looks narrow".  They don't build robust footwear - so any load carrying for any notable distance, the footwear doesn't provide adequate support.  A shoe that lets a foot splay out in all directions, is exacerbating arch, ankle, and knee problems.  I've had customers come in when I work a shop floor, and complain about sore feet.  "But I got these Keens, they're supposed to be good and they're comfortable", and when I measure them out on a Brannock, their arch length increases +2 sizes when they stand...

On the plus side, you can tell someone's perspective on appropriate attire for occasions, fashion sense - and in many small Midwestern towns, a woman's sexual preference - based on whether they are wearing Keens.

TL;DR: Comfortable /= supportive, a "light hiker" is a light shoe first and a hiking shoe second, they're ugly as fuck all, but they do a good job if you ain't carrying shit, or in/out of a boat.

Thanks!  Kinda what I figured.  I wish they had a mid/ high hiker with a little more ankle support. I have a Targagee 2 or 3 as my main hiker now and it's fine for 2-3 day trips with < 35lbs packed.  As a small and wide hobbit like foot (US 8 3E), I really do need a wide-ass shoe to fit, and Keen does that.  When I have dress-up days at work, I wear respectable dress shoes.  1-2 times a week I have to juggle work with hazardous chemicals, or work in shop areas and business meetings, so I'm on my 3rd pair of Keen Austin's in 4 years. IMO, not a bad looking shoe and is robust while wearable with chinos or even slacks if needed.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUSFxUviP10W61w5ElGNkq5ScYiux4_ZYtzRjHZbnNhyzaR0B5JZTbS_9RJWHkMN1-53ZeaE8&amp;usqp=CAY

Sneakers are pretty much all New Balance, because they offer wide widths.  If there are any other hiking boot or dress shoe companies that offer wide widths, LMK.

Last edited by Pyromancy5 (2017-11-13 15:23:37)

1981 Yamaha SR500

#1214 2017-11-13 18:28:30

hyperboarder
WhosaChris?
Supporter
User Number: 2114
Website

I literally have a pair of those under my desk right now.  When I ride my bike to work I change into them here.  No qualms and I've had them since like 2010.

#1215 2017-11-15 16:52:37

Bryan
Supporter

Right - they build a good shoe.  Looks are subjective, of course...but for serious use, there are better options.

RE: pyro's wide issue.  When's the last time you got measured/sized on a Brannock?  There are a couple reasons why companies do and don't make wide widths - one of those is that actual wide feet, feet that really measure past E, are not very common.  Like less than 5%...by and large, the people I worked with who came in saying they needed a certain width, once measuring them, learned they've been buying the wrong size shoes and aren't really a double or triple E.  I'm skeptical because experience, nothing personal.

The other reason is that shoes are developed off of lasts.  A last is a 3-d mold created to copy the shape of a socked foot - and they are normally very proprietary, unique by model, there's a last for each size available within a model, and each individual last can cost close to $40k.  So a style of shoe in one brand that ranges from USM 7 to USM 15 would require 14 lasts at roughly $560,000, not including material costs, development (which gets amortized over a brand if its a midsole material like Gumflate or a standardized EVA/PU), patterns for the upper fabrics, QCA, marketing (product images), and sampling...you're looking at about a million bucks per style just to create an availability for market - before an actual consumer product is released for retail purchase.  When you start making and developing widths, you're doubling/tripling a cost depending on what kinds of widths you offer, and without the volume of sales (remember, less than 5%) to maintain even an operational margin on a style, it just isn't done unless that company has a shortcut by recycling lasts into "new" styles, using the same lasts across a product line, or another solution that eliminates differences in your brand's offering.  On one hand...if people fit into it, great, you have a repeat customer, but if they don't...they'll never look at your product again.  It's a big gamble to take when you don't know how the market will react to all that R&D.  Keen gambled.  New Balance was onto that game early on, though...but look at who the market leaders are.  NB is in the midpack.

Short of it is that there aren't a lot of brands that play in the "wide" market because there isn't much of one, and it's expensive as hell.  Most are successful by offering a range of fits and styles to capture the bulk of the marketplace, and there are a few ways that an experienced boot/shoe fitter (like myself and other Phil Oren graduates/trainers) can modify a shoe to fit that unusual "real" wide foot.

Folks that DO make wides: Merrell (and a couple other Wolverine brands), Vasque/Redwing, NB, and Lowa all come to mind.  But if you haven't been...get measured and fitted.  Even if you're really wide, you'll get much better service anyway.

Board footer

Site problems, bugs, or questions? Contact Administrator
All content copyright Saab92x.com 2005-2010
SAAB and the SAAB logos are trademarks of Saab Cars USA, Inc.